• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

Driveclub is rather wank with the pad, but with a wheel (thanks to Gimx) it's sensational.

What's the ETA on the track path editor? I need some better tracks... also please don't skimp on the maximum length and fuck up like Polyphony.

And how about fixing the weird cockpit camera of the X-bow? To me it looks like it slides side to side? It's very off putting whatever it is.

I don't think they annonced a track editor . however rushy teased new tracks in 2016

5taquitos

Driveclub is rather wank with the pad, but with a wheel (thanks to Gimx) it's sensational.

What's the ETA on the track path editor? I need some better tracks... also please don't skimp on the maximum length and fuck up like Polyphony.

And how about fixing the weird cockpit camera of the X-bow? To me it looks like it slides side to side? It's very off putting whatever it is.

There will never be a track editor, you can mark this post if you want.

Damn, really! Why the fuck have I (and most other people I know) been playing it like that for the past year then....

Well, maybe you and the others liked the pad? I found the DS4 to be a piece of shit, even with all the extra thumb attachments and what not. It sullied Driveclub for me and made be abandon the game, but some Gimxy love has reunited us - can't wait for the track path editor.

Its the best gamepad racer I've ever played. I can make extremely small adjustments and define long smooth progressive curves of input via the sticks and the triggers. Or maybe the DS4 just feels easier to do this with.

Other racers feel more tuned to wheel users, with the controller being totally usable, but not as fine grained in terms of input, so tiny motions might not register at all, and then you reach that point beyond the deadzone where your input causes the car to make small lurches left or right.

Makikou

Well, maybe you and the others liked the pad? I found the DS4 to be a piece of shit, even with all the extra thumb attachments and what not. It sullied Driveclub for me and made be abandon the game, but some Gimxy love has reunited us - can't wait for the track path editor.

But there won't be one.. mark my words.

farmerboy

Kids and limited space means I can't have my wheel set up permanently. I left a bunch of 8 yo's alone with DC and the wheel for some fun. 15 min later they came into the kitchen and handed me the wheel. Somehow they had detached it from the base. OMG I nearly went Hulk at that moment.

As such, the wheel remains a nightly endeavour, when I feel like some pCARS. Which, incidentally is a great game, yet somehow I still find DC more "fun", if you know what I mean.

I've remained a pad player with DC, as I can literally get into a race in a minute and I can't be bothered spending 5 min getting the wheel set up. Good thing is, that DC controls wonderfully on the pad and really does feel like a different game on the wheel.

Shaneus

Admittedly I only played DC with a wheel via GIMX for about an hour or so, but I think it's far better with a pad IMO. Maybe I was just let down by the pretty average/barebones FFB implementation.

They're adding to cars what the bikes have, where if you're cornering the tyre deforms. Just a visual thing for photo mode shots really.
Ahhh. I must've missed that bit of info. Shame it's only cosmetic.

Talking of things cosmetic (and otherwise) I'd love to see pad vibration tweaked and detailed more. I recall playing games where you'd feel the slightest thing like going over rumble strips and even slight changes in evenness on the road (not even change in road surface), maybe it was PGR4. But I don't get that feeling anywhere near as much with DC, it's like it has only a handful of levels of vibration it can use.

farmerboy

Admittedly I only played DC with a wheel via GIMX for about an hour or so, but I think it's far better with a pad IMO. Maybe I was just let down by the pretty average/barebones FFB implementation.

Yeah I think it's definitely pad centric for sure. After coming off pCARS the FFB definitely felt bare bones as you say.

kie25

Yeah I think it's definitely pad centric for sure. After coming off pCARS the FFB definitely felt bare bones as you say.

This has been the thing I've said since day 1, the game feels very geared towards the pad in my view, the wheel is still great fun though once you got used to it. Project cars is the opposite that's game is more geared towards wheel, to be fair when Driveclub came out there was very few people who owned a wheel for ps4, so Evo probably made a sensible choice in the way they made the game very pad orientated.

Also for anyone looking for a wheel in uk check out currys/PC World T150 only £104.99 G29 £179.99 with shifter 204.99 I think it was also.

kie25

I think the rev limiter has reduced a lot of the MT advantages you used to get in the GT games (using downshifting for additional braking) - the other advantages of MT like being able to short shift up to reduce wheelspin you can still do in AT (like Maki says).

That'd be an interesting list to see! :)

Is this based on fame, challenge performance or some other stats that we don't see?

DJW uses chase camera, EB4 also uses chase camera and auto gears, if anything chase camera has advantages as you can see more the track from higher view, I used to use dash and chase camera on pad, with manual, with wheel I mainly use dash camera some cars bonnet also, just depends. People that play with a wheel and still use chase camera really confuse me it's just weird. Manual and auto doesn't really have any difference, just manual provides a better driving experience, even project cars seems very well optimised with auto gears. I for 1 with a wheel would never use auto gears, even on a pad I have to use manual gears now.

drotahorror

Won't really get to test out a wheel and gear shift til after xmas, but the short time I did spend with it manual was rough!

I drive a stick IRL but was doing awful in Driveclub. I would forget what gear I was in or not shift properly. Probably just takes some practice, I only spent a couple minutes with it before packing it up.

What's the go with drift leaderboards? I thought drifting got fixed so as to not make sliding out into a wall give the most points yet most of the top scores / ghosts are still doing just that. Some of these challenges I can barely get half of what the top players are getting. The only difference I can see is that I'm trying to do it properly, like real life drifting.

What's the go with drift leaderboards? I thought drifting got fixed so as to not make sliding out into a wall give the most points yet most of the top scores / ghosts are still doing just that. Some of these challenges I can barely get half of what the top players are getting. The only difference I can see is that I'm trying to do it properly, like real life drifting.
Care to post some exemples of races with weird ghosts ?

The ghosts weren't weird other than they were just sliding out into a wall rather than keeping momentum and sticking to the track. I suppose they do it because it gives the most points which isn't right. Kinda like how drifting use to be before they supposedly fixed it.

I'd have to check when I get home from work but I'm pretty sure they were in tour events in the elements and redline tours. Pretty sure I witnessed the same in some Evo Studios challenges as well.

drotahorror

The ghosts weren't weird other than they were just sliding out into a wall rather than keeping momentum and sticking to the track. I suppose they do it because it gives the most points which isn't right. Kinda like how drifting use to be before they supposedly fixed it.

I'd have to check when I get home from work but I'm pretty sure they were in tour events in the elements and redline tours. Pretty sure I witnessed the same in some Evo Studios challenges as well.

A while back I posted something about the drift challenges that seemed impossible. Someone figured it out and posted a video.

Here it is

Yeah I've been trying to work out the trick. Again it looks like speedzone drifting. I'm pretty sure people are drifting from the first drift zone, through the speedzone and into the second. Getting the angle right is almost impossible though!

Edit: here you go, finally cracked it! https://youtu.be/O_PfW1VEhtM

Start at that post and work your way back if you want to read into it.

farmerboy

Probably wrong thread but I've now found another game that's made my jaw drop just like DC.

Battlefront. And its a fairly solid 60fps.

It's made me think that DC could get bloody close to 60fps if they made it a goal.

We are gonna get some truly amazing looking games this gen. Can't wait to see Evo's next effort

Going back a while the TEH-CJ was caught out in a blatant lie after bragging about setting driveclub world records then accusing someone of cheating when they beat him by several seconds. A bit of a tool really and best ignored.

lol, good ol' detective GAF.

What's the ETA on the track path editor?

Probably around the same time of the other features that nobody else asked for or cares about.

desu

Guys, I need help with yet another drifting challenge. It's the Maserati Drift. I uploaded my clip to Youtube. My best score were 9000 but I need 9200.

Not an expert but it seems you just need to get a lot more points in that last corner, should be more like 2-3k points there since its just a very long corner and you're coming in with a lot of speed.

Pachimari

Not an expert but it seems you just need to get a lot more points in that last corner, should be more like 2-3k points there since its just a very long corner and you're coming in with a lot of speed.

I got 2000 points once but I don't know how to tackle the last corner properly.

Sirenty

Guys, I need help with yet another drifting challenge. It's the Maserati Drift. I uploaded my clip to Youtube. My best score were 9000 but I need 9200.

It might be easier to do in chase cam instead of hood cam. I find it easier to see where the car is in relation to the corner for drifting, and easier to control the angle.

The first corner wasn't bad points-wise. It looked like you went straight in and then turned left and tried to drift, which caused you to go more straight and end up in the gravel. Try flicking the car right and then left and then starting the drift. Also try braking or letting off the gas slightly after the apex so you don't run into the gravel. The gravel kills your speed for the next corner and points are all about speed (sadly).

You did the flick on the next corner, but you should still get a lot more points. For that, don't let off the gas at all. Keep it hammered through the speed zone, flick left then right and press O. Keep it hammered through the turn,

You got good speed points before the third corner. For the third drift zone, you went to start the drift around where the last braking marker is before the drift zone starts. Again, flick right then left. Though since you are already turning left, maybe more let off stick then left again.

The last couple corners were good enough for getting the third star.

I just ran it and doing the above I had 8600 when I entered the last speed zone and 10K+ entering the last drift. I can post a video once I figure out how to export a replay.

Just got a ps4. Is the free ps+ edition still up or did they remove it? I can't seem to find it in the store.

They removed it after 3-4 months. However, the full game plus season pass bundle is on sale right now for around 10 GBP/13 EUR this weekend. That's a crazy good deal, provided that you enjoy the driving of course. The season pass has already ended, but it includes all the payable DLC that has been released from launch to august this year. The only thing that isn't included is the recent Driveclub Bikes expansion.

Loving this game. Is there a GAF club?

Also how do I get to the liveries I got from the season pass?

You unlock them by completing the season pass tours.

I got 2000 points once but I don't know how to tackle the last corner properly.

I think you could earn more than enough points even prior to the last corner. Have you considered using chase cam for drift events? While it's fun, i can't really do drifts efficiently in cockpit or any other first person cam.

Edit: Had a quick go at it and i'm uploading the clip for you now.

Edit 2: Here you go. This is by no means a perfect run, i botched the third drift zone a bit and the last corner could have been better, bu it's more than enough for 3 stars.

Pachimari

It might be easier to do in chase cam instead of hood cam. I find it easier to see where the car is in relation to the corner for drifting, and easier to control the angle.

The first corner wasn't bad points-wise. It looked like you went straight in and then turned left and tried to drift, which caused you to go more straight and end up in the gravel. Try flicking the car right and then left and then starting the drift. Also try braking or letting off the gas slightly after the apex so you don't run into the gravel. The gravel kills your speed for the next corner and points are all about speed (sadly).

You did the flick on the next corner, but you should still get a lot more points. For that, don't let off the gas at all. Keep it hammered through the speed zone, flick left then right and press O. Keep it hammered through the turn,

You got good speed points before the third corner. For the third drift zone, you went to start the drift around where the last braking marker is before the drift zone starts. Again, flick right then left. Though since you are already turning left, maybe more let off stick then left again.

The last couple corners were good enough for getting the third star.

I just ran it and doing the above I had 8600 when I entered the last speed zone and 10K+ entering the last drift. I can post a video once I figure out how to export a replay.

I think you could earn more than enough points even prior to the last corner. Have you considered using chase cam for drift events? While it's fun, i can't really do drifts efficiently in cockpit or any other first person cam.

Edit: Had a quick go at it and i'm uploading the clip for you now.

Edit 2: Here you go. This is by no means a perfect run, i botched the third drift zone a bit and the last corner could have been better, bu it's more than enough for 3 stars.
Woah, I forgot to use chase cam! Thank you so much for the tips and video. I finally did it, and now I can move on to the Pro line of races in the tour! :)

I have just got back into this game after a few months away from it. Realised I am only 2 trophies from platinum. I need to win my own challenges. Is this glitched? As I've won loads I sent out but it hasn't popped. Last one is the Grind to max out accolades.

Just working my way through all the season pass content and getting all the stars. 100% everything so far (up to the midnight pack). The core gameplay is just so fun and it just looks so damn pretty. What are people's thoughts on the bike expansion?

There's plenty clubs, it's just that you can only have 6 persons in 1 club.. Thus it's kinda problematic at times.

Just need to wait for replies i guess.. :(

lol wut?

are you serious?

i saw a bunch of GAF clubs but saw there were only 6 members in them and figured no one was playing anymore.

Ainsz

I have just got back into this game after a few months away from it. Realised I am only 2 trophies from platinum. I need to win my own challenges. Is this glitched? As I've won loads I sent out but it hasn't popped. Last one is the Grind to max out accolades.

Not sure if the challenge trophy is glitched, but it didn't seem to work for me either. Ended up having to complete one of my own challenges on a different account. Fortunately, you don't need PS Plus to compete in challenges.

Just working my way through all the season pass content and getting all the stars. 100% everything so far (up to the midnight pack). The core gameplay is just so fun and it just looks so damn pretty. What are people's thoughts on the bike expansion?
It was glitched in the past. I won dozens of my own challenges and didn't get the trophy, but now it works. Just send 5 private challenges to a friend and make sure he loses. When the time is up, you'll get your trophy.

Rushy

For those in the EU today is the last day you can get DRIVECLUB at the quite frankly ridiculous Black Friday Sale prices! Get it before it's gone:

DRIVECLUB 35% off original price Was €29.99 Now €19.49 (£16.24)
DRIVECLUB Full Game for PlayStation Plus 35% off original price Was €14.99 Now €9.74 (£7.79)
DRIVECLUB Full Game for PlayStation Plus & Season Pass Bundle 35% off original price Was €19.99 Now €12.99 (£10.39)

And the Season Pass is still £5 for another 3 days.

Auctopus

For those in the EU today is the last day you can get DRIVECLUB at the quite frankly ridiculous Black Friday Sale prices! Get it before it's gone:

DRIVECLUB Full Game for PlayStation Plus 35% off original price Was €14.99 Now €9.74 (£7.79)
DRIVECLUB Full Game for PlayStation Plus & Season Pass Bundle 35% off original price Was €19.99 Now €12.99 (£10.39)

Ridiculous.

Makikou

Jamie Brayshaw teasing a new paint type called flake paint, coming to DRIVECLUB in December:

Jamie Brayshaw ‏@PhenomEvolution
Sneak preview: one of the new custom paint types coming to #DRIVECLUB in December is flake paint. What do you think?

CVE3lMuW4AAZd-i.png:large

EDIT: More new paint types will be shown throughout the week.

Paul Rustchynsky @Rushy33 30s
New Paint Types are coming to #DRIVECLUB in December. We'll show you more throughout the week.

AndyD

aka andydumi

Wish we had that in the US. Still wanting the pass and bikes but I have yet to get through all the regular content.

Top Bottom