• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB: Photomode |OT| The better you look, the more you can get away with.

lightbox
Help My photos from flickr don't show when I post them. What am I doing wrong?? BTW I'm new here.

From this page.

15828682160_9f370d8a90_o.jpg

Love the reflections in this pic, such as the suspension reflecting off another part of the car.

Have the developers let on with the number of polygons in a car? I know that used to be a 1-up thing back with each gran Turismo was released. I look at the welds and the little struts that could be hexagonal without anyone knowing, but appear to be round, and wonder what the poly count is.
edit: ok I should have googled. 250k on average.

I remember people claiming 500k per premium GT5 car (in photo mode). I wonder whether the polygon arms race has topped out.

Putty

Have the developers let on with the number of polygons in a car? I know that used to be a 1-up thing back with each gran Turismo was released. I look at the welds and the little struts that could be hexagonal without anyone knowing, but appear to be round, and wonder what the poly count is.

I remember people claiming 500k per premium GT5 car (in photo mode). I wonder whether the polygon arms race has topped out.

Diminishing returns. I think there comes a point where things are just good enough. Spend the additional resources on something else.

Diminishing returns. I think there comes a point where things are just good enough. Spend the additional resources on something else.

well it is clear that a polygon with material based shaders and good lighting is worth 10 polygons that are flat textured. So there is still an arms race it isn't just geometry though.

Putty

well it is clear that a polygon with material based shaders and good lighting is worth 10 polygons that are flat textured. So there is still an arms race it isn't just geometry though.

Sure, that's what I'm saying. The numbers game is becoming irrelevant, it's how the numbers are represented. I don't think GT7 or F6 will have a gazillion polys, probably as much as what DC and F5 have. I am curious to see what PD do with their material shaders given just how fab they were on PS3.

If a game like this features a photo mode, post processing and visual tweaks... would PR screenshots be considered bullshots? I mean, if you can recreate them in game...

If a game like this features a photo mode, post processing and visual tweaks... would PR screenshots be considered bullshots? I mean, if you can recreate them in game...
I don't consider those PR screens bullshots at all. Racing game PR have been doing that since photo mode was first implemented. Not sure what game did it first, my first time was with PGR3

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Nice screenshots, but how about some photography folks!? You know, like we got in the Infamous: Second Son thread. I'd be interested to see photographs that didn't represent the game but rather the gamers sense of perspective.

Corine

Yes both photomode and pr screens are bullshots. Only screens that aren't are of unaltered real-time gameplay.

I don't consider those PR screens bullshots at all. Racing game PR have been doing that since photo mode was first implemented. Not sure what game did it first, my first time was with PGR3

Yes both photomode and pr screens are bullshots. Only screens that aren't are of unaltered real-time gameplay.
I meant any game with a photomode. It came to me when someone said it was almost like a game itself finding the right shot/angle/effect. Afterall, it is a mode within the game but I realize that's disingenuous lol.

le-seb

What resolution does DC photo mode output to? Pisses me off that 360 & PS3 racers could do 8MP but my X1 racer ( F5 ) is a paltry 1080P...
Since it's using the standard PS4 share features, it's limited to 1080p, too.

That being said, not sure what's the interest in generating 8MP pictures.
Do you print them after that, or something?

mp1990

Banned
Hell,the photo mode + weather sold me on the game,and i'm terrible and don't like racing games. Picking up as soon as possible !

That being said, not sure what's the interest in generating 8MP pictures.
Do you print them after that, or something?

It's possible but I think the main appeal of huge images is the mega sharpness you get when you scale them back down to 1080p, as opposed to an already 1080p shot with compression on it.

I wish you could "like" forums posts. Some of these pictures are insane. I mean, sure, Evo provided an amazing canvas and set of tools to play with, but the artistic intent in a lot of these photos...

Bravo, GAF. Bra-fucking-vo.

Gentlemen, we are almost truly at the point where auto manufacturers can generate their entire marketing campaign in an interactive game environment! Just WOW!

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I gotta say, this game is probably one of the most beautiful things i've ever seen, racing game or not. I'll probably be picking it up before too long. Hopefully its kind to casual arcade racing game fans.

Yes, its 250 thousand for 1080p and 30fps. To know what kind of sacrifices 60fps brings, Project Cars Ultra settings on PC has the cars at around 250-300 thousand as well.

On PS4 on XB1 however, to get to 60fps at 1080p they are using the "high" setting, which has cars at around 60,000 polygon's instead. Of course unlike the PC version of the high setting, they are smoothing out a lot of the cars with traditional bump mapping techniques specifically for the console version so it isn't so obvious. But there is a reduction there in the models, on the insides, even though the outsides look similar.

Top Bottom