• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub PlayStation Plus Edition (Out Now)

Nyx

Holy Shit. This game is stunning. Wow. I've read so much about the visuals, but finally playing the game itself is flooring me right now. On top of all this, there's a great arcade/sim feel to the controls that strikes a sweet spot in difficulty. Reminds me of Rallisport Challenge 2 in that regard.

The motion blur is godly in this--and I hate motion blur generally. Man. Good stuff.

If you haven't already, try the Dam Busters event in the Startline tour.

8 laps in a McLaren 12c starting in the sun, ending in a heavy storm.

MMaRsu

Holy Shit. This game is stunning. Wow. I've read so much about the visuals, but finally playing the game itself is flooring me right now. On top of all this, there's a great arcade/sim feel to the controls that strikes a sweet spot in difficulty. Reminds me of Rallisport Challenge 2 in that regard.

The motion blur is godly in this--and I hate motion blur generally. Man. Good stuff.

The full game is totally worth it, its so damn good. Also the content from the season pass is godly.

AndyD

aka andydumi

Is it just India? Because I think the other regions are actually better looking. Do you have access to the starter tour or whatever, a race from each location?

RedAssedApe

Banned
oh god. the difficulty ramps up so quickly for me after like the first two tour events. i can't handle turns at all on these faster cars. i'm like playing pinball instead of racing lol

you guys getting the platinums must have god reflexes. o_o

Curufinwe

i could have sworn that at their e3 conference they announced that Driveclub would be the first free PS4 game on PS+ at launch. Then they later said it would be a "ps+ edition".

Right there in capital letters: PS PLUS EDITION

E3-2013-PlayStation-Plus-PS4-DriveClub.jpg

Just to confirm process to DL the full game trial?
After that, it queues up a 10GB update file, and a 2.7GB game file.
But once the game file is downloaded and installs, it re-queues as a 15.7GB application file with 2.7/15.7GB downloaded.

Is this the experience everyone else had too?

Same for me, It does not say playstation + version tho, it's called Driveclub Full Trial demo.... Did i just download the wrong thing? Where exactly is this PS+ version because i can't find it. Did i just download some timed demo for the full version?

Hugstable

Banned

Wait til you see India and The snowy mountain (I haven't played in a bit so I forgot the location name rofl)

oh god. the difficulty ramps up so quickly for me after like the first two tour events. i can't handle turns at all on these faster cars. i'm like playing pinball instead of racing lol

you guys getting the platinums must have god reflexes. o_o

It's worth breaking before a turn.

Only tip I have for you.

NewDust

Same for me, It does not say playstation + version tho, it's called Driveclub Full Trial demo.... Did i just download the wrong thing? Where exactly is this PS+ version because i can't find it.
You have the right thing... It's the full game, but with locked content.

Dat moment, when the 2.7GB download completes, then it turns into a 15GB download and you still have to wait for update...

This, god damn it, this. I am still downloading even though it has been for a while now. PSN servers are terrible when it comes to download speeds.

This, god damn it, this. I am still downloading even though it has been for a while now. PSN servers are terrible when it comes to download speeds.

I know right hahaha, when it started it was 2.7gb, i'm like... this is small but then came the 10gb file i'm oh ok there we go. But THEN another 15gb was added to the download. LOL

Just tried the game last night. The game looks absolutely amazing. And the controls are really really tight and I am usually not good at driving games but I was able to play it much better than other racers even the first time. I'll probably be buying the full game after this taster.

BulletTheory

Neo Member
Mine has been downloading all day (80 mb fibre line) and then the download cancelled at 80% ;//////

Looking forward to trying this out though! Does the PS+ version have the weather update stuff? :3

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Sony's servers weren't ready! Downloading at a steady 2mb a sec out of my available 20!

Bring on 7 hours time when I'll be in bed :D
Internet speed is measured in bits not Bytes
Your 20Mb speed is actually 2mbps not 20MBps

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
The weather is a bit much. Seems like every race so far is in the middle of monsoon season.

How about a race on a clear day? Like... how 80% of all races are everywhere?

GameSeeker

Looking forward to trying this out though! Does the PS+ version have the weather update stuff? :3

Yes, the PS+ version has exactly the same features as the full version: weather (no snow in India though), replays and Photo Mode. Definitely check out the Photo Mode, it's very slick and you can take some gorgeous photos.

GameSeeker

The weather is a bit much. Seems like every race so far is in the middle of monsoon season.

The weather settings are fully adjustable before every race, so set it up as you prefer (except for the tour races, which are the same conditions for everyone).

Gestault

As far as I know the only weather available in tour mode is in the paid DLC expansions. Otherwise you'd have to choose a free play race and specifically set the weather. Which version are you using?

Excellent.

Nyx

The entire original tour (256 stars iirc) has no weather at all, think that's why a lot of DLC events do have it.

As far as I know the only weather available in tour mode is in the paid DLC expansions. Otherwise you'd have to choose a free play race and specifically set the weather. Which version are you using?

I'm assuming the PS+ Edition with the Startline Tour. That new tour has a lot of races with weather.

Rushy confirmed in this thread that the paid DLC works with the PS+ version (i.e., not needing the full version of the game), but has it been confirmed that the free DLC works with the PS+ edition? If so, the free tours we got after launch were pre-weather and would be what Evolved1 is looking for.

EDIT: Looks like Evo is considering it. I hope they do allow the free DLC to work with the PS+ version. Otherwise, it's going to be confusing.

So. What's the general consensus for you newbies? I've had the game since Day1 and I want to know how you're liking it guys!

It's a pure racer. No open world filler, collectible or stuff like that. Here, only beautifully crafted tracks in outstanding environements. It can look and feel barebown coming from crazy stuff like Forza Horizon 2, Burnout Paradise or the latest Need for Speed, but if you dig the racing aspect, the pleasure of driving on these roads, on learning the track a bit to get better, to start taking apex lines more and more agressively, you will feel rewarded because the game is very generous at giving you this pleasure, rather that collectathon and bars to fill.

Also, beautiful scenery + dynamic weather + dynamic time of day : breathtaking courses that are changing from sunny afternoon to heavy snow fall in the night by the end of the race and it's crazy to drive in a extreme and changing conditions.

Also, beautiful cars.

Kinda wish i could download this version (even though I have the full game) only so I could educate myself on what exactly this version has to offer. I mean, I know pretty much what it contains, I'd just sort of like to see it firsthand, No big.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Pretty good game so far. Rallisport comparisons seem apt. May end up buying the full game eventually with season pass if I get into it further. The PS+ demo seems to really only give a tiny portion of the sheer amount of events and cars available, and I better understand how tours work now that I have played a few.

Only 6 members to a club is kind of lame though. Was hoping and expecting a giant GAF club to join, unless I am naive to how it all works, but meh.

Wish I had a PS4 wheel too. These types of games are VASTLY more enjoyable with one.

GutsOfThor

Is the demo version the same thing as the Plus version? I can't get the link in the op to work for whatever reason so I'm just downloading the demo from the store.

Vlaphor

I would totally not mind easier options. I keep failing to crack the top 10 in each race. Maybe I just need to change my mindset and how I play the game (the last racer I really put any time into was Dirt 2), but I really wouldn't be against a drive line option.

nib95

Banned
its probably just me. i'm hitting things even on green turns on the tour events where they make you drive like a ferrari

How is your driving line? Are you following race line rules? If you keep to the opposite side of the road, to the direction the turn is, and hug the apex as you turn in, you should have far more leeway with turning angles, and get much faster exit speeds.

Following these sorts of lines, even in Super and Hyper cars you can take most Green flag turns without any braking.

racing-line-late-apex.png

racinglines.jpg

Huh. Looks like because I own it on disk already, I can't start the PS+ Edition unless the disk is in, negating the convenience of playing it off the hard drive. I guess if I want to play off the hard drive, I'll need to buy the full game again. At $24.99 that's not too crazy a thought.

The things about the clubs is, after all the hours I've put into the game, all they really do is combine the efforts of everyone in that club to the total club score. Which in turn opens up liveries and that sort of thing. I never actually have that much interaction with my club members aside from maybe the occasional challenge. Which can be fun, don't get me wrong, but it kind of renders the size of the clubs a bit irrelevant.

MaxiLive

Internet speed is measured in bits not Bytes
Your 20Mb speed is actually 2mbps not 20MBps

Sorry I'm on a 152Mb connection so it usually downloads at 19-20mbps. My bad on the confusion! It is still going hella slow now up to 13 hours...

Bluenoser

Same for me, It does not say playstation + version tho, it's called Driveclub Full Trial demo.... Did i just download the wrong thing? Where exactly is this PS+ version because i can't find it. Did i just download some timed demo for the full version?

Once you get the "trial" installed it calls itself PS+ Edition, so it's the right one.

Weird DL though. It started with 2 files- a game file and an update file. Then once game file installed, it switched to a large application file. Then once update file finished, it switched to a larger file which was 27GB total. The DL was cumulative though, so any progress was put towards the large file. All told, maybe 2-3 hour download. I was working so I wasn't paying much attention.

Top Bottom