• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub PlayStation Plus Edition (Out Now)

Garryk

Eh, if I could have anything as an option it would be to add a drive line to follow like in Forza. We kinda get this in the cornering face-offs, but I would like a permanent option.

I don't think the AI is too hard, but the time trials can be brutal. Make one mistake and you might as well start over if you're going for 3/3 stars. Not all time trials and hot laps are like this, but Venom hot lap and the Lycan hot lap were really hard for me.

Liamario

Banned
On a 70mb connection and the game should be downloaded in two days. This is NOT my set up. I can download multiple files on psn and they all download at the same rate of about 200kbs. Even with just one going, it downloads at the same rate

djjinx2

Eh, if I could have anything as an option it would be to add a drive line to follow like in Forza. We kinda get this in the cornering face-offs, but I would like a permanent option.

I don't think the AI is too hard, but the time trials can be brutal. Make one mistake and you might as well start over if you're going for 3/3 stars. Not all time trials and hot laps are like this, but Venom hot lap and the Lycan hot lap were really hard for me.

If this game had a driving line I wouldn't ever bother with it

Luckily it didn't and I was day one with season pass as well.

Loudninja

Oh ok. I didn't know they started rolling it out yet. Cool beans.
Yeah.
Starting on Thursday, all PlayStation Plus members can download Driveclub PS Plus Edition and begin playing the offline mode. Also starting Thursday, we will be rolling out online access to the Driveclub PS Plus Edition and will steadily bring more and more players online while continuously ensuring that all game systems are running smoothly. We know that this might be frustrating after your extra wait already, but hope you can understand that we are taking extra precautions to protect your experience when you do get online. We want to make sure we don’t overload the servers as we invite millions of PS Plus members to download the game tomorrow.

Portugeezer

This game is pretty fun.

Throttling it at night time with stormy weather on is fucking terrifying. Lightning strikes are a godsend when you get them.

The HUD is ugly though, luckily you can turn things off, but the small challenges during races, whilst distracting, are also fun because it goes towards levelling up and unlocking stuff.

Raistlin

It took me a while to learn it , but yeah, this is the way to take the green and even most yellow curves

To be fair, that's how you're supposed to drive in a real race and any racing game / simulator that has remotely accurate physics.

On a 70mb connection and the game should be downloaded in two days. This is NOT my set up. I can download multiple files on psn and they all download at the same rate of about 200kbs. Even with just one going, it downloads at the same rate
Have you tried downloading while in sleep mode? It can sometimes help.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
is a driving line literally a visual indicator on the track that shows you were you should be?

Yup.
In some instances they not only tell you where to be but also tell you how to brake/accelerate based on current speed. (red = brake, yellow = coast, green = acc)

They are good for training, but take away from the fun of the game imo.

Loudninja

I thought by "online" they were talking about online MP, rather than the challenges, etc?
All connected.

We have to take this precaution because Driveclub connectivity is demanding for a multiplayer game, with countless ever-growing social connections across clubs, challenges, multiplayer, and hundreds of thousands of dynamic leaderboards and activity feeds.

I thought by "online" they were talking about online MP, rather than the challenges, etc?

It's all of it, the actual MP racing would probably be fine, it was the challenges and leaderboards that killed the servers back at launch. Everything is constantly communicating and sending/pulling times and laps from all your friends which is what gives you the online faceoffs during single player races

Garryk

If this game had a driving line I wouldn't ever bother with it

Luckily it didn't and I was day one with season pass as well.

That seems like a weird stance to take since it would be an option. But then again, this wouldn't be a driving game thread without some hipsterism.

You can also put mp3s in a music folder on a USB stick and play music that way. Just saying that's an option as well if you don't have a Spotify sub.

That too, but I like to drop in, play couple of random events and drop out. And for that the random Spotify playlist works wonders.

Cess007

To be fair, that's how you're supposed to drive in a real race and any racing game / simulator that has remotely accurate physics.

Yeah, it just that not just a SIM racing guy, i'm more used to arcade racers. Tho, i used to love GT3, but there has been a long time since then :p

Time to relearn some stuff to take those curves without crashing lol The flags are actually very useful once you get the color code

kyser73

That seems like a weird stance to take since it would be an option. But then again, this wouldn't be a driving game thread without some hipsterism.

I'm sorry for your loss of a stupid crutch that was just about the worst feature ever introduced to racing games to make them
more 'accessible', but #nodrivinglines is one of the reasons DC is so great.

It's an old school racer where you learn to drive a track, not follow a line. Same goes for rewinds.

Got a question guys. It downloaded the 2.7GB PlayGO part but it doesn't start. It says ''title is updating'' or whatever the shit it is. If i am gonna need an update, why the fuck there is PlayGO? Anyway around this?

Garryk

I'm sorry for your loss of a stupid crutch that was just about the worst feature ever introduced to racing games to make them

It's an old school racer where you learn to drive a track, not follow a line. Same goes for rewinds.

So why do they have it for the cornering face-offs?

Portugeezer

Got a question guys. It downloaded the 2.7GB PlayGO part but it doesn't start. It says ''title is updating'' or whatever the shit it is. If i am gonna need an update, why the fuck there is PlayGO? Anyway around this?

Once it downloads the update, there will still be the rest of the application data to download (but you will be able to play as that downloads), which will end in about 30GB's total.

I think it's a forced update or something, the 2GB requires the 10GB update, or does PlayGo normally require updates? Problem here is that the update is much larger than the base game.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

you can disable your net connection and reboot your ps4/game.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Sorry I'm on a 152Mb connection so it usually downloads at 19-20mbps. My bad on the confusion! It is still going hella slow now up to 13 hours...
Same here, 152Mb with virgin but my PS4 connection varys thou from 30Mb to 60Mb but the fastest I've seen it download is 5Mbps.
I have yet to see this 152Mb connection of mine in any test.

Gestault

I always get so mad when I start a game and see an option menu. Pandering bullshit. These morons must think people come to games for different reasons and with different experience.

So why do they have it for the cornering face-offs?
Because that driving line isn't there to aid you, its a challenge that rewards you points for sticking to it. It doesn't even highlight brake points like traditional lines do.

I can see how that might be an odd distinction for some, but its presence serves a completely different function.

Once it downloads the update, there will still be the rest of the application data to download (but you will be able to play as that downloads), which will end in about 30GB's total.

I think it's a forced update or something, the 2GB requires the 10GB update, or does PlayGo normally require updates? Problem here is that the update is much larger than the base game.

I buy all of my games on PSN and never encountered a game which required to download an update upon starting via PlayGo. I mean not that its so important but i just bought Arkham Knight as well and have to download that too. My download speed is 3 or 4 MBps or something here. So it just sucks.

you can disable your net connection and reboot your ps4/game.

That worked for me. Thank you very much.

I've always maintained that DC doesn't have a driving line as an option because they want everyone to be on an even playing field. As the game is constantly presenting you with challenges, that aspect of competing against other racers even if you're driving solo is always there. I believe its omission was a balancing decision.

KiraXD

DRIVECLUB PlayStation®Plus Edition includes:
• Every DRIVECLUB™ feature: from online multiplayer matches and challenges, to offline solo racing, Tour events, customisation, replays, Photo Mode and more.

yes that didnt answer anything. i asked earlier if challenges were part of the rollout:

But i cant do challenges without upgrading to full, so i cant get challenge related trophies with PS+

or is this one of the locked-until-server-stability-is-good features?

Since challenges are locked right now:
4hBFRBI.jpg

They'll be available, Evo's just slowly rolling out the online features so everything doesn't dump on their servers all at once.

THATS what i was wondering... thanks!

nib95

Banned
I've always maintained that DC doesn't have a driving line as an option because they want everyone to be on an even playing field. As the game is constantly presenting you with challenges, that aspect of competing against other racers even if you're driving solo is always there. I believe its omission was a balancing decision.

Agreed.

djjinx2

This game has a steep learning curve I admit, but persistence and practise are far more rewarding to me than following a line, especially in a game which is all about leaderboards and challenges.

Try doing a challenge that is India in a car that is available in the PS+ edition. That challenge is a Canadan location in car that is DLC.
Also you need to win 5 challenges, and you'll be going some to top an Evo challenge!

Make your own, set to 30 minutes, send to a friend, get them to set a crappy time, repeat x5 and trophy is yours.

Kysen

I never understood the point of the drift challenges mid race. Why would I want to slide round a corner losing speed in the middle of a lap?

Top Bottom