• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub PlayStation Plus Edition (Out Now)

These are the cars offered in the free version:

• Hot Hatch
    • Volkswagen Golf GTI [club]
    • Mini John Cooper Works GP
    • Audi A1 quattro
  • Sports
    • Bentley Continental GT V8 [club]
    • Mercedes A 45 AMG
    • Lotus Evora S
  • Performance
    • BMW M3 GTS [club]
    • Maserati GranTurismo MC Stradale
    • Alfa Romeo 4C
  • Super
    • Bac Mono [club]
    • Audi R8 V10
    • Marussia B2
  • Hyper
    • Pagani Zonda R [club]
    • RUF CTR3
    • Koenigsegg Agera R

Error1355

Maybe I should put the disc back in and give this a whirl with more people playing it.

It looked visually mindblowing, but the gameplay didn't grab me.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
What cars are available in the free version? And can i unlock additional cars?

You unlock cars under the same progression and rules as if you own the full game. The game makes it very clear which of those are available to use and which require the full game. You don't really have a huge selection in the PS+ demo, but enough to get a feel if the full game is worth the upgrade.

Think of this edition as a F2P option with a majority of content locked behind the $25 paywall for the full game(and a bunch of expanded DLC beyond with Season Pass or a la carte). It's the identical experience otherwise.

Is the demo version the same thing as the Plus version? I can't get the link in the op to work for whatever reason so I'm just downloading the demo from the store.
Some people are saying it shows up as a demo, some that it shows up as a trial version. Either one works and neither one is timed.

The weather is a bit much. Seems like every race so far is in the middle of monsoon season.

How about a race on a clear day? Like... how 80% of all races are everywhere?

Just saying , the entire DRIVECLUB campaign is nothing but clear skies , day or night.
No rain , i promise.

I hope they do more with clubs. Private lobbies will help. As will the improvements coming to club challenges. Otherwise, the club aspect still seems underdeveloped. Hopefully the companion app will help us connect with our club members better and make it easier to follow and challenge other clubs. We need a way to develop rival clubs (maybe after a certain amount of challenges back and forth) where we get extra points for beating them in challenges and races. :)

On a related note, everyone getting the PS+ edition should jump in a club ASAP. Remember that you need to have at least two people in a club for it to be considered active. You want to start collecting club points so you can get the club-only cars. Some of which are the best in their class, including the fun to drive BAC Mono and Pagani Zonda R. Two cars you can just throw around the track and not worry too much about spinning out (unlike many of their peers).

Cess007

racinglines.jpg

It took me a while to learn it , but yeah, this is the way to take the green and even most yellow curves

Greyvvolf

Some people are saying it shows up as a demo, some that it shows up as a trial version. Either one works and neither one is timed.
Thanks for the update. I only saw the trial version show up on the store but the transaction receipt email I received from Sony said it was the PS+ Edition.

skelekey

I feel sorry for you guys on this free version. The cars they granted you outside of the mono and zonda from perfomance to hyper are pretty much shit tier to me. There are cars in the base game and DLC that hold the road much better. The One:1 is better than the Agera R. The Sesto Elemento and LaFerrari are must drives. So much missing; Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, Viper, Corvette, SLS Amg, etc.

Oneself

Finally! I've been playing the game since launch and I enjoyed every bit of it. The season pass is amazing and the game itself probably is the best racer I've played in the last 5 years or something.

I sincerly hope the PSN version will boost sales and help Evolution to survive and start a new project. :|

Just played some of the Plus version, and it seems like a really good deal, honestly. I personally am not a big fan of racers, and this one does nothing but piss me off so far, but that's entirely my fault.

SeanR1221

Just downloaded it from the mobile store so it will be ready when I get home. I'm surprised it's not easier to find.

Excited to try it but I don't have high expectations after it was called "hot garbage" on the latest bombcast.

M.W.

Just downloaded it from the mobile store so it will be ready when I get home. I'm surprised it's not easier to find.

Excited to try it but I don't have high expectations after it was called "hot garbage" on the latest bombcast.

It's anything but that. Jeff just sucks at it.

Nyx

The things about the clubs is, after all the hours I've put into the game, all they really do is combine the efforts of everyone in that club to the total club score. Which in turn opens up liveries and that sort of thing. I never actually have that much interaction with my club members aside from maybe the occasional challenge. Which can be fun, don't get me wrong, but it kind of renders the size of the clubs a bit irrelevant.

I think the original idea was that with clubs of 6, two clubs could go head to head as there's 12 cars max in a race.

When the private lobbies are done we can finally arrange those kind of races.

Also don't forget that the game integrates wonderfully with Spotify, so if you're a sort that likes music while racing, you're not limited to in-game tracks.

The Jadedcast didn't like a great game Shock.

Also don't forget that the game integrates wonderfully with Spotify, so if you're a sort that likes music while racing, you're not limited to in-game tracks.
You can also put mp3s in a music folder on a USB stick and play music that way. Just saying that's an option as well if you don't have a Spotify sub.

This game gets really undeserved criticism. This game is far from hot garbage. I usually don't like racing games, but this game is addicting and the racing mechanisms are really sound.

You can criticize Evo and Sony for messing up the network code and not launching PS+ edition sooner but don't ding the game for that. The game itself is really good.

Wish Evo had released this game in the current state. The review scores would have been much higher.

And he's absolutely incorrect too. I think we can say with confidence that it's not hot garbage.

I think it's unfortunately a leftover from the launch when the game could actually be described as hot garbage due to server issues and missing promised features. However, a lot of the people who say that about the game now probably either only played at launch (and not much since) or are never played it at all. Now, is it the best racer out there? No, it's not (I absolutely love it, though). And I'm not going to try to change someone's mind if it's not their cup of tea. But to call it hot garbage feels ridiculous after the post-launch content and updates. Putting it simply, if Driveclub released in the shape it is now, the reviews would be much more forgiving and positive.

airjoca

I think it's unfortunately a leftover from the launch when the game could actually be described as hot garbage due to server issues and missing promised features. However, a lot of the people who say that about the game now probably either only played at launch (and not much since) or are never played it at all. Now, is it the best racer out there? No, it's not (I absolutely love it, though). And I'm not going to try to change someone's mind if it's not their cup of tea. But to call it hot garbage feels ridiculous after the post-launch content and updates. Putting it simply, if Driveclub released in the shape it is now, the reviews would be much more forgiving and positive.

It was NEVER hot garbage. It was always beautiful and played absolutely great.

bombshell

Trophies linked to challenges... challenges not available in PS+ version.... soooo?

DRIVECLUB PlayStation®Plus Edition includes:
• Every DRIVECLUB™ feature: from online multiplayer matches and challenges, to offline solo racing, Tour events, customisation, replays, Photo Mode and more.

SeanR1221

The Jadedcast didn't like a great game Shock.

My views actually line up with what they say pretty often. It's refreshing to not have a podcast just gush all the time.

But I'll take the word of everyone here. Hey, the only thing I have to lose is my time. Glad the demo finally hit.

NewDust

Trophies linked to challenges... challenges not available in PS+ version.... soooo?

Challenges are in the plus version... Are you playing with your internet connection enabled?
Also not all plus version will be able to immediatly join the servers. Evolution is adding users overtime.

RedAssedApe

Banned
How is your driving line? Are you following race line rules? If you keep to the opposite side of the road, to the direction the turn is, and hug the apex as you turn in, you should have far more leeway with turning angles, and get much faster exit speeds.

Following these sorts of lines, even in Super and Hyper cars you can take most Green flag turns without any braking.

racing-line-late-apex.png

racinglines.jpg

i don't really play racers so i have no idea what a driving line is haha. but thanks for the visuals that helps a bit

Guys, try downloading in sleep mode. That sometimes radically increases download speeds.

Yup, this applies to downloading anything on PSN. I dunno why it helps. I guess the system is constantly using bandwidth for other things while on? I don't know, but it it really does seem to help.

nib95

Banned
Anyone who calls Driveclub hot garbage is out of their goddamned mind. You don't have to like it, but hot garbage?! Come on now.

The interesting thing is, it managed to sneak in to lots of game of the year lists in 2014, including GAF's number 20 and Eurogamer's readers number 15, topped only by Mario Kart as far as racers go. This is one game where critical reception wildly differed from gamer reception. Hell it got by far the 'most underrated game' votes on GAF by a landslide as well.

Top Bottom