• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub PlayStation Plus Edition (Out Now)

Do you drive manual irl? I find that since I do it just comes second nature in just about every racing game ever. I cant even explain why. It just becomes ingrained.
Not having a clutch makes it completely different from real life. I used to use a driving force Gt with GT5 and it never felt quite right, because I was unable to simply stick the clutch in and change to the correct gear whilst braking. Using buttons like a paddle shifter just doesn't give anything near the same feeling.

red731

This game can't be played with an controller...but i ain't buying a steering wheel.

I would like to give you protip that will make every game you can drive in played on gamepad much better.

When you are driving your car, you have both hands on the wheel, right? You don't just nudge it to the left or right when you need to. So except pushing hands forward to hold the wheel....push forward on the stick.

Push on the stick forward so it's touching the rim. Like irl, have it under your controll.

Have it in that position when you are driving and just turn left and right while touching the rim.

I have no problems in driving games. Decrease the sensitivity if needed too, so you can "turn" slowly over bigger angle of the stick twist.

Everygame can be played with a controller. The only "can't" is in your mindset.

A ton of us have platinum-ed the game using a controller, so i don't know how anyone could say a wheel is required. It may be a preference, but its not a necessity.

I played this for a bit tonight. It's pretty fun but the car handling feels different from a sim like Gran Turismo. It's not bad, though. The game looks amazing and the weather effects are great. I'm playing with the bumper cam, anyone else using it?

There's a lot of free DLC content, but most of it is only for the full game. The descriptions for some of the cars don't mention needing the full version, so can I use them with the PS+ version? I purchased them but nothing seemed to have changed. Is it because I'm not connected to the servers yet?

Tommi84

So I'm the only one on GAF that has this weird bug where I can't go in multiplayer.
No, you are the only one on GAF that doesn't read updates and doesn't know that the multiplayer portion of the PS+ edition will be launched in later stage not to hammer the servers down.
It's even mentioned in the OP

So I'm the only one on GAF that has this weird bug where I can't go in multiplayer, create club, browse club or challenges due to it saying it's coming soon? I've got update 1.18 installed and finished downloading the 28 or so gbs.

Are you using the PS+ Version, I believe that the online component is not active for everyone yet as per the OP

Also starting Thursday, we will be rolling out online access to the Driveclub PS Plus Edition and will steadily bring more and more players online while continuously ensuring that all game systems are running smoothly. We know that this might be frustrating after your extra wait already, but hope you can understand that we are taking extra precautions to protect your experience when you do get online. We want to make sure we don’t overload the servers as we invite millions of PS Plus members to download the game tomorrow.

Damn, some of those races are hard!
I'm loving the game though. I also am one of the lucky ones who can play it online =]

Any GAF PS+ Club with a spot for a hardworking noob?

Makikou

This game can't be played with an controller...but i ain't buying a steering wheel.

As someone who has set top 1 times on LB's and having won an Evolution Studios Challenge, with a stock Dualshock 4. I think it's quite damn playable with a controller, even more than with a steering wheel.

Nafai1123

Banned
Glad to see the game's getting some new players! Some of the best times from DC can be had by putting on spotify, selecting a course for time trial and just zening out trying to beat the leaderboards. Racing bliss.

Repeating myself here, but a lot of new people have been dropping by so...

Right on the dpad toggles the HUD on and off. Sounds almost insignificant, but I use that feature all the time.

Malcolm9

Glad to see the game's getting some new players! Some of the best times from DC can be had by putting on spotify, selecting a course for time trial and just zening out trying to beat the leaderboards. Racing bliss.

I prefer doing this to racing most of the time, just chill with some decent music and and zone out.

Do you drive manual irl? I find that since I do it just comes second nature in just about every racing game ever. I cant even explain why. It just becomes ingrained.
I used to, but haven't drive manual in years, lol.
I can play manual in slower car and nice weather in Drive Club, but my time is always slower than automatic.

You can map throttle/brake on the right stick

It is the best way IMO

I did that because that's how I play Gran Turismo, but honestly I had better time just using triggers. I'm pretty sure throttle/brakes power don't go up and down linearly like in GT, but rather jumps in stages. Which is why going back to L2/R2 made it simpler for me, instead of doing gradual movement I can just do rapid tap-tap on triggers to simulate it. Holding R2 full or even halfway will spin your car during corner exit, but if you tap it rapidly you can control it with counter steer and still get the speed.

pixelbox

Spent a couple of hours with the game and I think it feels pretty good. The handling model wasn't hard to grasp after a bit of practice.

I do have to major criticisms of the basic game design, though. (I'm talking about the career mode or whatever it is.)

First, there's almost no difficulty curve. Throw me a bone and let me actually place in the top 3 if I drive decently (rather than perfectly) in the first few events. You can excuse it as a game design choice ("work hard, practice, and when you finally win it will be so satisfying!") but I can call it a lack of effort in tuning the experience.

Second, the devs seem to be so far up their own asses about their weather system that they forgot to let me actually learn the tracks under dry, daylight conditions. Don't make me drive a track for the first time in the dark with blinding rain. (And are the AI drivers even affected by these conditions? Do they have a slower top speed or anything to simulate realistic driver behavior?) Gradually introduce the challenging conditions once I've had a chance to learn about the course. This seems like design 101.

I'm going to keep playing, but it's already a frustrating experience more often than it should be. Obviously I'll get better with practice, but I shouldn't have to grind the same events over and over to get past them this early in the career mode IMO.

edit: I can't just disable weather in the career mode events, can I? That would solve almost everything.

edit2: wait, is there a different tour event I could be doing besides Startline? How did I miss that?
lol im sorry that was funny.a

I would like to give you protip that will make every game you can drive in played on gamepad much better.

When you are driving your car, you have both hands on the wheel, right? You don't just nudge it to the left or right when you need to. So except pushing hands forward to hold the wheel....push forward on the stick.

Push on the stick forward so it's touching the rim. Like irl, have it under your controll.

Have it in that position when you are driving and just turn left and right while touching the rim.

I have no problems in driving games. Decrease the sensitivity if needed too, so you can "turn" slowly over bigger angle of the stick twist.

That actually sounds... amazing. BRB, gotta go downstairs and try this out =D

This is a thing?! Really? I am only 2 trophies away from the platinum and had no idea!

Yes, and it works really well. My little niece, who has barely any experience with a dual shock controller, has been able to finish races pretty cleanly after doing nothing but crashing when using the left stick.

So if I get the dlc with the new Japan tracks , will those be available to me?

Yes, but only as tour events with preset racing conditions, i don't think you'll be able to play them in single races and multiplayer, since all extra tracks came as free updates to the full game, not as part of purchasable DLC. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Nyx

Yes, but only as tour events with preset racing conditions, i don't think you'll be able to play them in single races and multiplayer. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

You are right, only the tour events from the DLC will be available, not the separate tracks for single events.

Seanspeed

Banned
Just think of it as the Dark Souls of racing games :)
Eh, maybe if you're a total newcomer to racing games. I haven't lost a single race and only once so far did I not get all three stars. I'm not super far in, but I'm guessing the real competition is from other players, not the AI.

Kysen

Not having a clutch makes it completely different from real life. I used to use a driving force Gt with GT5 and it never felt quite right, because I was unable to simply stick the clutch in and change to the correct gear whilst braking. Using buttons like a paddle shifter just doesn't give anything near the same feeling.

I used to think like this until I learned to drive in RL. The clutch in every racing game I've played is a joke, you cant feel shit. Even worse when paired with a stick that lets you go into gear when the clutch is up. Or they try and handle it like GT and just force you into neutral even though you have a gear selected. Until pedals and sticks have realistic feed back it doesn't matter how accurately the sim models the clutch.

Because of this fundamental disconnect, I don't bother with the clutch in sims.

Eh, maybe if you're a total newcomer to racing games. I haven't lost a single race and only once so far did I not get all three stars. I'm not super far in, but I'm guessing the real competition is from other players, not the AI.

Wait till you end up on the Super and Hyper cars, things get a bit tricky, something like the Venom Hot Lap had people tearing their hair out.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I've done this on GT and its ok. But I wish there was a proper 'rotate analog stick for steering' option which more directly mapped that movement to the virtual steering wheel. It is good because you get better fine adjustments from centered, but could be much better.

I assume you're related to Billy Whiz. Ah wait, when you say you're not super far in what do you mean? It starts off easily enough but you're not likely to come first every time in the higher level races.

desu

Kind of agree, the main tour starts out very easily and is pretty easy until the middle/two thirds. Races in general are mostly easy except a few, some time trials and drift events can be annoying.

RiverBed

Banned
Is the only way to play online is to join a club? I don't have friends and I always play with randoms in online modes.
Can I just create a club with me in it and play randoms? Or does the game lock MP behind tournaments and listings and such? I just want to opt in, opt out for some quick MP races. I don't care what type. Is that possible?

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I actually like the handling a lot. But lord did GAFfers overrate the shit out of the visuals. Was hoping what I saw at the demo station was reflective of an early build but nope. Don't get me wrong, its not ugly by any stretch, but its not even the best looking driving game so far this gen let alone one of the better looking games period.

Nyx

I actually like the handling a lot. But lord did GAFfers overrate the shit out of the visuals. Was hoping what I saw at the demo station was reflective of an early build but nope. Don't get me wrong, its not ugly by any stretch, but its not even the best looking driving game so far this gen let alone one of the better looking games period.

I think it is, by far even.

Now what?

kyser73

I don't disagree at all, but it does appear that lots of the people struggling aren't big racers and DC does have they 'Dammit I will beat you' feel I get from DS :)

KORNdoggy

it get s alot harder after pro-level.

desu

Um nothing I guess? Hopefully you can eventually expand your horizons and eventually play better looking games.

Your example of better looking games? I would say all other racers out there have no chance because they are trying to do other things (like open world vs closed racer or 60fps vs 30fps or 20+ cars vs 12 cars). Visually I haven't seen any other racer coming close to the look of Driveclub this gen due to excellent environment design, lighting and weather effects.

I think he was slipping inuendos.... ;)

I know, thats why I mentioned open world ;).

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Your example of better looking games? I would say all other racers out there have no chance because they are trying to do other things (like open world vs closed racer or 60fps vs 30fps or 20+ cars vs 12 cars). Visually I haven't seen any other racer coming close to the look of Driveclub this gen.

I think he was slipping inuendos.... ;)

Um nothing I guess? Hopefully you can eventually expand your horizons and eventually play better looking games.

Top Bottom