• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub PlayStation Plus Edition (Out Now)

ZalXII

Do not mix up corner challenge lines with a "perfect" driving line. They are not perfect in most cases if you want the best speed out of a corner. Though, they're good for (overly) save driving.

Bulk_Rate

New to to the game, impressed with the driving model so far. Strikes a great balance between arcade and sim - much better than old Forza 3 for instance. Lots of subtle degrees of responsiveness to steering and throttle, making it fun to run consistent laps while pushing one's limits.

I played GPL GTR2, PnG3, and RF1 etc. a ton so yes I realize DC is not a full sim, but it very effectively plants its flag in a fun middle ground.

Nyx

I did see those which confused me maybe it was set to only show at certain times by default. Now I know there is no option I will just have to get used to it.

If you stick with it and keep on practicing everything should turn out fine, even without those lines. :)

Also keep an eye on the flags before a corner, you probably already know but the green ones are easy, yellow intermediate and red hard turns.

cheezcake

Played a few races. The game is definitely gorgeous, them rain effects in cockpit mode, but I'm just not finding it that fun. Doesn't feel like the game has that special thing which seperates it from other racers.

Seventy70

The handling in this game sucks. It's in between arcade and sim which is exactly the problem. Those two things are kept separate for a reason.
Whenever you want to drift like an arcade racer it won't let you because it's not arcade enough, but it's also not sim enough. You get the worst of both worlds.

Played a few races. The game is definitely gorgeous, them rain effects in cockpit mode, but I'm just not finding it that fun. Doesn't feel like the game has that special thing which seperates it from other racers.

This game has realistic visuals and weather effects that gives great immersion and pure racing between arcade/sim using excellent track design around the world to provide diversity which is not available from other racers.

eFKac

The handling in this game sucks. It's in between arcade and sim which is exactly the problem. Those two things are kept separate for a reason.
Whenever you want to drift like an arcade racer it won't let you because it's not arcade enough, but it's also not sim enough. You get the worst of both worlds.

Or the best of both worlds as it doesn't have a step entry learning curve and it's not as punishing as a sim racer while it's not as mindless as a arcade racer where skill doesn't really matter.

All is dependant on taste, but the handling definitely doesn't suck.

cheezcake

This game has realistic visuals and weather effects that gives great immersion and pure racing between arcade/sim using excellent track design around the world to provide diversity which is not available from other racers.

Hmm well I'll stick with it for a bit, maybe once I get more used to the handling it'll click for me

Kinsella

Banned

Same here. I also can't stand the constant camera shake. Graphically it's nice, but also at the same time boring. None of the tracks have anything truly spectacular about them. But what ultimately turned me off was the lackluster single player game. I now see why it scored the way it did. Props to Sony and the devs for finally getting this out though.

Nyx

Same here. I also can't stand the constant camera shake. Graphically it's nice, but also at the same time boring. None of the tracks have anything truly spectacular about them. But what ultimately turned me off was the lackluster single player game. I now see why it scored the way it did. Props to Sony and the devs for finally getting this out though.

There's plenty of other racers which will suit your needs then.

Hanmik

some people need to drink their juice..!

AmazingEnchantingArrowana.gif

pixelbox

What were you expecting on the tracks to make them spectacular?

If you stick with it and keep on practicing everything should turn out fine, even without those lines. :)

Also keep an eye on the flags before a corner, you probably already know but the green ones are easy, yellow intermediate and red hard turns.

O yes I found that out very quickly.

krioto

So it lacks soul? What do tracks need to be 'spectacular'?

Epcott

Spent a couple of hours with the game and I think it feels pretty good. The handling model wasn't hard to grasp after a bit of practice.

I do have to major criticisms of the basic game design, though. (I'm talking about the career mode or whatever it is.)

First, there's almost no difficulty curve. Throw me a bone and let me actually place in the top 3 if I drive decently (rather than perfectly) in the first few events. You can excuse it as a game design choice ("work hard, practice, and when you finally win it will be so satisfying!") but I can call it a lack of effort in tuning the experience.

Second, the devs seem to be so far up their own asses about their weather system that they forgot to let me actually learn the tracks under dry, daylight conditions. Don't make me drive a track for the first time in the dark with blinding rain. (And are the AI drivers even affected by these conditions? Do they have a slower top speed or anything to simulate realistic driver behavior?) Gradually introduce the challenging conditions once I've had a chance to learn about the course. This seems like design 101.

I'm going to keep playing, but it's already a frustrating experience more often than it should be. Obviously I'll get better with practice, but I shouldn't have to grind the same events over and over to get past them this early in the career mode IMO.

edit: I can't just disable weather in the career mode events, can I? That would solve almost everything.

edit2: wait, is there a different tour event I could be doing besides Startline? How did I miss that?

These are the very same gripes my brother had while playing (who is very much a GT fan). When he first booted up the game, nearly every track had rain. He quipped it was as if the devs were trying to show off the rain effects rather than make the initial tracks drivable.

Also, the AI slammed him all over the place and penalized him for them hitting him. He seemed pretty pissed that he couldn't at least place top 3, but just chalked it up to his rusty ability. I fell asleep watching him play, marveling at the visuals, while sensibly chuckling at his swears.

Over 8 hours after starting the download with my 100Mbit connection that Steam manages to mostly max out (and Xbox One at least does a decent job with), I have downloaded a total of 8.445GB of Driveclub. Wireless, wired, doesn't matter. Never does. Restarting doesn't help, this is all PSN gives me. In the same time frame, I would have downloaded 250GB+ from Steam even during big game launches like GTA 5.

I didn't think it was possible but PSN is worse than ever before. Oh well, only 28 hours to go. This isn't the digital future, this is what Internet was 15 years ago for me.

I have a 60 mbit connect and I download way faster than your connect. Probably the server is overloaded with people trying to download at the same time. This is a much anticipated release. Why does everyone blame PSN all the time? It's the internet. It's not like you have a direct connection to PSN. there are a lot of factors that can cause this.

At 2.3GB it was saying 90 minutes until downloaded. Turned PS4 off and on again and it now says 3 minutes. I suppose that is one trick to getting a better download speed.

I can't believe you still can't pause or stop a download.

Except you could. Go to the downloads section and you can press X on it to pause and X again to resume. Doing so often speeds up downloads. it's like it gets throttled sometimes.

AEREC

So if I get the Season pass does that me every single piece of content for driveclub? Or are there other little things like paint jobs that are separate?

le-seb

So if I get the Season pass does that me every single piece of content for driveclub? Or are there other little things like paint jobs that are separate?
The only content that's not part of the season pass at this time is the LaFerrari car (which you can earn in game by maximizing the Ferrari accolade).

pixelbox

This game makes people feel uncomfortable. It breaks a lot of conventions and people are confused. Fast, responsive and ferocious at 30 FPS. The mix of sim and arcade. Awesome tracks that are not based in the real world. Best graphics of lil ole PS4. Evo is amazing.

Just downloaded it from the mobile store so it will be ready when I get home. I'm surprised it's not easier to find.

Excited to try it but I don't have high expectations after it was called "hot garbage" on the latest bombcast.

You will not trust another bombcast every again after playing.

StewboaT_

Definitely glad I held out for this version, as the game doesn't really click with me. While it sure is pretty, I'm not really having any fun with it. It's not terrible by any means, just a little boring. One or two races and I'm ready to turn it off.

Mabufu

Banned
Definitely glad I held out for this version, as the game doesn't really click with me. While it sure is pretty, I'm not really having any fun with it. It's not terrible by any means, just a little boring. One or two races and I'm ready to turn it off.

You have not seen anything about the game. No one can have fun with anything just by having an slight glimpse at it : /

To be fair I think their initial messaging is that it was "the full game, minus some stuff"

Obviously there's a lot of room for interpretation there, but that does imply more than 1 out of 5 locations and 15 out of 50 cars.

Nevertheless, they clarified it quite quickly and since early 2014 they have been saying this is exactly what you would get.

If people care that little about the game that they haven't looked into it since the reveal well then..I don't know what to say

The fact that the plus edition also includes all the major updates like weather,replays, photo mode, the free DLC, and a new tour also helps make up for that

I always read it like it was going to have all the features of the full game but limited in content, meaning tracks, events and cars.

Something that makes the game world feel alive.

I think DC has the most alive environments of any racer I have ever played. Beyond the weather and lighting which make the tracks feel unique almost every time you play them you then have a massive variety of different effects going on such as rubbish, leaves, flowers, wildlife, and dust all going on at once. You regularly experience things like going from an overcast sky into a patch of sunlight where there is a break in the clouds as a plastic bag flies past the car and birds fly from a tree as dust on the roadside is kicked up by the wind all whilst going immensely fast and you can make it all out. There is very little more I would actually add, maybe some idiot photographers as well as animals on the track that move when you get near like in Richard Burns Rally and perhaps more splash effects when it comes to deeper roadside puddles and maybe some dirt spray if you hit dirt sections in the wet, I'd probably also apply that to covering the car behind as well. I can think of a few games that do bits and pieces of these but never all of them, and not yet to the extent they have been done in DC.

ZalXII

When he first booted up the game, nearly every track had rain. He quipped it was as if the devs were trying to show off the rain effects rather than make the initial tracks drivable.
It's amazing how this perception changed over time. Before they implemented weather and after that, the first event of startline as the forced event, everyone and their mother said the boot race is to boring because of no weather and leaves a wrong impression for new players. Especially in correlation with the weather-less main tour.

And now it's too hard and too much. I mean, they literally changed that event to one with weather because of players demand and most of us also liked the startline tour as the new beginning. Can't satisfy everyone i guess.

Keep playing. The beauty of DC lies in the dynamic weather/time and lighting that drastically change the trackside detail. That's why to me, it feels the opposite of 'boring'. When the time of day and weather conditions are just right, you can really see some gorgeous and unexpected vistas.. and it feels special because its not all baked in and predetermined.

Just, play more. You'll see what I mean. And definitely try some of the Scotland or India courses, I'm not talking about track events here.

I actually like the handling a lot. But lord did GAFfers overrate the shit out of the visuals. Was hoping what I saw at the demo station was reflective of an early build but nope. Don't get me wrong, its not ugly by any stretch, but its not even the best looking driving game so far this gen let alone one of the better looking games period.

What? Like I said before, keep playing. The game doesn't shove its beauty in your face at every turn. Although its there, of course, the lighting conditions can make any track look drab and boring.. until the clouds clear and the sunlight shines through~

I actually like the handling a lot. But lord did GAFfers overrate the shit out of the visuals. Was hoping what I saw at the demo station was reflective of an early build but nope. Don't get me wrong, its not ugly by any stretch, but its not even the best looking driving game so far this gen let alone one of the better looking games period.

I'd like to see your examples of better looking driving games this gen.

Sp33Demon

If there is anyone having issues with using a controller, it is likely you are being too aggressive with stick movements. I would love if there was a stick sensitivity setting. If you don't care to learn a lighter touch, you can get stick extenders which will ever so slightly decrease sensitivity allowing for better control. Extenders work good for shooters too.

I use the middle height Kontrol Freeks on my PS4 controller but below is a pic of them on an XBox controller (also has grippier texture than the greasy soft rubber on the PS4 sticks).

ultrax_xbox1_profile_820x1050.jpg

Top Bottom