• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub PlayStation Plus Edition (Out Now)

Got the ps+ version. Game is fun. I don't play in first person in this game. Weird cuz I play racing sims in first person with wheel and oculus/or without oculus (playin this with controller). Weird mixmash of sim+arcade way more arcade than sim though. Graphics are great. Kinda zen game. 30 fps doesn't seem like hinderance

Got the ps+ version. Game is fun. I don't play in first person in this game. Weird cuz I play racing sims in first person with wheel and oculus/or without oculus (playin this with controller). Weird mixmash of sim+arcade way more arcade than sim though. Graphics are great. Kinda zen game. 30 fps doesn't seem like hinderance

If you could do it in Morpheus, would you like first person then? Man, I hope if a Driveclub 2 is ever made it is Morpheus compatible.

Kodros

I want to play in first person so badly but I just can't get into it. I feel so confined. The camera is pushed way to far back. There needs to be a helmet cam between the cockpit and dash view. Please, for the love of god, implement that Rushy. I'll love you long time.

down 2 orth

Oh man I had a great time with this game. Might jump back in since there should be enough noobs to offset a total ass kicking from the pros.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Spent a couple of hours with the game and I think it feels pretty good. The handling model wasn't hard to grasp after a bit of practice.

I do have to major criticisms of the basic game design, though. (I'm talking about the career mode or whatever it is.)

First, there's almost no difficulty curve. Throw me a bone and let me actually place in the top 3 if I drive decently (rather than perfectly) in the first few events. You can excuse it as a game design choice ("work hard, practice, and when you finally win it will be so satisfying!") but I can call it a lack of effort in tuning the experience.

Second, the devs seem to be so far up their own asses about their weather system that they forgot to let me actually learn the tracks under dry, daylight conditions. Don't make me drive a track for the first time in the dark with blinding rain. (And are the AI drivers even affected by these conditions? Do they have a slower top speed or anything to simulate realistic driver behavior?) Gradually introduce the challenging conditions once I've had a chance to learn about the course. This seems like design 101.

I'm going to keep playing, but it's already a frustrating experience more often than it should be. Obviously I'll get better with practice, but I shouldn't have to grind the same events over and over to get past them this early in the career mode IMO.

edit: I can't just disable weather in the career mode events, can I? That would solve almost everything.

edit2: wait, is there a different tour event I could be doing besides Startline? How did I miss that?

Ogawa-san

Game's gorgeous but I don't think it's for me. I'm finding it more frustrating than fun so far.
It was the same for me, but if you keep at it you eventually get the hang of a track and/or car. It's awesome when I finally stop being completely terrible and 3-star an event I've spent an hour on.

Except drift challenges, screw them.

kyser73

so india tour should be played before startline (in terms of difficulty)? or are they about the same? i thought i was supposed to do startline first because of the name and because they seem to throw you into that first the first time you start the game?

Ahh yeah.

The original DC tour is a good intro to the driving style and tracks, starting with the hatches, and moving up to performance class IIRC.

Startline gives you a smorgasbord of events from all the different tour packs, which include some pretty challenging events in all car classes (the Small in Japan TT through to something hideous involving nightime, snow and hypercars), so yeah, go with the original tour as it's always sunny and dry.

You still have the Venom Hot Lap, so it's not all easy breezes.

Spent a couple of hours with the game and I think it feels pretty good. The handling model wasn't hard to grasp after a bit of practice.

I do have to major criticisms of the basic game design, though. (I'm talking about the career mode or whatever it is.)

First, there's almost no difficulty curve. Throw me a bone and let me actually place in the top 3 if I drive decently (rather than perfectly) in the first few events. You can excuse it as a game design choice ("work hard, practice, and when you finally win it will be so satisfying!") but I can call it a lack of effort in tuning the experience.

Second, the devs seem to be so far up their own asses about their weather system that they forgot to let me actually learn the tracks under dry, daylight conditions. Don't make me drive a track for the first time in the dark with blinding rain. (And are the AI drivers even affected by these conditions? Do they have a slower top speed or anything to simulate realistic driver behavior?) Gradually introduce the challenging conditions once I've had a chance to learn about the course. This seems like design 101.

I'm going to keep playing, but it's already a frustrating experience more often than it should be. Obviously I'll get better with practice, but I shouldn't have to grind the same events over and over to get past them this early in the career mode IMO.

edit: I can't just disable weather in the career mode events, can I? That would solve almost everything.

edit2: wait, is there a different tour event I could be doing besides Startline? How did I miss that?

Just set up a time trial on that track and set the weather to clear.

OmegaDL50

Yeah the Startline tour isn't the default campaign. The original tour doesn't have heavy weather, so you basically jumped into a higher difficulty tour before the initial one. So saying the devs are up their asses really off base.

down 2 orth

It was the same for me, but if you keep at it you eventually get the hang of a track and/or car. It's awesome when I finally stop being completely terrible and 3-star an event I've spent an hour on.

Except drift challenges, screw them.

Drifting takes the longest to learn, but it's super fun when you get the hang of it.

z3phon

Just got home from work and played for 1 hour and love the feel of the game. Thinking about buying the game. Hows the online multiplayer?

There is a huge baseline tour in the main game that was available at launch, way before weather hit, so it has none of that stuff and starts you off just like you're asking for, ratcheting up the difficulty as you clear each tier of events.

But since new locations and all the weather effects were added after launch Evo crafted a new tour to give a taste of everything for new players: Startline.

Is Startline the only tour available in the PS+ edition?

There is a huge baseline tour in the main game that was available at launch, way before weather hit, so it has none of that stuff and starts you off just like you're asking for, ratcheting up the difficulty as you clear each tier of events.

But since new locations and all the weather effects were added after launch Evo crafted a new tour to give a taste of everything for new players: Startline.

It's in the full game too. The difficulty of the AI seems to be toned down a little compared to the equivalent events from the main game too.

kyser73

Yeah, pretty harsh of Evo if they've made Startline the only tour available.

Funny thing - I was able to ace 'Small in Japan' in Startline, but can I do it in the actual Japan tour? Can I fuck.

This was my exact thought when playing. Maybe it was just bad luck, but the first five events I tried all took place in blinding storms. Sure it looked pretty, but it felt really fucking stupid to be racing in conditions that would shut down most real races.

Being thrown into some mandatory race upon first boot irritated the hell out of me too. I just wanted to look at the options, check out the controls, etc, instead I got to flail around and restart a couple times as I was getting the feel of things and trying to find a camera mode I liked. Not a great first impression at all.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Good to hear, Startline is kind of a bullshit tour for us newcomers. Some of the events are interesting, but the star requirements(and conditions) are a bit insane to get a grasp on the handling and mechanics. Feels good finally nailing 3 stars in an event I just repeated for the last hour straight, but it also makes me yearn for a proper learning curve over demanding perfection.

Feels good finally nailing 3 stars in an event I just repeated for the last hour straight, but it also makes me yearn for a proper learning curve over demanding perfection.
I remember having that exact same feeling when I first started off with DriveClub. I think I got the handling down pretty quick but nailing three stars for any event was still tough and took me some real quality time to acquire.

But starting new players off in storms does seem like tossing you in at the deep end, even with the AI difficulty being pegged lower. Its still a crowded field on pretty thin strips of road.

I'm probably weird when it comes to racing games but I go off and do time trials for hours on end as soon as I'm able. To get used to the cars, to learn the tracks, to experiment with handling and the options for events, and just to take everything in. Nothing like running HUDless time trials that take you through an entire day/night cycle. That probably helped me out when I finally got the urge to start collecting stars to move up the ranks.

kyser73

Good to hear, Startline is kind of a bullshit tour for us newcomers. Some of the events are interesting, but the star requirements(and conditions) are a bit insane to get a grasp on the handling and mechanics. Feels good finally nailing 3 stars in an event I just repeated for the last hour straight, but it also makes me yearn for a proper learning curve over demanding perfection.

Just think of it as the Dark Souls of racing games :)

For those who aren't enjoying the weather - go to the DLC section in the store and you should be able to download 2 free tours. Those ones do not have any weather in them

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
For those who aren't enjoying the weather - go to the DLC section in the store and you should be able to download 2 free tours. Those ones do not have any weather in them

Downloaded all free content. Sadly they are still locked out unless I purchase the full game. Might end up doing it anyway as I am digging the game, but the PS+ Edition is literally just Startline Tour. (Only India for Single Events, and MP)

Holy shit that Dambusters event to cap off the Startline tour is no joke. My first run netted me exactly zero stars. Couldn't see any of my usual markers with all of that rain. Was gorgeous and dangerous though.

Gonna have to get used to that track in the wet.

Glad you guys are enjoying the game, I love it. I need to try out that GT-R man, I didn't even know they added it until I randomly read the update history after I noticed it patched. Was there a thread on that?

n0razi

i like to leave my car sitting in heavy rain in hood view (louder wipers)... the sounds is super relaxing for sleep

The free tours do not work for me. They say they require the full version of Driveclub. The paid DLC is what works, apparently.

Downloaded all free content. Sadly they are still locked out unless I purchase the full game. Might end up doing it anyway as I am digging the game, but the PS+ Edition is literally just Startline Tour. (Only India for Single Events, and MP)

Ah, sorry guys my bad. Thought the free DLC might work

It was posted earlier, but Rushy tweeted that they are considering making the free DLC accessible for the PS+ edition. I really hope they do. In the meantime, I suggest people do some time trials in single event mode to get used to the handling.

I have barely touched the game, but a few thoughts. Game is pretty looking amd looks clean. So far my favorite camera angle has been in first person. Specificall the one with just the rear view mirror in the middle. The over the shoulder one feels to distant and i struggled seeing some times. Camera neess to be a but closer.

My one complaint is i had no idea what i was doing with the menu. Just kinda fiddling around. Everything is still locked behind a paywall. I wish they cleaned everything except for ps plus stuff. That's just my own personal wants. Or just make the menu cleaner.

Other than that, so far so good. Game is fun and follows most of the old school racing rules. Dont swerve, dont hit the walls, avoid hitting other cars. Slow down before curves, and accelerate as you reach the top of the curve. Sneak in under the other cars on curves. It's obviously a lot easier to see during the day. They start you off at night, then rains, and you run into snow and slide all over the place. Good fun.

Stillmatic

Holy shit that Dambusters event to cap off the Startline tour is no joke. My first run netted me exactly zero stars. Couldn't see any of my usual markers with all of that rain. Was gorgeous and dangerous though.

Was doing this race for the first time last night. It was definitely no joke. I think it was the final lap I took first place, I was shaking the last lap, it was so tense. lol I think I ended up with a time of 11:18.---. Just putting that video together now along with my Venom hotlap, which I finally got around to beating a couple of nights ago.

EDIT:

Venom Hotlap:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6CLec6HHas

Dam Busters:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNn-JBKstfk

Shaneus

I drive a '94 Porsche 911 in real life and I actually find Driveclub with a controller MUCH closer to what it's like driving the Porsche compared to Project Cars with a controller. So there you go.........
You bastard. Also, there's no Porsche in DC so I assume you're drawing the comparison to driving the RUF?

I stopped reading reviews months ago for this. I hate Skyrim but love Hyperdimension Nep for example. Compare reviews of those two games...so I buy games on sale and make my own opinion. Screw reviews.
Reviews *can* be a good thing, if you know/trust the reviewer behind it. Eurogamer used to be my trusted site for driving game reviews because of Martin Robinson, but because he was on break some other dude covered DC and gave it the most pointless review of a racing game I'd ever read.

Zambayoshi

Drifting takes the longest to learn, but it's super fun when you get the hang of it.

Oh yes! There's an "Initial D" drift event in Japan that is the most awesome drift event ever (that I've played).

That said, drifting does take a while to get used to and varies with each car. I also drive on automatic so I don't get the absolute maximum out of it, but still great fun nonetheless :)

Nyx

Dam Busters for me is what DC is all about.

Sogood.gif

Fantomas

Damn, this game is fun! A lot of content in there too for being a free trial version. Definitely going to consider doing the upgrade after I get used to the physics and whatnot.

So I'm the only one on GAF that has this weird bug where I can't go in multiplayer, create club, browse club or challenges due to it saying it's coming soon? I've got update 1.18 installed and finished downloading the 28 or so gbs.

Mine is doing this too.

Fbh

I just spent a couple of hours playing,
I'm not a racing games fan nor do I care much about cars, but damn, I'm having a blast with this.
I love how it plays like a mix of arcade and sim, not as overly serious and realistic as Gran Turismo nor as over the top and crazy as Need for Speed. The tracks are also awesome, it has been quite some time since I played a game like this with actual tracks and not some open world.

The presentation is just amazing, it has moments when everything comes together (lighting, wheater, backgrounds, sense of speed, etc) and it's easily one of the best looking games I've ever played. Playing this with headphones has been one of the most inmersive gaming experiences I've had in quite some time.
I've come to enjoy this interior view:
Hd3qux1.jpg
You still get the cool water effects on the windshield without 70% of the screen being the car interior

But there is definitely a learning curve. I did fine in most of events of the tour but the last 2 are brutal, I haven't been able to do better than 6th (and one of them is rather annoying with the 8 laps).
Once I finish The Witcher 3 this will probably be my next purchase

This Game Informer article is a few months old, but this is one of the only examples of a review outlet revisiting Driveclub. It's not an alteration to the score (a 7.75), but opinions on the game were improved for the better. http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2015/03/12/revisiting-driveclub.aspx

Polygon did re-review it... twice actually. It was initially a 7.5, then a 5 following the launch, and then it was brought back up to 7.5. http://www.polygon.com/2014/10/7/6570539/driveclub-review-ps4-playstation-4

Top Bottom