• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub PlayStation Plus Edition (Out Now)

Vroadstar

I actually like the handling a lot. But lord did GAFfers overrate the shit out of the visuals. Was hoping what I saw at the demo station was reflective of an early build but nope. Don't get me wrong, its not ugly by any stretch, but its not even the best looking driving game so far this gen let alone one of the better looking games period.

One sec...look at the screenshots thread.... saw a bunch best looking DC screenshots compared to other racers so far..... confused about overrated visuals opinion.

Now the question is, what is the best looking driving game so far for you?

Stillmatic

I actually like the handling a lot. But lord did GAFfers overrate the shit out of the visuals. Was hoping what I saw at the demo station was reflective of an early build but nope. Don't get me wrong, its not ugly by any stretch, but its not even the best looking driving game so far this gen let alone one of the better looking games period.

I'd love for every racer to be up there with DC visually, but nothing is even close at the moment.

The new NFS in development is looking good though, need to see more.

Donos

DC is really good to start up, drive a few courses, get some stars between other stuff.
And the season pass is really worth it. I have around 90 of 225 stars from the main game and still so much DLC tour stuff to do. Just tried some here and there (Lambo packs are nice - driving in line with other 11 black Aventadors was awesome).

They really nailed the speed feeling and that with "only" 30 fps.

Going to start picking out favourite tracks and get the best time there from friendlist.

add me for leaderboard stuff: donos_de

Vaga

Um nothing I guess? Hopefully you can eventually expand your horizons and eventually play better looking games.

DC is best looking racer as of now on any platform. Unless you're really trolling as you seem to throw a horizon into the picture. If not you need glasses son.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
DC is best looking racer as of now on any platform. Unless you're really trolling as you seem to throw a horizon into the picture. If not you need glasses son.

I posted in the Horizon thread back when it launched after playing the demo commenting that I didn't find it that great looking either (actually got a similar reaction as I've received here funnily enough). Both are better Tha Forza 5 obviously, but in BOTH cases (Horizon and DC) the way posters were talking about them you'd think they were the most amazing looking games you've ever seen.

Neither impressed me much at all. Been kinda disappointed in all the racing games so far. These are the games that SHOULD look the best.

Traffcore

The download speed for this game is crazy. I started this download for like 20 hours ago and still need a fourth og the game and update file left. What is going on?!

I know the PSN servers are not the fastest but this is just stupid.

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
I posted in the Horizon thread back when it launched after playing the demo commenting that I didn't find it that great looking either (actually got a similar reaction as I've received here funnily enough). Both are better Tha Forza 5 obviously, but in BOTH cases (Horizon and DC) the way posters were talking about them you'd think they were the most amazing looking games you've ever seen.

Neither impressed me much at all. Been kinda disappointed in all the racing games so far. These are the games that SHOULD look the best.

Ok. In your opinion, across genres, which game(s) look the best.

Phinor

So the download finally finished and I played the game for the past hour or so. Overall, it's a great racing game. With gamepad it's quite playable and not as arcade as I thought so it feels like I'm driving a car which is always a plus for a real world based racing game. Visually it's obviously up there with the best console games. Personally I still prefer the clarity of PC racing games with higher resolution, as high anti-aliasing settings as you want and so on but this game can compete with the best of them.

However, I wish the game/PS4 supported existing racing wheels. That's a huge negative for a multiplatform gamer (ie. I've a PC with hundreds of racing games all of which support my wheel, both of them). The other negative is obviously the performance at 30fps. I'm probably not going to upgrade to full version or even play the game much more than what I did but I really hope Driveclub 2 happens and they can squeeze 60fps out of it. A 30fps racing game needs to be very special to draw me out of racing games that run at 60-144fps.

Another thing I wish the game had, and this is an issue with most racing games, is micro level bumps and things like that. Ever since I first tried iRacing years ago, most other racing games have had roads that are way too smooth. Sure, there's banks and elevation and all that, but that's macro level stuff. I want every straight and corner to feel special. I want to go back to tracks I've driven before and anticipate that legendary Monaco bump. Many racing games boast they have laser scanned tracks but even that doesn't guarantee the level of detail I'm hoping. Perhaps it's because they don't implement their laser scanned data completely faithfully or their suspension model just isn't feeding me with enough data to really feel those bumps. Modern rally games are especially bad with this as most of them still have perfectly smooth gravel roads. It feels and looks terrible in rally games. RBR had it right all those years ago. Ok, this isn't a deal breaker at all in Driveclub, just something I wanted to mention and I wish more games featured.

Yada yada, I think this PS+ version is going to sell some copies and turn a bunch of naysayers into believers. Even if it's over 1.5 years late, it's good that the PS+ version finally exists.

Pushsquare guide: Getting the most out of the Driveclub PS+ Edition

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2015...iveclub_ps_plus_edition#.VYxaZez5yMY.facebook

A cracking comment!

Thanks for the guide. Unfortunately the game turned me off in the first several seconds of the demo :/ Also, I might be alone in thinking this, but... The graphics are hoooorrible! Come on guys, we can do better than this D: GTA V driving looked better, and it's not only an open world game but a remaster of a last-gen game!

satchmo

Neo Member
This has been a long time coming, this post. I've been with Driveclub from the start, and I'm yet to post a comment about it on the internet. Now is the time. I discovered GAF through Driveclub, and it was one of the only places to read positive, honest, feedback about the game. I was there, following every thread, as the initial angry vibe changed to being one of love for a great game. I got to know Rushy through this forum, and his obvious passion for his work, and then found out the the news that half of Evo were being retrenched through the message boards here too. I have read so many comments about the PS+ edition, so many comments. And now, here it is. You got your free cut down game guys, all of you that commented, everyone of you, it's here. I hope you enjoy it.
So why do I love this game so much? Indulge me while I go through the reasons.

The first game I played to death on the PS3 was Motorstorm: Pacific Rift, and it was one of only a few games that got me addicted to online play. I got to silver legend, never made it to gold. The multiplayer of Evo's titiles hasn't really changed that much since that time. Get in quick, level playing field, race. So some of the love is purely nostalgia.

In a way I'm sad I love this game so much. It has ruined me for other racing games. How can I play another game which doesn't have the best tracks ever designed? Without SKN01 or Loch Duich or Chungara Lake or Glenmorgan or the Kyle (OMG the Kyle in a Venom GT), tracks which make your hands tense around the controller like a vice through those high speed chicanes, every time, what is the point? The track design is second to none, and where else can you race these tracks? Nowhere.

It's a game. Evo knows it, I know it. There's no pointless fluff that clouds the experience. I can get home from work, fire up the PS4, and be racing in a multiplayer race within a couple of minutes. It's about competing in little bite sized bursts. It gives that nugget of adrenaline that I can consume in under 10 minutes from start to finish - usually, once I've started, I'm in for at least 2 hours though. The menus are gamey, the feel of it is gamey, it's a game, it knows it's a game, and that is a Good Thing.

The game has been made with love. Those early reviews I read - the one from Eurogamer in particular - nearly stopped me from buying a PS4 to buy this game. They said it lacked soul. I'm glad I didn't listen, and nothing could have been more wrong. The passion for the road and the cars just oozes through. Matt Southern said when Driveclub was announced at E3 all those years ago, that the vision for the game was racing the best cars in the best locations in the world. They didn't disappoint.

So thanks, I guess, is how I want to end this. Fantastic game, well played Evo. I really feel like I've been on an incredible journey with you guys over the last 5 years. looking forward to owning some PS+ noobs in India :p

[/QUOTE]
So thanks, I guess, is how I want to end this. Fantastic game, well played Evo. I really feel like I've been on an incredible journey with you guys over the last 5 years. looking forward to owning some PS+ noobs in India :p[/QUOTE]

I was wondering about that, can we, owners of the full version of Drive Club play on the same multiplayer lobbys than the Ps+ version?

John Dunbar

correct about everything
the download finally finished this morning and i played that forced race at the beginning and one and a half lap of a time trial.

yep, still don't like racing games.

Vaga

This has been a long time coming, this post. I've been with Driveclub from the start, and I'm yet to post a comment about it on the internet. Now is the time. I discovered GAF through Driveclub, and it was one of the only places to read positive, honest, feedback about the game. I was there, following every thread, as the initial angry vibe changed to being one of love for a great game. I got to know Rushy through this forum, and his obvious passion for his work, and then found out the the news that half of Evo were being retrenched through the message boards here too. I have read so many comments about the PS+ edition, so many comments. And now, here it is. You got your free cut down game guys, all of you that commented, everyone of you, it's here. I hope you enjoy it.

The first game I played to death on the PS3 was Motorstorm: Pacific Rift, and it was one of only a few games that got me addicted to online play. I got to silver legend, never made it to gold. The multiplayer of Evo's titiles hasn't really changed that much since that time. Get in quick, level playing field, race. So some of the love is purely nostalgia.

In a way I'm sad I love this game so much. It has ruined me for other racing games. How can I play another game which doesn't have the best tracks ever designed? Without SKN01 or Loch Duich or Chungara Lake or Glenmorgan or the Kyle (OMG the Kyle in a Venom GT), tracks which make your hands tense around the controller like a vice through those high speed chicanes, every time, what is the point? The track design is second to none, and where else can you race these tracks? Nowhere.

It's a game. Evo knows it, I know it. There's no pointless fluff that clouds the experience. I can get home from work, fire up the PS4, and be racing in a multiplayer race within a couple of minutes. It's about competing in little bite sized bursts. It gives that nugget of adrenaline that I can consume in under 10 minutes from start to finish - usually, once I've started, I'm in for at least 2 hours though. The menus are gamey, the feel of it is gamey, it's a game, it knows it's a game, and that is a Good Thing.

The game has been made with love. Those early reviews I read - the one from Eurogamer in particular - nearly stopped me from buying a PS4 to buy this game. They said it lacked soul. I'm glad I didn't listen, and nothing could have been more wrong. The passion for the road and the cars just oozes through. Matt Southern said when Driveclub was announced at E3 all those years ago, that the vision for the game was racing the best cars in the best locations in the world. They didn't disappoint.

So thanks, I guess, is how I want to end this. Fantastic game, well played Evo. I really feel like I've been on an incredible journey with you guys over the last 5 years. looking forward to owning some PS+ noobs in India :p

Well said, especially the bolded part. I think DC is the first arcade in which there is not one single track in the whole game that I don't enjoy racing on. This is why open-world racers are nothing to me, those are the ones that have no fucking 'soul'. Even today I still can't believe I paid full price on that piece of shit Rivals, I blame the PS4 early days car hunger :)

Well said...

bombshell

The problem is that you said:

but its not even the best looking driving game so far this gen

But now you're talking about other genres.

So what racing game looks better than Driveclub in your eyes?

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
The problem is that you said:

But now you're talking about other genres.

So what racing game looks better than Driveclub in your eyes?

Forza Horizon does look a bit nicer to me, but as I said earlier, none of the racing games this gen thus far have looked great. So Horizon looking a BIT nicer doesn't necessarily mean that to me, Horizon is an amazing looking game itself.

Only the new Need for Speed has a "Holy shit!" look to me. Unless we're being completely faked out on that one.

bombshell

Forza Horizon does look a bit nicer to me, but as I said earlier, none of the racing games this gen thus far have looked great. So Horizon looking a BIT nicer doesn't necessarily mean that to me, Horizon is an amazing looking game itself.

Only the new Need for Speed has a "Holy shit!" look to me. Unless we're being completely faked out on that one.

Yeah, the new Need for Speed looked unbelievable at E3. Hopefully it's how it actually looks.

How many of the conditions Driveclub offers have you experienced? Because I definitely don't think FH2 looks better, not even close in some conditions.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Yeah, the new Need for Speed looked unbelievable at E3. Hopefully it's how it actually looks.

How many of the conditions Driveclub offers have you experienced? Because I definitely don't think FH2 looks better, not even close in some conditions.

Daylight, dry weather so far. The backgrounds seem to be the best looking part I've seen. The actual cars themselves have quite a bit of aliasing and just look...out of place? It's almost like they needed to add some softness to the cars to make them look like they belong in the world itself.

Daylight, dry weather so far. The backgrounds seem to be the best looking part I've seen. The actual cars themselves have quite a bit of aliasing and just look...out of place? It's almost like they needed to add some softness to the cars to make them look like they belong in the world itself.

DC has dynamic lighting and weather (Volumetric clouds that moves) that makes the game look very different depending on lighting and weather like real life effects, unlike Forza Horizon where developers made game to look nicer most of the time to eyes due to lack of dynamic lighting. Also track design in DC has diversity to race across many beautiful locations with dense vegetation which looks great depending on lighting and weather again which you can't find in another game so take a look at DC photomode shares then you will realize that this is truly next gen racer in visuals.

Are you meaning they look out of place because of lighting, colouring etc, or that they look like they've just been sellotaped onto the game?

Shaneus

*raucous applause*

Well, the latter, maybe because of the former? They just looked out of place, it was strange.
I think what you're probably seeing is the effects of the lack of a blob under the car.

Most racers tend to have almost two shadows really, the standard shadow casting the cars shape, and then a more static 'blob' shadow under the car which helps it sit on the ground and doesn't move regardless of the sun's position and is often visible all around the car.

DC doesn't have this, and it can depending on ToD make it look like it's not sitting right, but is actually realistic.

Rushy took this to explain himself.

http://www.loadthegame.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Driveclub1.jpg

As you can see the car there almost looks Photoshopped on.

I've been part of the Drivecult since day one!

@Rushy - Could you increase the number of replay slots? I thought 50 would be more than enough but I'm rapidly running out of space and don't want to be too selective of the replays I save!!

sirap

I'm a nut for car porn. I spent hours playing GT5 not for the actual driving experience, but to enjoy the replay afterwards.

Will I like this game? I just want Top Gear: The Game.

Stillmatic

Well, the latter, maybe because of the former? They just looked out of place, it was strange.

You'll probably change your mind after a few more races.

Gameplay screens said:
NHwTIzk.jpg

2LTiIDr.jpg

70ROhv0.jpg

w459SCE.jpg

5Mdx1CL.jpg

Cars are as beautiful as the environment (when not smashed up :p).

I've had this game since Christmas and I love it but damn I'm absolutely terrible with anything other than slow hatchbacks hah

It has a crazy learning curve, I sort of gave up on the game when I started getting to the exotics, they are wild and feel a lot more uncontrollable than the same cars in Gran Turismo 6 or other sims, then again, I have a wheel on the PS3 and no wheel for PS4 :(, so maybe thats why.

Is the PS+ version in the store labeled as Driveclub Demo or something like that?
Yeah, on the main entry for Driveclub, it is listed underneath the "buy" button as full game trial or somesuch. There isn't a aeparate listing on the store.

Edit: Looks like Sony just gave it its own banner listing in the PS Plus section of the store.

Is there an option to have the driving line on the whole time? Something that shows me the proper route and when to start breaking like GT or Forza? Otherwise loving the game.

Top Bottom