• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub PlayStation Plus Edition (Out Now)

Melchiah

I think it's unfortunately a leftover from the launch when the game could actually be described as hot garbage due to server issues and missing promised features. However, a lot of the people who say that about the game now probably either only played at launch (and not much since) or are never played it at all. Now, is it the best racer out there? No, it's not (I absolutely love it, though). And I'm not going to try to change someone's mind if it's not their cup of tea. But to call it hot garbage feels ridiculous after the post-launch content and updates. Putting it simply, if Driveclub released in the shape it is now, the reviews would be much more forgiving and positive.

The core gameplay has been the same from the very beginning, and many judged it for being too old school "corridor racer" instead of being For... open world. I don't recall seeing reviews, where online features were discussed in detail, but I could remember wrong.

Windforce

To me it's crazy that I've only seen it available 'cause I follow GAF or the ps blog, I mean I understand not making an E3 announcement for obvious reasons, or even a big fuss about it finally launching, but there's no mention at all of the newly launches PS+ Version on the store's splash screen or even sections' frontend... or at least that's how it is on the italian store atm.

Yes, it's like this on the NA side too. Sony's probably being discrete around it to avoid a major server load with everyone rushing to download it.

Question: I see 2 files - a 10 GB game and and a 15GB update. If I pause the update and download only the 10GB main file will I be able to start playing without the update?

NewDust

Yes, it's like this on the NA side too. Sony's probably being discrete around it to avoid a major server load with everyone rushing to download it.

Question: I see 2 files - a 10 GB game and and a 15GB update. If I pause the update and download only the 10GB main file will I be able to start playing without the update?
Yes... But the 10GB is the update file and the 15GB file the gamecontent.

The core gameplay has been the same from the very beginning, and many judged it for being too old school "corridor racer" instead of being For... open world. I don't recall seeing reviews, where online features were discussed in detail, but I could remember wrong.

The gameplay worked from the get go, but the launch (i.e. the online features) went as poorly as it could. The criticisms you noted were, yes, considered negatives against the game by some, but I think when most people criticize the game (even now), it is due to the struggles Evolution has had with the online stuff. To be fair, the social content was presented as the next-gen, stand out feature of the game (despite the jaw dropping visuals), so it was unfortunate when they struggled getting the online stuff up and running, even after being delayed a year (remember that it was meant to launch in 2013 with PS4). Evolution, through consistent support and dedication, has given us Driveclub as they envisioned it at the February 2013 PS4 reveal. Unfortunately, despite all the improvements, some people (serious or not) still think this Driveclub is the same Driveclub that released in October 2014. I hope the PS+ Edition helps dispel that.

I just played a bit of the game and... Wow. It feels amazing, looks incredible, and the main version seems to have a fuck ton of content. I love the mini challenges also. This is as good as a racer can be.
Too bad I don't have money to buy it now - I'm piss poor -, but I will as soon as can.

Are we making a PS+ GAF Club? I want in.

And motion controls ;)

Wait, it supports it?

Stillmatic

Loudninja

I just played a bit of the game and... Wow. It feels amazing, looks incredible, and the main version seems to have a fuck ton of content. I love the mini challenges also. This is as good as a racer can be.
Too bad I don't have money to buy it now - I'm piss poor -, but I will as soon as can.

Are we making a PS+ GAF Club? I want in.

Wait, it supports it?
Yeah motion control steering.

Played for about an hour today, as someone who doesn't really like racers and hardly plays them, all I can say is wow this game is beautiful.

I really miss those demo disks from OPM. It would be great to avoid this download right now. I'd pay $7-8 for a magazine and a disk version of the glorified demo.

TraBuch

Banned
Haven't played a racing game since Cruis'n USA in the arcade and it shows. I can't make clean turns for shit. Constantly running into walls and losing control.

Haven't played a racing game since Cruis'n USA in the arcade and it shows. I can't make clean turns for shit. Constantly running into walls and losing control.

Yeah, I had the same problems too when I first played. That and I would fishtail a lot. I've gotten much better going around turns. Still not great at it, but much better. Just remember, look for the turn flags. Green means you can probably remain at your current speed through the turn, yellow means you should probably slow down a bit, and red means you should really slow down (some of these turns can seem close to 90 degree angles).

Tainted

Which tour did they end up giving to you PS+ peeps ? I noticed a "startline" tour was added fairly recently in an update....is this the one which was made for this edition ?

Or do you get no tours and all and are limited to single races etc ?

So do some people have access to the online features, or none at all? I read that they'll be rolling it out, but I don't know across how far of a time span and at what rate.

Which tour did they end up giving to you PS+ peeps ? I noticed a "startline" tour was added fairly recently in an update....is this the one which was made for this edition ?

Or do you get no tours and all and are limited to single races etc ?
Yes you get the Startline Tour. It lets you get a taste of driving in the other countries.

Khayam

Banned
Yes you get the Startline Tour. It lets you get a taste of driving in the other countries.

Most importantly, it lets you experience the weather mode which came in later tours (even if you have the full game, you need to buy the DLCs or the Season Pass to enjoy it in Tour Mode).

etta

my hard graphic balls
For free or were you charged?

I downloaded the PS+ trial, and have no PayPal or CC attached to my account. I had both the disc version and digital version before, but I got a refund for the digital version (it was purchased by mistake), and sold the disc version.

And it does not appear in my "Purchase history" on the web.

Never mind, it does appear in the "Transaction history": DRIVECLUB™ PlayStation®Plus Edition (1)
$0.00

I think when they refunded me the digital version, the licence stuck on my account somehow? But I remember after getting a refund, and when I went into Library, it would show me a price tag instead of a "Download" button.

DjRalford

Glad more people will get to play this, it is an absolutly stunning game, when blasting through a course and the weather changes and the scene is perfect it can reall take your breath away.

RedAssedApe

Banned
so india tour should be played before startline (in terms of difficulty)? or are they about the same? i thought i was supposed to do startline first because of the name and because they seem to throw you into that first the first time you start the game?

I downloaded the PS+ trial, and have no PayPal or CC attached to my account. I had both the disc version and digital version before, but I got a refund for the digital version (it was purchased by mistake), and sold the disc version.

And it does not appear in my "Purchase history" on the web.

Never mind, it does appear in the "Transaction history": DRIVECLUB™ PlayStation®Plus Edition (1)
$0.00

I think when they refunded me the digital version, the licence stuck on my account somehow? But I remember after getting a refund, and when I went into Library, it would show me a price tag instead of a "Download" button.

Sounds like you stumbled on to a lucky loophole.

Fezan

Are there any club open for beginners like me. I have disc version just wanted to ask here as this is the most active thread

Apparently they can't remove games from your system once refunded. If you had kept Driveclub on your system you could have kept playing it until you deleted it. So you still kinda own Driveclub, resulting in the ps+ edition being unlocked. Loophole.

Tainted

so india tour should be played before startline (in terms of difficulty)? or are they about the same? i thought i was supposed to do startline first because of the name and because they seem to throw you into that first the first time you start the game?

I've owned the game for around 6 months and I still finding Startline difficult, I can't even unlock the 2nd tier of that tour fml

Dubz

Got the full version for 25 dollars. Can I get a club invite? I joined a random 3 man club but I'd rather be in a GAF Club.

PSN is Dizinator.

I never understood the point of the drift challenges mid race. Why would I want to slide round a corner losing speed in the middle of a lap?

The thrill is to try to do it without losing speed.
A perfect drift trajectory will not make you lose that much speed.
Also , more points if you have enough time to do it

Top Bottom