• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub PlayStation Plus Edition (Out Now)

squadr0n

Is this a timed trial version or does it last forever with ps+? The description doesn't really tell what your getting with this.

About damn time the idiots got this out

Downloading now

Love these posts. "Fuck evolution, man - they're the worst." *downloads evolution game*

large.gif

If it makes you angry, feel free to send a message and not play it. I figured this thread would devolve - rapidly - into this, but it's like every page

Gamesradar have re-reviewed the game today and gave it 4.5 / 5. Hopefully more sites do the same so DriveClub gets the recommendations it deserves now.

Loudninja

Anyone else having trouble connecting to the servers?

Starting on Thursday, all PlayStation Plus members can download Driveclub PS Plus Edition and begin playing the offline mode. Also starting Thursday, we will be rolling out online access to the Driveclub PS Plus Edition and will steadily bring more and more players online while continuously ensuring that all game systems are running smoothly. We know that this might be frustrating after your extra wait already, but hope you can understand that we are taking extra precautions to protect your experience when you do get online. We want to make sure we don’t overload the servers as we invite millions of PS Plus members to download the game tomorrow.

So I played a few races last night. The game is technically impressive but it's not my bag. I saw yesterday in this thread a few people were saying this game was arcadey. Not in my book. Arcadey means Ridge Racer, Daytona, or even Burnout. You know, games where you aren't being penalized for touching the other cars, you can drift very easily, it's hard to spin out, etc. This game may not be realistic but it is certainly more simmy than those. It reminds me a lot of what little I've played of the Forza series, except there's no helpful rewind button when you screw up. I'll probably play through each track once to see the sights and then delete it. I appreciate Sony following-through on the PSPlus version, though.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This has been a long time coming, this post. I've been with Driveclub from the start, and I'm yet to post a comment about it on the internet. Now is the time. I discovered GAF through Driveclub, and it was one of the only places to read positive, honest, feedback about the game. I was there, following every thread, as the initial angry vibe changed to being one of love for a great game. I got to know Rushy through this forum, and his obvious passion for his work, and then found out the the news that half of Evo were being retrenched through the message boards here too. I have read so many comments about the PS+ edition, so many comments. And now, here it is. You got your free cut down game guys, all of you that commented, everyone of you, it's here. I hope you enjoy it.
So why do I love this game so much? Indulge me while I go through the reasons.

The first game I played to death on the PS3 was Motorstorm: Pacific Rift, and it was one of only a few games that got me addicted to online play. I got to silver legend, never made it to gold. The multiplayer of Evo's titiles hasn't really changed that much since that time. Get in quick, level playing field, race. So some of the love is purely nostalgia.

In a way I'm sad I love this game so much. It has ruined me for other racing games. How can I play another game which doesn't have the best tracks ever designed? Without SKN01 or Loch Duich or Chungara Lake or Glenmorgan or the Kyle (OMG the Kyle in a Venom GT), tracks which make your hands tense around the controller like a vice through those high speed chicanes, every time, what is the point? The track design is second to none, and where else can you race these tracks? Nowhere.

It's a game. Evo knows it, I know it. There's no pointless fluff that clouds the experience. I can get home from work, fire up the PS4, and be racing in a multiplayer race within a couple of minutes. It's about competing in little bite sized bursts. It gives that nugget of adrenaline that I can consume in under 10 minutes from start to finish - usually, once I've started, I'm in for at least 2 hours though. The menus are gamey, the feel of it is gamey, it's a game, it knows it's a game, and that is a Good Thing.

The game has been made with love. Those early reviews I read - the one from Eurogamer in particular - nearly stopped me from buying a PS4 to buy this game. They said it lacked soul. I'm glad I didn't listen, and nothing could have been more wrong. The passion for the road and the cars just oozes through. Matt Southern said when Driveclub was announced at E3 all those years ago, that the vision for the game was racing the best cars in the best locations in the world. They didn't disappoint.

So thanks, I guess, is how I want to end this. Fantastic game, well played Evo. I really feel like I've been on an incredible journey with you guys over the last 5 years. looking forward to owning some PS+ noobs in India :p

Can someone recommend a website where I can get amazing forum posts printed onto canvas so I can hang them on my wall?

OmegaDL50

Just had a race in this - first time since the Cupcake beta back before it launched. I still don't think it looks as impressive as people make it out to be, maybe it's because it is 30fps, but yeah - doesn't really stand out to me.

Seems to play well though, might be playing a reasonable amount of this.

???

I don't understand this. Wouldn't the game look exactly the same if it was 60fps. I mean changing the framerate would be exactly that.

A higher framerate does not mean the already existing geometry, the lightning, the textures, reflections would change. "Graphically" the game would still look the same.

The only thing would change would be increased illusion of speed due to faster response time.

So criticizing the visuals and saying it's because the frame doesn't make any sense to me.

desu

So I played a few races last night. The game is technically impressive but it's not my bag. I saw yesterday in this thread a few people were saying this game was arcadey. Not in my book. Arcadey means Ridge Racer, Daytona, or even Burnout. You know, games where you aren't being penalized for touching the other cars, you can drift very easily, it's hard to spin out, etc. This game may not be realistic but it is certainly more simmy than those. It reminds me a lot of what little I've played of the Forza series, except there's no helpful rewind button when you screw up. I'll probably play through each track once to see the sights and then delete it. I appreciate Sony following-through on the PSPlus version, though.

Thats why people usually use the term "simcade", its neither really arcade nor simulation and more in the middle of both of them. May not be everyones cup but I and a lot of other people love it that way.

I still can't seem to download this from the NA site. Can I grab this from the PSN Store from my PS4?

I looked for it but I don't see a PS+ Edition just a "Full Game Trial" Is that the same thing?

TraBuch

Banned
Is this a normal racing game thing? I'm doing this one race, I finished in last place with a 5:49 time, first place was like 5:39. Tried it again, finished last again at 5:35, first place was 5:28. Raced again, placed seventh with a 5:26 time, first was 5:11. Raced again, finished ninth with a 5:11 time, first place was 5:05.

It's like as I'm gradually doing better, so are the other racers. It's pretty annoying.

Tainted

Gamesradar have re-reviewed the game today and gave it 4.5 / 5. Hopefully more sites do the same so DriveClub gets the recommendations it deserves now.

If any game deserves to be re-reviewed it is this one....as how the game stands now is vastly different to how it was at release. Im sure many sites, however, would not want to set a precedent of revisting games all the time though

While the game launch and delay with this was, wholly, unacceptable, the support Evo game this game took it from a 6/10 - solid, but nothing special and certainly lacking - to a solid 9/10. The season pass was well worth the money and the patches have been regular and seem to be almost entirely based on fan feedback. Driveclub will probably not get a "sequel" but continual, ever changing, versions with season passes for each year of content and I am absolutely OK with that because they delivered so much with this season pass.

MMaRsu

Is this a normal racing game thing? I'm doing this one race, I finished in last place with a 5:49 time, first place was like 5:39. Tried it again, finished last again at 5:35, first place was 5:28. Raced again, placed seventh with a 5:26 time, first was 5:11. Raced again, finished ninth with a 5:11 time, first place was 5:05.

It's like as I'm gradually doing better, so are the other racers. It's pretty annoying.

Against ai?

They race less great when you are also not driving great

desu

This game has no rubberbanding, however the AI will scale and slow down if you're last to make it easier for players to catch up again. Once you've catched up the AI will go back to it's original difficulty.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I think what you're probably seeing is the effects of the lack of a blob under the car.

Most racers tend to have almost two shadows really, the standard shadow casting the cars shape, and then a more static 'blob' shadow under the car which helps it sit on the ground and doesn't move regardless of the sun's position and is often visible all around the car.

DC doesn't have this, and it can depending on ToD make it look like it's not sitting right, but is actually realistic.

Rushy took this to explain himself.

http://www.loadthegame.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Driveclub1.jpg

As you can see the car there almost looks Photoshopped on.

Ok. Its not quite what I mean. The best way to describe it is, the backgrounds have a nice softness to them. I really like a "soft" image like the Order and Ryse have (or Ratchet and Clank). But the cars in Driveclub look sharp and aliased. Its like they're not part of the environment they're in. Where as in Forza the whole image is sharp and aliased. So yeah Forza doesn't look so hot either but the cars are a part of their environment.

Does that make a little more sense?

So will there be any complications of downloading the PS+ version and then buying the full game? Because it seems to be downloading the entire game right now

Kickz

Love these posts. "Fuck evolution, man - they're the worst." *downloads evolution game*

If it makes you angry, feel free to send a message and not play it. I figured this thread would devolve - rapidly - into this, but it's like every page

I can download the game and still criticize their slow roll out

If any game deserves to be re-reviewed it is this one....as how the game stands now is vastly different to how it was at release. Im sure many sites, however, would not want to set a precedent of revisting games all the time though

Sadly you are probably right, most sites won't give it a fair chance now but the old reviews really don't give a good or fair representation of the game now. Although it would be nice for a change if sites made an effort and did and not just for this game either.

Lots of games change because of patches and big updates these days so I think gaming reviews should be revisited if the changes are significant enough, maybe 3 - 6 months after 1st review if there has been heavy patching to correct or improve a game, maybe after a year if its a big online game like Elder Scrolls online.

Gamers and gaming sites focus far to much on the negative stuff these days just like DriveClubs crappy launch, but not many report on the fact it's changed and is bloody brilliant now. I think it does more harm to the game industry than good overall.

Having a lot of fun. Improved a lot on getting the feel of the turning down.

I am constantly braking and making turns, which helps a whole lot. Not completely sure how to drift properly yet (keep using circle to turn, never really perfected a smooth drift)

Graphics are of course gorgeous. Are there rain drop sound effects? I dont recall hearing them. Graphically, the only other thing missing are puddles splashes.

It feels very, VERY satisfying to practice a run, get better, and then REALLY do well and come up on top.

I love it, and will likely upgrade. Curious, what are the highlights of the season pass? They added a whole new area (Japan), right? How many unique tracks are there? I'm guessing they also wont be adding anymore new locations?

I love it, and will likely upgrade. Curious, what are the highlights of the season pass? They added a whole new area (Japan), right? How many unique tracks are there? I'm guessing they also wont be adding anymore new locations?
Upgrading to the full game will get you Japan and all the new tracks, and some free cars too I think. Those were free updates for all buyers of the game.

The season pass includes a bunch of car packs, liveries and tours, each with their own sets of themed events. The full package of game + season pass provides a ton of events and cars.

Has there been any word on when they will allow everyone online? I am still unable to connect and it is incredibly annoying seeing as some cars cannot even be used without access to the servers.

Loudninja

All the tracks are free with the full version so you dont need a season pass for those.

Has there been any word on when they will allow everyone online? I am still unable to connect and it is incredibly annoying seeing as some cars cannot even be used without access to the servers.
They rolling it out for people each day.

Upgrading to the full game will get you Japan and all the new tracks, and some free cars too I think. Those were free updates for all buyers of the game.

The season pass includes a bunch of car packs, liveries and tours, each with their own sets of themed events. The full package of game + season pass provides a ton of events and cars.

Oh yeah the tracks are free! Thanks!

How do you guys rank the locations anyway? Any of your prefer one strongly over the other?

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
Game is real pretty. It's very much more on the simulation side (penalties for rubbin. rubbin is racing.)

Controls well. Great graphics (again).. totally not my thing, but this seems like a reasonable "free" version of the full game for PS+ members to play and try out.

Completely unoffensive but meh?

Spaced33

Does the game take an abnormally long time to start up for anybody else? I thought the game had frozen at the Evolution studios logo.

Top Bottom