• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub PlayStation Plus Edition (Out Now)

nib95

Banned
Driving through cities would have been nice.

So that's your only barometer for tracks that look alive? Lol. Not amazing vistas, realistic foliage, botany and flora, trackside detail, elevation changes, sprinklers, birds, potpourri, landmarks, accurate art, graffiti, lakes, tunnels, balloons, road markings, variety, crowds, banners, geometry, buildings, electricity cabling and poles, dynamic volumetric clouds, the way the track is constantly affected by light, weather and all the rest?

I can just imagine developers reading comments like this and banging their heads in to tables lol.

Gestault

So that's your only barometer for tracks that look alive? Lol. Not amazing vistas, realistic foliage, botany and flora, trackside detail, elevation changes, sprinklers, birds, potpourri, landmarks, accurate art, graffiti, lakes, tunnels, balloons, road markings, variety, crowds, banners, geometry, buildings, electricity cabling and poles, dynamic volumetric clouds, the way the track is constantly affected by light, weather and all the rest?

I can just imagine developers reading comments like this and banging their heads in to tables lol.

A list with obvious redundancies and seemingly desperate kitchen-sink inclusions just weakens a perfectly good point on your part. Foliage, botany and flora, Nib? You've gotta get out of this pattern if you want people to get where you're coming from.

You forgot the gnome.

nib95

Banned
A list with obvious redundancies and "kitchen sink" style inclusions just weakens a perfectly good point on your part. Foliage, botany and flora, Nib? You've gotta get out of this pattern if you want people to get where you're coming from.

No it doesn't. As someone who's travelled to many of the locations in the game, it's those little details that set it apart. It shows that they've done their research, and actually nailed many of the geographic attributes of some of the locales, in the little graphical opportunity they have with the tracks. The flora and botany of India was actually one of the things that impressed me most about the track. The tree's, the shrubbery, the capsicum cultivation, the signage etc. Even the bloody whitewash paint strips on some of the trees! They absolutely nailed it.

The Argus

Is it just me or was the first race (the one it forces you into upon boot) in a locked map and not in India? I swear it looked different than all the other courses.

No it doesn't. As someone who's travelled to many of the locations in the game, it's those little details that set it apart. It shows that they've done their research, and actually nailed many of the geographic attributes of some of the locales, in the little graphical opportunity they have with the tracks.

Gestault is just highlighting you used three different words for the same thing.

I dont get it

There's birds flying across the track, raging storms, trees swaying in the wind, incredible sunrises and sunsets.

What else can you do? Have bears jump out at you from the bushes?
You say that but I've often thought when playing Wester Ross during dusk or night that the odd deer or something walking across the higher sections would be cool.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just tried a Japan track in PS+ Edition on a club challenge. The colors and environmental scenery is just stunning. Like a lucid dream.

StewboaT_

You have not seen anything about the game. No one can have fun with anything just by having an slight glimpse at it : /
To be fair, I've played for a few hours already. I just mean that everytime I turn it on, I can only last a few races. I'll keep playing though, hopefully things start to click.

Qassim

Just had a race in this - first time since the Cupcake beta back before it launched. I still don't think it looks as impressive as people make it out to be, maybe it's because it is 30fps, but yeah - doesn't really stand out to me.

Seems to play well though, might be playing a reasonable amount of this.

Gestault

Just had a race in this - first time since the Cupcake beta back before it launched. I still don't think it looks as impressive as people make it out to be, maybe it's because it is 30fps, but yeah - doesn't really stand out to me.

I'd say try an afternoon rainstorm race on Lake Shoji from the in-car view. You know that feeling you get listening to the soft pitter-patter of rain on the outside of a house? Imagine that punctuated by the sounds of a performance car.

Brandon F

Wait, you can play tracks other than India on challenges? :eek:

Actually I might be mistaken and it was a high-level tour in Startline, not a community challenge. But yes, the PS+ version does have at least one event in Japan you can do, and its eye-candy.

People moaning about a spot of rain obscuring their view, ha!

XqHDMT69E_s7.gif

waypoetic

Banned
"You've unlocked car X! This isn't available in the PS+ edition!"

Yaay... And the free cars in the store aren't available either. Great.

Kill3r7

That's high praise since Burnout Paradise is the best racing game ever made.

DC and Burnout Paradise have nothing in common outside of both being racing games. Burnout is closer to FH if anything. That said, DC is a fine racing game with excellent top notch visuals.

No it doesn't. As someone who's travelled to many of the locations in the game, it's those little details that set it apart. It shows that they've done their research, and actually nailed many of the geographic attributes of some of the locales, in the little graphical opportunity they have with the tracks. The flora and botany of India was actually one of the things that impressed me most about the track. The tree's, the shrubbery, the capsicum cultivation, the signage etc. Even the bloody whitewash paint strips on some of the trees! They absolutely nailed it.

Evolution studios attention to detail is stunning and I noticed it particularly in the India tracks as I've been to nilgiri Hills in the real world. Nice one nib

alarre1

Neo Member
Not sure if it's only me, but do the gifs look and run a lot smoother than the actual game? Gifs seem to be running faster than 30 fps.

On what display are you playing Driveclub?

Brandon F

I do really like how differently each car feels in this game. I adore Forza, but often many of the cars in the same class can sometimes feel identical making the variety feel a bit less interesting. Even just comparing a Mini to the Audi(?) in the same Hatch class, I can really get an immediate sense of the slight differences in handling and such. Granted I can only mess around with the few PS+ cars, but its been a nice touch.

pixelbox

I'd say try an afternoon rainstorm race on Lake Shoji from the in-car view. You know that feeling you get listening to the soft pitter-patter of rain on the outside of a house? Imagine that punctuated by the sounds of a performance car.
This is a dig at the game for being 30 fps.

The thing that got me, was the shift from front wheel drive cars, to rear wheel. Went from reliably first, to barely making it around. I've only driven front wheel IRL, and I don't normally play driving games.

Download file size only 2.740gb?

That is the bare minimum to run the game, but then there's a mandatory update of 10.something gb to start playing it, and then it keeps downloading the rest of the game in the background (more than 10 gb, as far as I remember).

Not a big fan. Only done a few races, but my main issues are

1. Crappy camera view.

I prefer a view where see nothing, but in this game that view seems to be on the flipping floor or something because it really low down, makes it so cannot see the track very well, and not at all when other cars in front of you.

2. Punished for hitting other cars.

Yeah, until a dev stops making AI that cuts you up and slows to a crawl when you're going full speed, this sort of mechanic is dogshit. And of course I get punished when they hit me.

3. You unlocked a car! Not really.

The crap trying to make you pay up for full version everywhere. Just picking a car is an arse ache with all the non PS+ Edition crap got to scroll past. And even the free DLC cars cannot be used with the PS+ edition? Really? Your free cars need be held back Sony, there is some sort of loss here? That the sort of crap that will make me never buy the full game out of spite.

IKizzLE

Not a big fan. Only done a few races, but my main issues are

1. Crappy camera view.

I prefer a view where see nothing, but in this game that view seems to be on the flipping floor or something because it really low down, makes it so cannot see the track very well, and not at all when other cars in front of you.

2. Punished for hitting other cars.

Yeah, until a dev stops making AI that cuts you up and slows to a crawl when you're going full speed, this sort of mechanic is dogshit. And of course I get punished when they hit me.

3. You unlocked a car! Not really.

The crap trying to make you pay up for full version everywhere. Just picking a car is an arse ache with all the non PS+ Edition crap got to scroll past. And even the free DLC cars cannot be used with the PS+ edition? Really? Your free cars need be held back Sony, there is some sort of loss here? That the sort of crap that will make me never buy the full game out of spite.

All pretty reasonable complaints. Onlybthung I'll say is about losing points for folks hitting you; it sucks but as long as you 3 star events and beat the single player content, you'll end up unlocking everything eventually. Full game of course.

I suck at this game. First game came in at 3rd and was like, "this is cool". Next 10 races came in 12th and was like "F%*k this!"

I don't know how to brake.

I don't like racing games (even less after getting my driving license), but this is going to stay on my HDD as the game you show to people when you want to brag about your new gaming system.

All pretty reasonable complaints. Onlybthung I'll say is about losing points for folks hitting you; it sucks but as long as you 3 star events and beat the single player content, you'll end up unlocking everything eventually. Full game of course.

Plus the more you play actually hitting cars becomes unusual unless you are right up their backsides or don't move your line when you are going faster than them as most are usually user error. The aggressive AI also becomes less of a problem and see it maybe once or twice in every ten races and then it is only a 100 points out of thousands you get per race.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Forza Horizon does look a bit nicer to me, but as I said earlier, none of the racing games this gen thus far have looked great. So Horizon looking a BIT nicer doesn't necessarily mean that to me, Horizon is an amazing looking game itself.

Only the new Need for Speed has a "Holy shit!" look to me. Unless we're being completely faked out on that one.

None have looked great? Have you played racing games in the past?

I went to download the Plus Version last night, I've been holding out for so long, it's finally here! Of course my Plus subscription is now expired. Well played Sony, well played.

Khayam

Banned
I don't like racing games (even less after getting my driving license), but this is going to stay on my HDD as the game you show to people when you want to brag about your new gaming system.

I know that feeling :D

It speaks to the older people mostly, who are not up to date with gaming today. I was playing on the living room TV last month and Mom though it was an actual race I was watching. Dad was trying to have a conversation with a friend but kept looking at the screen and losing his words. And obviously criticizing my late breaking.

Top Bottom