• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub PlayStation Plus Edition (Out Now)

Does the game take an abnormally long time to start up for anybody else? I thought the game had frozen at the Evolution studios logo.

That happened to me even tried restarting the PS4 still happened. Then I tried opening the PSN store see if that would do anything and strangely enough that did it.

Should only take a few seconds to start up freezing on the logo is a glitch or something.

nib95

Banned
DRIVECLUBtrade_20150331094905.jpg~original

DRIVECLUBtrade_20150422005119.jpg~original

DRIVECLUBtrade_20150331100427.jpg~original

DRIVECLUBtrade_20150422005340.jpg~original

DRIVECLUBtrade_20150331101720.jpg~original

DRIVECLUBtrade_20150319014437.jpg~original

DRIVECLUBtrade_20150325013153.jpg~original

DRIVECLUBtrade_20150325012633.jpg~original

DRIVECLUBtrade_20141208174642.jpeg~original

DRIVECLUBtrade_20150331095431.jpg~original

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
Game seems ok, but the PS+ edition thing is kind of a joke. It's a demo that constantly reminds you to buy the real game. It's actually more intrusive than most things that actually call themselves demos in my opinion. No thanks.

OK, so the game is pretty good. Looks amazing, very satisfying handling model and a decent amount of variety, even in this glorified demo form.

Well, it would maybe be the world's most generous demo if you were to classify it as such. Personally I'm OK with the amount of content provided for free.

So I played a few races last night. The game is technically impressive but it's not my bag. I saw yesterday in this thread a few people were saying this game was arcadey. Not in my book. Arcadey means Ridge Racer, Daytona, or even Burnout. You know, games where you aren't being penalized for touching the other cars, you can drift very easily, it's hard to spin out, etc. This game may not be realistic but it is certainly more simmy than those. It reminds me a lot of what little I've played of the Forza series, except there's no helpful rewind button when you screw up. I'll probably play through each track once to see the sights and then delete it. I appreciate Sony following-through on the PSPlus version, though.

Remember to press right on the dpad to disable HUD! A much cooler experience!
And if you are willing to get used to the half sim half arcade nature of the game, you'll see it is an incredibly fun game.

Game seems ok, but the PS+ edition thing is kind of a joke. It's a demo that constantly reminds you to buy the real game. It's actually more intrusive than most things that actually call themselves demos in my opinion. No thanks.

Haha, what? they offer a lot of content, full weather, a whole location, trophies, a single player series...of course they want you to upgrade, and a lot of the content will be locked away. How can you call it a joke?

drotahorror

What is KERS and DRS

Only on a couple of cars. One is basically a nitrous and the other adjusts some things on the car to make it faster but harder to handle. One is a toggle and the other you have to hold the button down. Both cars that feature these things are hyper cars. One is DLC, the other isn't. Oh the one that has both is a McLaren. Also, the sick Motorstorm buggy has nitro. It will also make you want another Motorstorm.

Haha, what? they offer a lot of content, full weather, a whole location, trophies, a single player series...of course they want you to upgrade, and a lot of the content will be locked away. How can you call it a joke?

And it's only what, $25 or $30 to upgrade to everything? That's a great deal imo.

Only on a couple of cars. One is basically a nitrous and the other adjusts some things on the car to make it faster but harder to handle. One is a toggle and the other you have to hold the button down. Both cars that feature these things are hyper cars. One is DLC, the other isn't. Oh the one that has both is a McLaren. Also, the sick Motorstorm buggy has nitro. It will also make you want another Motorstorm.

And it's only what, $25 or $30 to upgrade to everything? That's a great deal imo.

Thanks!

Is that the permanent PS+ discount? I dont have the money right now, but I dont want to pass up on the deal

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

I haven't seen a single interstitial screen telling me to buy something, unless you count the car unlock screen, which happens whether you need to buy the car or not. There are tons of menu options that have the little purchase icon, but that's completely passive; it's just the game's normal menu system with some stuff locked out. Your definition of intrusive is a stretch.

If you're trying to say it's full of visible reminders that there is more content, then yes, you're right. If this actively puts you off playing the game, then yes, you're crazy.

Are you using the PS+ Version, I believe that the online component is not active for everyone yet as per the OP

Thanks, I should have taken the time to read the whole OP, I was trying to play with a friend of mine and while he could play online with the PS+ version, I couldn't. I was about to re-download the game until I heard about it. Cheers!

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
Thanks, I should have taken the time to read the whole OP, I was trying to play with a friend of mine and while he could play online with the PS+ version, I couldn't. I was about to re-download the game until I heard about it. Cheers!

Same here. Thought it crashed. Just takes forever.

It's shouldn't take more than 20 seconds

AkuMifune

Banned
Oh yeah sure we can get the platinum. Too bad we'd still have like 50% completion from all the missing DLC trophies.

Ain't mad. Game is gorgeous and a ton of fun. When I milk all I can I'll probably pick up the full thing. Someone start a scrub club.

Oh yeah sure we can get the platinum. Too bad we'd still have like 50% completion from all the missing DLC trophies.

Ain't mad. Game is gorgeous and a ton of fun. When I milk all I can I'll probably pick up the full thing. Someone start a scrub club.

The dlc trophies don't count for Platinum. You can get Platinum with only the main game...

P.s sorry for the double post

Come on guys.. I'm loving the PS+ edition, but it is totally a demo. Limited content and constant reminder to buy the full thing. There is absolutely nothing that makes it different from a (superb) demo besides trophies.

It's shouldn't take more than 20 seconds

It takes a lot less for me. It impressed me actually with how fast everything loads.

Loudninja

Come on guys.. I'm loving the PS+ edition, but it is totally a demo. Limited content and constant reminder to buy the full thing. There is absolutely nothing that makes it different from a (superb) demo besides trophies.

It takes a lot less for me. It impressed me actually with how fast everything loads.
Demos don't let you get trophies demos don't let you play online with people that bought the game.

Demos dont have all modes payable either. :p

Demos don't let you get trophies demos don't let you play online with people that bought the game.

Demos dont have all modes payable either. :p

Some demos do have all modes playable.
Regarding the rest.. I'm not sure they are that paramount to making the game that much less of a demo. It is still limited access to content with the intent to make you buy the full version. A demonstration of what the full package offers. I think that is why it is called a "demo".

I really wouldn't like to deviate the thread though.

OT:
I've actually vacationed in Munnar. Beautiful place. Pretty third world but the natural scenery is mesmerizing.

If they ever make a motorstorm, I just want to drive in dense, dark Indian jungle. It's just so eerie to be somewhere so isolated.

I love the darkness in this game. Feels like Im on an airplane.

Holding r3 in night races and seeing no lights from cars, just darkness... it looks so good

Lasdrub

I need a a training mode or something. I'm just terrible at this game. It also seems to rain or snow on every track I've played.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Had this been a typical demo, you would get 1 track, 1 race, maybe 1-2 cars. The moment you cross the finish line a splash screen comes up telling you to buy the full game with some bullet points describing all features and a release date before kicking you back to the same race to restart. Hell you can go check out any motorstorm demo still on PS3 to confirm.

This is well beyond a mere demo, providing more than enough information to the consumer to decide if an upgrade is worthwhile. You are essentially given a limited pass to the full game experience. Content is limited but you have full transparency as to what the $25 and dlc options will provide including the social elements.

finalflame

Pretty terribly disappointed and underwhelmed at how this game looks outside of photo mode and how it plays. Honestly the hype on GAF had me expecting way more.

5/10 at best, on my scale. Uninstalled promptly :/

Artex

Banned
So I played a few races last night. The game is technically impressive but it's not my bag. I saw yesterday in this thread a few people were saying this game was arcadey. Not in my book. Arcadey means Ridge Racer, Daytona, or even Burnout. You know, games where you aren't being penalized for touching the other cars, you can drift very easily, it's hard to spin out, etc. This game may not be realistic but it is certainly more simmy than those. It reminds me a lot of what little I've played of the Forza series, except there's no helpful rewind button when you screw up. I'll probably play through each track once to see the sights and then delete it. I appreciate Sony following-through on the PSPlus version, though.

Rewind is the lamest feature ever to grace the racing genre. That is the noobiest noobity noob move in the history of noobality.

Pretty terribly disappointed and underwhelmed at how this game looks outside of photo mode and how it plays. Honestly the hype on GAF had me expecting way more.

5/10 at best, on my scale. Uninstalled promptly :/

I felt exactly the same after the first 2 nights of play, back when the game came out last year.
Then something just clicked. It has a sublime handling model on a controller. The AI is just aggressive enough, for some good races. And it's BEAUTIFUL!
Still play it 6 months later.
You've got to give it more than an evening.

Urghh...why would some of you want a rewind button and guide-lines '-(

this new age of gamer with their tutorials...

You disgust me

Disgust I say!

Ok. Its not quite what I mean. The best way to describe it is, the backgrounds have a nice softness to them. I really like a "soft" image like the Order and Ryse have (or Ratchet and Clank). But the cars in Driveclub look sharp and aliased. Its like they're not part of the environment they're in. Where as in Forza the whole image is sharp and aliased. So yeah Forza doesn't look so hot either but the cars are a part of their environment.

Does that make a little more sense?
Yup, makes sense, and I can see where you're coming from. You're right, the surrounds are soft, bit too much for me in some places.

Though I don't share your view that it doesn't make the car sit nicely. Maybe it's something you get used to.

Urghh...why would some of you want a rewind button and guide-lines '-(

this new age of gamer with their tutorials...

You disgust me

Disgust I say!
They're helpful tools when you're learning a game. I play a lot of racers, and even though I know how to take a corner and how to drive different types of cars I still use stuff like braking point aides and rewind when I first get a new racer because it just speeds up the adjustment to the game in terms of how it differs from the last game I put a lot of time into.

So I don't think it is unrealistic for people to want them to be there, but at the same time it is overboard to cast it off for the lack of them.

Sayad

Really love the controls, a nice mix between arcade and sim.

One thing though, the game started installing and became ready to play when the download was at like 20%, except, I couldn't start the game without downloading the update first which is like 10GB! Like, what was the point of the early install if you're going to force people to wait for a 10GB update any way? >_<

Top Bottom