• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeon Siege III |OT| Obsidian plus complete lack of ambition equals...

What's the penalty for death in this game? There was a message about it when I died for the first time in the demo, but I clicked through it.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Reluctant-Hero said:
What's the penalty for death in this game? There was a message about it when I died for the first time in the demo, but I clicked through it.

You lose your memories, starting with your memory of the death penalty explanation.

I am buying this game Day 1 because I buy ALL dungeon crawlers/ loot games day 1..it's simply my genre, but they did bork the online co op on this correct?

I heard it is not jump in jump out with your character, correct?

Fredescu

Anerythristic said:
I am buying this game Day 1 because I buy ALL dungeon crawlers/ loot games day 1..it's simply my genre, but they did bork the online co op on this correct?

I heard it is not jump in jump out with your character, correct?
Correct. Both characters are saved at the host.

legbone

V_Arnold said:
At this point I might just as well remove that one review. I picked that up from the trailer thread, it was linked there.Once the important site's review kick in, that one will not have too much importance, I guess.

Also, should I *google* that one? Was hoping that phrase is nothing but some ...name. o_O

EDIT: But also, the review itself is quite well written anyway :p

only google if you are not at work. otherwise, enjoy!!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
So I have been staying media free on this. How is are story and characters shaping up? The art design? And has Obsidian improved on polish?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
legbone said:
you are in for quite an interesting google search adventure if you choose to look it up.
Slightly OT, but funny little fact: I went to college with a suicide girl. She was pretty cool peeps, but her boyfriend was pretty weird.

Anyway, is the PC demo worth checking out? I was thoroughly unimpressed with the 360 demo (since the PC demo wasn't out at the time), and I'm curious if there's a large graphical disparity between the two as I assume there is.

bengraven

V_Arnold said:
At this point I might just as well remove that one review. I picked that up from the trailer thread, it was linked there.Once the important site's review kick in, that one will not have too much importance, I guess.

Also, should I *google* that one? Was hoping that phrase is nothing but some ...name. o_O

EDIT: But also, the review itself is quite well written anyway :p

Ha, I used to write for Suicide Girls.

Labadal

From the commercial thread:

I'm really enjoying it so far. Playing the PC version with a gamepad. But I will probably use kb&m when keybinding is patched in(confirmed by OEI). Playing single player as Reinhart. Focusing on his short range stance mostly. He basically plays as a monk that way. Have Anjali as a companion. She mostly stays back and uses her fire form. Her AI isn't perfect, but she hasn't died on me yet(normal difficulty). Lots of loot to pick up and the different attributes from items can help different tactics. Combat is action oriented, but not too button mashy imo. I tried just charging in wildly, but I was punished. Dodging and blocking will save your ass. Game looks fairly good in game, less good in conversations, but I am happy with the overall visuals. No bugs or other technical problems so far. Runs silky smooth. Vsync disabled, everything maxed out. Played two hours so far, so I haven't come a long way yet. If there is something more specific you want to know, don't hesitate to ask.

JDS 1977

Banned
After trying the PC demo it seems the only way to play this well is with a gamepad. So I'm guessing if I pick it up down the road on the cheap it will be for console. I hate the odd keyboard controls this game has. What does DS have against click to move?

derFeef

JDS 1977 said:
After trying the PC demo it seems the only way to play this well is with a gamepad. So I'm guessing if I pick it up down the road on the cheap it will be for console. I hate the odd keyboard controls this game has. What does DS have against click to move?
I think your reason is coop? Would not make sense otherwhise. PC version is cheaper and looks better as well.

To people who are playing it early, are you in the US? If so, is it broken street date? Because nowhere around me has gotten this or shadows of the damned yet

dak1dsk1 said:
The game is a joke. Stay clear.

A quality dungeon crawler means differences in music, graphics/character animation and the big thing is loot quality/drops and loot implementation.

I have heard this game looks fine to good (lighting and effects re there), the music is good and the character animation is good. I have to judge loot drops for myself.

It is getting good reviews so far as well, how bad can it be?

Fredescu

HK-47 said:
So I have been staying media free on this. How is are story and characters shaping up? The art design? And has Obsidian improved on polish?
Polish is great. Story seems interesting so far, and there are tonnes of little lore elements scattered around the place. The characters honestly don't seem that good yet, and nor does the dialog, but I'll wait and see how they end up. I'm not a good judge of art design, but I like the look and feel for what its worth. It's a decent middle ground between cartoon and realism.

Raide

Just picked up the special edition at GAME, will post my thoughts once I have put a few hours into it. Trust my addiction to loot and I will give it a fair shake. Last game I purchased was the D&D XBLA game. :D

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Eurogamer Review said:
Unfortunately, the same can't be said for the game's equipment system, which is something of a let-down and exactly where those mysterious statistics like "Will" and "Agility" make their sad appearance. Nobody likes you, weird stats! Go home!

Here's how loot works in Dungeon Siege III: you nudge open a slug egg or pile of bones and something called Brave Pants fall out. They look the same as your existing pants. You open up the equipment screen. They seem worse than your existing pants, and so you leave them there, in your growing collection of pants that look the same as your current pants but instead of offering +4 attack, +2 armour and +4 Chaos: Doom they offer entirely different buffs, like +4 will and +5 block.

It's miserable. Fortunately, it's easily fixed by opening your equipment menu once every 30 minutes and simply equipping the most expensive item you have in each category.

People get paid to write this shit?

TheExodu5

Banned
I will be trying the demo this weekend. I'm prepared to rip it to shreds, if need be, but I'll give it a fair chance.

I was going to get this, but the synchronous multiplayer experience is not what I was looking for. I was looking for a multiplayer component compatible with asynchronous play (like in Diablo 2). It would take a pretty fantastic demo to sell me on this game.

V_Arnold

Well, that is really a dumb thing to say by the Eurogamer reviewer, really.
As far as I know (I am several hours into the game, not longer), Will increases the damage of the SPECIAL attacks - which are crucial part of the combat, while Agility increases the chance of causing critical damge (maybe helps with the blocking stuff too, but not sure about that).

Even in lower levels, it is fun to have the option to focus on your specials or your normals, so no, do NOT go away. Jeez.

Fredescu

The demo is not fantastic. I can save you the time and tell you that if you're looking for a vaguely Diablo or even Torchlight experience, you're not going to get it.

derFeef

First 30 minutes in and loving Katarina. Regarding loot and appearance - her color of her top already changed 4 times. It is subtle, but it is there :)

I will take some screenshots with max settings. Sadly I can not force a higher AA value since the game gives me graphical errors then. Btw. who said black bars with 16:10 resolution? That is not true at all.

mik

mik is unbeatable
I'm pretty astonished the game is reviewing so well--I thought the demo was awful. Maybe I'll have to give it a chance after all and just hope it was a shitty demo.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
mik said:
I'm pretty astonished the game is reviewing so well--I thought the demo was awful. Maybe I'll have to give it a chance after all and just hope it was a shitty demo.
Well Obsidian has the best track record in the industry of taking someone elses property and making it much better (Kotor, NWN, FPS Fallout).

Woo-Fu

Banned
Sinatar said:
People get paid to write this shit?

I actually agree with what he is saying in the review. Just like the previous siege games you end up with an inventory full of crap, 99% of which isn't worth wearing/wielding. More games need to do what Sacred 2 did, which is let you sell that junk in the field. Maybe DS3 lets you do that and I haven't figured it out yet.

Raide

After a short while playing as the Sword and Shield guy, I am enjoying it. Looks really nice (360) and the combat is pretty fun. The Inventory does take a while getting use to but a quick tap Right on the D-Pad helps you access the menus instead of pressing Start.

Since I play so many loot games, the frequency of loot in the early stages does dictate my interest in the game. DS3 does not disappoint, though its a little annoying to tab LB and tap it again to pick it up. Gold is auto-collect but I wish items were as well. The option to transmute into gold rubbish objects or items you cannot equip, is also really handy. I am not sure if you have a shared stash, so it might be better to auto Transmute those objects.

Will play some more as the other characters and see how things pan out.

I am also impressed by the story animations as you play the game. They look really good and the music and dialogue really helps.

Sober

Woo-Fu said:
I actually agree with what he is saying in the review. Just like the previous siege games you end up with an inventory full of crap, 99% of which isn't worth wearing/wielding. More games need to do what Sacred 2 did, which is let you sell that junk in the field. Maybe DS3 lets you do that and I haven't figured it out yet.
You can "transmute" items you don't need into a sum of gold. Dunno if it's equal to selling it, but it's there just the same.

Raide

Recurring Nightmare said:
Thanks for the OT op, good job on your first!

I am a few hours in playing as Anjali and am loving it, great dungeon crawler!

The Flame Girl? Just started her now and she seems really fun!

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Class_A_Ninja said:
What's with all the 8's? It thought this game would be terrible based on the demo impressions. I was interested before the demo, maybe I should get interested again.

I'm guessing most of them are reviewing the console versions and not bumping into the reported pc-oddities.

derFeef

Corky said:
I'm guessing most of them are reviewing the console versions and not bumping into the reported pc-oddities.
Not having any oddities so far.

Here are two screenshots.

10e351cd.jpg

344eb7ac.jpg

derFeef

dak1dsk1 said:
Check the demo thread. I'll just lean back and watch this thread turn sour, as more people try the game.

Nice OP btw. No criticizing that.
So you have not actually played the game yet?

Vlodril

I think the demo didn't have either katarina or reinhard. Katarina is definitely more interesting in combat. Surprising polish as i said for an obsidian game. Looks good on the pc (although the faces are too static.. maybe la noire is ruining me.. ).

For me Obsidian delivers yet again.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
dak1dsk1 said:
Check the demo thread. I'll just lean back and watch this thread turn sour, as more people try the game.

Did you even play the demo at all or are you just the garden variety Obsidian hating shit stirrer that has never even played one of their games?

jtrov

Just started the game as Katarina, and I'm having a blast so far just playing in singleplayer.

I'm actually impressed with the loot to this point so far. There are some really nice effects to some of the weapons and armors. The venom ability on this (Green) colored drop is just ripping through the fodder in this early part of the game. Also found a Rifle with some great agility and speed stats that allow me to pull of distance shots at fast speeds, which has been great for a group of ranged enemies. Also, to those playing Singleplayer, keep loot for the other Legionnaires, because eventually some will join your party. I was tempted to sell some rare equip that I could not wear, but held off, and now Anjali is in my party. I've since hooked her up with some solid equipment, and as a duo we are ripping through enemies.

Just really enjoying the game so far. It may not be anything revolutionary, or astonishing, but the game itself is great fun and the story so far seems interesting. Even the side quests such as,
killing a mysterious lake monster for a poor fisherman in need
, is great fun. I have really yet to advance the story, because I've been exploring the lands looking for loot and acquiring side-quests.

I'm also really enjoying the artstyle of the game a long with the 4 main characters. Especially the design of both Anjali and Katarina.

dak1dsk1 said:

So just to get this straight, you come into the thread to say the game is a joke, refuse to give reasons why, suggest you haven't even played the actual game, and seem genuinely excited to see people end up hating it. Good to know.

Depending on if there's a Summer sale on Steam I'll be buying this next week. As I mentioned in the other thread, this quote pretty much made my mind up as it changed my point of view:

And I enjoyed both times I’ve played through Dungeon Siege 3. If there were one word I could use to describe this game, it would be “solid.” It brought to mind classic arcade beat-’em-ups like Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow Over Mystara

Top Bottom