• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeon Siege III |OT| Obsidian plus complete lack of ambition equals...

V_Arnold

LastWindow said:
Depending on if there's a Summer sale on Steam I'll be buying this next week. As I mentioned in the other thread, this quote pretty much made my mind up as it changed my point of view:

After 4 hours, I am totally treating this as something like the old classics, or hell, even like Guardian of Light on steroids. It is not a Diablo-type game, and it helps immensely to not try and treat it as one.

Also, the transition between areas is beautiful. Love the coloring of the game so far.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I am sold. Very excited. This is a genre that has not been represented well this generation on consoles.

Shadows of the Damned and Dungeon Siege 3 combo on june 21st!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
dak1dsk1 said:
Check the demo thread. I'll just lean back and watch this thread turn sour, as more people try the game.

Nice OP btw. No criticizing that.

It's not a bad game as long as you play it with a controller.

jtrov

V_Arnold said:
After 4 hours, I am totally treating this as something like the old classics, or hell, even like Guardian of Light on steroids. It is not a Diablo-type game, and it helps immensely to not try and treat it as one.

Also, the transition between areas is beautiful. Love the coloring of the game so far.

Agreed, I'm really loving the look of the game. My only gripe is that towns feel so life-less. What I mean by that is NPC's look like statues, only moving at the very slightest. Almost feels like an old NES RPG where they would stand still for 30 seconds, and then move once to the right.

I'm not very far, but I'm hoping this isn't the case in later villages.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
Is anyone else playing on hardcore? I got to the end of the cave near Raven's Rill and it's just impossible (playing as Katarina btw).

Sinatar said:
People get paid to write this shit?

Maybe read what he says.

The armor skin is the same, and the only difference is +x of a stat.
Wooptie fucking doo.

Unique looks, cool sets, FUN to use setbonusses, unique spells/abilities from armor etc would have been interesting.

+2 armor is not. (edit: neither is +2000 armor,or +5 crit or whatever)

jtrov

Blizniak said:
Is anyone else playing on hardcore? I got to the end of the cave near Raven's Rill and it's just impossible (playing as Katarina btw).

If you're at the boss, try to keep your distance. I'll spoiler just in-case:
The witch will keep her distance and fire off long-range spells, just roll or run out of the way and fire off shots with your Rifle. If her minions get in close switch to your dual-weapon and fend them off. Use your abilities freely as those minions will drop health or mana orbs to recover. Once you're one-on-one with the witch, just stay back and use your long-shot ability for some heavy damage. Basically, just keep your distance, and dodge her long-range spells. The homing spell can be dodge, by rolling or running away until it eventually dissolves.

Good luck, hope this helps! :)

SneakyStephan said:
Unique looks, cool sets, FUN to use setbonusses, unique spells/abilities from armor etc would have been interesting.

+2 armor is not.

That is in the game. I'm only a little past Raven Hill and I have found weapons that have Ice abilities, Fire abilities, Ricochet (really cool ability that allows bullets to bounce around and hit multiple targets), and Poison (which is also really cool, as it slowly drains their health and can sometimes infect other enemies). These are just some of the items I've found in only 5 hours of play-time. Some of the weapons also have cosmetic glows or auroras around them, while also looking different than what I previously had. Also, while with Katarina I have only acquired palette swaps for her blouse, I have found some different looking armor for Anjali, that was far more than a palette swap. It's still very early in the game, but I'm liking the differences in the loot so far.

derFeef

Entering new areas now, I love that there is no loading, really well done. The combat is fun as well and it is pretty deep, I did not expect that. Switching stances to get bonuses, firing off abilities and so on, very nice.

amitlu

Banned
It's a very good diablo-like, but absolutely made for a controller which is not a bad thing for this type of game. Runs and looks great on the PC, and its amazing how bug-free it is considering its an obsidian title. Really enjoying it though it's a shame the coop is solely based around the host, although I can kind of see the difficulty they would have implementing diablo style coop into the game with how the story and characters are structured.

Sober

Played the demo again with a controller, much more fun that way. It's not a Diablo clone so if you don't head into the game with that mindset, it's fun all around. Hack and slash RPG with some loot, plus I think the way the abilities can be modified brings some nice depth to it.

I did a 2nd time with the demo as the Archon, and I met Lucas and got some Influence with him through dialogue. I checked the manual (up on Steam) but didn't mention anything of the sort. So, extra RP material or am I missing something here?

Gonna see if there's a sale in the coming weeks, since I have way too much right now to buy this right now.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Sinatar said:
People get paid to write this shit?

As far as I know from playing the demo, there is no explanation of exactly what the various stats do in the game. I may be mistaken, but I don't recall being able to highlight or hover over a stat and get an explanation of what it affects.

This may be explained in a game manual, though.

So, since we have some folks here with the full retail version, are you enjoying it better than the demo? Seemed like the opinions of the demo were pretty rough, while this thread has been pretty much solid praise.

Man, next Tuesday - this, Shadows of the Damned, FEAR 3. What a stupid week.

Sober

Zefah said:
As far as I know from playing the demo, there is no explanation of exactly what the various stats do in the game. I may be mistaken, but I don't recall being able to highlight or hover over a stat and get an explanation of what it affects.

This may be explained in a game manual, though.
Manual is sparse and doesn't mention anything at all. From what I could find though, agility supposedly improves crit rates and will helps with raw damage on your abilities, although that might just be because of the talents associated with them that take a %age of your will/agility total. Much more confusing are some other stats too.

V_Arnold

Use the ingame manual "Help Topics" for all the information you might want.
I am going to update the OP with all the important information that has NOT been released anywhere, not in the friggin previews (why there, right? right? :( ), nowhere. But since it is released now, we can rejoice :D

Raide

I like this game.

Unlike the first Dungeon Siege, you now have 4 very distinct classes. Each class has 2 different stances and this does tend to be based around group or solo combat. All of them have certain combat mechanics that you have to nail down to succeed. Best early advice is don't forget to dodge and roll. 2 characters teleport (Fire girl and beard dude), the other 2 roll across the floor (sword dude and gun boobs girl)

If you're wondering what the stats do, check the Help Topics. I am not sure if you have to find a weapon/item with that stat/ability on it before it appears in the Help Topic but it does mention what things like Bloodletting, Doom etc do.

V_Arnold

Oh, Katarina players.
Be sure to REALLY, REALLY, REALLY check out the Gunderic Mausoleum. There is something for your girl there.
Hidden.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Vlodril said:
There is an explanation of what each stat and each effect does in game on the menu options.

Awesome! Not a problem, then.

derFeef said:
Not having any oddities so far.

Here are two screenshots.

What are your specs? I'm reading the system requirements and they are pretty hefty for visuals like this. I mean, you need a 9800GT minimum for this? Not knocking your rig, but if this is set on max, I'm not impressed. I'll download the demo to see.

Didn't think much of the demo but I always preorder Obsidian games anyway so it didn't affect whether I got the game or not. The general impressions of it at this stage really are astoundingly good compared with that demo. Downloading it now, hopefully it can keep me busy until Torchlight 2.

derFeef

Cow Mengde said:
What are your specs? I'm reading the system requirements and they are pretty hefty for visuals like this. I mean, you need a 9800GT minimum for this? Not knocking your rig, but if this is set on max, I'm not impressed. I'll download the demo to see.
Yes this is max, sadly I can not force higher antialiasing, which would improve the quality a lot. Game looks very nice while playing but you can see faults in screens for sure. Having constant 60fps with a 6970, no problem here :)

V_Arnold said:
Oh, Katarina players.
Be sure to REALLY, REALLY, REALLY check out the Gunderic Mausoleum. There is something for your girl there.
Hidden.
What, where. Just finished that.

Jinko

Cow Mengde said:

Dungeon crawlers don't really lead the forefront of graphical excellence.

Diablo 3 doesn't look any better than this from the screens I have seen.

Hated this game on PC until I plugged a 360 pad in, now its actually quite fun.

V_Arnold

derFeef said:
What, where. Just finished that.
An orange chestpiece for Katarina in the catacombs, behind a wall, where there is a destructibla piece of it, and a hidden tomb behind.

Although the reward itself MIGHT be randomized. Anyways :D

Artadius

I'm going to come in here and say the same thing quite a few people have said already.

Absolutely hated this game and totally wrote it off trying to play it on a keyboard+mouse. Saw quite a few people saying their opinion completely flip-flopped when they played with a 360 controller so I did the same (thanks to my PS3 controller and motionjoy 360 emulation).

It's a decent game now that was obviously built from the ground up with controllers in mind and keyboard+mouse tacked on as an afterthought to make sure they are compatible with all PCs (at least that have the specs to run it).

I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't have a way to play with a controller on PC.

(Still just demo impressions though, not sure how rest of game is story/excitement wise)

Artadius said:
I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't have a way to play with a controller on PC.

I do too, and not just for this game. A big advantage of the platform is being able to use the best input method for whatever game you're playing, so anyone who doesn't have a controller for PC games these days is really missing out in my opinion.

Raide

Ability DPS: Ability DPS (Damage Per Second) is a measure of the average effectiveness of your hero's abilities. For Offensive Abilities, your Attack DPS is added to this value to determine the damage dealt, whereas Defensive Abilities generally rely only on your Ability DPS.

Will: More Will increases your hero’s Ability DPS.

Agility: Agility represents you hero's precision, and converts into Critical Hit Chance. However, the higher your hero's level. the tougher enemies become, so you will need more Agility for your hero to keep the same Critical Hit Chance.

Armour: Armour represents the amount of damage your hero mitigates with their gear. As their armour increases, they adsorb a higher percentage of damage from enemy attacks. But, as their level goes up, monsters becomes tough and a higher Armour value is required to have the same percentage of damage reduction

Attack: Attack is a general measure of your hero’s ability to damage enemies. As you equip weapons and armour that grant higher Attack values, your hero’s Attack DPS will go up.

Attack DPS: Attack DPS (damage per second) is a measure of the average damage dealt with your characters attack’s each second. It is an average value because the actual damage of your attacks will vary based upon the speed of the attack, and the number of targets it is capable of hitting. Additionally, when you use Special Abilities, you Attack DPS is added to your Ability DPS to determine the amount of damage dealt.

Block Value: Block Value represents your hero’s ability to deflect damage when blocking. Whenever a hero blocks, they will take no damage. But, they loose a percentage of Focus equal to the percentage of health that the damage would have inflicted. Block Value is subtracted from the incoming damage before the percentage is calculated, so having a higher Block Value means you hero can block attacks without loosing as much focus.

Chaos Statistics: There are several Chaos statistics you will find on armour and weapons. There statistics provide you with a chance to inflict an effect on your enemies. The chance to inflict the effect and the duration of the effect are always the same, but the higher the Chaos statistics is, the higher the damage of the inflicted effect.

Chaos: Bloodletting: Grants your attacks the high chance to inflict bleeding wounds on your enemies, dealing moderate damage over 6 seconds.

Chaos Fire: Grants a moderate chance to set your enemies on fire, dealing moderate damage over 6 seconds.

Chaos Ice: Grants your attacks a moderate chance to freeze your enemies, dealing low damage over 9 seconds.

Chaos Lightning: Grants you attacks a small chance to electrocute your enemies, dealing moderate damage over 2 seconds.

Chaos Poison: Grants your attacks a moderate chance to poison your enemies, dealing heavy damage over 9 seconds.

Chaos Vampire: Grants your attack a moderate chance to drain life from your enemies, returning that life to you.

Chaos Weakening: Grants your attacks a moderate chance to weaken your enemies, dealing low damage over 9 seconds and reducing the amount of damage they deal.

Chaos Withering: Grants your attacks a moderate chance to wither your enemies, dealing low damage over 9 seconds and increasing the amount of damage they take from subsequent attacks.​

Doom: Grants an additional amount of damage when you critically hit monsters. The amount fo damage is increased with slower attacks.

Momentum: Grants your hero additional Focus when attacking enemies. The amount of focus gained per point of Momentum is based on your level – as you become more powerful, you attacks require more Momentum to generate the same amount of Focus.

Retribution: Grants you hero a high chance to deal damage to enemies that attack them. The amount of damage dealt is equal to your characters total Retribution score. Note that Retribution will take effect even against blocked attacks.

Stagger: Chance to stun your enemies. The higher your level the more Stagger you will need to have the same chance to stun an enemy.

Stamina: Hit Points/Health amount.

Warding: Grats the hero a low chance to stun an enemy that attacks them. Again, more Warding is required as you level to have the same chance of stunning enemies. Warding will also take effect even against blocked attacks.

I am typing this from the 360 menu, so I will keep adding when I can. :D

Varna

Jesus. This game is good now? Completely disregarded because the impressions from the demo were really negative.

I'll wait for more impressions, but I am always happy to support Obsidian.

Miletius

I've got an evening co-op partner all lined up, so I'm really anticipating this now. If I can find an early copy I might just spring for it.

derFeef

V_Arnold said:
An orange chestpiece for Katarina in the catacombs, behind a wall, where there is a destructibla piece of it, and a hidden tomb behind.

Although the reward itself MIGHT be randomized. Anyways :D
I got something different, but it is pretty kickass too :)

Played it almost 5 hours straight, happens pretty rarely to me. Steam achievements seem broken though :/

edit: Just noticed that you can switch between local and Steam Cloud save, which is pretty sweet. Doubles the save slots!

Sober

jim-jam bongs said:
I do too, and not just for this game. A big advantage of the platform is being able to use the best input method for whatever game you're playing, so anyone who doesn't have a controller for PC games these days is really missing out in my opinion.
The only thing I find weird though is that the option to even customize kb/mouse controls didn't make it to the cutting room floor and have to be patched in. That being said, the controls are pretty reasonable for WASD, the only real quirk might be using abilities or going defensive.

Jinko said:
Dungeon crawlers don't really lead the forefront of graphical excellence.

It's not the graphics I'm really annoyed with, but rather how high the requirements are for a game with visuals like that. I barely meet them, yet I have games that look much better than that that runs fine on my rig. The gameplay better be freakin' amazing.

Labadal

Was supposed to play for an hour today. Ended up doing that... plus another three hours. Goddamnit.
love Reinhart. He's great in both close combat and long range. His long range mostly consists of magical traps wich are very useful. I've been spamming those versus bosses and they really help.

Loot does change character appearance more often on some characters. From what I can tell, the females change appearence more often.

I will also add(once again) that PC controls will be patched to allow keymapping. I hope that will help PC controls in the future.

What the hell, Steam is capping out at 200kb/s for me at the moment.

Sober said:
The only thing I find weird though is that the option to even customize kb/mouse controls didn't make it to the cutting room floor and have to be patched in. That being said, the controls are pretty reasonable for WASD, the only real quirk might be using abilities or going defensive.

Yeah that's pretty lame I reckon. Although, that said, it was the same with The Witcher 2. I might have to give it a go with a mouse once that patch comes, I generally do prefer it for crawlers.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is anyone playing the fire chick? I put about two hours into her, and I dunno... not really feeling it. I tried the mage as well before that, and wasn't feeling him either. Do her powers get better?

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Is it true that the multiplayer and single player characters do not carry over? Like each one is a separate character save?

Raide

FlyinJ said:
Is anyone playing the fire chick? I put about two hours into her, and I dunno... not really feeling it. I tried the mage as well before that, and wasn't feeling him either. Do her powers get better?

Leaning to draw them into the AoE fire spell and pick enemies off from range. She gets the power to summon a flame dog thing later too, which helps out. Same with Mage, set your clock trap early for groups and lead them in, then use you ranged attacks to kill them. You only have to use the thunder attacks if something gets close.

Shikamaru Ninja said:
Is it true that the multiplayer and single player characters do not carry over? Like each one is a separate character save?

Co-op is pretty crap. Basically there is a host, and other players join that host's game, and their characters are saved to the save file on the host. So you can only ever play with the same host, and can't take your character out to another game or even play them solo.

Raide

jim-jam bongs said:
Co-op is pretty crap. Basically there is a host, and other players join that host's game, and their characters are saved to the save file on the host. So you can only ever play with the same host, and can't take your character out to another game or even play them solo.

Yes, it is a little annoying.

I already have 1 of each class, so it means making a new one of each if I play online.

derFeef

Tryckser said:
Do yourself a favor and do the side quests, some pretty awesome boss fights in there + nice loot.
YES! Already had two of those. The
White Spider
kicked my ass pretty badly several times. Also loved the setup and how Katarina made fun of the poor guy.

Top Bottom