• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeons of Dredmor |OT| it's roguelike, it has graphics, it's funny and it's $4.49

Sanic

Are the "boss" monsters that you must kill as side quest objectives spawned in the world even if you haven't accepted the sidequest relating to them?

Wallach

Pandoracell said:
Are the "boss" monsters that you must kill as side quest objectives spawned in the world even if you haven't accepted the sidequest relating to them?

No. Those will spawn right after you except the quest in a random location. There are sometimes boss monsters (as well as generals and their packs) spawned as randoms on the floor though.

Sanic

Wallach said:
No. Those will spawn right after you except the quest in a random location. There are sometimes boss monsters (as well as generals and their packs) spawned as randoms on the floor though.

Good, thanks.

derFeef

Berksy said:
Nice video. I am playing on a netbook and can barely see 3-4 squares down the screen.

Also put your left hand on WASD :lol Shift+Click to quick loot. And space bar to wait!
I am a clicker in such games, I love my mouse :)

TP17

My best score to date on any difficulty, this one happens to be on going rogue, had cleared the monster zoo but left me with no food items and was a bit low on health going into the next room where I faced a couple of pumpkins and an eely and got countered on an attack which would have killed the eely, sigh.

cametall

This is my first roguelike game. I died in 10 minutes via Diggler >.>

I also died twice in the tutorial.

Great fun though, will be giving it another go later today.

Volodja

Herla Run 1: 60 Run 2: 1124 Run 3: 900 TOTAL: 2084
picklecannon Run 1: 88 Run 2: 380 Run 3: 16004 TOTAL: 16472
TP17 Run 1: 20 Run 2: 5588 Run 3: 3044 TOTAL: 8652
KittenMaster Run 1: 2932 Run 2: 356 Run 3: 332 TOTAL: 3620
jayTOH Run 1: 60 Run 2: 796 Run 3: 248 TOTAL: 1104
Bersky Run 1: 12788 Run 2: 316 Run 3: 5748 TOTAL: 18852
TheBez TOTAL: 228
Toma Run 1: 40 Run 2: 25720 Run 3: 88 TOTAL: 25848
Volodja Run 1: 108 Run 2: 243140 Run 3: 336 TOTAL: 243584
KuroNeeko Run 1: 184 Run 2: 492 Run 3: 212 TOTAL: 888
Wallach Run 1: 135872 Run 2: 159664 Run 3: 40 TOTAL: 295576
InertiaXr Run 1: 332 Run 2: 308 Run 3: 1560 TOTAL: 2200

Missing:
KrayzeeGloo
Hanzou

Wallach

Haha, I don't know if KrayzeeGloo will actually come back and report on this one... he wasn't having much luck last I talked to him.

Hanzou

Yeah sorry about not posting my scores. They were so bad I was ashamed topiary them. Total for all three runs were a few hundred so you guys can just ignor me hahah.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Yay, that makes the 3rd! Bronze!

Wallach doesnt count, he is the game itself. Which makes me 2nd! Silver!

If I'm really into this game, new the genre, want to play more games like it only a little deeper, and don't want anything to do with Dwarf Fortress, what would you recommend?

Wallach

autobzooty said:
If I'm really into this game, new the genre, want to play more games like it only a little deeper, and don't want anything to do with Dwarf Fortress, what would you recommend?

If you have a DS or Wii, try checking out one of the Shiren the Wanderer games. I never played the Wii one but the DS one was pretty awesome.

Volodja

autobzooty said:
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup.
And Shiren on DS in really really really really fun.

So, now that the contest is over (at least I think it is), is there any interest in doing what platypotamus proposed a few pages back, having the winner presenting a build and all the players run that for the next round?

KuroNeeko

I'd like to suggest that we set the time limit for this contest to either Saturday or Sunday. If we can keep the start / stop days the same, it should make things easier in the future.

Looks like this round's winner is going to be Wallach, so getting next week's build up sometime this weekend or even on Monday would be awesome!

We should probably decide ahead of time -

1) If the winner of the previous week can win two weeks in a row or if the person who set the weekly build is unable to take 1st.

2) If you're limited to only three runs, like this contest? Or can you try multiple times and just submit your best score?

Sanic

This is my first roguelike, but i'm really enjoying it. I hope to participate in the next contest, time permitting.

Volodja

KuroNeeko said:
I'd like to suggest that we set the time limit for this contest to either Saturday or Sunday. If we can keep the start / stop days the same, it should make things easier in the future.

Looks like this round's winner is going to be Wallach, so getting next week's build up sometime this weekend or even on Monday would be awesome!

We should probably decide ahead of time -

1) If the winner of the previous week can win two weeks in a row or if the person who set the weekly build is unable to take 1st.

2) If you're limited to only three runs, like this contest? Or can you try multiple times and just submit your best score?
I'd imagine a time limit of sorts to be a good choice. One week seems like a good starting point, we can always adjust if needed.
I also suggest we keep the three runs and still add them, it should reward consistency but at the same time if you have 2 bad runs but go further than the other players in the last one you will have a chance of winning thanks to the way the score grows faster and faster the deeper you go.
As for limitations on the winning player, I would keep that who wins decides the next run regardless of past wins, at least for now.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
KuroNeeko said:

1) Definitely not, so that we have at least a chance of winning when Wallach is making the skill setup :p

2)Lots of tries and numbers are always a mess. I am for "You got three tries, and upload a picture of your highest score on death" <- one for each participant instead of three, which still can make up for 2 bad runs on a third. Also meaning that people with 2 bad runs arent in a disadvantage at all since everyone is only using their best anyway.

Wallach

Toma said:
1) Definitely not, so that we have at least a chance of winning when Wallach is making the skill setup :p

2)Lots of tries and numbers are always a mess. I am for "You got three tries, and upload a picture of your highest score on death" <- one for each participant instead of three.

ALL SEVEN WEAPON SKILLS, GOOD LUCK HAFF FUN

No, but I think the winner should probably only make the skill set for the next group so it doesn't repeat any particular week. I kinda like the three runs combined setup, but either way works.

If I'm going first you guys will be getting some kind of mage build.

jayTOH

How about we do something where each week's winner chooses three or two skills to be permanent for the following challenge's skill set? And then the next winner chooses another two, then another two for the final skill set. The champ would then be decided from that build. It'd drag the challenge out to a full month (if we limit each challenge to a week), but it'd reward the winner while giving the losers a fighting chance for the next challenge.

Wallach

jayTOH said:
How about we do something where each week's winner chooses three or two skills to be permanent for the following challenge's skill set? And then the next winner chooses another two, then another two for the final skill set. The champ would then be decided from that build. It'd drag the challenge out to a full month (if we limit each challenge to a week), but it'd reward the winner while giving the losers a fighting chance for the next challenge.

I'd personally rather the experience stay fresh between different runs. The competition part should be secondary.

LuchaShaq

Banned
For these scores, are people just hitting random (on hard), or is there a set list for each week? Bought the game, and this seems like a fun way to hop in.

KuroNeeko

Toma said:
2)Lots of tries and numbers are always a mess. I am for "You got three tries, and upload a picture of your highest score on death" <- one for each participant instead of three, which still can make up for 2 bad runs on a third. Also meaning that people with 2 bad runs arent in a disadvantage at all since everyone is only using their best anyway.

Hmm, this sounds pretty good actually. You only have to upload one screenshot and it's a bit more forgiving so you don't get all depressed when your first room has an orgy of Batties and Diggles.

Still, either one is fine. Heck, we could even let that week's winner choose the win condition. Wallach could say, "Mage Build (skills) - three runs, total score" or "Mage Build (skills) - three runs - best run only" or whatever.

Also, I'd like to throw out the possibility that you don't need to need to choose all seven skills. You could even set a challenge for players to build something around a set of 1-6 skills like "build me something with throwing mastery, tinkering, and astrology - you can't have any other skilled leveled higher than those three" or something.

Lots of different options;D

Wallach - you think you'll have something ready for this weekend or by Monday?

Wallach

KuroNeeko said:
Hmm, this sounds pretty good actually. You only have to upload one screenshot and it's a bit more forgiving so you don't get all depressed when your first room has an orgy of Batties and Diggles.

Still, either one is fine. Heck, we could even let that week's winner choose the win condition. Wallach could say, "Mage Build (skills) - three runs, total score" or "Mage Build (skills) - three runs - best run only" or whatever.

Also, I'd like to throw out the possibility that you don't need to need to choose all seven skills. You could even set a challenge for players to build something around a set of 1-6 skills like "build me something with throwing mastery, tinkering, and astrology - you can't have any other skilled leveled higher than those three" or something.

Lots of different options;D

Wallach - you think you'll have something ready for this weekend or by Monday?

Suuuuuure, but we never heard from KrayzeeGloo I guess?

Trouble

Banned
Gaaah! Fuck. I spent like an hour playing, was just about finished clearing the second level and the game crashed. My character was starting to get pretty bad ass, too. I'm down with permadeath, but losing an entire floor of progress because of a crash is bullshit. :-(

Whatever the setup will be, I'll definitely be in.

And I agree with the idea of trying three times but submitting only the best score since scores seem very lopsided anyway.

And if we allow players that played less than three times to submit a score that they personally deem good enough, then that'd make the next contest go by faster too.

Toma

KittenMaster said:
Whatever the setup will be, I'll definitely be in.

And I agree with the idea of trying three times but submitting only the best score since scores seem very lopsided anyway.

And if we allow players that played less than three times to submit a score that they personally deem good enough, then that'd make the next contest go by faster too.

Yup, that was the idea.

@Wallach:
And I dont think Krayzeegloo will beat your score anyway :p
So just post up your setting today or tomorrow and we'll run with that until next weekend. He can still post his old scores to update the list if he wants, and participate in the new contest.

Wired

I find it impossible that someone hasn't noticed this bug before but since I found it somewhat amusing I thought I'd share. You know how items gets moved around if you leave them in the different crafting tools, yeah? Well if something happens to end up in the Horadric cube this way whatever it is gets duplicated every time you stick something into it.

EDIT: Nvm turns out what I was posting was two days old.

I find it impossible that someone hasn't noticed this bug before but since I found it somewhat amusing I thought I'd share. You know how items gets moved around if you leave them in the different crafting tools, yeah? Well if something happens to end up in the Horadric cube this way whatever it is gets duplicated every time you stick something into it.
Secondary inventories are buggy in general, so this doesn't surprise me. Though it's never happened to me before.

GavinGT

Banned
Is there some reason I shouldn't be mashing the space bar to recover my health/mana? Like, do enemies get tougher the more turns I waste? It just feels cheap.

I don't believe so. You can do that in any roguelike, and in DoD a lot of times a single enemy can come, and a single hit from it usually forces you to wait even longer to heal.

Volodja

KittenMaster said:
I don't believe so. You can do that in any roguelike, and in DoD a lot of times a single enemy can come, and a single hit from it usually forces you to wait even longer to heal.
Actually the hunger system makes something like this not that abusable in most roguelikes and makes it vital for you to keep moving.
This game doesn't have that so the only penality I can see is maybe a slight increase of enemies in the floor?
But it only happened to me once and it wasn't much of a punishment. If you wanted you could keep on staying on floor 1 till you hit level 15 killing the occasional spawning monsters.

GavinGT

Banned
KittenMaster said:

Not for me. I can go back and forth between two warps, or use stairs to completely escape them. Even when enemies do come, I'm able to dispatch them and build health between kills until I'm full. I am playing on the default difficulty, though.

Toma

*Eagerly awaiting Wallachs skill set for the next part of the competition*

Joe Molotov

GavinGT said:
Not for me. I can go back and forth between two warps, or use stairs to completely escape them. Even when enemies do come, I'm able to dispatch them and build health between kills until I'm full. I am playing on the default difficulty, though.

Well, when you're playing on Going Rogue, you need every advantage you can get. Resting lets you save your food until you really need it.

It's also harder to fully restore your health by waiting since the steps needed to take per 1 HP are higher and enemies come at you much more frequently.

Wallach

Alright guys, the new contest begins... and here are your tools:

Wand Lore
Alchemy
Fleshsmithing
Necronomiconomics
Blood Mage
Mage Training
Ley Walker

Here's the skinny - you get three tries to do something awesome. Your character names should be "(Forum Name) I/II/II" depending on what attempt you are on. Take a screenshot of every RIP screen and post the one that gets the highest score here for us to gaze upon with adoration - or openly mock you for winding up on a Diggles Gone Wild DVD.

This is a good build! I want to see dead Dredmors!

Can anyone join? I wasn't part of the last contest because I was too busy with work... would love to jump into this one if I can. I'll probably start up tonight. Still Going Rogue, right?

TP17

Yeah anyone can join, I think we have until next weekend before a new skill set will be released.

Just started my first run, haven't used a lot of these skills before so I've just been looking at the spells and skill trees so far. Going to fail horrendously I fear.

Volodja

Are we gonna set up a contestant list so that we can cut the downtime between contest short in case we all submit our results long before the deadline?

And that build looks brutal, the few times I've gone necro/flesh have been a really slow burner.
Well, to be fair, wand lore will help a lot with it.
Do you know if the tree is somehow broken aside from the first level? I recall reading something along the lines of the burn cost not decreasing with the higher levels.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Wallach said:
Alright guys, the new contest begins... and here are your tools:

Wand Lore
Alchemy
Fleshsmithing
Necronomiconomics
Blood Mage
Mage Training
Ley Walker

Here's the skinny - you get three tries to do something awesome. Your character names should be "(Forum Name) I/II/II" depending on what attempt you are on. Take a screenshot of every RIP screen and post the one that gets the highest score here for us to gaze upon with adoration - or openly mock you for winding up on a Diggles Gone Wild DVD.

This is a good build! I want to see dead Dredmors!

On "Going Rogue correct?

With wand lore if you get a couple of good wands to cycle between early you should be golden. It seemed like a pretty powerful skill when I wasd messing with... tho, haven't played on Going Rogue

TP17

Hmm trying to understand the wand entropy + burn rate, thought I had it but then my wand of laser I picked up burnt out despite not reaching 100 entropy which I presumed was the limit, is 100 right? I also used it two moves in a row which may have made an impact?

Wallach

TP17 said:
Hmm trying to understand the wand entropy + burn rate, thought I had it but then my wand of laser I picked up burnt out despite not reaching 100 entropy which I presumed was the limit, is 100 right? I also used it two moves in a row which may have made an impact?

Entropy is the % chance that the wand will burn out on the next use.

Burn rate is how much the Entropy of the wand will increase with each successful use of the wand.

TP17

Wallach said:
Entropy is the % chance that the wand will burn out on the next use.

Burn rate is how much the Entropy of the wand will increase with each successful use of the wand.

Aha, right, I was thinking about it all wrong. Thanks!

Top Bottom