• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dust 514 |OT| You don't need to pay to win

The only reasons you should be crouching is for better accuracy with the forge gun or sniper rifle. Otherwise, it's only good for making you an easy slow target.

Epcott

The only reasons you should be crouching is for better accuracy with the forge gun or sniper rifle. Otherwise, it's only good for making you an easy slow target.

I figured as much. Just needed to crouch a few times for better cover in a few skirmishes.

So I have never played this despite having access to the beta for about half a year. It seems the Sony gods want me to play this as I received a code for a Mercenary pack which apparently is 20.00USD on PSN. I'm tempted to sell it off or trade it as I don't see myself playing this game. I stopped played Defiance after a week or so. Maybe I'm not a MMORPG kind of person

mbmonk

I decided to try out the game with mouse & keyboard, and the game is pretty good using that input method.

Some important things to do if you want to use m&k:

1) Under the m&k tab under setting, make sure to scroll to the bottom of the list and enable Tool Tips. That will give you 95% of the on screen prompts in m&k buttons instead of SixAxis buttons. If you want to switch back to the SixAxis you will have to change this setting back to "off" or all the prompts will stay in m&k terms.

2) Turn off "Aim Assist" under the controller settings. Otherwise, the game's aiming algorithm will constantly be pulling on your cross hairs and throwing off your aim.

3) If you want invert your mouse, you actually have to do that under the controller section of settings.

4) Having a mouse that has hardware adjustable DPI might prove helpful. At the default DPI of my mouse and 100 sensitivity the game settings, the left to right viewing still felt slow. So being able to adjust mouse DPI higher might help if you face a similar problem.

I enjoyed my first night with the game. I will play it a bit more and see how it goes.

So I have never played this despite having access to the beta for about half a year. It seems the Sony gods want me to play this as I received a code for a Mercenary pack which apparently is 20.00USD on PSN. I'm tempted to sell it off or trade it as I don't see myself playing this game. I stopped played Defiance after a week or so. Maybe I'm not a MMORPG kind of person
Well I'd strongly suggest you give it a go. You don't have to use your Mercenary Pack right away, so try it out for a bit for free and see if it's something you could really get into. If not, I'd gladly accept your code (as I'm sure everyone else here would too!)

Mbmonk, glad to see you are liking the keyboard and mouse controls. I know there are a few people upset that the mouse aiming doesn't feel quite like a made-for-PC shooter. I haven't actually tried it myself as I'm comfortable with a DS3, but may give it a go sometime.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
It's pretty telling when you put in more work in an OP than CCP does in making a shooter...

Played the beta was pretty horribad. People keep saying to try the "uprising" update, but from what every new player that has played that update says it doesn't fix my complaints.

It's pretty telling when you put in more work in an OP than CCP does in making a shooter...

Played the beta was pretty horribad. People keep saying to try the "uprising" update, but from what every new player that has played that update says it doesn't fix my complaints.
I put in maybe an hour to make this OP. Do you honestly think CCP hasn't put in that much effort? I get that you don't mean literally and you're just trying to make a point, but come on. So the game isn't for you? That's fine, we all have different tastes. Clearly a lot of people do like it however.

androvsky

There's been a few people that dumped all over the beta, and even a couple that dumped over the Uprising update that are enjoying the game now. Something was definitely off with aiming in Uprising that's apparently now fixed. So what are your specific complaints? Still gotta earn your equipment, people take more than a couple hits to take down, stuff like that's not going to change.

I say apparently because what do I know about aiming in a console FPS, they all play like crap to me. ;) *pines for the old days of Quake 2 multiplayer*

Dart

After the Uprising Update the game ran noticeably better for me, my biggest issue in the beta was lag and aiming. I have been playing Dust since then, it really is a fantastic shooter especially since it is F2P & I like how the microtransaction isn't forced on me.

Gaf:Dart(I became a Gaf member yesterday!)
PSN:GAM3R_16
Dust:Edge Solis

btw this is a very informative OT, thanks Seventy_X_Seven!

KPJZKC

Has anybody set up a GAF corp? Would be great to conquer our own little place (and then lose it as we're viciously mauled as interest in the game wanes)

You can get matched against people using Mouse & Keyboard.....

I'd say yes.
You don't need M&Kb to compete. I'm doing perfectly fine with a controller, maintaining a kdr of over 6 and I'm holding my own in planetary conquest against some of the best the game has to offer.

Akainu

sUmwLWh.jpg
So light and heavy suits for every race in the future?
Minmatar Heavy Machine Gun - The big gun
This is weird. So the heavy machine gun is a minmatar weapon that can only be used by amarr heavys (for now anyway?)? Same with the forge gun.

You don't need M&Kb to compete. I'm doing perfectly fine with a controller, maintaining a kdr of over 6 and I'm holding my own in planetary conquest against some of the best the game has to offer.

How are you maintaining a K/D like that? What equipment are you using most of the time?

How are you maintaining a K/D like that? What equipment are you using most of the time?
Right now I can afford to run proto every game, so I stack the proto Assault Caldari suit with 4 complex shield extenders in the high slots, then an armour plate, reps and biotics in the low slots. Weapon is just advanced Assault Scrambler (rather than proto) to keep the costs down. I also have the basic Toxin SMG as a sidearm. I did use the Minmatar medium frame before the respec, but decided to change because the shield recharge was too slow.

You don't need a prototype dropsuit to do this well; with just an advanced medium frame suit I can usually be as good. You only need a few hundred thousand SP to spec into this as well. Prototype just provides a small extra edge, but with a lot higher cost. Also on alts with just standard gear I can keep a kdr of over 4 by playing smart. On the crazy side of things, I made an alt a few days ago focusing just on LAVs and have a kdr of almost 20.

GAF: Patrickv27
PSN/SEN: Patrickv27
Dust: Patrickv27

Just downloaded earlier. Of course downloading through ps store takes awhile, then there's a 30mb update after installation, I thought I could play after that then there's another update for the game client aroud 1.3gb. :| Then after that it's a breeze.

Marketplace is quite cluttered for me and confuses me. But other than that it's an okay experience. Looking forward for future updates.

Right now I can afford to run proto every game, so I stack the proto Assault Caldari suit with 4 complex shield extenders in the high slots, then an armour plate, reps and biotics in the low slots. Weapon is just advanced Assault Scrambler (rather than proto) to keep the costs down. I also have the basic Toxin SMG as a sidearm. I did use the Minmatar medium frame before the respec, but decided to change because the shield recharge was too slow.

You don't need a prototype dropsuit to do this well; with just an advanced medium frame suit I can usually be as good. You only need a few hundred thousand SP to spec into this as well. Prototype just provides a small extra edge, but with a lot higher cost. Also on alts with just standard gear I can keep a kdr of over 4 by playing smart. On the crazy side of things, I made an alt a few days ago focusing just on LAVs and have a kdr of almost 20.

Good to know. Thanks for the response. I never have anybody to play Dust with, so I'm always left kind of fending for myself. Since it's a nuisance to set up my microphone, I just leave it upstairs with my 360/PC and then I'm basically unable to ask questions about the game in lobbies and during the game. Because of all that, it's been difficult for me to grasp what equipment to prioritize and how to spec out my character.

Good to know. Thanks for the response. I never have anybody to play Dust with, so I'm always left kind of fending for myself. Since it's a nuisance to set up my microphone, I just leave it upstairs with my 360/PC and then I'm basically unable to ask questions about the game in lobbies and during the game. Because of all that, it's been difficult for me to grasp what equipment to prioritize and how to spec out my character.
The thing about Dust is that there's no one fitting or loadout which is the best or the right one to use, there are essentially dozens of viable ways to play depending on the circumstances and what role you want to fulfill. Generally I think it's best to experiment and work out what's best for you.

Anyway, if I had to recommend one item to aim for then it would be 'Complex Shield Extenders'. If you favour shield then these can give a very big boost in survivability and you should be skilling into them long before you consider getting a prototype dropsuit.

sono

Great OT!

This game has taken a while to come to fruition, but its seems to have been worth the wait.

It would be helpful if there was a begginers planet where you can learn not to die really fast

shawnhi

I was playing for a few weeks there, but as soon as I found my niche (breach forge gun + spam LAV, or charge sniper rifle) and got my skills up, it started getting too easy and there was not much more to look forward to. Not into the whole corp stuff, couldn't care less really. Waiting for some new updates and might go back to it.

So light and heavy suits for every race in the future?

This is weird. So the heavy machine gun is a minmatar weapon that can only be used by amarr heavys (for now anyway?)? Same with the forge gun.
The way the suits work is every race has a light, medium, and heavy and various specializations of those suits within each size (like Assault and Logistics for medium). Of course it's not all there yet and more will come.

As far as the weaponry goes, there are categories of weapons. For example one category is rifles, and then each race has it's take on that category (Gallente with the Plasma Assault Rifle, Amarr with the Scrambler Rifle, Caldari with the not-yet-released Rail Rifle, and Minmatar with the not-yet-released Combat Rifle). For heavy weapons, the two big categories currently are anti-infantry and anti-armor. The HMG is the Minmatar's anti-infantry, we'll have to wait for the others
rumor has it Amarr's will be a giant flame thrower.
The forge gun is Caldari's anti-armor. I do agree it's a bit weird that our choices in heavy suits and heavy weaponry is extremely limited, I hope that's expanded upon in the next udpate.

What's going on with the servers? They've been down every single time I've tried to connect and I can't load the official site either.

Edit: I should have read the thread before posting. Hopefully the DDoS attack ends sooner rather than later.

What's going on with the servers? They've been down every single time I've tried to connect and I can't load the official site either.

At 02:05 GMT June 2nd, CCP became aware of a significant and sustained distributed denial-of-service attack (DDoS) against the Tranquility cluster (which houses EVE Online and DUST 514) and web servers.

Our policy in such cases is to mobilize a taskforce of internal and external experts to evaluate the situation. At 03:07 GMT, that group concluded that our best course of action was to go completely offline while we put in place mitigation plans.

While we initially reopened EVE Online and DUST 514, we have since re-evaluated. With the highest sense of precaution we have taken Tranquility and associated websites back down for further investigation and an exhaustive scan of our entire infrastructure. We will update you more frequently via our Twitter feed (www.twitter.com/eveonline), however, an extended service interruption of several hours is expected as this process should not be rushed.
https://www.facebook.com/eveonline/posts/10151629888734394

To win. I haven't spent a dime yet and have had games with more than 8 kills and even some in which I went 18 and 2. The last update did wonders and I'm enjoying the game very much. Deep customization system hasme still a llittle baffled but I'm getting there.

Great op by the way.

KPJZKC

Just wondering, would anyone be interested in joining a new corp? I'm looking forward to seeing how the planetary conquest works!

While true, this is not relevant. The point is about having an 'advantage' not about 'competing', I'm sure a really good player using his feet could beat a really bad player using a mouse/keyboard setup. However, between two equally skilled players, having a mouse and keyboard is definitely an advantage.

I'm sure it's possible to kill fully prototyped geared players in militia gear. Prototype geared players still have an advantage though.

There is going to be some compensation to make up for the outage, in case anyone was concerned with their skill point boosters or anything.

Zabojnik

How does planetary conquest work, exactly? What are the benefits for Dust 514 players, I mean. The more sectors / planets you 'own', the more clones you own and the more clones your corporation/squad can take into battle, when attacked by another corporation?

How does planetary conquest work, exactly? What are the benefits for Dust 514 players, I mean. The more sectors / planets you 'own', the more clones you own and the more clones your corporation/squad can take into battle, when attacked by another corporation?
The main gameplay reason is money; whenever a district generates more clones than it can hold, these are exchanged into ISK which goes into the corp wallet. This is 8-10 million ISK per district, per day depending on the district. Districts also give Planetary Interaction bonuses on the EVE side for pilots in your corp or alliance.

For the individual soldier, fighting in the battles can be well worth the reward. Victors are given an ISK biomass value of the clones destroyed, which is divided between all the layers on their team. In the battles I've played, ISK payouts have been in the range of 1-2 million. You also gain salvage based the equipment that was used by the enemy team, including AURUM items.

Zabojnik

The main gameplay reason is money; whenever a district generates more clones than it can hold, these are exchanged into ISK which goes into the corp wallet. This is 8-10 million ISK per district, per day depending on the district. Districts also give Planetary Interaction bonuses on the EVE side for pilots in your corp or alliance.

For the individual soldier, fighting in the battles can be well worth the reward. Victors are given an ISK biomass value of the clones destroyed, which is divided between all the layers on their team. In the battles I've played, ISK payouts have been in the range of 1-2 million. You also gain salvage based the equipment that was used by the enemy team, including AURUM items.

I see. So what I've written above is completely wrong? Both sides always start with the same number of clones?

Anybody know some ways I can get in on planetary conquest? Anyone got hook-ups?

@OG: Thanks for the rec on complex shield extenders. I requested a respec, so hopefully I'll be able to use SP from the things I barely use (mass drivers) for dropsuit efficiency. Running 1 complex shield extender severely boosted my survivability and allowed me to get more kills in firefights as a result. I can't imagine being spec'd out to run dual complex extenders.

Top Bottom