• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 7 |OT| - GODDAMIT NOT THIS SHIT AGAIN!

Marvie_3

Banned
Decided to take a break from Conquest mode and play some Story mode. I love how they've completely revamped the story mode.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
One thing that's really getting to me about DW7 is the lack of incentive it offers, compared to previous titles. It just feels like there's little REASON to play. I mean sure, you can grind a character up to max stats or whatever, but why? In the older games, there were weapons and items you could only unlock by fulfilling certain requirements in battle, or playing on higher difficulties. Therefore giving a purpose to the compulsive leveling that we as DW players have come to love. But there's none of that in DW7. Hell, playing on higher difficulties doesn't even net you more skill points. It's just...sorta disappointing, honestly. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy the game, at least enough to play through all the stories and clear out the Conquest map. I just wish there were more to do, I guess. Give me a REASON to take a fresh character and grind up their stats and get their best weapon.

Playing DW7 so much has actually made me start to think about picking up the entire DW5 trilogy (DW5/Empires/XL) once GameStop's "Buy 2 Get 2" sale on PS2/GC/XBox games kicks in on the 18th. I really haven't played that much DW5, so it'd feel mostly new to me anyway.

Or I could just try being patient and hold out for DW Gundam 3 this summer. :lol

Marvie_3

Banned
Seraphis Cain said:
One thing that's really getting to me about DW7 is the lack of incentive it offers, compared to previous titles. It just feels like there's little REASON to play. I mean sure, you can grind a character up to max stats or whatever, but why? In the older games, there were weapons and items you could only unlock by fulfilling certain requirements in battle, or playing on higher difficulties. Therefore giving a purpose to the compulsive leveling that we as DW players have come to love. But there's none of that in DW7. Hell, playing on higher difficulties doesn't even net you more skill points. It's just...sorta disappointing, honestly. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy the game, at least enough to play through all the stories and clear out the Conquest map. I just wish there were more to do, I guess. Give me a REASON to take a fresh character and grind up their stats and get their best weapon.

Playing DW7 so much has actually made me start to think about picking up the entire DW5 trilogy (DW5/Empires/XL) once GameStop's "Buy 2 Get 2" sale on PS2/GC/XBox games kicks in on the 18th. I really haven't played that much DW5, so it'd feel mostly new to me anyway.

Or I could just try being patient and hold out for DW Gundam 3 this summer. :lol
Wait......really??

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I finished Shu story last night. This feels like a natural progression from V. I like that new weapons can be found from defeated officers and the sheer variety. Doesn't seem to be much in the way of alternate costumes but nothing is perfect.

Skill points really aren't a big deal.
I can max out skills for characters in a short amount of time thanks to the +skillpoint seals.

The more important thing is that the difficulty setting affects the ATK/DEF upgrades. A ten star conquest stage on the chaos setting is bound to produce a ton of +8 bonuses. Also as per usual with the series the harder settings are a lot more fun.

Marvie_3

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Skill points really aren't a big deal.
I can max out skills for characters in a short amount of time thanks to the +skillpoint seals.

The more important thing is that the difficulty setting affects the ATK/DEF upgrades. A ten star conquest stage on the chaos setting is bound to produce a ton of +8 bonuses. Also as per usual with the series the harder settings are a lot more fun.
Ok good. I got skill points mixed up. Good to know the higher difficulties still reward you with more stat points.

RedSwirl

Actually, I haven't played a single one of these games. If I was gonna rent one, which would be best? If I just checked out the latest one, PS3 or 360?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
RedSwirl said:
Actually, I haven't played a single one of these games. If I was gonna rent one, which would be best? If I just checked out the latest one, PS3 or 360?

Yeah, if it's your first, I'd just go ahead and check out DW7. It'll give you a good idea of what the series is all about without overwhelming you.

As for platform, I'm pretty sure they're mostly identical, but go with the PS3 version since it was the lead development platform.

Haeleos

RedSwirl said:

I would check out Dynasty Warriors 7 first, and if you enjoyed that game, I'd then check out Samurai Warriors 2 after that. I feel DW7 is a much more presentable game to those who haven't played one before, but I still feel SW2 trumps it in replay value, balance and character customization and progression, which is what matters in the long run to me with this series.

Story mode is really REALLY cool. I love the way they did Sun Ce's battle against Yu Ji in this one.

One thing I feel is kind of missing, and maybe this is because i just came from empires, which takes this to an extreme, is the base capturing... It's not really "there". Sure it happens sometimes, but the whole dynamic of capturing spawn points and bases to prevent reinforcements and the like, as a regular part of all stages, is kind of gone. I'm not sure I like that. Are there more traditional stages deeper into conquest mode?

I'm loving the story mode right now. They take brief moments from the previous games and turn them into these awesome levels. Stuff like Zhang Fei protecting the bridge is handled so much better then any of the previous games, it makes the story of the game actually interesting. It does have some drawbacks though. Chi Bi was a scripted cakewalk, which is crazy since normally it's this epic battle that forces you to multitask and plan your way around the map for the attack to succeed. Instead it's been turned into a short turret mission. It also sucks to invest a bunch of skill points into a character, only to have that be the only level they're in.
Fucking Pang Tong

Xater

ObnoxiousZebra said:
Just ordered this, can't wait for it to arrive! Damn Koei delaying it two weeks in Australia.

I also decided to get it after all. Now the waiting game begins for it to arrive...

Kaizer

Banned
Not sure if I'm liking Conquest mode so much. I've been playing Story Mode for the past week and it's been great, but I'm totally hating these bite-size 4 minute missions in Conquest Mode. Some of the Legendary Battles and higher difficulties alleviate this, but for the most part, I'm disappointed.

Do the stages in Conquest Mode ever get more "complex" or similar to main story battles? Because I'm getting tired of killing 40-60 foot soldiers and slaying an enemy general within a few seconds.

MrDaravon

Oh my fucking GOD Ma Dai is the most piece of shit character in any Dynasty Warriors game EVER. After going through all 4 Kingdom modes and a good 30-40% of Conquest without dying, I have now died on his fucking Legendary battles multiple times. Even giving him a 7/8th tier weapon from another class he is still shit and dies in 1 enemy musou, and can't even grind him up to not be shitty because I can't fucking use him anywhere until I beat this battle with him. I am seriously about to break a fucking controller, this is god damn ridiculous.

Marvie_3

Banned
SailorDaravon said:
Oh my fucking GOD Ma Dai is the most piece of shit character in any Dynasty Warriors game EVER. After going through all 4 Kingdom modes and a good 30-40% of Conquest without dying, I have now died on his fucking Legendary battles multiple times. Even giving him a 7/8th tier weapon from another class he is still shit and dies in 1 enemy musou, and can't even grind him up to not be shitty because I can't fucking use him anywhere until I beat this battle with him. I am seriously about to break a fucking controller, this is god damn ridiculous.
Yeah he's awful.

Vhalyar

SailorDaravon said:
I did his legendary battles on Normal without a single issue, so, huh, maybe put it on easy?

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Gosh who the heck approved that mess?
The logo is KT but they go by the name Tecmo Koei. Drives me bonkers.
The company is called Koei Tecmo in JP/Asian regions, and called Tecmo Koei everywhere else in the world. The logo follows the Japanese naming.

It's absolutely bonkers.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Die Squirrel Die said:
That's a shame, I was looking forward to playing as him, what with his awesome hat and giant calligraphy brush.

I think they officially ran out of weapons when they came up with that one...

It also makes no sense because you would think paint brush = smart. However, he's a member of the Ma family and they're not exactly known for their intelligence or political abilities in ROTK.

Vhalyar

wienke said:
It also makes no sense because you would think paint brush = smart. However, he's a member of the Ma family and they're not exactly known for their intelligence or political abilities in ROTK.
I see a paint brush I think artist, nothing about intelligence :p

mintylurb

I finally got around to playing it for a few hours this past weekend. Man.. I can't believe how terrible the framerate is.. It's especially noticeable playing it right after dw6 empires, gundang warriors 2.

Even fist of the north star runs smoother and that runs at 30fps with frame drops! Gahh..maybe koei can patch it or something..;/

I find it so strange whenever I see people complain like that about the framerate. I've played over 150 hours of the game between Japanese and English releases and never once had any framerate issues.

AdawgDaFAB said:
I find it so strange whenever I see people complain like that about the framerate. I've played over 150 hours of the game between Japanese and English releases and never once had any framerate issues.

It's not like it's unplayable or anything, far from it, it's just jarring to come from the silky smooth predecessors to something that can't keep itself consistently above 30.

Shadow780

pancakesandsex said:
It's not like it's unplayable or anything, far from it, it's just jarring to come from the silky smooth predecessors to something that can't keep itself consistently above 30.

Yeah to those that are sensitive, the abrupt change in frame rate can be pretty strenuous.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
My review of DW7 is up
http://www.the-nextlevel.com/review/ps3/dynasty-warriors-7/

Basically it's great, fantastic even, could be best in the series. But all those damned technical issues(especially the framerate)...

I don't get why people are saying they are separated after an online game. I was presented with a prompt asking if I wanted to continue playing with the same person and then picked another level. Do you only get that during a friend game?

MoxManiac

pancakesandsex said:
I don't get why people are saying they are separated after an online game. I was presented with a prompt asking if I wanted to continue playing with the same person and then picked another level. Do you only get that during a friend game?

Yeah. If you play with a random player it's wham bam thank you ma'am.

Masamuna

Almost finished with Story mode and I absolutely love the game. Also haven't scene a single framerate problem yet after about 15 hours, and i'm usually a bit sensitive to it.

On paper the game is a bit homogenized since EX/Musou's are the only thing character unique (and I guess weapon compatibility) but for some reason it doesn't bother me at all which is surprising since the last game I played in the genre (basara 3) made characters as unique as possible. Hopefully i'm not tired of it since story mode only gives you a taste of each character which makes things fresh in the long run.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Marvie_3 said:
The night stages are really starting to get on my nerves. It's so damn dark and it makes it hard to see anything.

I hate them too.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Went to the store with the intention of buying a 3DS, and instead walked out with this game.

Initially the framedrops gave me serious buyers remorse. All of the warnings didn't faze me much, but goddamn that tutorial section was some embarrassing shit. A tiny arena with hardly that many soldiers(sometimes none) and it felt like my 360 was being pushed to its knees. Often to the point that my button inputs felt completely out of sync with the visual lag....in the tutorial stage. Just terrible. As I play the actual game I am conditioning to the fluctuations, but its still far from ideal. GAF is right, Koei should be shamed(is it as bad on PS3?).

Outside of that, the game itself is ok. I'm not at all enjoying this entries brand of character progression. The weapon system isn't as awkward as I imagined, but I'm finding myself merely switching equipment for the sake of unlocking new seals consistently rather than paying mind to the tactical or combat benefits(stars? Pshaw! that lame fan has a seal I haven't earned yet.)

I'm saddened the game has also reverted to the 'skill' bonuses over the return of items/loot. Not a big deal, but I much prefer 'Item Get!' than 'Attack +x!'. Again, meh. This also presumes that difficulty selection is a worthless proposition that only exists for personal pride. I loved the allure of Chaos difficulty in the hopes of earning supreme loot for my heroes in other past entries. I do appreciate that weapon unlocks ARE persistent at least, I abhor it when certain 'Warriors' games adhere to resetting all the moment I switch heroes.

Map gimmicks are great so far, and the Conquest mode is a novel touch. The story mode also may be the most successful rendition in the franchise. I appreciate the constant character swap based on battle scenarios as well as the use of instant story cuts. Again, it all comes down to weapons, so I still find myself playing the 'weapon' game moreso than tending to each heroes unique abilities, but I can only blame my OCD tendencies.

Truly pissed that Sam War 3 XL PS3 won't be arriving here(the game I most want). Troy and that Fist of the North Star game are possibly slightly to blame, Nintendo as well. Much like how DW5 never got a localized Xbox 360 port way back, Koei refuses to give us the best in their library, leaving me to settle for mere adequate games, or worse.

Top Bottom