• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 7 |OT| - GODDAMIT NOT THIS SHIT AGAIN!

Bay Maximus said:
Haven't played DW in quite a bit. Can you finally shoot arrows while riding a horse? Is the netcode any good?

- If you use a bow / crossbow weapon you can xD. However, you probably mean if you can press R1 to shoot arrows while on a horse now. Well, that isn't in the game anymore. R1 now switches between your 2 equipped weapons.

- I've heard bad things about the netcode, but I can't play online to confirm it myself.

MoxManiac

wienke said:
Really? I mean the PS2 games would have crazy slowdown if you activated your special attack in a large crowd. It seriously lagged the game out.

What I was saying is that I would prefer a steady 30 fps under any circumstance versus 60 fps with huge system slowdown happening from time to time.

edit: Just started playing, this game is pretty awesome. I can definitely feel the upgrades that they've incorporated since DW6. It's pretty epic how you can fight a "phase" of a battle that previously used to be it's own map and then after viewing a very short cut scene it just opens up into the next phase! Conquest mode looks pretty robust as well. I'm really interested in seeing how they handle the "Jin" era stuff. It'll probably kinda sadden me since I'm such a Shu fanboy (like Koei).

Slowdown != frame drops

The earlier DW games were 60fps locked. When the action became too hectic, the game would still render at 60fps, but slow down, like you pointed out. (and other things, like disappearing soldiers)

DW7 never slows down. Ever. It drops frames. That's the difference. DW7 doesn't have a locked fps like the earlier games, so when it gets too hectic, instead of slowdown, it skips frames.

Xater

shaowebb said:
Anyone notice how people hate dynasty warriors games until you replace the cast with a licensed list of characters or something?

Fist of the Northstar, Gundam...hell even Sengoku is a Dynasty Warriors clone that was originally released as Devil Kings over here in the states. Sure combos were bigger but the game was 9/10 the same.

Folks didn't give a shit about it until they were told Japan loved it under its original name and they started releasing more installments of it over here under that name.

Fickle brainwashed people need to just stop reading reviews and admit when they have fun with a game sometimes, because Dynasty Warriors is still fun.

For me the scenario is a big part of the fun. Ancient China just doesn't connect with me as much as Gundam, Fist of the Northstar or the Sengoku period does. Still, right now I am in a dilemma. I can#t decide if I should get Samurai Warriors Chronicles or DW7. Only really want one of those because DW: Gundam 3 is of course already pre-ordered. ;)

MoxManiac said:
Slowdown != frame drops

The earlier DW games were 60fps locked. When the action became too hectic, the game would still render at 60fps, but slow down, like you pointed out. (and other things, like disappearing soldiers)

DW7 never slows down. Ever. It drops frames. That's the difference. DW7 doesn't have a locked fps like the earlier games, so when it gets too hectic, instead of slowdown, it skips frames.

Which would you say that is a better or worse way to handle it (well ideally it would be locked + have no slowdown)? Has it effected your enjoyment of the game at all?

To me I never noticed any framerate dropping at all and it has felt nice and smooth the whole 150 hours I've been playing the game. Whereas before it was painfully obvious when the slowdown would hit.

Xater said:
For me the scenario is a big part of the fun. Ancient China just doesn't connect with me as much as Gundam, Fist of the Northstar or the Sengoku period does. Still, right now I am in a dilemma. I can#t decide if I should get Samurai Warriors Chronicles or DW7. Only really want one of those because DW: Gundam 3 is of course already pre-ordered. ;)

I would say this, but that is because to me SWC feels like SW3 except with CAW main characters with a gimmicky character change system. I'd rather play SW3 or SW3Z.

Also, I know you are going to LOVE Gundam 3, I never liked Gundam, and in general don't like mecha anime, but I played the hell out of that game and had SO much fun doing it. Even did a bunch of coop with a friend to help him platinum it after I'd sunk all sorts of uncountable hours into my own save.

MoxManiac

AdawgDaFAB said:
Which would you say that is a better or worse way to handle it (well ideally it would be locked + have no slowdown)? Has it effected your enjoyment of the game at all?

To me I never noticed any framerate dropping at all and it has felt nice and smooth the whole 150 hours I've been playing the game. Whereas before it was painfully obvious when the slowdown would hit.

I don't think they could have done it the old way in DW7. Otherwise the game would be one big slowdown fest. In the old games the graphic detail was scaled back enough to keep things smooth most of the time, but in 7 they really ramped up the character and background detail.

The frame rate thing is dissapointing to me but it has not impacted my enjoyment of the game.

MoxManiac said:
I don't think they could have done it the old way in DW7. Otherwise the game would be one big slowdown fest. In the old games the graphic detail was scaled back enough to keep things smooth most of the time, but in 7 they really ramped up the character and background detail.

The frame rate thing is dissapointing to me but it has not impacted my enjoyment of the game.

Out of curiosity, do you know if Fist of the North Star, SW3Z, Gundam 3 or SB3 handle things in a similar method?

Xater

AdawgDaFAB said:
I would say this, but that is because to me SWC feels like SW3 except with CAW main characters with a gimmicky character change system. I'd rather play SW3 or SW3Z.

Also, I know you are going to LOVE Gundam 3, I never liked Gundam, and in general don't like mecha anime, but I played the hell out of that game and had SO much fun doing it. Even did a bunch of coop with a friend to help him platinum it after I'd sunk all sorts of uncountable hours into my own save.

I have not played SW3 (I have not had a Wii for while now) and the character change actually looks interesting to me. Seems like it could add some more strategy to the game. But if you have more insight because you played it I'd be all ear.

Sorry for the minor thread derailment DW7 fans.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Still a bit confused about the reason behind the weapon system. I can't think of a clear reason why characters can even bother to change weapons. Is there ever a gameplay bonus for swapping in battle? Is it a band-aid fix to prevent repetition in merely using a single weapon per char?

Everything else sounds great, but the weapon switching is so heavily promoted and I don't get it or understand it's appeal. Are fighters now essentially skins given the lack of unique weapon use?

Maybe when I play it, it will become clear, but right now it sounds unnecessary

MoxManiac

AdawgDaFAB said:
Out of curiosity, do you know if Fist of the North Star, SW3Z, Gundam 3 or SB3 handle things in a similar method?

I -think- FOTN might be 30fps locked (I dont recall any slowdown or frame dips) and SB3 seems to be so well optimized (at least on PS3) I have no idea. I haven't played the others.

Xater

MoxManiac said:
I -think- FOTN might be 30fps locked (I dont recall any slowdown or frame dips) and SB3 seems to be so well optimized (at least on PS3) I have no idea. I haven't played the others.

FOTN has slowdown in the mode that is not the Legend mode. I forgot what it was called in the game. SB3 I think ran at 60fps without a hitch on PS3.

Marvie_3

Banned
Brandon F said:
Still a bit confused about the reason behind the weapon system. I can't think of a clear reason why characters can even bother to change weapons. Is there ever a gameplay bonus for swapping in battle? Is it a band-aid fix to prevent repetition in merely using a single weapon per char?

Everything else sounds great, but the weapon switching is so heavily promoted and I don't get it or understand it's appeal. Are fighters now essentially skins given the lack of unique weapon use?

I just use the weapon switch to unlock seals faster.

shaowebb said:
Anyone notice how people hate dynasty warriors games until you replace the cast with a licensed list of characters or something?

Fist of the Northstar, Gundam...hell even Sengoku is a Dynasty Warriors clone that was originally released as Devil Kings over here in the states. Sure combos were bigger but the game was 9/10 the same.

Folks didn't give a shit about it until they were told Japan loved it under its original name and they started releasing more installments of it over here under that name.

Fickle brainwashed people need to just stop reading reviews and admit when they have fun with a game sometimes, because Dynasty Warriors is still fun.

And this is why I'm marching out to buy it right now.

Time for some combos and leveling up!

Edit:

That just reminded me, can you use custom soundtracks on the PS3 version? And are there loading issues like we had with FOTN on the 360?

AdawgDaFAB said:

The character change system is awesome. It allows them to spam missions at you all at once all over the map and you're all 'fffffffuck'. I hope more Musou games use some variant of that.

That being said, I think DW7 is still the better game. What I want is Warriors Orochi 3 and soon.

Haeleos

Brandon F said:

Your assumptions are pretty much spot on. What sets each character apart in gameplay terms is they have a unique finisher for their weapon of choice, their starting health/defense/attack/speed stats are a little different, and they have 2 unique musou attacks each. The weapon switching itself seems to be in place to sidestep complaints of some characters sharing the same weapon/moveset, but I agree that it's nothing more than a bandaid.

For isntance, both Cao Pi and Liu Bei start with dual swords as their main weapon. They have an EX move and 2 musou attacks that are unique to that weapon. Otherwise, they both share the same moveset with dual swords. You do not have to use dual swords, but you would not get their EX attack with other weapons. Some might see this as choice and customization, but I think the system only serves to make the characters less unique.

FrostuTheNinja said:
Time for some combos and leveling up!

You don't really level up at all in this one. There's a very small skill tree, but there isn't that sense of progression you get from earlier games really.

Marvie_3

Banned
AdawgDaFAB said:
We got DW6 and DW5 songs as BGM DLC and more free music DLC to come, keep your hopes up!
I already have the DW4 music on my 360 hard drive. It'd be easier to pick it from the menu though. :lol

Haeleos said:
You don't really level up at all in this one. There's a very small skill tree, but there isn't that sense of progression you get from earlier games really.

Uhhhh... What?

Well, shit...

Edit:

At least there's a skill tree...

I guess...

Sqorgar

Banned
Haeleos said:
It has the growth system from DW3. You collect Attack + 1, Defense + 1, Life Up + 10 off fallen generals.

You do not have to use dual swords, but you would not get their EX attack with other weapons.
The EX attacks are a single attack string and most of them aren't ground shatteringly awesome or anything. The characters have a weapon preference, but you aren't really that penalized for not using it. Plus you get two weapons that you can change with a button press, and can change your equipped weapons mid-level - you can use pretty much any weapon you want at any time. There's really no reason not to. As far as I can tell, even the compatibility stars don't make that big a difference.

FrostuTheNinja said:
Uhhhh... What?

Well, shit...

Edit:

At least there's a skill tree...

I guess...

It's back to the old system of stat drops (+1, +2, +4, & +8 Attack/Defense and +10/+20 Health).

The skill tree is used to get another musou bar, your secondary musou, S5, S6, C6, C6 and a few skills that differ by character.

MoxManiac

Pureauthor said:
The character change system is awesome. It allows them to spam missions at you all at once all over the map and you're all 'fffffffuck'. I hope more Musou games use some variant of that.

That being said, I think DW7 is still the better game. What I want is Warriors Orochi 3 and soon.

SW3 and DW7 introduced enough brand new characters to make it worthwhile@!

Sqorgar said:
It has the growth system from DW3. You collect Attack + 1, Defense + 1, Life Up + 10 off fallen generals.

AdawgDaFAB said:
It's back to the old system of stat drops (+1, +2, +4, & +8 Attack/Defense and +10/+20 Health).

The skill tree is used to get another musou bar, your secondary musou, S5, S6, C6, C6 and a few skills that differ by character.

Ahhh, quite excellent!

So, my question still stands about the 360 revision. Loading issues?

MoxManiac said:
SW3 and DW7 introduced enough brand new characters to make it worthwhile@!

Imaging a dual weapon system with all of the DW7 Weapons (including all the future DLC we get) + SW3Z Weapons AND a Spirit Charge .... *drools*. They could easily make the Ex attacks be R1 attacks and take the Musou Kaiden's from SW3 and use that for the characters normal musous (since DW7 musous are much more like those than standard musous of previous games). Take all that + the standard randomness of new Orochi / Strikeforce exclusive characters and oh man....

DO WANT!

Shadow780

KOEI has been trying new things with the series and see what sticks. The charge attacks clearly have a better reception than renbu so they changed it back. The weapon switch can be more sophisticated for sure, for now I just pick one for crowd control and one for duels, but some weapons works great both ways like spears, there's very little incentive for Zhao Yun to use anything else other than spear unless you're trying to be flashy.

I'm glad that they brought back stats increase items and the ability to combo them into higher yields, full DW3 nostalgia win. Only complaint is that they don't seem to change to higher versions on higher difficulty.

Shadow780 said:
KOEI has been trying new things with the series and see what sticks. The charge attacks clearly have a better reception than renbu so they changed it back. The weapon switch can be more sophisticated for sure, for now I just pick one for crowd control and one for duels, but some weapons works great both ways like spears, there's very little incentive for Zhao Yun to use anything else other than spear unless you're trying to be flashy.

I'm glad that they brought back stats increase items and the ability to combo them into higher yields, full DW3 nostalgia win. Only complaint is that they don't seem to change to higher versions on higher difficulty.

Yeah they seem to be more set via stage than difficulty, and I've never seen more than a +4 drop in Conquest Mode (whereas +8 is the highest I've seen in Story Mode). As far as I've seen higher difficulty only gives you more fame after battle. Although, I played mostly with the Japanese game so I could be missing some other benefits from not being able to read anything.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
AdawgDaFAB said:
Yeah they seem to be more set via stage than difficulty, and I've never seen more than a +4 drop in Conquest Mode (whereas +8 is the highest I've seen in Story Mode). As far as I've seen higher difficulty only gives you more fame after battle. Although, I played mostly with the Japanese game so I could be missing some other benefits from not being able to read anything.

Do weapon drops still happen? Item accessories that can be equipped on any character when found?

Marleyman

Banned
Why doesn't another developer come out with a similar styled game and do it better? It boggles my mind. Koei has zero competition. Zero competition usually translates into laziness and lack of innovation.

Brandon F said:
Do weapon drops still happen? Item accessories that can be equipped on any character when found?

You can pick up weapons from officers and generics, yes. You can also buy them for Gold or earn them as rewards on stages.

Items got replaced with seals. Here is a list of all the game's seals:
http://tinyurl.com/DW7Seals

I put them in order as they appear in game. On the bottom is tabs for tons of other stuff, if you look at the various weapons tabs you can see what weapons you may need to get in order to unlock the different seals.

You unlock seals by playing with different weapons and then equip unlocked seals into weapon seal slots. Max you can have is 10 seal slots between your two weapons, minimum you can have is 4.

Marleyman said:
Why doesn't another developer come out with a similar styled game and do it better? It boggles my mind. Koei has zero competition. Zero competition usually translates into laziness and lack of innovation.

Sengoku BASARA?

Shadow780

Marleyman said:

There is Capcom's Sengoku Basara, but they really botched the localization of the first game. SB3 is a step in the right direction, no Japanese voice is still lame. It's basically a more action-oriented version of Musou.

Marleyman

Banned
AdawgDaFAB said:
Sengoku BASARA?

I was thinking a more westernized type of button masher. I know Koei released Troy recently..I just can't help but think that a western developer would make an awesome DW-type game set in medevil times or do Troy even better.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Haeleos said:
Have they announced that Samurai Warriors 3Z is coming to NA?

My guess is no, and it may be related to Nintendo having brought out/worked on the NA version of Samurai Warriors 3.

Koei never released Musou Orochi Z outside of Japan either, so I didn't hesitate to import Sengoku Musou 3Z last month.

I like DW7, but my favorite Koei Musous are still the Warriors Orochi games and Fist Of The Northstar.

Xater

Marleyman said:
I was thinking a more westernized type of button masher. I know Koei released Troy recently..I just can't help but think that a western developer would make an awesome DW-type game set in medevil times or do Troy even better.

But Troy was done by a western dev in Canada.

Troy very much looks like a reskin of DW6.

I think a western DW clone would run into very much the same problems as western fighters: it would have tons of blood and be very dark, gritty and serious, whereas Dynasty is flashy, unrealistic, heroic and sometimes pure slapstick. If DW ever went realistic and let you cut the heads off Da Qiao and Xiao Qiao, I would be disgusted (hello, Samurai Shodown Sen).

I don't think many western companies would want to make a Musou clone though. They would rather make a God of War or DMC/Bayonetta clone if they were going to make a game focused on heavy 3rd person combat and whatnot. They would probably look at various Musou series sales numbers and be dissuaded.

Marvie_3 said:
I'm curious as well. I'd never heard of this game until this thread.

It's in my queue of games to play after I finish DW7 and Trinity. So, I'm going to be playing it but I have no idea on if its good or sucks.

Marvie_3

Banned
AdawgDaFAB said:
It's in my queue of games to play after I finish DW7 and Trinity. So, I'm going to be playing it but I have no idea on if its good or sucks.
Hurry up! I need to know! j/k

Anyone wanna try the online tonight? I can never find anyone to match up with when I try.

Marleyman

Banned
AdawgDaFAB said:

I have it #1 on my Gamefly Q but it is always "Low" availibility.

Marvie_3 said:
Hurry up! I need to know! j/k

Anyone wanna try the online tonight? I can never find anyone to match up with when I try.

No interwebs ps3 = Adawg am cry. I'd be willing to help people out unlocking characters / hexes they aren't near by if I could go online. Hopefully I can do something about my setup and get online with it at some point.

Shadow780

I'm finishing up story mode, after that I'll be open to online co-op :)

AdawgDaFAB said:
LOL! Just was making note of it, because I didn't want to steal all the credit for it and have people thinking I did all the work alone.

Sharing credits on teh interwebs?! Whatisthisnonsense.jpg

Marvie_3

Banned
AdawgDaFAB said:
No interwebs ps3 = Adawg am cry. I'd be willing to help people out unlocking characters / hexes they aren't near by if I could go online. Hopefully I can do something about my setup and get online with it at some point.
I have it on 360. :(

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Oh dammit. I was looking at the trophy list and I saw the trophy for "Hearing all conversations in Kingdom Mode".

Son of a bitch. I've finished Shu's KM and am halfway through Wu's KM and I've barely talked to anyone in the pre-battle base scenes. I'm going to be PISSED if I have to spend another 6-8 hours replaying KM's just for a bronze trophy. >_<

Top Bottom