• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

slash3584

Well the only thing I can say is that I now understand what people were saying when they didn't trust Nintendo not to make this release a mess.

I really wasn't expecting much:

A new console with enough power to at least run some less demanding current gen games, common online infrastructure (friends, chat, maybe something like achievements), price of around 300€ and only one great game at launch.

Instead we got a console that seemingly can't even run a remaster of a 5 years old game, a really lacking online infrastructure that even seems to be worse that I could have imagined if that mobile app is the only way to use it, and looks like it's 330€ here in Europe for some reason.

At least BoTW looks amazing and it launches with the console.

Edit: also wtf at those accesory prices! And SFII 40$? And probably from now on Pokemon trading/battling will be behind a paywall!.

The more I think about it my reaction looks more like this:

UkaDz3i.gif

It really seems like someone at Nintendo lost his damm mind!

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Sooooo I think it's time to ask the important questions, what's the point breakdown on the Switch betting special and who is Ultima Brad going up against?

Deimo5

Yeah, I just saw that and was about to edit my post. So it fits in between the Slim and Pro. Better than expected but still worse than it should be.

We probably won't get a NZ price today because it's too late but I'm sure we'll get a worse price even though our dollar is really strong. I vaguely remember the 3DS being more expensive than the 360 here for a while.

If you convert it by launch ps4 price for example (400/650) then the Switch would work out to about 487 nzd? Then round it up to 500 I guess. That would also fit with 470 aud which converts to 495 nzd.

Sooooo I think it's time to ask the important questions, what's the point breakdown on the Switch betting special and who is Ultima Brad going up against?

Do your best not to think about it and allow EZA to let us know. It'll be better that way :)

I enjoyed the switch conference, I only need Mario though so I was easy.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Do your best not to think about it and allow EZA to let us know. It'll be better that way :)

I enjoyed the switch conference, I only need Mario though so I was easy.
Couldn't wait :-x

Doing my best estimating how it went down just going by memory so I might be wrong on some stuff. Only going to list the names when point changes happen.
Simple Bets
Will the word "Metroid" be spoken? Result: No
Brand Manager:1
Will Wario reveal himself? Result: No (Alas I missed him in Mario Kart)
Cold Blooded:1
Will the phrase "You're a kid now, you're a squid now" reveal itself? Result: No
Cold Blooded: 2, Unrepentant Bosman: 1, Punished Huber: 1, Brand Manager:2
Will Wave Race be shown in any form? Result: No
Unrepentant Bosman: 2, Rainy Day Ian: 1, Benzilla: 1, Brand Manager: 3
Will Waluigi speak? (This includes grunts, laughs, etc.) Result: No
Cold Blooded: 3, Punished Huber: 2
Will Link reveal HERSELF? Result: No
Cold Blooded: 4, Unrepentant Bosman: 3, Punished Huber: 3, Benzilla: 2
Simple Bets tally
Cold Blooded: 4, Unrepentant Bosman: 3, Rainy Day Ian: 1, Punished Huber: 3, Benzilla: 2, Brand Manager: 3
Dirty Bets
How many Rupees will we see?
Kyle: 25 | Brandon: Higher than 25
Kyle: +2 -> 5 points
How many Fire Flowers will appear?
Ian: 6 | Ben: Lower than 6
Ben: +2 -> 4 points
How many Switch games shown will star Mario?
Bloodworth: 4 | Huber: Lower than 4 (Not sure I think Huber wins? Mario Kart, Mario Odyssey, anything else? I can't remember)
Huber: +2 -> 5 points
(The Elyse Special) How many Double Jumps?
Ben: 4 | Ian: Higher than 4
Got no Idea sorry.
How many Switch clicks will we hear during the presentation?
Brandon: 11 | Kyle: Lower than 11 (I think Kyle wins this because it was animated Logo + Click )
Kyle: +2 -> 7 points
How many times will the phrase "Make the Switch" be said?
Huber: 3 | Bloodworth: Lower than 3
Bloodworth: +2 -> 6 points
Dirty Bets tally
Cold Blooded: 6, Unrepentant Bosman: 7, Rainy Day Ian: 1, Punished Huber: 5, Benzilla: 4, Brand Manager: 3
2 Points are unaccounted for!
Double down on Don
How many times will a word be spoken out loud that rhymes with the word "Switch"?
Cold Blooded: 15, Unrepentant Bosman: 9, Rainy Day Ian: 26, Punished Huber: 2, Benzilla: 3, Brand Manager: 0
I got nothing sorry.
This makes 5 unaccounted points!
Final Bets
What will be the US retail price of the Switch (Price of lowest SKU)
Cold Blooded: 299.99, Unrepentant Bosman: 249.99, Rainy Day Ian: 299.99, Punished Huber: 299.99, Benzilla: 249.99, Brand Manager: 199.99
Final tally
Cold Blooded: +2 -> 8, Unrepentant Bosman: -1 -> 6, Rainy Day Ian: +2 -> 3, Punished Huber: +2 -> 7, Benzilla: -1 -> 3, Brand Manager: -3 -> 0
Again 5 points are not accounted for!
3 of that for any of them. 2 for possibly Ben or Ian.

Sorry for any mistakes. I'll correct them if any Allies are crazy enough to help out :)
I spoiler tagged in case people wanted to wait for the EZA video itself.

Hasney

I've got 2 orders for the neon and one on the grey I'm keeping just in case. I've ordered as many as Ben. This month and a half is going to be rough.

Karu

"The paid online service will be available in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico only at launch."

Muhahha THE FUCK?! (From the dedicated online service thread here. To down to check source lol)

Do we just keep not paying outside of the region? Well...okay. Doesn't scream "we are ready" though. Not. at. all.

Edit:
I've got 2 orders for the neon and one on the grey I'm keeping just in case. I've ordered as many as Ben. This month and a half is going to be rough.
I slightly mad at Nintendo right now. Still jealous. :D

wapplew

"The paid online service will be available in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico only at launch."

Muhahha THE FUCK?! (From the dedicated online service thread here. To down to check source lol)

Do we just keep not paying outside of the region? Well...okay. Doesn't scream "we are ready" though. Not. at. all.

What's more funny, Hong Kong get simultaneous launch but the system UI do not support Chinese language. Nintendo just trolling.

Hasney

Edit:

Well, uh, I might cancel depending on what that wording means.

arkon

It was the standard cycle with Nintendo for me with that presentation and I even got up early to watch it. Once the dust settled there were enough iffy things for me not to pre-order for launch. I ended up skipping out on the Wii U completely with the same mindset because I kept waiting for the next attractive price point or game until I'd reached a point I was happy with buying it. I still may go back and play through some of the titles I've had my eye on but it seems like CEMU will be how I experience those.

I'm hoping the Switch isn't the same situation but early signs are similar. I'd like them to get the same sort of titles as the Vita, as in JRPGs etc as I think the portability factor would open up my gaming time a lot more. Like I'd love to see the Trails series on it (even though it's extremely unlikely to happen) going forward. I think that plus the Nintendo first party lineup would satisfy me.

As far as the information given out, too much of it was redundant and lacking in necessary detail in vital areas. The price point isn't great and the third party presence was poor. I really hope they have other announcements lined up because it's not a great start. Having said all that there were at least 3, maybe 4 if I stretch to include Xenoblade 2, games I'd be interested in. Zelda might get me back into the series and Mario impressed me more than when 3d world was revealed. I also liked the look of Octopath Traveller. The killer app for me might be Mario. I think that's when I'm likely to jump in unless I fall victim to the hype before that. Looking forward to the EZA coverage regardless.

The EZA stream made it worth waking up early for it in the end though.

Karu

It's up on the german amazon. Pre-ordered for the moment. The next two month will be definitely interesting. If nothing more convincing comes along, I might cancel - we will see.

If you convert it by launch ps4 price for example (400/650) then the Switch would work out to about 487 nzd? Then round it up to 500 I guess. That would also fit with 470 aud which converts to 495 nzd.

This is Nintendo though. NZ$500 would be a super optimistic price, my guess is somewhere between NZ$520-550.

Edit:

Nintendo and online just doesn't mix. When I first bought my 3DS and found out their webstore is limited to certain countries and Aus/NZ just doesn't have one, I was baffled. And they want people to pay for that experience. Pay to use game invites and and voice chat on a mobile phone!

Ugh, I thought I was being realistic with my expectations but I still set them way too high.

KeRaSh

It's up on the german amazon. Pre-ordered for the moment. The next two month will be definitely interesting. If nothing more convincing comes along, I might cancel - we will see.

Same here. Not sure if Zelda BotW is enough for me to justify it at launch. I might just get it on the Wii U and wait for a bundle with Mario when that launches.

Auctopus

Had a short nap since the press conference here in the U.K. and surprised to wake to see the Switch still available for launch day on Amazon. £280 is better than I was expecting too.

I'm waiting until Christmas to even consider buying one, though. The next few months are already hectic for games and the only things that interested me from the near future in that pressed were Mario and Zelda.

Hasney

Had a short nap since the press conference here in the U.K. and surprised to wake to see the Switch still available for launch day on Amazon. £280 is better than I was expecting too.

I'm waiting until Christmas to even consider buying one, though. The next few months are already hectic for games and the only things that interested me from the near future in that pressed were Mario and Zelda.

While I'm not expecting sales to be a barn burner, I don't think Nintendo has confirmed stock levels to retailers yet in EU so they might miss out if preordered now.

I watched the presentation this morning and now I'm catching up with the Allies stream.

When Mario Odyssey was revealed I was certain that Bosman wouldn't like it. Mario in the REAL world? That ain't right!

But he seemed really into it, and rightly so.
I remember him moaning about Link being in Mario Kart because he's too big.

KeRaSh

I watched the presentation this morning and now I'm catching up with the Allies stream.

When Mario Odyssey was revealed I was certain that Bosman wouldn't like it. Mario in the REAL world? That ain't right!

But he seemed really into it, and rightly so.
I remember him moaning about Link being in Mario Kart because he's too big.

Haha, I thought the same thing! Glad he liked it, though. While it looks a little weird having Mario in a realistic setting with real people, the other settings looked great.

Karu

When I saw Mario in the real world I was like "huh"? But I like it when a company like Nintendo gets weird and I am not too worried about the game, since we know it won't be a train wreck - quite the opposite. When Sonic does it, it is on top of the fear it could be garbage gameplay wise, that's a dangerous mix right there.

Budi

I think the presentation overall is great, good vibe, fun, nice pacing (drop a little when 3rd party talk), presenters have so much fun.
Content side, the high is super high and low is super low.

Yeah this is pretty much what I thought, I loved the presentation. But the amount of games left me disappointed. Western and Japanese both. I truly hope more announcements are still dropping before the launch of Switch. I'm still interested, It's still the only console I want to own from the current ones. But this didn't really raise my hype levels.

Edit: Also the prices were bit of a punch to the gut. Especially when I think what they will be here in Finland. PS4 Pro is 429 euros at cheapest.

Auctopus

Haha, I thought the same thing! Glad he liked it, though. While it looks a little weird having Mario in a realistic setting with real people, the other settings looked great.

When I saw Mario in the real world I was like "huh"? But I like it when a company like Nintendo gets weird and I am not too worried about the game, since we know it won't be a train wreck - quite the opposite. When Sonic does it, it is on top of the fear it could be garbage gameplay wise, that's a dangerous mix right there.

I think it has a sort of Who Framed Roger Rabbit? or the Treehouse of Horror episode that ends with Homer coming to the real world sort of vibe.

It works for some reason.

Karu

My most anticipated title might be Splatoon 2 after all. That's the one title I am so super jealous of from the Wii U console. I am a pretty big MP fan and Splatoon just looks like a jolly good time.

Kneefoil

I don't think I've ever felt as conflicted about video games as I feel with the Switch. Nor has any Nintendo conference or presentation ever made me want to get a Playstation as badly as this one. I have a Switch pre-ordered, but I might still cancel and get a PS4 for Yakuza, Odin Sphere and Persona instead.

I really like the games they showed, but those price tags - not just on the system itself, but accessories and services as well... They are more than they should be for what they are giving you, and I think Nintendo will regret that when the sales fail to meet their expectations. It's too bad the rumours about Nintendo positively surprising the market with the Switch's price didn't turn out to be true. A $300+ price tag isn't going to attract mobile gamers either, despite what Ubisoft or Nintendo think, say or do.

The thing is, though, while I already have a Wii U, so I don't need an NS for Zelda, I know I'll get a Switch eventually, so might as well get the version that runs better. I'm also so thirsty for Zelda that I need to play it on release date. Even without Zelda, I'm going to need a Switch for Splatoon 2 this summer, but I guess I'll also have to pay to play it online. :-/ Hopefully one month subscriptions will be only 2 or 3 euros, but I have a feeling it's going to be closer to 5€.

Really don't care about Mario Kart 8 Deluxe as long as the Wii U one still has online. I can play that online for free, and I'm not that big on battle mode. Characters don't make a big difference in Mario Kart either. If Smash 4 comes to Switch, though, I might have to double dip on that, if it has new characters and stages.

Hopefully the Bomberman game turns out alright, although I would've preferred a Bomberman Hero/64 type of game. Looking forward to playing Puyo Tetris as well, even though I could also play that on a PS4, if I were to get one.
I don't get it. When HD Remix came out it was $15.

FIFTEEN.
They really need to have made drastic changes/additions to the game to justify the price tag. If it really ends up being $40, as it now seems it will, Evil Ryu and Violent Ken are nowhere near enough.

Wiggy

Really disappointed personally in the conference and news coming out after. Not sure when/if I'll get one. Zelda had a good trailer and Mario looked pretty cool though, especially thinking of them as portable games.

Final verdict
D-

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
What hurts the most with the Switch is I see the massive potential I still do. Like having this on the go play thing if it has widespread market appeal can be incredibly amazing. Like the possibility of some parts of the west getting a taste of what gaming in Japan is like I can see that since there's a lot of casual stuff that's possible.
Where it gets interesting for me is for all the hardcore games and something like Monster Hunter instantly becomes insanely appealing. Like a successful Switch leading to me randomly finding people playing all kinds of game with it outside would be amazing but maybe I'm dreaming here too much.

But Nintendo dropping the ball on messaging and just giving the overall impression of still being totally out of touch is a huuuuuuge bummer.
I hope the Switch gets supported enough through the Nintendo diehards until the price value proposition becomes more attractive(400+ euros for the optimal Zelda experience is bonkers, for that money I'd theoretically rather get a PS4 with 2 games) for people like me to jump in. I also want higher battery life super badly.... like suuuuuuuuper badly. 3 hours playing something like a Zelda is not enough I want at least double that so I can basically use it like my 3ds(My Vita usually goes 8 hours or more).

Also I'm sooooo worried about Nintendo's online attempt. They really needed to lay some fears to rest based on them constantly showcasing how behind they are on anything online.

I'm glad I didn't do a preorder last night. I was riding the press-conference high but upon reflection I'm not sure there is enough available at launch for me to want to buy in so early. Not to mention that Nintendo is planning to charge for online play and hardly said anything about how they'll be changing the online play of the console. I've never been impressed by the Nintendo network. I may end up getting Breath of the Wild on Wii U instead and waiting till 2018 to get a switch based on its lineup.

wapplew

Comes holiday Switch will be an attractive product. $249 Zelda+ one other game bundle will do wonder.
If that fail, start Switch phase 2 in 2018.

WarRock

It was a bad reveal and Nintendo didn't get the memo for a lot of stuff (online services, lol), but people saying this is the worst first year/launch line up have awful memory.

I wanted to go to bed. Treehouse Stream starting in 30 minutes.

Welp.

#settlein

I think you meant 'Help'.

I wonder what games we're going to see at the Treehouse live.

Edit:

I didn't check the last page or two to see if anyone posted but it looks like Nintendo plans to offer some sort of 'Monthly Game' with their online subscription

Here's the page.

The thing that has me worried is it says 'download and play for a month'.

wiibomb

The conference was weird af, but I guess I expected that seeing that it was an event made in Japan (conferences there a kind of weird and lifeless)

I'm not so mad at nintendo for the online, everyone is doing it now, only PC is free from that and I'm not even sure for how long.

also, I'm so mad I couldn't preorder the masters edition at amazon, why at 2am amazon, why???

ShadyK54

Well as I anticipated, I went against my word on not pre-ordering right away by turning around and pre-ordering right away (through Target), at least for the time being. I hope Nintendo still has a couple of games up their sleeves in the next month or else it's cancel time.

Edit: Target being wonky and not accepting my card because of course so no pre-order secured. Fun times.

Karu

Wario64 posting some stuff on Twitter and I hope some of these prices are placeholders....

Minecraft 60$ Best Buy
The Binding of Isaac Afterbirth 40$ Gamestop

Then there's the SFighterII price as mentioned and the controller prices...

Nintendo targeting the ultra-rich confirmed.

Wario64 posting some stuff on Twitter and I hope some of these prices are placeholders....

Minecraft 60$ Best Buy

I saw something about the Street Fighter 2 game being $40 so... I don't know

Hasney

Minecraft 60$ Best Buy

Then there's the SFighterII price as mentioned and the controller prices...

It's either RRPs haven't been confirmed or those carts are expensive as fuck. If it's the latter, then hopefully digital ones are alright.

I've never wanted a final bosman/Kyle at home style episode more than after last night.

He has actively dreamed and pines for the switch for almost 2 years. Wanting the beefy chips, loving the reveal, etc. and then they rolled out that

And you could see him processing it all after the event on stream

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom