• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

sora87

Don discount gaming should get it's own post in the main forum it's so good. If things like Jim sterling and new episodes of Colin was right can Don should get a thread.

The only problem is those people have big followings on here and often have discussion points to their videos. DDG is great but yeah, I don't see a separate thread getting too much attention sadly :/

Tankard

Just watched the Hall of Greats induction.

As one of the guys that complained about game choices for Group Streams, i really appreciate them listening and trying something different, Kyle had a great idea.

Also Don continues to be the best.

Also screw you guys saying crap about GoldenEye 007. One of the best games ever.

Servbot24

Banned
GoldenEye is a bad game. It's not fun today and it wasn't fun when it came out.

MegaMan Legends is a top 20 game of all time. I wish Kyle would have voted MML2 though, which is even better, and possibly in my top 5. Needed a stronger speech.

abrack08

Loved the Hall of Greats stream, definitely something to look forward to every few months. Was pretty surprising, right after they talked about how everyone was going to give 3 points to their own game (so Huber, Brad, and Damiani's games were clearly screwed) 3 allies gave MGS their 3 points and it won. Definitely the correct choice though!

Tankard

GoldenEye is a bad game. It's not fun today and it wasn't fun when it came out.

MegaMan Legends is a top 20 game of all time. I wish Kyle would have voted MML2 though, which is even better, and possibly in my top 5. Needed a stronger speech.

You are a bad game.

Really surprised with the lack of FF or Zelda games in the list. I was for sure at least Damiani would have nominated Link to the Past.

To troll Kyle

CyReN

Super pumped that they got a new camera. But, Easy Allies, PLEASE, start taking focusing and composition a little more seriously.

This could have looked so much better if they just took a second to level the shot and center the subjects. It's not hard at all and it makes it look way better. This here just looks hastily thrown together:

bJErKxg.png

A little bit of adjustment to make it more like this would go a long way:

OO17Rtw.png

Don't get me wrong; I LOVE the show, and I love EZA in general. I just wish they put a little more care into the production side.

They did it

88583167d6ed45f3683376cdb812814b.png
!

Axass

Yep, that framing is a little claustrophobic though.

What a game! I remember once when I was a teen and went to cut my hair, my barber started talking about this amazing demo he tried, unlike anything he had ever played before. He told me about the whole premise, the dialogues with Meryl and Campbell, the stealth, the crazy (at the time) graphics, the movie-like approach.

I was immediately caught in. MGS went from being an unknown quantity to being my most hyped game ever. When it came out I couldn't stop playing it, I finished it in like three sittings, with just a few hours break.

Then I started it again. And again. I finished it thrice before putting it down, got the bandana and the invisible camo. Still sits proudly in my top ten of best games ever. Excellent first EZA "Hall of Greats" inductee.

PRAISE BEN!!! I think you could argue that it's a little tight on headroom, it might look a little more natural with a bit more space, BUT WHATEVER I'LL TAKE IT!

Yeah, we need a little more head space. We also need to fix the lighting a bit. With all that said, this has been a "cursed" episode. I'm happy it even exists. But yeah, all of those production complaints are extremely valid.

Budi

Oh man, which one to watch! The group stream or Frame Trap, so much good stuff. Still need to finish that Zelda DLC discussion too.

Loved the Hall of Greats idea/stream, but here's some suggestions I have going forward.

-There's certain games that are so ubdoubtedly "one of the greats" that I think even going through the rigmarole is kind of a waste of time/unfair to the more "fringe" candidates. I think they should have some sort of mass inaugural class or something, so a Zelda/Mario/FF or another undoubted "great" just doesn't trounce everyone. That could be a stream by itself.

No offense to Damiani as he did it well, but him arguing Metal Gear as "one of the greats" just isn't as interesting as Don arguing Black flag was, because, obviously, Metal Gear deserves to be there. The more "fringe" and divisive a game is, the more interesting the debate would be, in my opinion.

- This needs to happen more often than once every 4 months. 6 games a year is too little. A mass induction might solve/help this.

-We need a "Hall of Greats" shrine somewhere on Jones' wall.

-I think they already said this, but less speech time and more discussion/debate time would be better, I think.

-Keep blind voting, that was fantastic. Jones and Bosman each holding up a "1" for their game was hilarious.

Szeth

Loved the Hall of Greats idea/stream, but here's some suggestions I have going forward.

-There's certain games that are so ubdoubtedly "one of the greats" that I think even going through the rigmarole is kind of a waste of time/unfair to the more "fringe" candidates. I think they should have some sort of mass inaugural class or something, so a Zelda/Mario/FF or another undoubted "great" just doesn't trounce everyone. That could be a stream by itself.

No offense to Damiani as he did it well, but him arguing Metal Gear as "one of the greats" just isn't as interesting as Don arguing Black flag was, because, obviously, Metal Gear deserves to be there. The more "fringe" and divisive a game is, the more interesting the debate would be, in my opinion.

- This needs to happen more often than once every 4 months. 6 games a year is too little. A mass induction might solve/help this.

-I think they already said this, but less speech time and more discussion/debate time would be better, I think.

-Keep blind voting, that was fantastic. Jones and Bosman each holding up a "1" for their game was hilarious.

Agreed with everything said here, especially the mass induction of the no brainers that everyone already agrees on. I'd also say since there are 9 choices each time and you're voting for 3 already, you should put 3 in instead of 2. Just let both SFII and Super Metroid in IMO.

Axass

I don't like the idea of mass inductions, you gotta respect the process! Everything else I'm okay with. Also I think people shouldn't be able to propose the same game twice in a row, it would add variety to the discussion.

The only problem is those people have big followings on here and often have discussion points to their videos. DDG is great but yeah, I don't see a separate thread getting too much attention sadly :/

Don discount gaming should get it's own post in the main forum it's so good. If things like Jim sterling and new episodes of Colin was right can Don should get a thread.

Well, it's free publicity for the Allies, even if it gets them one new patron it's a win, I'm going to try: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=230809671

abrack08

I was actually worried they were misunderstanding the voting process and putting up one finger to signify that game was their #1 choice (so 3 points) or something. But it was clear based on their discussion after they all knew what they were doing. It is funny that not only did they not choose their own game for 3 points, they didn't even give it 2 points.

Not if it's gonna take the group stream's place every time.
Normal group streams might have higher highs (Most tournaments, Pokemon Snap), but they also have lower lows (Power Rangers, Wild Guns). I think a Hall of Greats or similar discussion will be really fun pretty much every time, personally. Group streams are kinda risky whether or not they'll be feeling the game.

Vinc

I'm just gonna voice this even though I think they already know and it's obviously not really possible at this time, but I think one thing that could help towards that studio goal is adding Final Bosman's return as part of the goal. It was by far my favorite show at GameTrailers and I think a lot of people came to the site for it as well. I might be wrong, but to me that show is a real killer app.

I absolutely LOVE the content as it is right now and I'm grateful to have it at all. I also really appreciate the videos Kyle makes on his own channel, and I completely respect the fact that he may not want to or may not be able to make the show as it was anymore. But if there's any way to bring it back, I really think it would make a difference. To me, this crew without a Final Bosman show is kind of like Nintendo without mainline Mario games. It's still great. Fantastic even. But it's missing something.

I'm just gonna voice this even though I think they already know and it's obviously not really possible at this time, but I think one thing that could help towards that studio goal is adding Final Bosman's return as part of the goal. It was by far my favorite show at GameTrailers and I think a lot of people came to the site for it as well. I might be wrong, but to me that show is a real killer app.

I absolutely LOVE the content as it is right now and I'm grateful to have it at all. I also really appreciate the videos Kyle makes on his own channel, and I completely respect the fact that he may not want to or may not be able to make the show as it was anymore. But if there's any way to bring it back, I really think it would make a difference. To me, this crew without a Final Bosman show is kind of like Nintendo without mainline Mario games. It's still great. Fantastic even. But it's missing something.

It's kind of the only thing missing at this point, but he may be doing stuff other than EZA. The bonus bits would be tough without an office, too. Maybe they could tie that into the studio goal?

Mista Koo

Normal group streams might have higher highs (Most tournaments, Pokemon Snap), but they also have lower lows (Power Rangers, Wild Guns). I think a Hall of Greats or similar discussion will be really fun pretty much every time, personally. Group streams are kinda risky whether or not they'll be feeling the game.
The lower lows aren't tied to the format. And I still was looking forward to them.

Vinc

It's kind of the only thing missing at this point, but he may be doing stuff other than EZA. The bonus bits would be tough without an office, too. Maybe they could tie that into the studio goal?

Yeah that's basically what I mean. If there's any possibility that Final Bosman could return when they reach the studio goal, I think they should add that as part of the stated goal, or maybe make a 55k one or something.

I also think it might be a good idea to really start thinking about the tangible value they could feasibly add once they reach the studio goal, and try to make a video on the channel explaining and maybe conceptualizing those possibilities. That would excite the existing patrons while incentivizing potential patrons to contribute.

Man Jones really dances around spoiler territory for Horizon

Doesn't actually say anything but gets close at times

Playing with fire, Jones

dickroach

I can't believe Kyle hasn't played Psychonauts. he'd love it

Frame Trap got me really excited for Rhombus of Ruin, but I'm gonna wait till it's on sale. $20 for a 2 hr game :\

dickroach

Why does it need to happen that often? It didn't at all until now and we're just fine :p

yeah, exactly. it didn't exist before.
and the reason they should do it more often is that it will be 20 years until games like Super Mario Bros 3 get in.

IMO they should do it once a week, during the group Stream. each person nominates a game, no pitching, no q&a, just a quick vote (eyes closed obviously. same as this first one.), and one gets in.
after a year you have 50 games. 50 is a nice round number for the Hall of Greats. and then after that you shake it up a bit. everyone gets to nominate one game each week, but also nominates one game that is currently on the list to be removed (secret ballot?).

Axass

I realize the dollar amount hasn't let us hit that $40k goal, but it's really hard for me to consider it stagnation when we're at our highest number of patrons.

Also regarding "scamming" I really don't think it's a significant issue. People sign up and people drop out, often due to real financial circumstances. I don't think there's much to support the idea that people are pledging and withdrawing without the intent to pay.

I would like to do a telethon style stream sometime. Not sure if there's a great method of seeing Patreon pledging in real time though.

You're definitely not stagnating, but just to put things into perspective: at your current rate of around +75 patrons per month, considering the current average pledge per patron of $6,75, and the sum you currently need to reach 50k ($10.707), it would take you guys 10.707 / (6,75 x 75) = a little more than 21 months from now to reach the studio goal. Almost two years. =/

That's if the flow of new patrons keeps being steady (which hasn't been the case in the last year), and if the average pledge amount doesn't decrease over time (it will, it decreased by around $3 dollars this year). You can strengthen your numbers if you open up more sponsor slots, both on the Podcast and possibly on Frame Trap, or if the patron D&D slots fill up again, but we'd still be looking at a long wait to reach the studio and mantain it.

Speaking of which, do you guys have a ETA for when the new Patreon reward tiers you discussed in January will drop?

TBH, I feel like that's an argument against a mass induction. It's called the Hall of Greats, not the Hall of the Greats plus the Best of the Rest. Apologies to Don, he's awesome, but AC4 doesn't deserve to be listed alongside games like MGS1, SF2 or SM.

Only hosting it once every 4 months did seem a bit weird to me at first, until I realised that Kyle was merely abiding by the Rule of Three (per year) his hero, Shigeru Miyamoto, created.

shugdaddy

Neo Member
3 times a year makes it more of a special occasion.

Also no mass induction could lead to shows where every game may be one of the locks leading to great debates and hard decisions.

IMO:

No mass inductions.

6 games a year is fine.

Keep it an elite club. #respecttheprocess

i'm voting for SF2 on the strength of Ben's speech

TBH, I feel like that's an argument against a mass induction. It's called the Hall of Greats, not the Hall of the Greats plus the Best of the Rest. Apologies to Don, he's awesome, but AC4 doesn't deserve to be listed alongside games like MGS1, SF2 or SM.

Only hosting it once every 4 months did seem a bit weird to me at first, until I realised that Kyle was merely abiding by the Rule of Three (per year) his hero, Shigeru Miyamoto, created.

Put it this way, if Major League Baseball were just now opening a Hall of Fame and they had limits on who could be in there from the beginning...we'd have a gigantic backlog of "Greats" not in because there has already been decades and decades of history. You'd get dumb arguments like "does Hank Aaron belong in the Hall of Fame more than Ted Williams?" when it's incredibly obvious both are "one of the greats" already and both belong. Like next time they might be battling over Mario 3 vs. Ocarina of Time vs. FF7 for 2 spots which just ain't right when they all obviously deserve that extremely prestigious title.

Each year new baseball players are inducted into the Hall of Fame. They aren't all obviously at the caliber of a Willie Mays, but they've all established a baseline of excellence that made them worthy. A Hall of Fame or "HoG" isn't a specific ranking, it just acknowledges that their mostly undeniable excellence.

Paches

Ben - Thank you for sticking up for Divinity: Original Sin 2. Playing the early access confirms all the hype in the world for me. It is going to be so amazing.

Anticol

Banned
Just wanted to say the stream yesterday was great, I really like the idea for the Hall of Greats but I would love that instead of every four months they would do a stream like this every 3 months. Also, As others said the time for the proposal should be a little shorter and the discussion or opinions from the other allies should be a bit longer and in my opinion another rule should be added, a game can only be nominated a certain number of times, if it doesn't make it in those then it shouldn't be brought up again.

Budi

Ben - Thank you for sticking up for Divinity: Original Sin 2. Playing the early access confirms all the hype in the world for me. It is going to be so amazing.

What do you mean by sticking up? I'm still at Nioh part in the new Frame Trap episode. Is this something that will anger me, who is bashing on it?

And yeah, thanks Ben! Even though I don't exactly know what for.

Servbot24

Banned
re: frame trap
I'm surprised none of em picked Zelda as what they think EZAGOTY2017 will be. i think it's a lock

That would be pretty shocking to me honestly. Zelda has a ton of odds it will have to overcome.

Persona 5 or Mario Odyssey are the most likely options imo.

Paches

What do you mean by sticking up? I'm still at Nioh part in the new Frame Trap episode. Is this something that will anger me, who is bashing on it?

And yeah, thanks Ben! Even though I don't exactly know what for.

They predict GOTYs at the end of the year and Ben made sure to give D:OS 2 its proper dues. I am just glad it wasn't forgotten in all the great other games that are coming this year!

Budi

They predict GOTYs at the end of the year and Ben made sure to give D:OS 2 its proper dues. I am just glad it wasn't forgotten in all the great other games that are coming this year!

Glad to hear! Reception to Torment has seemed fairly good too based on the Early Access. Still hoping Ben would review it :p But might not happen with Zelda so close and as he hasn't still played Horizon either. I'm afraid that might interest him more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom