• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

farisr

Been trying to catch up on the content the past few days.

I like how the last Easy Update (35, with Ashly Burch) is basically what I do at home when I'm alone. Except, without the ability to play a live instrument, LOL. Really liked it.

Just a few more to go.
It doesn't by itself? I am also subbed to EZA with my Twitch Prime sub.
From what I've seen, you have to manually renew each month.

Guys what are the chances we'll ever get to 50k and get that studio? Do Patreons ever grow beyond this point or do they tend to just plateau?

Auctopus

In case any of EZA wanna get in the spirit of the season...

benxmasavi67uoj.jpg

bloodxmasavi0tuih.jpg

bradxmasavitvuu9.jpg

damxmasavimiuqu.jpg

Hasney

My XV actually arrived this morning. Waiting on that patch coming down and then I hope I'm not clouded by being this hungover while playing it.

I don't get to play XV until tuesday like the rest of the average joes :(

I have off Tuesday though, so I need to go ham and play as much as possible before PSX lol

Asd202

I don't get to play XV until tuesday like the rest of the average joes :(

I have off Tuesday though, so I need to go ham and play as much as possible before PSX lol

I'm the same and I also took Tuesday off. Debating still whether to hope someone has it on Monday where I live or just buy it digitally. How big is the game?

I'm the same and I also took Tuesday off. Debating still whether to hope someone has it on Monday where I live or just buy it digitally. How big is the game?
Googling says 45 gigs

No idea how big the day 1 patch is either (not on Pro), I'll have to grab it from Redbox at midnight if it's big. Just to have it ready when I grab my copy from Best Buy. I want to watch Kingsglaive first so I have time but I'm not gonna sit here for hours waiting for my weak internet lol

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Nooo.

Is that you, guy from the chat?

If yes, just STOP with the 700 quotes per stream on the twitch chat.

For a while I thought that this was a Twitch thing.

Now I know that it's just a random Otoshi_Gami thing.

Mista Koo

Their oath should Love & Respect but in Latin or something.
While I like Ian's comments about The Final Bosman, I'd rather no show than a too fast and too loose one.
. . es tut mir leid Ian ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The game Ian is describing/wishing for on the podcast is essentially Rogue Legacy (on an indie scale).
Now I realize why I was thinking that it would be a bad idea.

Naythan

I think a pledge drive special and a tier that got a Final Bosman follow-up show would boost EZA up to studio money. I know Kyle will probably never do it but if they want a guaranteed strategy to earn enough for studio space, that'd be one way to go about it.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Throwing this out here, curious how people generally feel about EZA reviews.
Personally I've never been the target group and they're not really the reason why I subscribe either. I recognize their importance though but I wonder how people generally feel about the format that is kind of the basic video review format.
Are most people happy with the way it is? Anyone wishes they'd try some changes to it?
Just wanted to have a discussion on it, weirdly, despite not being invested :-x in them.

The reason is mostly that I rarely feel that I learn anything that valuable about a game in that somewhat standard format(really across all outlets), the 4-8 minute review. Much prefer longer more indepth stuff that really goes into the nitty gritty like Joseph Anderson, Matthewmatosis even AngryJoe sometimes. I've found those formats on average more insightful.

In a way for EZA and their group spoiler discussions have generated similar insight.

And while we're at it maybe other people can share other reviews that they liked that don't follow the usual review format. I'll give special mention to TheKillianExperience who does hilarious comedy pieces/"reviews" of games.

Edit: I still watch EZA reviews here and there :-x because Brandon's calming voice.

The reviews aren't why I'm a patron/viewer, but I like them and members have said they themselves really enjoy doing them

I'd pretty much always rather hear impressions in more of a discussion (in either a stream, Frame Trap, etc) but reviews are a nice and more compact way to digest the information. At the very least you can say "ok, this person liked/disliked it, I tend to agree with them, cool"

I also really appreciate that unless you are hardcore media blackout on everything, you can trust EZA to not spoil anything in their reviews. They themselves care about that sort of thing and aren't in the business for clicks right now

I can't say I really want to hear someone really break apart a game to an insane degree beforehand, maybe if I have some reservations myself like "that doesn't look like it's actually fun" or "i'm afraid that action is too sluggish/awkward". At a certain point I think when you get into an insane level of nitpicking it can bleed into how you view the game and affect your own experience

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
The reviews aren't why I'm a patron/viewer, but I like them and members have said they themselves really enjoy doing them

I'd pretty much always rather hear impressions in more of a discussion (in either a stream, Frame Trap, etc) but reviews are a nice and more compact way to digest the information. At the very least you can say "ok, this person liked/disliked it, I tend to agree with them, cool"

I also really appreciate that unless you are hardcore media blackout on everything, you can trust EZA to not spoil anything in their reviews. They themselves care about that sort of thing and aren't in the business for clicks right now

That's actually a good point I never internalized. There have been times other reviews have spoiled things to me(and with the indepth reviews I mentioned liking spoiling is kind of inevitable, in a way that, reviews is the wrong term, they're more like reflection pieces), so I guess that's a selling point in a way.

Ultimadrago

Haha! Ian on the L&R Podcast.

"He demands resources!"

Agreed Ian. I want Bosman to have the resources to get his most polished shows back. Until then though, I certainly don't mind Dear Bosman.

Aters

Personally I've never been the target group and they're not really the reason why I subscribe either. I recognize their importance though but I wonder how people generally feel about the format that is kind of the basic video review format.
Are most people happy with the way it is? Anyone wishes they'd try some changes to it?
Just wanted to have a discussion on it, weirdly, despite not being invested :-x in them.

The reason is mostly that I rarely feel that I learn anything that valuable about a game in that somewhat standard format(really across all outlets), the 4-8 minute review. Much prefer longer more indepth stuff that really goes into the nitty gritty like Joseph Anderson, Matthewmatosis even AngryJoe sometimes. I've found those formats on average more insightful.

In a way for EZA and their group spoiler discussions have generated similar insight.

And while we're at it maybe other people can share other reviews that they liked that don't follow the usual review format. I'll give special mention to TheKillianExperience who does hilarious comedy pieces/"reviews" of games.

Edit: I still watch EZA reviews here and there :-x because Brandon's calming voice.

I don't think they are necessary. How many people actually care about a review way after the game launch? I think they should just sit down and talk about the games they play recently, making frame trap a weekly show would be great.

I don't think they are necessary. How many people actually care about a review way after the game launch? I think they should just sit down and talk about the games they play recently, making frame trap a weekly show would be great.

More people than watch most of the other shows...
I've already said a lot on the subject in this thread, but again, while conversations can be great, there's a whole different process that goes into producing our reviews that can't be captured in an off-the-cuff discussion. Taking notes, writing a script, labeling all the shots, and watching it all come together is very satisfying. I really think that they're better now than they were at GT. They're enjoyed by a large portion of our audience, and they consistently raise awareness of us among new people.

Roubjon

I love the reviews and I also think it's how they've carved out their own niche in a sea of youtubers and game focused entertainers. The style in which they produce content covers a wide spectrum. They create these extremely professional reviews, a podcast that covers news while staying relatively focused, and videos like Tales from Japan, all of which are informative. Then on the other side you have these goofy Final Bet segments, TableTop, Fiasconauts, and Easy Update. And then on top of that they have all of their streaming archives.

There's no other group of people out there doing what EZA is doing and that's a good thing.

Feep

Banned
Man I love that fiasco has turned into a regular show. Watching the current episode and it's so amazing

Feep! You did an amazing job. Blended right in and knocked it out of the park

Cobaba is amazing.
Thanks dude. = D I had a ton of fun, and the other guys made it SUPER easy to roll forward in a scene.

Cobaba is the role of a lifetime.

Mariolee

Thanks dude. = D I had a ton of fun, and the other guys made it SUPER easy to roll forward in a scene.

Cobaba is the role of a lifetime.

Holy shit Feep that was incredible. Do you know if you'll ever come back? You did not get enough credit for Jennacide.

Fiasconauts is so ace.

Deimo5

I noticed that they have the full 7 patrons at the podcast sponsor level, but the most recent one mentioned 6.
Is there a new one that has yet to reveal themselves? Or I'm missing something.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Purely based on preference yeah I align with thinking I wouldn't miss them, that said Blood a while ago made a good point about how the process of making reviews is great to keep the necessary skills sharp for other shows that require a lot of planning/production like the retrospectives. + It's undeniable that they're one of the avenues that extents the EZA audience. My thinking kind of shifted.

I was more bringing it up because in my mind I don't I have quite grasped the unique finer aspects of EZA reviews yet, well beyond the obvious things like them being read by Brandon and written by different people. Like to me there is not that much of a difference between an IGN video review/EZA/Gamespot/etc. Maybe it is my personal bias, but I feel like the format by nature has a bit of an homogenizing effect on the opinions that are shared given that they're just another shared variable(the other being the game itself) among many reviewers. I might have to check back up on that feeling.

More people than watch most of the other shows...
I've already said a lot on the subject in this thread, but again, while conversations can be great, there's a whole different process that goes into producing our reviews that can't be captured in an off-the-cuff discussion. Taking notes, writing a script, labeling all the shots, and watching it all come together is very satisfying. I really think that they're better now than they were at GT. They're enjoyed by a large portion of our audience, and they consistently raise awareness of us among new people.

That's pretty interesting to hear. From a professional perspective what are the things that EZA has improved upon review wise than before? I've proven myself a bit oblivious but nevertheless am genuinely curios.

------------------------

I guess what also spurned me wanting to bring it up was me having the time to catch up on podcasts and people like Giantbomb bringing up the shrinking importance of reviews/their value overall in the context of the now old bethesda review policy.

Feep

Banned
Holy shit Feep that was incredible. Do you know if you'll ever come back? You did bot get enough credit for Jennacide.

Fiasconauts is so ace.
I'm not sure? I think they like to keep it fresh with new guests, and the show *is* only monthly, so I'd say it'll probably be awhile if I do end up coming back.

Not that I don't want to, of course. That was fun as hell.

Karu

Ah I totally forgot about the Podcast question in regards to possible episodic structures for other franchises and I wanted to make a really important comment about it: I thought all their ideas were pretty terrible :( :D, especially the weird CoD one. Most of them didnt really captured what made Hitman work.

The question itself is super interesting , though. So thr discussion in itself was entertaining.

I noticed that they have the full 7 patrons at the podcast sponsor level, but the most recent one mentioned 6.
Is there a new one that has yet to reveal themselves? Or I'm missing something.

Payments go through at the start of the month and there were only 6 sponsors at that point. The 7th will be mentioned starting from the next podcast, after the December 1st payments go through.

I watched both Fiasconauts episodes yesterday while grinding Pokemon (mainly breeding and catching) and loved them. Great work, Feep, you were hilarious.

Speaking of Pokemon, I think Sun/Moon might be my favourite games in the series. I have my complaints (the bottom screen support in particular is a huge step backwards from ORAS) but Alola's such an awesome region and I love the way they've mixed up their super old formula by getting rid of gyms and HMs.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Anyone else feel bad for posting the same questions for L&R and Frame Trap repeatedly? I feel like I'm pestering Kyle/Ben in all honesty.

I'm totally in support of reviews, but I do wish there was more emphasis placed on getting them out for embargo (I fully understand that time is a lot tighter now). As for EZA not receiving advance copies of some games, I'm fine with those games not getting reviewed at all. I'd much rather have a review of something maybe more niche (but on-time) over a late review of a game that's already been covered to death by everyone else.

Reviews seem to be a lot of peoples' gateway to EZA, so they should stick around for that reason alone. I'd also build on what Bloodworth was saying regarding professionalism - reviews keep the crew grounded. I wouldn't like the crew to turn into a Rooster Teeth or Kinda Funny (as much as I've enjoyed those). Give me personality with my content, but don't make it unprofessional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom