• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm guessing Overwatch will win the fan vote. It seems to be the consensus multiplayer game of the year, while there are several games that will split votes from fans of single-player.

I voted for The Witness.

Are there a lot of multiplayer EZA fans? My initial take was that the EZA community is mostly made up out of PlayStation and Nintendo fans, which gives Pokemon Sun/Moon an advantage because outside of Fire Emblem, Nintendo didn't do a whole lot this year. Meanwhile PS fans are split between UC4, R&C, TLG and a number of multiplatform games (Doom, Overwatch, etc). I could be completely wrong though, it'll be fun to see.

The Last Guardian got my vote anyway.

If I could make a suggestion for next year's EZA GOTY, since it does seem to be difficult for you guys to schedule a discussion over it, why not put together a skit? Like you could do a Survivor type thing where you put your votes into a box and give your reason to the camera. Something different and fun like that, not just copying Giantbomb or whatever.

Naythan

Are there a lot of multiplayer EZA fans?

I'll say that for me, I'm not a huge multiplayer fan. However, Overwatch hooked me in a way I haven't been hooked since Counterstrike Source when I was in middle school. Something about it just pulled me in, even though I consider myself mostly a strictly single player/story-focused gamer.

Karu

It was between Pokemon and Overwatch for me. Voted for the latter. Curious what will win in the end.

Also: Somehow thought there was a chance Huber will come off from Dead Space 3 with feeling a little bit of a redemption there, being Huber and all, but... Nope. Straight up hate all over again. :D

Philippo

If you think this year is hard to pick a GOTY, just wait for next year.
Ben will probably quit the business rather than being forced to choose only one between Persona 5, Nioh, NieR, Ni no Kuni 2 and possibly Dragon Quest XI lol.

MrMette

I'm guessing Overwatch will win the fan vote. It seems to be the consensus multiplayer game of the year, while there are several games that will split votes from fans of single-player.

I voted for The Witness.
I voted for The Witness as well.
I was going to vote for Forza Horizon 3 as that is the game I enjoyed the most this year, but it is never going to win and I loved The Witness as well (although that one probably is not going to win either).

I have started FF XV, but am not far enough into it (and with the story stuff they are going to change I stopped playing it). I do love what I have played so far.

I haven't bought The Last Guardian yet although I bought my PS3 for this game, but I don't really care about it anymore after all these years. I will probably buy it when it's 50% off or something.

Overwatch is not my type of game and although I do want to try it one day, I can not get myself to splurge on it as I don't like FPS games and I don't like multiplayer games (with some exceptions).

I didn't play Uncharted 4 either. I have only played the first one a little bit and I didn't like the gunplay and stopped playing it after some hours (although this is an other game I bought my PS3 for). I did buy Uncharted 4 in a sale, so I will probably try it out at some point. I still think the Tomb Raider reboot and sequel are better games than Uncharted are (I did see let's plays of Uncharted 1-3 afterwards, so I have an idea of what the games are). I haven't seen Uncharted 4 yet. I guess because I enjoy the climbing stuff much more than the shooting and there is more climbing/open world in Tomb Raider (uncharted feels like a linear rollercoaster to me, it all feels fake, which is what I didn't like in The Last Of Us either, although I do like that game a lot more).

(edit: I haven't finished Deus Ex: Mankind Divided either (I forgot about that one). I stopped playing it because Forza Horizon 3 came out and I love the Forza games. I haven't got back to it since. I do love what I have played so far (to me this isn't an FPS game as I do it completely stealth)).

So I guess I didn't play most of the big games this year (they are just not my type of games). I think Overwatch is going to win it as well. Although people seem to be hyped about The Last Guardian at this moment, it is a PS4 exclusive and Overwatch has a much bigger audience. Although it is not my type of game, I do think Overwatch deserves to win it (and I can understand it if any of the games I mentioned win the GOTY awards).

Budi

Phew, had some catching up to do in this thread! Didn't check the thread for a week.

Also just gave my vote for Patron GOTY, it was for Xcom 2. If Witcher 3: Blood & Wine were listed, would have voted for that probably. Feels good to support Xcom 2 though, I think it's really underappreciated. It did get good reviews, but gaming community doesn't seem to care about it that much. There wasn't much hype for it, even after the fantastic Enemy Unknown and it's expansion. It doesn't seem to pop up in discussions like Uncharted, Witcher, Dark Souls or Final Fantasy does. Witcher has already been awarded with insane amount of honors and has taken it's place among the all time greats, rightfully so. So I didn't use the "other" option to type it in. I want more people to be aware of the excellence that Xcom 2 offers and maybe even try it out!

And while we are talking about Witcher. While reading the thread, Mario007 had really awesome idea for EZA to have Witcher 3 spoilercast! I support this, actually if there's enough knowledge of all the Witcher games I wouldn't mind bringing those in the discussion too. Ofcourse more focus would be put on W3 and it's expansions because of their relevance. But as B&W could be the last time we get to see Geralt or atleast play as him, talking about evolution of Witcher games and where are they now would be appropriate. Ben said he would like to talk for 8 hours about Witcher, that's all right with me. But little shorter discussion would be welcomed too! Bloodworth, I know you have things to say. Share some of that Witcher love with fellow Witcher fans. I know you love the series, but why exactly. What is it that resonates most with you in these games, who are your favorite characters, what kind of Geralt did you play, what were your choices during the game and why? So arrange some time, get together and relive Witcher in your memories.

Edit: Good example of how Xcom is overlooked by the gaming community, in 2012 Xcom won 21 Goty awards from games media. But didn't win even one award decided by readers. While Assassins Creed for example in the same year scored 10 awards from critics and 15 from readers, Far Cry got 25 by critics and 26 by readers.

Maligna

Banned
I had to unsub. Wife is quiting job to go back to school so I'll be sole source of income. Feels bad, man.

Had to stop giving to Red Cross every month too. Gotta make sure I can cover our bills first.

Mikey Jr.

Not sure what happened over the last 24 hours, but their patreon got a massive boost.

They jumped up +150 patrons and close to $1000.

Must have been some blip before on patreon.

Anyways, having said that, the month is not even half over and they have the highest patreon count since start. Kinda crazy that we are reaching the 1 year mark and they are still maintaining such growth.

Not sure what happened over the last 24 hours, but their patreon got a massive boost.

Anyways, having said that, the month is not even half over and they have the highest patreon count since start. Kinda crazy that we are reaching the 1 year mark and they are still maintaining such growth.

I'm cautious about the boost. I'm not sure if it was due to a correction or an error in their systems, but it doesn't seem to correlate to an actual influx of new patrons and every Patreon has gotten a similar jump.

Wiggy

I think we all know who to thank for the boost...
aU59Fhw.jpg

I'll say that for me, I'm not a huge multiplayer fan. However, Overwatch hooked me in a way I haven't been hooked since Counterstrike Source when I was in middle school. Something about it just pulled me in, even though I consider myself mostly a strictly single player/story-focused gamer.

Sorry, what I meant is if there's a decent sized EZA Overwatch community. I know Brad played it a ton because that's all he'd talk about on Frame Trap for months (j/k Brad), so I wouldn't be surprised if there was one.

I finished The Last Guardian last night and damn, I think I might like that game even more than I did Ico and Shadow of the Colossus and those two are in my favourite games of all time category. The thing I'm most blown away by is Trico's AI and animations, they're on a whole different level from everything else I've seen this gen (though FFXV is pretty fantastic on the animation side too).

I watched the review straight after and great job, Blood and Brandon. Loved how you mentioned and showed the playful side of Trico, I think those moments were some of my favourite parts of the game. Well, that and when Trico picks you up and throws you on her back, cause she's got shit to do and she's not going to sit around waiting for you. It's ICO all over again but this time, we're Yorda.

cm osi

Sorry, what I meant is if there's a decent sized EZA Overwatch community. I know Brad played it a ton because that's all he'd talk about on Frame Trap for months (j/k Brad), so I wouldn't be surprised if there was one.
hopefully he's on the next FT so we'll get some Nier Opinion!

Axass

So, Blood said they have 12 nominees for GOTY, here's my guess:

- Overwatch (everyone loved it)
- Dark Souls 3 (huge fans)
- Uncharted 4 (Huber, Brad and Jones)
- The Witness (Kyle and Ian)
- Inside (Ian)
- Doom (Ben and Ian)
- FFXV (Ben and Brad)
- The Last Guardian (Blood)
- Pokémon Sun and Moon (Kyle and Jones)
- Dishonored 2 (they all went from indifference to love on this one)
- Battlefield 1 (Huber and Brad)
- Owlboy (Blood) / Titanfall 2 (Huber and Jones)

Bosman

GUILTY videogame man

- Inside (Ian)
- Doom (Ben and Ian)
- FFXV (Ben and Brad)

Whoa

wiibomb

I don't think Bosman loves overwatch...

I think he respects, it, but doesn't specifically love it, I wouldn't go as far a saying he even likes it

- Inside (Ian)
- Doom (Ben and Ian)
- FFXV (Ben and Brad)

It's hard to remember everything over the entire year but Kyle did a Bosman @ Home episode on UC4 and said he adores TLG on BvW, while Ben seemed like he was loving Pokemon.

It'll be interesting to hear what Ian thinks of TLG (if he's played it). On the one hand, it seems right up his alley, on the other, I could see him endlessly complaining about the controls/camera.

Also, I hope we see more obscure games in there, like Dragon Quest Builders or Yakuza 5, over typical picks like Battlefield 1.

Edit: Wait, Yakuza 5 came out last year, I just spent most of January playing it...

- Inside (Ian)
- Doom (Ben and Ian)
- FFXV (Ben and Brad)

Going by this list, I have a feeling they'd narrow it down to Uncharted 4, FFXV, The Last Guardian, Overwatch, and The Witness. Their actual goty pick is a real toss up for me.

Szeth

You know you guys can make a produced video for GOTY and still record and release the debates afterwards, people would still be interested even after knowing what won... alright I'll get over it and hope for next year.

At least it sounds like it wasn't a heated debate like last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom