• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring 2 or Dark Souls 4-- Which one would you prefer to be made?

Which one?

• Total voters

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I'm playing Elden Ring DLC atm. They've made another huge map, and I'm tired of running through empty areas for minutes while trying to see what's in the corners, placing dozens of markers on the map and going to each one like a postman. I can't figure out how strong I need to be for each area, and I don't like that the game leaves this up to me. Sometimes I feel too weak, sometimes I feel op. Don't get me wrong, this game is also great—the weapons, locations, and enemies are fantastic, the gameplay mechanics are excellent, and they've significantly improved the repetitive dungeons from the main game, but I think I can't handle such large maps anymore. I think I prefer the older Souls formula. I want a linear adventure like in the older Souls games. And preferably, it would be nice if it could be completed in 40 hours.

Judging by the sales, it looks like we'll see Elden Ring 2, but which one would you prefer to be made?

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
e8fa3a3e010f0ab60c85e03af6f9460bf2008577a3078d172c4bb903891b3022_1.jpg

GrayChild

Something brand new, with a more 19th century goth vibe. Or steampunk.

If I have to choose between ER2 and DS4, I'd say DS4. While Elden Ring is still one of my favorite games of all time, I prefer the smaller scale of their previous works.

Pimpollo818

Obviously Dark Souls 4. I disliked the decision to go for an overworld. Like the OP, I find most of it to be largely "I need to get through this to get to the actual hand crafted levels/dungeons."

Now if they made the open world ITSELF perilous to explore, then we're cooking, but they didn't deliver that with Elden Ring. If they made an overworld that felt dangerous like that of STALKER's, then we'd be talking. But like OP, I feel boredom creep in in the overworld, boredom never creeps in when I'm exploring an interior/ dungeon

JMZ555

Sekiro, Bloodborne, Demon/Dark, Elden.......

I'd be happy with not jumping straight into a a Elden ring 2 and would be ok with a Bloodborne 2.

But I'd love a mix of Sci-fi horror but doubt they will do that.

Holammer

How about neither, same with Bloodborne or Sekiro (your poll has been found wanting!).
FROM should do a soulslike with a more positive vibe & setting for once. With towns and interesting NPCs. The copy/paste dying world and dark melancholy shtick is getting old. I want burly Dwarves and pretty Elves, busty innkeepers and guilds. Have the player being an isekai'd soul, perfect for a fish out of water narrative.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Didn't they make Elden Ring, at least in part, because they wanted to expand the premise of Dark Souls? I doubt they're going back to be honest.

I picked ER2 if I had to but honestly I'd prefer something knew. Definitely not Dark Souls 4 though I know that much. Even trying to play Demon Souls I turned it off because it just felt like more Dark Souls and after 3 I've had enough.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I really enjoy both of those and would be happy for either but I’d prefer a new Demons Souls or Kings Field.
We already got sequel/successor to that game and thats Dark Souls.....that game is literally follow up to Demon's Souls.

Bernardougf

Between the 2 choices definitely DS4 ... I simply dont get tired of the classic dark souls formula and even not so great games like Lords of the fallen feels better to me than Elden Ring ... I respect immensely all that From did with ER.. but i wont be buying ER2 ... Ill buy two copies of DS4 and donate one if they go back to classic souls.

Btw.. Sekiro 2 would be better.. lol

Danjin44

Different world. I get the thought though. Successor for sure but not a sequel. I want the 6th archstone!
But it just gonna be Dark Souls 4, they gonna put they improvements they did with Dark Souls series to "Demons Souls 2".

I dont think FROM interested going back to Demons Souls.

Švejk

Banned
Anything but ER 2. Game was big enough to account for 2 installments even before the dlc.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

I'm glad he put any chances of a sequel to bed. I don't think it needs a 2nd or 4th game.

Something new or Sekiro would be better, the latter has a legitimate hook for continuation after all.

Trogdor1123

But it just gonna be Dark Souls 4, they gonna put they improvements they did with Dark Souls series to "Demons Souls 2".

I dont think FROM interested going back to Demons Souls.
No, you are totally right, sadly.

I’d just like the “rest” of the story. It’s not happening though.

bender

What time is it?
Neither. I think the Souls series needs a break. I'm almost done with Shadow of the Erdtree and while I have a laundry list of niggles, the most damning thing about the game is that it fails to surprise me, and worse yet, it's so easy to predict what is going to happen next because all of FromSoftware's design tropes are getting a little long in the tooth.

I'm in the minority on gaf but I HATE Elden ring. The open world/"exploration" completely ruins what makes the other souls games great. It's the worst FROM game by far and the only one I couldn't bring myself to finish. So if they go ER2, zero chance I ever play it.

I would be day 1 on Dark souls 4, Sekiro 2 or my most wanted BB2.

Danjin44

I'm glad he put any chances of a sequel to bed. I don't think it needs a 2nd or 4th game.

Something new or Sekiro would be better, the latter has a legitimate hook for continuation after all.
Yes that Return the Dragon ending is basically perfect set up for sequel.

Kurotri

I love From's games as much as the next guy but Miyazaki really outdid himself with Elden Ring imo. I've had times where I was laying in bed but my mind was fucking racing about the game instead of trying to sleep. It's special. So imma have to go with ER 2.

Bernardougf

I'm in the minority on gaf but I HATE Elden ring. The open world/"exploration" completely ruins what makes the other souls games great. It's the worst FROM game by far and the only one I couldn't bring myself to finish. So if they go ER2, zero chance I ever play it.

I would be day 1 on Dark souls 4, Sekiro 2 or my most wanted BB2.
You are not alone my friend. There are dozens of us.. I say dozens!

Top Bottom