• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

The comparisons to BOTW kind of make sense, but not in terms of polish. I know about the souls (and soulslike) games, but haven't really played one through myself mostly due to not having a playstation (or an xbox for that matter) So I thought I would give this a try, and I'm sorry, and maybe it's part of the charm for some people, but this game is mega jank to me. Now, it's a good game so far, don't get me wrong, great atmosphere and enemies and all that and there seems like a lot to explore, but if I compare it to another recent game that was console only that came to PC like God of War, Elden Ring just feels a little off. Still, I'll play it, if I played through Gothic I can play through this.

FunkMiller

So, I jumped on Torrent and just headed east to see what I could see, and ended up in a gigantic area called
Greyoll's Dragonbarrow, which is full of dragons the size of the boss one in the marsh in the network test. I'm dodging all of them just to get further along when I spy a dragon corpse the size of a mountain in the distance. I rode towards it wanting to get a good look at it, to admire how cool it looked,

AND THE FUCKING THING MOVED.

This game, man. This fucking game.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Gotta love those From vistas...especially in ultrawide.

us56Nf7.jpg

kCCFoMM.jpg

After running around Limgrave leveling up a bunch I just beat Margit on my first try using the dogs.

My strategy was to get him to his second phase, and then immediately summon the dogs to harass him and serve as a distraction since that's when he goes hyper-aggressive. I'd recommend anyone struggling with him try it.

Pejo

So I rerolled (about 20 times) as Samurai and finally killed the tutorial boss. Was it worth all the hassle? Not really. But now I know that fight like the back of my hand. (and got something cool for my troubles)

It only took me about 2 hours to get everything I already had on my first character, so now I'm in all uncharted territory. Decided to explore as you guys in the thread have been talking about, jesus there's some real danger in this world. That's always my #1 complaint about most open world games, there's just no danger. It's interesting how they give the toughest baddies a move specifically to knock your ass off of your horse. Let's just say I had a few bad run-ins with some bears.

When you find the guy that asks you to take his castle back, do you have to kill everyone inside or just that gold knight with the bloodsword? I got to him and lost after slowly clearing the castle just a few minutes ago, and don't want to do all of that over again if I can just run to him and kill him.

Madflavor

Gold Member
Having experience 20 hours of Elden Ring so far, beating the main Limgrave boss, doing as much exploration as possible, and seeing what some other areas have to offer, it's hilarious to me that some people aren't impressed with the game. It redefines and pushes the Open World genre into what it should be.

I think just like Dark Souls, just like Bloodborne, and just like Sekiro, there are some players who aren't being grabbed in the beginning, and there's going to be an adjustment period for them. The combat of Elden Ring is like Dark Souls, but also a bit fast paced like Sekiro. On top of that this game is massive, open, and doesn't explain much to you, so it can be overwhelming. It might click with some people right away, while others may need time to process it.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
So….found a random elevator earlier. Rode it down into the most beautiful area I’ve ever seen in a FromSoft game. No big deal.

Pretty sure I just experienced the same tonight. I explored that place, and my mind could not absorb this much awesomeness and sublime level design with so much vertically

mind blow wow GIF

ssringo

Is it smith or the starting anvil? Anvil only goes to +3. Do you have correct smithing stone? [number] dictates how much you can upgrade
sonuva...

I had found a whetstone that unlocked affinity upgrading (eventually) and figured I missed the one for higher smithing. Forgot about the actual smith. Instantly went from +3 to +7 and killed boss Godrick immediately afterwards.

Though you can't get much closer than this...

Oo0tmqb.jpg

Dr. Claus

Banned
Just hit the 10 hour mark. Having a total blast with this game. There have been a few times I've felt kinda frustrated, but that's just the game's way of telling me I need to go somewhere else and explore something else to get stronger. My Samurai is level 40, almost full points into dexterity. I can kill those stormhill giant guys in like 10 hits (sometimes less with crits) which makes them pretty easy to farm for 1,000 runes each (sometimes they randomly give 5,000?).

Beat two "main" bosses. 10 or so mini bosses. Beat the dragon in the lake by the starting area. Not really sure where I'm "supposed" to be going next, but I'm having fun exploring.
Enemies with yellow eyes will drop more runes.

kikkis

I thought they got rid of boss runs? Elevator including boss run for trick boss and magic using boss is not good for my patience.

kikkis

I am not sure, but its basically smithing stone [number] and every 3 levels you need higher smithing stone, like sword from +3 to +6 is smithing stone [2].

Hinedorf

Banned
I think I hit a certain plateau with my Confessor. I beat Margit today and stopped there and have since spent hours just free roaming unlocking waypoints. I feel like I'm almost ready for any challenge at this point just trying to unlock the map first.

kevm3

Feels like they put in Sekiro quick and aggressive bosses but saddled the player with Souls methodical mechanics. Super juicy combo strings with optional delays makes parrying brutal. And of course they love dashing out of range as soon as their combo is done.

I planned to go big boy 2h strength but it's so frustrating trying find openings to punish even with a faster 1h.
Yea I have no idea how viable a strength build will be in this one if most of the en

kevm3

This game has the best world overall that I've seen in a game. Just got out of the other side of these crystal tunnels and it's a completely different world. This blows away any other game I've played in terms of exploration. I remember square saying how difficult it was to build hd towns, so how From built this world is beyond me. So much to explore and everything is unique.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Found random underground chest. Turns out it teleports you across the map to this higher level area and this place will kick your ass.

Also came across this smaller beach with this tough enemy (basically a miniboss) and beating him gives you this cool purple gravity skill.

I did manage to play the game last night.

FromSoft needs to hire better tech people because the game feels a bit choppy on PS5 even on Performance mode. The feel is noticeable after playing DS3 and Sekiro on PS5.

So I rerolled (about 20 times) as Samurai and finally killed the tutorial boss. Was it worth all the hassle? Not really. But now I know that fight like the back of my hand. (and got something cool for my troubles)

It only took me about 2 hours to get everything I already had on my first character, so now I'm in all uncharted territory. Decided to explore as you guys in the thread have been talking about, jesus there's some real danger in this world. That's always my #1 complaint about most open world games, there's just no danger. It's interesting how they give the toughest baddies a move specifically to knock your ass off of your horse. Let's just say I had a few bad run-ins with some bears.

When you find the guy that asks you to take his castle back, do you have to kill everyone inside or just that gold knight with the bloodsword? I got to him and lost after slowly clearing the castle just a few minutes ago, and don't want to do all of that over again if I can just run to him and kill him.
Nice to see a fellow Monster Hunter seeking the Elden Ring

5-E4-A1-D97-A929-4103-A63-A-908-CE271-BA10.png
I’ve been killing this omen ogre for over an hour trying to get the omen cleaver

Finally got it, now I have to decide if I want to raise my dex to 16 to use it

It’s beastly looking, found a way to cheese the omen ogre so he couldn’t hit me. Definitely a souls game hah

Edit:

Last edited:

Hestar69

who ever decided to put Mad Tongue Alberich in the game I hope BAD,VERY BAD THINGS happen to them.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!

What did you get for doing that :d

Pejo

What did you get for doing that :d
A straight sword that turns into 2 dual wield swords when you 2 hand it, and a tower shield (the one that the boss uses). The swords have a unique skill that enchant them with a gold light and they get a new moveset for the duration of the enchantment. They're not particularly strong and the scaling is ass, at +0 at least.

Y0ssarian

Banned
I have a question because I haven't started yet. Do you have like an equivalent to humanity in this game? If you die, do you need an item to recover your humanity (or equivalent) and be in human form again? Thanks

GinSama

Im still waiting for my collectors edition from The game collection. 😔

I’m really ready to buy the digital version since I’m pretty much sure it will come only Monday now.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The enemy designs are awesome. I went southeast on the map and wow there are some crazy, crazy enemies. Luckily, I can just ride past them, I couldn't imagine playing without the horse.

One strange thing. I got to a tower that had three levels and you could climb a ladder to get to the next level. I climbed up the ladder and stopped short of the ledge and two enemies fell off safely to the ground below. I climbed up quickly thinking they would be right behind me climbing back up themselves, but they never did. They just stayed on the ground by the ladder. Same thing happened on the next level. Has anyone seen enemies climb ladders?
I did. They climbed in the castle on the south

Done 3 bosses for trophies, Margit, Godrick and some very easy one down south. Also done a bunch of cave bosses etc and the tree sentinel which was very easy on horseback.

Where’s the best route to go after Godrick?

Top Bottom