• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

I beat the Draconic Tree Sentinel!!

Finally! He was the biggest roadblock for me since Margit and Godrick. On top of that I killed him on my first try today. Hell yeah!

Perseverance did pay off in the end. No cheese tactics in this fight, I leveled up to a point where I can survive the hardest hits and learned the pattens of this boss. Evading the fireballs and lightningbolts became easy and I knew not to stand on his way when he does the bing hammer strike as well as run for my life when he does the AOE lightning attack. The mimic tear which I just acquired was quite helpful for drawing away his attention while I chip away a third of his health.

I also made sure to heal Torrent whenever he took a hit. But as I reduced the sentinel’s health down to around 15%, he managed to knock out Torrent with the big wave of red sparks. Luckily there was enough distance between us for me to recover, stand up, and heal myself before a fireball decimates me. I rolled forward, barely evading it, and saw the sentinel prepare his large AOE move that rains down lightning bolts all around him. Had I decided to summon Torrent again, I would have died. Instead I decided to finish this fight on foot. I rushed to close what remained of the distance between us and used the Bloodhound’s Finesse to deal a serious blow. Only one more hit needed... and two seconds at most to pull it off before the lightning hits me (since I rolled backwards). Calmly, I pressed R2 to do the follow-up attack of Bloodhound’s Finesse. I dashed forward like a ghost and dealt the coup de grace. It was over. The fearsome Sentinel disintegrated into the air like the countless enemies before him. What a relief! Finally. I beat him with my stats, my skill, and some luck. What a memorable gaming moment and another highlight of this outstanding game.

So I arrived at Leyndell. What a magnificent sight... and what a good farming spot lol. I’m level 93, it should be enough to clear this dungeon. I’m really proud of my progress in the last week.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
60yn83nmt4b91.png

It still kills me how my eight grade Latin class made me immediately read "Caelid" as "Caelum" in my head - which essentially means "Heaven".

So it can be surmised that at one point in time this land was like Eden. Japanese creators always find a way to creatively turn things on their heads - so to speak. I doubt this was a coincidence.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Thanks to all of you for your advice/help and reactions. Makes me feel I don't post into an endless void!

It's all good, I like seeing people progress through these games and I like helping where I can, keep it coming if you like

Greatsword and lion's claw is a great combination, lion's claw never gets old so I bet you are having a good time with it

Thanks brother. You know, I can look up everything on YouTube or Fextralife but this feels more like talking with friends although that may sound strange (which I am lol)

I'm having a blast with that combo Soodanim Soodanim It's fast, powerful and feels awesome to boot haha

I got the rock throwing incantion from that beast dude. Very helpful and looks and feels awesome. I missed the critical talisman and now I've died 3 times during the crate section. I could use the rock throw at that asshat glintstone caster. And made my way down only to gotten gangbanged by those freaky crawlers.

That wooden platform where that asshat glintstone caster resides is an item.. need to look how to get there. But first things first; critical talisman!

AU6U6uN.jpg
xYwhinp.jpg

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
It still kills me how my eight grade Latin class made me immediately read "Caelid" as "Caelum" in my head - which essentially means "Heaven".

So it can be surmised that at one point in time this land was like Eden. Japanese creators always find a way to creatively turn things on their heads - so to speak. I doubt this was a coincidence.

Interesting......

In the occult there's a lot of up is down. As above so below. Bad is good. Etc Maybe that's also intertwined in the lore. Because I faintly remember reading those Fingers are bad while for a long time you're under the impression they stand for the good (purpose of your quest)

anyways

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
I feel like I’m on the finishing stretch.

I am almost through Haligtree. Not much left in the Shunning Grounds. Have compelted every boss and dungeon I have found in the overworld.

Soon will be time to commit the cardinal sin. Don’t really want this journey to end.

Is there any point in NG+?

Soodanim

Is there any point in NG+?
Not much of one. If you want to clean up trophies it's useful, because you can bee line to whatever you need to do. But that aside, if you did a full exploration then you won't need to do it again, which just leaves major bosses so it turns into a speed run of getting to the end. I found it annoying to clutter up the inventory with duplicates of items and ashes.

I recommend checking either the wiki before you go into NG+ so you can go round collecting what you missed while you can, there will probably some little place somewhere. Fextralife has an interactive map so you can compare which dungeons appear on your one. If you unlock the upgrade materials Bell bearings, they (since a patch) stay unlocked, which makes like easier.

Before you go into NG+ (you get offered it when you finish, don't worry) I recommend picking a new build and preparing that. Change up your weapons and do the upgrades you need to, then go to Rennala to respec. If you want to breeze through big enemies, I recommend double colossal weapons. Double Giant Crushers will stagger things you didn't know could be staggered, or there's dual twin blades that inflict status at an incredible rate, with the jumping L1 hitting 2 times per weapon. Go bleed and frost and watch the life bars fall.

You can also go round to the walking mausoleums and duplicate some boss Souls, but if you are doing NG+ you might find yourself doing them all again anyway so that's optional.

Once you've finished the game, there's a farming method in case you want/need it. If you haven't seen it, don't look it up. Instead, let me know and I'll tell you which weapon to get from the last boss soul, because it will be funnier if the first time you see it in action is at the farming spot.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Not much of one. If you want to clean up trophies it's useful, because you can bee line to whatever you need to do. But that aside, if you did a full exploration then you won't need to do it again, which just leaves major bosses so it turns into a speed run of getting to the end. I found it annoying to clutter up the inventory with duplicates of items and ashes.

I recommend checking either the wiki before you go into NG+ so you can go round collecting what you missed while you can, there will probably some little place somewhere. Fextralife has an interactive map so you can compare which dungeons appear on your one. If you unlock the upgrade materials Bell bearings, they (since a patch) stay unlocked, which makes like easier.

Before you go into NG+ (you get offered it when you finish, don't worry) I recommend picking a new build and preparing that. Change up your weapons and do the upgrades you need to, then go to Rennala to respec. If you want to breeze through big enemies, I recommend double colossal weapons. Double Giant Crushers will stagger things you didn't know could be staggered, or there's dual twin blades that inflict status at an incredible rate, with the jumping L1 hitting 2 times per weapon. Go bleed and frost and watch the life bars fall.

You can also go round to the walking mausoleums and duplicate some boss Souls, but if you are doing NG+ you might find yourself doing them all again anyway so that's optional.

Once you've finished the game, there's a farming method in case you want/need it. If you haven't seen it, don't look it up. Instead, let me know and I'll tell you which weapon to get from the last boss soul, because it will be funnier if the first time you see it in action is at the farming spot.

Thanks so much for the insightful and elaborate reply!

This sounds like a good extension to how I have been playing. I basically played blind as long as I could, without a Game Progress Route. I managed to find quite a few areas after stopping at the Cardinal Sin choice.

Cleaning up with a map will be a great extension. I have an island or two which I simply can’t figure our how to get to them. Exploring the last stuff will also help in OPing Astel Stars of Darkness which is still on my to-do list.

Also need to check out the achievement guide.

Chittagong

Gold Member
So having exhausted everything I can think of before committing the Cardinal Sin, I checked which boss achievements I am still missing. Turns out I have 8 bosses to beat still, incredible :D

FqhGyI1.jpg

DelireMan7

So having exhausted everything I can think of before committing the Cardinal Sin, I checked which boss achievements I am still missing. Turns out I have 8 bosses to beat still, incredible :D

FqhGyI1.jpg
Haha. This game is never ending ^^

Most of them are hidden/optional bosses

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Cleared out Yelough Anix Tunnel last night but checked up and saw I misses some stones. Did a rerun just now and got everything including that alabaster lord's sword!!

Now I see I'm missing Meteorite from Astel but I guess that a drop from it's boss. Which I tried once on died (duh)

Btw I killed all 4 bellfries. Nothing happens..Yes. No?

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
I thought why not

8ptP5Ne.jpg
tIsRd0l.jpg
Sweet!

Is there any benefit in upgrading the shield? I have never upgraded my shields in the souls games as it does seem to only improve their offence, which I never use. I just roll with a 100 Physical shield with as much of other defences as possible.

DelireMan7

Sweet!

Is there any benefit in upgrading the shield? I have never upgraded my shields in the souls games as it does seem to only improve their offence, which I never use. I just roll with a 100 Physical shield with as much of other defences as possible.
I can't be 100% affirmative for Elden Rince since I haven't mess around with shield yet but in others Souls game upgrading shield is usually increasing the "Stability" (or whatever it's called) basically reducing the amount of Stamina you need to block attacks.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Sweet!

Sweet right?

To be fair. I hardly upgraded my shields in the previous games; maybe a favorite to +5 or so but that's it. When I saw I could max out this one is was like fuck it why not haha

I can't be 100% affirmative for Elden Rince since I haven't mess around with shield yet but in others Souls game upgrading shield is usually increasing the "Stability" (or whatever it's called) basically reducing the amount of Stamina you need to block attacks.

That's seems logical indeed..
Have a feeling that's a big part of it =)

Sweet!

Thanks for bringing this up, I don’t upgrade my shields because I don’t use them for attacking, but the replies above taught me something new. No wonder I lose a lot of stamina when blocking and get stunned sometimes. Now I’m gonna put those extra smithing stones to good use.

I’m exploring Leyndell and what an incredible dungeon this is. So many beautiful places with a lot of details when it comes to interior furniture. And there’s such a large variety in enemies, some of which are really nasty like the knights. I don’t mind enemies from previous areas being reused because their presence makes sense, like the tree avatar and the omen fat guys with big swords. There’s also some really nice surprises like that location that is exactly the same as another locations players are very familiar with. I like that tension that comes with knowing that anything could jump at me in the next room or corridor. Finding sites of graces is always a big relief. I think this is going to be my favorite legacy dungeon.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Astel fight is awesome looking but when he spawns his brethren....

Need a read

ATT I'm guessing when he's at 50%

I have feeling hitting those 3 yellow sacks will hurt him badly

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Soodanim Soodanim

"If you want to make some Silver Feet, by far the best place to farm the feet is in Caelid at the bonfire next to the bridge and tower leading up to a fort. Right next to where you warp in there's a big tree, and behind that there's 3 birds. If you position yourself correctly you can get all 3 birds with a Hoarfrost Stomp, and because you're so close to the bonfire you can do so many runs so quickly that you'll be able to use Silver Feet to earn more feet at a really good rate. Put on some arcane boosting clothing if you want extra luck while you farm."

Doing this at 6 in the morning lmao Works like charm🐧

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Been following this thread from the beginning. Had a ton of time to play early on (thanks covid quarantine) but then I returned to work, had a coworker knocked out with a nasty injury, and have been working almost 80 hours a week since mid-April. We also have a staffing shortage here.

It's awesome seeing people make progress and I wish I was doing the same. Haven't played in two weeks but I know exactly where I am, what's in my inventory and I think about this game daily. Can't wait to return. Figured I'd have beaten it long ago.

Mark of a good game I think.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Whats that's expression about living (gaming) through someone else? :)

I feel for you brother! 💗

I'm going to do some other stuff before heading back to Astel. Currently busy with the dung eater quest line.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Astel fight is awesome looking but when he spawns his brethren....
That particular grab has killed me so many times that I learned the tell:
Usually when he teleports there's a particle effect showing the direction that he's moving in, but when he's disappearing for the grab there's no particles. It's been a long time since I've done that fight, but I don't know if there's a way to avoid the grab other than dodging. At least you know it's coming now.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Me too man. Such a dick move.

I was counting his teleports. Think it was on his 5th those pricks came. Could dodgeroll away but only had 1 bloodflask left. Got him to 60^ down and died. I'll come back later after clearing the "normal" snowfield. Didn't notice the particle part. Will keep it in mind. Oh it IS the tell. Nice. Merci!

Last edited:

Soodanim

I'm at the stage of Elden Ring that I reached in Dark Souls 1. That stage is "What super specific builds can I make?" I like to play with weapons that have a uniqueness in some way and can be obtained early enough.

First up is a simple one: Nagakiba with Bloodflame casting. Tempted to combine this with a pyro build I was planning, it will overcome the shortcomings of both.

I've also not summoned anything at all so far, and it made me realise I've never really beaten Margit. His combos in the second stage are a pain.

I'm still not a fan of the input lag in ER, it feels different to other From games. I wonder how much of that is because I use SpecialK, which only works in borderless windowed. I'm used to dodging at the very last moment, but I'm usually too late by a couple frames. Will have to do some testing. I've also grown to dislike the input queuing, it will make you roll when you don't want to and is effectively a stun lock. I've had more deaths to that than anything when it comes to fighting bosses.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I applaud your enthusiasm and organic creativnes you crave. I'm very very sure there are many like you in this way.

Just saying.

Hmmm, to further dung eater's questline I have to go to Farum Azula. The remaining blood turds are there.

So first I will do normal and hidden snowfield and then look how to get there. :)

Also something something Haligtree which is an area I guess?

Whatever.

Also. What so you guys think works better. The enchantment enhancer talisman or armor.with higher magic protection... Its the Talisman yes?

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Finally. Borealis the freezing fog is no more. Took me 4 tries and 22 bolluses (even the last one) to murder him.

He does a lot of damage imo. Leaves small windows for head hits. Cant stay long under/besides him.

Really had to keep my patience and timing in check. Sigh. Shit's done. Relief. Lmao.

Last edited:

mansoor1980

Really? just roll? That sounds it requires actual skill unlike keeping my finger glued to L1
i dumped the shield after 20 hours or so , two handed gives you more damage output and keeps things simple.
also why would you use the shield for melania? she steals life with every hit even if blocked

Chittagong

Gold Member
i dumped the shield after 20 hours or so , two handed gives you more damage output and keeps things simple.
also why would you use the shield for melania? she steals life with every hit even if blocked

I finally nailed Astel Stars of Darkness with the tank shield 🤷‍♂️

But yeah, I can see how DPS is the point for Malenia. I may try to find the DPS talisman to go with two handing.

Made it to the second stage on my first go. Basically need to get her to a stagger loop and get lucky with none of the orb attacks being dealt out

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Finally had some time to play yesterday. Clearing the Altus Plateau, just one little area of it left. Beat a couple of field bosses and the dragon Lansseax. That was a pretty fun fight. I'm still rubbish at fighting dragons on foot, but with Torrent I've beat them all my first or second attempt.

Managed to move Millicent's quest forward by clearing the Shaded Castle (fuck that place) and Windmill Village. Jesus the Godskin Apostle is SO much easier in an open space and I couldn't believe I could use Torrent for this fight! The previous Apostle I'd beaten was the one way down under the tower in Caelid/Dragonbarrow where you fight him in a tiny hallway. Had to really learn his move set and even had to pop a Rune Arc for that one although I realize I was probably underlevelled. Got him first try on Torrent and it almost felt like I cheesed it.

A side note - during my time in the Shaded Castle I learned through a fluke the secret to beating a certain, extremely annoying recurring enemy: by using the Heal incantation. If that's common knowledge, my bad, but I was fucking amazed. I can elaborate if anyone want's to know about this.

From Windmill Village I accidentally snuck into the Capital Outskirts the back way, passed four catapults. Cut through it pretty fast to get the map fragment before exploring. Turns out the Twin Tree Sentinels, who I'd been waiting to deal with, are much more manageable when attacked from behind. Got them down first go but it was touch and go. I think the difference is not having to fight them on stairs and instead in the open plaza they're guarding.

So now I'm about to clear the low-lying, forested part of the Altus Plateau and after that I need to decide - press on into Mt. Gelmir or clear the Capital Outskirts and push into Leyndell itself. I also need to go underground and finish the fight with Blaidd for Ranni which I abandoned because I was underlevelled. Not sure how to progress with Millicent either but hopefully that will be evident eventually. Also never let Fia hug me but I've heard a lot about her quest in this thread and it seems pretty major so I'm debating rolling the dice on that one, it just seems like it might have some ramifications for the ending. Oh I found Goldmask too so I probably need to hook Corhyn up with him as well. Today I have time as well (its 108F here) so should be another busy Elden Ring day.

Sorry for the ramble/stream of consciousness but not too bad a start after nearly three weeks away from the game! Currently sitting at 116 hours played, level 99, with a FTH/DEX build that's really starting to work well. Guess I'm pretty slow. So, so good to be back.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Just beat the two Crucible Knights in the Hero's Grave in the Outskirts.

Tough duo. Very challenging. Took me 45 minutes to an hour. Lost 30k souls going in without knowing who the boss was. Finally beat it! ... 28k souls reward?

Seems like a minuscule reward for the challenge. Even that long-necked guy pretending to be Margit in the Outskirts dropped 25k.

At least those fuckers are finished with though, praise the sun.

DelireMan7

A side note - during my time in the Shaded Castle I learned through a fluke the secret to beating a certain, extremely annoying recurring enemy: by using the Heal incantation. If that's common knowledge, my bad, but I was fucking amazed. I can elaborate if anyone want's to know about this.
I never tried yet but a merchant sells you a note that gives this tips. I really like the concept of notes to buy that reveal some tips or secret.

Managed to move Millicent's quest forward by clearing the Shaded Castle (fuck that place) and Windmill Village. Jesus the Godskin Apostle is SO much easier in an open space and I couldn't believe I could use Torrent for this fight! The previous Apostle I'd beaten was the one way down under the tower in Caelid/Dragonbarrow where you fight him in a tiny hallway. Had to really learn his move set and even had to pop a Rune Arc for that one although I realize I was probably underlevelled. Got him first try on Torrent and it almost felt like I cheesed it.
The Godskin apostle in Caelid is brutal. Anyway all of the Dragonbarrow region is brutal.
Having an open field helps in the Windmill but by default this Godskin apostle is much easier (less HP and deal less damage) than the one in Caelid.

Well done for Millicent quest, it's the one who gave me trouble (I missed her spot in Altus plateau so toward the end of the game I had to check on Wiki to find her).
I think (not 100% sure) you can proceed without worrying too much for now and should find her later again.

Fia is related to interesting quests. If I understand well what you did, you probably (maybe it can be done without hugging Fia actually) missed the first one (the Black Knife which is also linked to Ranni's one). I think you can still do the other which will unlock a variation of an ending.
I like how the different quest and NPCs intertwine with each other in this game compare to previous Souls games where each NPC follow its personal quest without much interaction.

Nice progress for you !

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Gold Member
I never tried yet but a merchant sells you a note that gives this tips. I really like the concept of notes to buy that reveal some tips or secret.
Yeah I kind of scoffed at those from the start for some reason and now I'm considering going back just to see how cool stuff I missed out on. Neat idea for sure.
The Godskin apostle in Caelid is brutal. Anyway all of the Dragonbarrow region is brutal.
Having an open field helps in the Windmill but by default this Godskin apostle is much easier (less HP and deal less damage) than the one in Caelid.
Ah gotcha, definitely fought them out of sequence I guess. I thought Dragonbarrow was Caelid so after clearing the south (the part that actually is Caelid), I just kinda kept trucking through Dragonbarrow, determined to clear the whole region in one go so I never would have to return. Explains why those wolf guys/boss in that cave and that fucking bear were one-shotting me. Ditto for that fort/dragon queen. I noticed the difficulty spike but I was like ... I've heard people talk about Caelid, I'm supposed to be here, and kept going. Now I feel silly.
Fia is related to interesting quests. If I understand well what you did, you probably (maybe it can be done without hugging Fia actually) missed the first one (the Black Knife which is also linked to Ranni's one). I think you can still do the other which will unlock a variation of an ending.
I like how the different quest and NPCs intertwine with each other in this game compare to previous Souls games where each NPC follow its personal quest without much interaction.
So uh ... about Fia. I let her hold me. Started her quest. And it turns out I've done stuff so out of order I had everything I needed for it. I finished it in about 90 minutes. The only part that held me up was figuring out to give D the knife. I talk to all NPCs every time I return to the Roundtable anyway to see if dialogue has changed so it didn't take too long.

I was angry at a poster here for spoiling that D had a brother in Siofra like three months ago. Then when I got the Twinned armor I was like ohhhh that was a very useful spoiler. I like the way the quest ended.

Quests in Elden Ring are way easier to figure out than in Souls, or more lenient I guess is a better way to say it. Something like the Siegward quest in DS3 I still fail even though I know what order to do stuff in. Its cool From made the order of events a little more lax than in the past.

DelireMan7

Ah gotcha, definitely fought them out of sequence I guess. I thought Dragonbarrow was Caelid so after clearing the south (the part that actually is Caelid), I just kinda kept trucking through Dragonbarrow, determined to clear the whole region in one go so I never would have to return. Explains why those wolf guys/boss in that cave and that fucking bear were one-shotting me. Ditto for that fort/dragon queen. I noticed the difficulty spike but I was like ... I've heard people talk about Caelid, I'm supposed to be here, and kept going. Now I feel silly.
I actually did the same. But anyway even when coming back much later to it, the Dragonbarrow was still a nightmare for me xD. The scaling is really weird.

Quests in Elden Ring are way easier to figure out than in Souls, or more lenient I guess is a better way to say it. Something like the Siegward quest in DS3 I still fail even though I know what order to do stuff in. Its cool From made the order of events a little more lax than in the past.
Definitely ! I find them easier to complete without external help and making some steps optional help a lot.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Happy you got to play Rex_DX Rex_DX !! Made a lot of progress i see!

I died uhhh i mean did a lot as well. Somewhat (sure I missed a lot) cleared the north, east and west parts of Mountain tops of the Giants.

ATT at Giant's Gravepost. Hard hitting enemies there...

Shout out to DelireMan7 DelireMan7 for your indepth responses.

Btw Rex, your posts read fine man. No worries

Pffff just lost 1 level worth of runes. Stupid me

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
Happy to see the people still making their way through the game. I spent April/May with GT7 and in London so I fell behind the launch gang, but it was fun to read pages 120-140 which is where people were in similar places.

I think I will park Malenia for a bit to gear and level up. I think my next tasks will be going through all the merchants to buy any recipes and stonesword keys, complete Millicent questline and then finally commit the cardinal sin.

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Happy to see the people still making their way through the game. I spent April/May with GT7 and in London so I fell behind the launch gang, but it was fun to read pages 120-140 which is where people were in similar places.

I think I will park Malenia for a bit to gear and level up. I think my next tasks will be going through all the merchants to buy any recipes, complete Millicent questline and then finally commit the cardinal sin.

Jean Claude Van Damme Ok GIF

I HATE those crows

The End

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

Man, I almost (well I did mostly) ignored the OT because everyone were miles ahead. Didnt care about spoilers that much; I'd just couldn't relate because most posters were so far ahead.

Anyways I'm 100% with you on your first sentence. Like a little cozy club of sorts hahaha

Also, if the ultra greatsword with the lion's claw ash had invisebilty frames it would be so OP

🤣🤪

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I can't remember fighting twin tree sentinels.

Rex_DX Rex_DX

From Windmill Village I accidentally snuck into the Capital Outskirts the back way, passed four catapults. Cut through it pretty fast to get the map fragment before exploring. Turns out the Twin Tree Sentinels, who I'd been waiting to deal with, are much more manageable when attacked from behind. Got them down first go but it was touch and go. I think the difference is not having to fight them on stairs and instead in the open plaza they're guarding.

Guess I'll take a visit soon to see what's up.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Very close at murdering Fire Giant. Got him at like 95% down but I was empty so yeah. Anyway he's not that bad. Bit of aggression and patience.

Top Bottom