• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

DelireMan7

Hmmm.. I have a couple swords I want to upgrade so I'll have to choose. I mean, those caves/tombs don't respawn their stones do they?

Anyways I can buy a lot.

Got a massive amount of +7 from those hands lately.. Around Mt Gillmore I guess?? And this very morning a Dragon stone for maxing out

Sorry, another question. Top left you have a symbol in that square. How does that work?
Seems like those.... "brotherhoods" you could join in DS3
Yes the stone don't respawn. You have to buy them. If you proceed to Farum Azula, you'll find the bell bearing to unlock the higher smithing stone at the maidens in Round table.

The top left icon is the Great rune. After obtaining a Great rune (by defeating Godrick, Radahn, Rykard etc...) you have to visit the associated Divine tower (read the description of the rune for an idea of the location) to unlock its potential. Then you can equip a great rune at a grace site.
And finally to activate it you need to use a Rune Arc. If you die, you'll need to reactivate it by using another Rune arc.
Each Great Rune has a specific effect. Godrick's gives you +5 in all your stats. Radahn's boost your HP, Stamina and FP by 15%....

On the paper it's an interesting mechanic, but no really a big deal in the end. It can help a bit in some situations. I don't use them a lot.

Guess I need to beat the Fire giant to proceed to Farum Azula. He's not that hard but I get eager and greedy so I don't look at his tells. So stupid

Yes you need to defeat the Fire Giant to continue ^^

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Thank you for You're explanation.

Will have a look.

Good to hear about being able to buy the higher + stones.

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
DelireMan7 DelireMan7

Again. I almost got him.

First fase i more or less got down evading his shield and foot stamps.

His second phase asl well seeing multiple times I only needed 3 hits or so but no.

The window where he slams his fist is very small and out of nowhere he can do his super firebelly move or his circus roll.

I really need to be super carefull in it's first stage to save my blood flasks and retreat sometimes to do some casting.

I thought about summoning mimic for the second phase but it slows down his first phase down significantly and he's far more likely to use his shield on me.

Btw ice enchantments on your sword doesn't seem to do shit all

I would have got him if only I had a flask or 2, 3 left.

TLDR: I need to gitgut

Last edited:

DelireMan7

DelireMan7 DelireMan7

Again. I almost got him.

First fase i more or less got down evading his shield and foot stamps.

His second phase asl well seeing multiple times I only needed 3 hits or so but no.

The window where he slams his fist is very small and out of nowhere he can do his super firebelly move or his circus roll.

I really need to be super carefull in it's first stage to save my blood flasks and retreat sometimes to do some casting.

I thought about summoning mimic for the second phase but it slows down his first phase down significantly and he's far more likely to use his shield on me.

Btw ice enchantments on your sword doesn't seem to do shit all

I would have got him if only I had a flask or 2, 3 left.

TLDR: I need to gitgut
On second phase, I rely heavily on torrent. It's much easier to get in and out quickly.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
On second phase, I rely heavily on torrent. It's much easier to get in and out quickly.
Really? Hmmm. Thats going to make it even more difficult for me (until I get used to it).

See, I never ever use torrent in battles. All the dragons I've beaten on foot for example.

But yeah that could work...

Maybe 🙈🤣

Fbh

Man I don't quite get why I've seen so many people say this is the easiest souls game.
Some of these late game bosses are kicking my ass. Beat Maliketh and Godfrey yesterday and both took me quite a few more tries than any boss in, say, Dark Souls 1. Specially their second phases where they attack non stop and kill me in 2 hits.

I guess it's because of the Spirit Ashes? I've not been using them in main bosses but they generally work as an "easy mode" toggle as the AI can't handle multiple enemies.

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
CyZApmB.jpg

Funnily enough, Mimic gave the final deathblow.

Oh well. Forwards! Still need to kill that mogh guy before heading to Farum Azula.

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Okay so I had to YouTube how to equip a great rune and I chose Godrick's.. +5 levels for every stat is pretty darn nice in my humble opinion. Mystery solved. Now on the Mohg.

DelireMan7

Man I don't quite get why I've seen so many people say this is the easiest souls game.
Some of these late game bosses are kicking my ass. Beat Maliketh and Godfrey yesterday and both took me quite a few more tries than any boss in, say, Dark Souls 1. Specially their second phases where they attack non stop and kill me in 2 hits.

I guess it's because of the Spirit Ashes? I've not been using them in main bosses but they generally work as an "easy mode" toggle as the AI can't handle multiple enemies.
Yes I think with all the options the game gives, the experience for each player is vastly different experiences.

I've seen many "this boss is so easy, I first try it with my mimic and *insert OP weapons*".
You can also trivialise quite some bosses with the Sleep status effect. Especially the Godskin dudes (what I did).

So yes, it can be quite easy if you use everything the game has to offer in term of options. Also some builds (like Bloodloss, can be extremely efficient on many bosses)

I personally usually refrain myself using too many OP stuff but I don't hesitate against bosses I don't like.

Edit: I personally think it's indeed harder than the Soulsborne (I don't include Sekiro) if played in a "traditional way". Some bosses as you said are extremely agressive and have really small window for attack (Looking at you Maliketh).

Last edited:

Fbh

Yes I think with all the options the game gives, the experience for each player is vastly different experiences.

I've seen many "this boss is so easy, I first try it with my mimic and *insert OP weapons*".
You can also trivialise quite some bosses with the Sleep status effect. Especially the Godskin dudes (what I did).

So yes, it can be quite easy if you use everything the game has to offer in term of options. Also some builds (like Bloodloss, can be extremely efficient on many bosses)

I personally usually refrain myself using too many OP stuff but I don't hesitate against bosses I don't like.

Edit: I personally think it's indeed harder than the Soulsborne (I don't include Sekiro) if played in a "traditional way". Some bosses as you said are extremely agressive and have really small window for attack (Looking at you Maliketh).

Yeah I think you are right.
And to be fair I'm totally fine with people using spirit ashes and OP weapons, if it's in the game it's fair game IMO. I'm using the Moonveil which as far as I'm aware is also considered OP.

And yeah Maliketh was hard his second phase is hyper aggressive, and each of his attacks took like 80% of my health. In the end I only won because I lucked out and he didn't spam that attack where he jumps at you and tons of magic slashes appear. Never got how to avoid or counter that.

Jebron

Damn... I'm really struggling to find anything to play after getting the platinum in Elden Ring. It's been three weeks and I'm in a major gaming funk now where nothing seems fun and everything pales in comparison. I'm not even a FromSoft fanboy, Elden Ring was only the second title of theirs that I've played. Honestly, what the fuck do I do now?

Damn... I'm really struggling to find anything to play after getting the platinum in Elden Ring. It's been three weeks and I'm in a major gaming funk now where nothing seems fun and everything pales in comparison. I'm not even a FromSoft fanboy, Elden Ring was only the second title of theirs that I've played. Honestly, what the fuck do I do now?
Other than playing other Fromsoft games, not sure what you can play.

If you’re into JRPGs, there is a lot to play but they’re very different from the Souls experience. Xenoblade Chronicles 3 comes out this Friday.

Maybe Ghost of Tsushima? MGS V? Stray?

Incidentally I went through most of Nokstella. Not sure how to reach the draconic soldier. I fought Blaidd’s shadow (what was that?) and he was quite hard! You can’t cheese him with a summon so you need to git gud. I enjoyed that fight a lot.

Also what’s with the thunder-wielding dragon in the Altus plateau? He left shortly after I started fighting him.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Some bosses as you said are extremely agressive and have really small window for attack (Looking at you Maliketh).

Gran Turismo 7 is a great palette cleanser with the same completitionist dopamine kick. Plus it’s much more accessible than the earlier entries, may actually finish it.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Also what’s with the thunder-wielding dragon in the Altus plateau? He left shortly after I started fighting him.
Really? I got jumped by that dragon unexpectedly and had about 100K souls on me. Beat her my first try but it was touch and go. That swipe move has some crazy range. She never left though .... is it possible the fight spilled a little too far away from the "arena"? I've had boss fights where things naturally move kind of far from the start and the boss will kind of "phase" out of existence and reappear closer to the fight trigger.

Really? I got jumped by that dragon unexpectedly and had about 100K souls on me. Beat her my first try but it was touch and go. That swipe move has some crazy range. She never left though .... is it possible the fight spilled a little too far away from the "arena"? I've had boss fights where things naturally move kind of far from the start and the boss will kind of "phase" out of existence and reappear closer to the fight trigger.
Maybe it’s because I went into the trees as I was running from her (this dragon is a she?). But she didn’t come back after I want back to where she landed the first time. I’ll come back later and see how she behaves.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Maybe it’s because I went into the trees as I was running from her (this dragon is a she?).
Haha I think so? I think the item description for the incant you unlock from that dragon says she's a sister of one of the Great Dragons or something. I could be misremembering. Even in Elden Ring pronouns are hard I guess :goog_unamused:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Elden Ring (PC, PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X/S/One) is basically the king of bosses. Here are some of the most challenging.

0:00 Intro
0:13 Margit, The Fell Omen
2:02 Fire Giant
4:02 Starscourge Radahn
6:06 Full-grown Fallingstar Beast
7:29 Mohg, Lord of Blood
9:12 Astel, Naturalborn of the Void
10:18 Godfrey, First Elden Lord / Hoarah Loux
11:28 Godskin Duo
12:57 Radagon of the Golden Order / Elden Beas
14:20 Malenia, Blade of Miquella

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

Time will do it's thing. Try Sekiro? Gran Gran Turismo 7 with 90% assists off? You know, that challenge... DMC5

Chittagong Chittagong

"Gran Turismo 7 is a great palette cleanser with the same completitionist dopamine kick. Plus it’s much more accessible than the earlier entries, may actually finish it."

🙌

But I've stood in your shoes. Especially after Dark Souls 3 which was my first...

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Btw that white perfume really seemed to help my mimic.

I looked it up it was the uplifting Aromatic one.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Trick was to equip the Flamedrake Talisman +2. Totally didn't cross my mind yesterday.

Also without Great Rune Activated, just lots of Lion Claws =)

PaFjQrB.jpg

First try btw (today)

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Is Haligtree the final part? At least I saw a lot of equipment that's available there to be found. Very happy for that.

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member

watching that

1 - I have absolutely no idea how I managed to beat 8 of those bossss already. They are every bit as nuts as I remembered. Have to watch my captures.

2 - I have often read that Elden Ring is an easy Souls game but aside of Bell Gargoyles, Ornstein & Smough, DS3 final boss and Ludwig, nothing really compares to that Top 10.

3 - Astel the Stars of Darkness is missing from the list. Way, way, way harder than the forst Astel

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Gold Member
I've seen a lot of people talk about perfumes, and I've met the perfumer enemies ... when will I get access to these?

DelireMan7

I've seen a lot of people talk about perfumes, and I've met the perfumer enemies ... when will I get access to these?
You have to find some Perfumer's bottle and some Perfumer's Cookbooks.

I don't remember exactly but you should find these on Altus Plateau. In the Perfumer's Ruin there are for sure Bottles.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Giants Conquering Hero's Grave.

What a bullshit multitask catacomb. You have to get lucky to swifly get both imps into the light and hope that cat fucker is slow in the head that run.. JFC.

I should farm crab eggs for the bolusses but fuck that

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
3 - Astel the Stars of Darkness is missing from the list. Way, way, way harder than the forst Astel

Yeah she's annoying af.

Not to brag but Ornstein & Smaug I did on my first try, as well as the final boss of DS3 (disclaimer, couldn't beat him years earlier on xbox but got it on ps4 and started a fresh run, so I had like subconscious experience perhaps)

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Maybe I'll throw some sleeping pots on the asscat to give me a window to deal with those pesky fucking imps.

Excuse my french

Soodanim

Maybe I'll throw some sleeping pots on the asscat to give me a window to deal with those pesky fucking imps.

Excuse my french
Hundreds of hours and I still hate imps. Elden Ring is full of enemies that hop in and out of range, but these come in groups and have bleed weapons. Bad combination.

The game never tells you, but use Crystal Darts when there's more than one construct (imp, watchdog, golems) and you can send them crazy, which has the effect of turning them on each other. What's even better is that Crystal darts are so cheap to craft, so you can have an unlimited supply.

On the Watchdog that comes with imps, dart the watchdog (takes a few) and sit back until it's a 1 v 1 fight again. Also particularly useful in the fight with 2 watchdogs. Or any group of imps

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Hundreds of hours and I still hate imps. Elden Ring is full of enemies that hop in and out of range, but these come in groups and have bleed weapons. Bad combination.

The game never tells you, but use Crystal Darts when there's more than one construct (imp, watchdog, golems) and you can send them crazy, which has the effect of turning them on each other. What's even better is that Crystal darts are so cheap to craft, so you can have an unlimited supply.

On the Watchdog that comes with imps, dart the watchdog (takes a few) and sit back until it's a 1 v 1 fight again. Also particularly useful in the fight with 2 watchdogs. Or any group of imps

Holy moly that's super useful information man! Thanks!

Btw I like you call enemies "constructs"

I still call it a cat sorry no sorry

Hey you know what? I defeated the cat and imps but got then got ambushed.

But! Next try guess who was slow on the uptake? Yes! Mr asscat! I even tried to lure him a bit up the stairs when I realized, what am I doing? I killed him already. That's enough.

So now I'm standing in front of a giant door/gate

Last edited:

Soodanim

Btw I like you call enemies "constructs"
Haha I do like that, but constructs are a specific type of enemy in ER. As far as I can tell, it's anything made from stone and powered by magic. Doesn't work on Gargoyles for example, because they seem to be made from patched together living beings, and Crystallians are something else entirely.

If they weren't called watchdogs, I think most people would call them cats. They're very cat-like

Chittagong

Gold Member
I am nearing the end of my journey. I have all achievements except Malenia, Elden Lord and the three endings. I have completed everything I can think of.

Yesterday I managed to get Malenia phase 2 down to last 25% so I think she will fall this weekend. Then it’s just Elden Lord, and trying to save scum the three required endings.

Soodanim

I am nearing the end of my journey. I have all achievements except Malenia, Elden Lord and the three endings. I have completed everything I can think of.

Yesterday I managed to get Malenia phase 2 down to last 25% so I think she will fall this weekend. Then it’s just Elden Lord, and trying to save scum the three required endings.
My biggest mistake was falling into the habit of rolling backwards. Rolling through and past her attacks is much, much better because she covers ground to get to you

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
My biggest mistake was falling into the habit of rolling backwards. Rolling through and past her attacks is much, much better because she covers ground to get to you

Thats goes for a lot of constructs. Right? Most enemies do follow up forwards attacks, better to roll into them. Sometime it works out in such a way that his or should I say it's back is facing you

(I wanted to say construct at least one time hehe)

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member

Def.

Also mansoor1980 mansoor1980 told me to ditch the shield and dual wield. That was good advice since you need to play so aggressive that flasks won’t be the bottleneck, but DPS is to stay ahead of her healing. I got to 2nd phase with 11 flasks, but then the scarlet rot did me in.

It also forces me to roll instead of block, which would regenerate her health.

You also need to get a bit lucky with the RNG not dealing out too many of those mega attacks.

Last edited:

Peter303

Giants Conquering Hero's Grave.

What a bullshit multitask catacomb. You have to get lucky to swifly get both imps into the light and hope that cat fucker is slow in the head that run.. JFC.

I should farm crab eggs for the bolusses but fuck that
I find those cat things impossible to beat, I just run away from them.

If I remember correctly, there's a corridor with windows that look down on that room. Try hitting the solid walls in the corridor.

Soodanim

Thats goes for a lot of constructs. Right? Most enemies do follow up forwards attacks, better to roll into them. Sometime it works out in such a way that his or should I say it's back is facing you

(I wanted to say construct at least one time hehe)
It goes for most of the series, although I somehow forgot that for a long time. If an active hitbox is moving towards you, you want to be away from it, so rolling with the attack usually means when the iframes on the roll are finished you're going to take damage. Rolling back also leaves you unable to counter-attack because you're out of range.
Def.

Also mansoor1980 mansoor1980 told me to ditch the shield and dual wield. That was good advice since you need to play so aggressive that flasks won’t be the bottleneck, but DPS is to stay ahead of her healing. I got to 2nd phase with 11 flasks, but then the scarlet rot did me in.

You also need to get a bit lucky with the RNG not dealing out too many of those mega attacks.
Waterfowl Dance (the insane move) gets used at (IIRC) 75% and 50% health. If she regens and you get her past those thresholds again, I think she gets to use it again (can't remember). Might be 50 and 25%, but it's been a while and I don't really enjoy that fight. Either way, once you know it's coming you can be prepared, then it's a matter of dodging. I used to be good at it, then I lost it.

What annoys me more than Waterfowl is the move where there's a little click/spark and she rushes you with a 3 hit combo. Again, I was dodging back and you always lose that way.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I find those cat things impossible to beat, I just run away from them.

If I remember correctly, there's a corridor with windows that look down on that room. Try hitting the solid walls in the corridor.

Well well well, a hidden surprise maybe?

With that said.

I entered the room with the phantom giant and dropped down and killed that fire asshole only to find two more asscats.

The first one I killed but my resources were very low at that stage.

So i ran past the second to find a ladder (FUCK YEAH) which brought me back so i could make a run back to the site of grace.

Now I can speedrun to that pillar that leads to a neutral place from which i can explore again.

To be honost those cats are pretty doable solo and if you have some space. His stomp is very delayed so you have to roll pretty late and the window between his next jump/stomp is small. Let him stomp, he does some swords attacks that DO empty your whole stamina bar but yeah. Spacing, timing.

Or just run Haha

tom cruise maverick GIF

Last edited:

Soodanim

Well well well, a hidden surprise maybe?

With that said.

I entered the room with the phantom giant and dropped down and killed that fire asshole only to find two more asscats.

The first one I killed but my resources were very low at that stage.

So i ran past the second to find a ladder (FUCK YEAH) which brought me back so i could make a run back to the site of grace.

Now I can speedrun to that pillar that leads to a neutral place from which i can explore again.

To be honost those cats are pretty doable solo and if you have some space. His stomp is very delayed so you have to roll pretty late and the window between his next jump/stomp is small. Let him stomp, he does some swords attacks that DO empty your whole stamina bar but yeah. Spacing, timing.

Or just run Haha

tom cruise maverick GIF
I've been continuing my magic build and it's insane how much magic trivialises everything. People wanted easy mode, but it's been here all along

mansoor1980

Def.

dual wield or two handed?

I finished Ranni’s quest finallt.

Astel was kinda easy but I’m not complaining. The ice-breathing dragon in the southern area in Liurnia, however, was quite tough. I fell to my death while escaping his blue flames.

Also the black night assassin in that area is so strong and agile, almost like a preview of what to expect from Malenia. I retrieved my runes after dying and noped the fuck out of there.

Now onto the forbidden lands and snowy mountains!

mansoor1980

Ah two hand I mean. Haven’t had much luck dual wielding. two handing, it doesn’t seem that the DPS diff is huge, but I guess it’s enough to push me over the tipping point of making her plausible
equip claw talisman , approach her with leaping heavy attack and a couple of light attacks to break her poise , rinse/ repeat , make sure to let the mimic distract her , should fuck her first form easily this way leaving you with extra health flasks for the second form

Chittagong

Gold Member
equip claw talisman , approach her with leaping heavy attack and a couple of light attacks to break her poise , rinse/ repeat , make sure to let the mimic distract her , should fuck her first form easily this way leaving you with extra health flasks for the second form
Lol I think the only time I have ever jumped in combat was when I wanted to see if I could see if I could reach Astel’s head.

First phase isn’t too bad for me anymore if I luck out with the rng, last time I started the second phase with 11/14 flasks left, died due to rot - I hadn‘t realised I must equip a bolus. Hope the ingredients for that bolus are abundant :D

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I've been continuing my magic build and it's insane how much magic trivialises everything. People wanted easy mode, but it's been

I believe you.

Is it fair to say that only happens when (from starting a fresh run) you fully dedicate yourself stat wise, endure quite some time with glintstone pebbles and the likes of and only late midgame start to get the more awesome spells?

Last edited:
Top Bottom