• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

Rex_DX

Gold Member
22:22:22 22:22:22

Yeah twin Tree Sentinels are at the top of the massive staircase leading from Altus Plateau into the Outskirts. You can see it from the Dectus Lift and it feels like the game thinks this is the "proper" way to enter.

You must have snuck in the back way past the catapults like I did.

Fighting two of them on the stairs sucks so you missed nothing.

On a side note, I love exploring these bombed out battlefields from the siege of Leyndell. I think From nailed the atmosphere but looking at the massive architecture I kinda laugh when I see these dinky little catapults and ballistae. No way these things were going to do any damage to that city. Would've been cool if there were a few equally massive trebuchets or siege towers or something to sell the idea of the scale of the conflict.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Nah I killed every golden soldier on the huge stairs leading towards the big door.
They're not on horses and there are many with bows, right?

And I agree about the atmosphere of that area.

Very awesome.

Btw. Fuck Fire Giant.
Back to Astel Stars of Darkness
I'll watch out for the particles Soodanim Soodanim

😰😅

I love the variety of all the area's Soooooo good.

Got them both pretty down but fuck it tomorrow is another day lol

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Nah I killed every golden soldier on the huge stairs leading towards the big door.
They're not on horses and there are many with bows, right?

Yeah two Tree Sentinels at the very top of the stairs, right before the door. Official bosses too, the music kicks in and the health bars pop up on screen.

If you made it up there without fighting them ... I'm very curious. Could there be some trigger to despawn them? Or did you repress that memory? :messenger_grinning_smiling:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
You're shitting me right? Wtf.
Sigh. I cant remember..Can you show me on the map or something? Really? With lifebars? And MUSIC!???? ;)

Btw those mountain wolfs are definitely and the Juice. So are the bears lol.

Bloodflame Blade does massive damage in the easy/west area of Mountain top of the Giants. Dogs and spider hands... Go down fast

There was a group of three peasants that when killed it spawned an massive rune bear. Now it doenst? Weird

Last edited:
I defeated the boss of Leyndell.

On my first try! I wasn't expecting this. I thought Morgott was going to be as hard as Margit. But no, with me, Melina, and the mimic tear, we made short work of him. I love that Melina herself joins the fight. And Morgott's intro cutscene is amazing with the cane being actually a sword. I love his AOE attack with the myriad of light swords as well as the giant spear. Creating light weapons out of thin air is a simple but really cool ability.

However the easiness with which I beat him dampened my enjoyment of this fight. I love this boss, his moveset, and his arena. But I was expecting a more challenging fight. And you can't fight bosses again. I'm at level 105 with 45 in vitality and 35 in strength btw.

9ohnt6F.jpg

I was also suprised when I went back to optional bosses that were impossible before and killed them easily, such as the Fallingstar Beast near the big starway in the Altus plateau and the Tree Avatars in Limgrave and Liurnia. Admittedly my mistake is summoning the mimic tear instinctively for each boss, so I'll try to find other bosses and not use the mimic tear.

Here's a screenshot I took my phone since copying screenshots to my USB drives takes too long for some reason.

Pz3SoE4.jpg

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Just hit the screenshot button and download the xbox app. Direct feed screens!

Anyways good work! I loved the cutscene as as well a lot!!

When I saw it was Morgott i was like YES MY CLOAK

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Been collecting Tears. Missed a couple in the starting area as well. Very relaxing; exploring, fight here and there and finally your reward

Good Food Wow GIF by For(bes) The Culture

Next incantations & talismans

Got all the Tears. DLC will add the rest I suppose.

Last edited:
Just hit the screenshot button and download the xbox app. Direct feed screens!

Anyways good work! I loved the cutscene as as well a lot!!

When I saw it was Morgott i was like YES MY CLOAK
I play on PS4 actually!

I'm about to go to Caria's study hall (or whatever it's called in English). If I remember right it advances Ranni's quest.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Heeeeeeey all!

I was taking a stroll when my eyes catched something that reminded me of something out of Elden Ring.... Very curious if y'all recognize it as well.. (Hint: it's part of something BIG)

3LxscIj.jpg

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Nice!!!!!! It does doesn't it?

Good job friend

Great Job Reaction GIF

When I was only playing MGSV every time I saw a container in thought about the fulton

😅😅😅😅😅
Sweet got it in one.

Someone left an upside down cardboard box behind the bar I worked at right when I was deep into MGSV.

I eyeballed that thing hard.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I'm so OP on Mt. Gilmore it's not even funny. Just a slaughter machine lol. Need to find beautiful prattling pat to end Boc's questline

I finished the Caria Study Hall, it was a really nice dungeon! The archer mage was super annoying since I have no strong ranged attacks, my spells don’t deal much damage. But I really enjoyed exploring the inverted hall. The godskin dude wasn’t much trouble too.

I came across the black Gargoyle in Caelid and it destroyed me. Just when I thought I was starting to become OP. Lol. An interesting thing I noticed is that his location is not too far from Farum Azula, the boss of which is clad in black too and unleashes a red slash of energy from his blade.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Jealous of you ValiantTraveler ValiantTraveler - that Godskin Noble on the bridge was terrible for me. I was underleveled and stubborn. Got him in the end but it was a slog. Most attacks one-shotted me.

Inverted Study Hall is an awesome dungeon though, agreed. Neat concept. I can't imagine missing out on all the cool stuff Ranni's quest unlocks and I haven't even finished it yet. Sad for the peeps who skipped it.

DelireMan7

An interesting thing I noticed is that his location is not too far from Farum Azula, the boss of which is clad in black too and unleashes a red slash of energy from his blade
Hum... there is another big connection between the places concerning the boss.
Do you know who it is ?
I finished the Caria Study Hall, it was a really nice dungeon!

Inverted Study Hall is an awesome dungeon though, agreed. Neat concept
I find the concept amazing too. But the mage is just the most annoying stuff of this game for me xD.
Especially in the inverted part. Just spamming spells while hands and the Knight are harassing you. The most rage inducing moment for me xD

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Fuck man. After hours of scouring Mt Gilmore (which I hadn't explored yet) and murdering everyone in 1 or rarely 2 hit to reach the top with the ladders, I mean as long as I'm here might as well go on and killed that boss on the very top.

But digress. I was scouring to find a way to beautiful prattling Pat. Tried every side and just couldn't get on that level (height wise)

So I YouTube'd and what do you know. Many hours ago I was very close blabla there was a T split on the road and and the cave of the Virgin Abductors. I think I went in there because it's empty now.

I just never returned and took the left path on the T split.

Pffff shame on me as well

DelireMan7 DelireMan7 Yes that mage was annoying af

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I'm thinking about returning to this one. I put 15 hours in when it was released but got bored because I played a wizard and sniped everyone with magic from a distance.

Can you please recommend me a good starting class that will require some engagement in fights but won't be completely brutal? Thanks!

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Vagabond I guess. But he's heavy so remove some armor to remove the slow roll. Unless you like slowrolls. Maybe Bandit or something? Someone with some swords.
Brutal in the context of ?

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Vagabond I guess. But he's heavy so remove some armor to remove the slow roll. Unless you like slowrolls. Maybe Bandit or something? Someone with some swords.
Brutal in the context of ?

I know there are certain classes that make the game harder. I don't want that. I would like to land somewhere in the middle. Vagabond... I will research that.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I know there are certain classes that make the game harder. I don't want that. I would like to land somewhere in the middle. Vagabond... I will research that.

Vagabond is pure melee. Which most think is the hardest way to play. Prisoner has a sword and staff for pesky shit you can't reach... and you can enchant your sword with magic which is cool.

Last edited:
Honestly, the game gives you so many larval tears for respec that you can easily start with any class and switch it up later if you want to try something different. Just be warned that you cannot respect until early mid-game so you should try out using the weapons.

Dumping all of your early upgrades into vigor would probably be more wise if you meet minimum requirements of a weapon class. Weapon upgrades are much more useful early on and many materials are not too difficult to acquire. Especially for a unique weapon (having a permanent Ash of War) with somber smithing stone upgrade path.

For ranged confrontations, a low requirements crossbow will do wonders especially paired with status effect inflicting bolts. Items like throwing knives or kukri will also work to a degree.

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Honestly, the game gives you so many larval tears for respect that you can easily start with any class and switch it up later if you want to try something different. Just be warned that you cannot respect until early mid-game so you should try out using the weapons.

Dumping all of your early upgrades into vigor would probably be more wise if you meet minimum requirements of a weapon class. Weapon upgrades are much more useful early on and many materials are not too difficult to acquire. Especially for a unique weapon with somber smithing stone upgrade path.

For ranged confrontations, a low requirements crossbow will do wonders especially paired with status effect inflicting bolts.

Excellent advice. I always forget about the bows. Good call.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Honestly, the game gives you so many larval tears for respect that you can easily start with any class and switch it up later if you want to try something different. Just be warned that you cannot respect until early mid-game so you should try out using the weapons.

Dumping all of your early upgrades into vigor would probably be more wise if you meet minimum requirements of a weapon class. Weapon upgrades are much more useful early on and many materials are not too difficult to acquire. Especially for a unique weapon (having a permanent Ash of War) with somber smithing stone upgrade path.

For ranged confrontations, a low requirements crossbow will do wonders especially paired with status effect inflicting bolts. Items like throwing knives or kukri will also work to a degree.

I played for 15 hours half a year ago but honestly I have no idea what any of this means. I picked prisoner because it starts with a sword and magic staff. 2 hours in, so far so good. I need to pay more attention to all these mechanics, maybe watch some YouTube videos.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I played for 15 hours half a year ago but honestly I have no idea what any of this means. I picked prisoner because it starts with a sword and magic staff. 2 hours in, so far so good. I need to pay more attention to all these mechanics, maybe watch some YouTube videos.

Honestly, it appears more complex than it is..

Unless you go for late game specific builds that need certain armor, weapons, stat management etc.

Just go explore and fight and have fun. You'll learn along the way, if you want detailed information or need a item you can always count on fextralife.com I just Google the location of item or enemy + elden ring and fextralife is always on the top searches, easy

Example

https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Stalwart+Horn+Charm

Im a noob but I learned a bit along the way, the poster you quoted is a hardcore veteran I'm guessing so yeah. He didn't even liked my mushroom man pictures =/

🤪

Last edited:
Fundamentally, the main boss (Rennala) of the second major area of the game (Liurnia) gives you the option to reassign points invested into vigor, stamina, strength, dexterity, etc. after being defeated in exchange for larval tear item.

The class choices are good for giving the player the minimum stats for a specific weapon type. Early on the amount of health (a.k.a. vigor) often determines how well you can take on the challenges of the game and other stats do not significantly contribute to the damage output of a weapon unlike smithing upgrades that use up smithing stone items.

The last bit of advice simply means that magic or incantations that require a relatively high stat investment are not the only options for dealing with foes at a range.

Last edited:
Hum... there is another big connection between the places concerning the boss.
Do you know who it is ?
I know the boss, but I don't know what other connection there is. Tell me, I don't mind spoilers.

Jealous of you ValiantTraveler ValiantTraveler - that Godskin Noble on the bridge was terrible for me. I was underleveled and stubborn. Got him in the end but it was a slog. Most attacks one-shotted me.

Inverted Study Hall is an awesome dungeon though, agreed. Neat concept. I can't imagine missing out on all the cool stuff Ranni's quest unlocks and I haven't even finished it yet. Sad for the peeps who skipped it.
It's just that I'm kind of overlevelled for that dungeon (level 108). The Godskin Noble was very hard to deal with back in Volcano Manor. Being familiar with his moves helped me not panic and attack at the right time. Although his big rolling attack hits hard and seems unavoidable.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
I know the boss, but I don't know what other connection there is. Tell me, I don't mind spoilers.

It's just that I'm kind of overlevelled for that dungeon (level 108). The Godskin Noble was very hard to deal with back in Volcano Manor. Being familiar with his moves helped me not panic and attack at the right time. Although his big rolling attack hits hard and seems unavoidable.
Ah gotcha. Pretty sure I was around level 60 for that area. Explains my difficulty.

Mage there was easy for me because I'm a FTH/DEX build. Couple of Frenzied Bolts from 200m away sniped him no problem. Super useful incantation.

My next hurdle for Ranni is defeating Blaidd underground. Got there way too early and got wrecked. That was like 30 hours of playtime ago. Pretty sure I'm overleveled for him now which is fine by me. Anyone have any tips for that fight though?

DelireMan7

Maliketh is Gurranq the beast clergyman. The first phase is actually Gurranq. At first I was thinking it was another beast clergyman but he's Gurranq.
The dialog of Maliketh changes depending on whether or not you did Gurranq quest. In addition you can see the sealed Rune of death on Gurranq's left hands, in the bestial sanctum.
Also the Gargoyle in front of the sanctum, drop some "black blade" weapons which state "Such is the mark of those who serve Maliketh, the Black Blade".

There is a weird time shenanigan with Farum Azula, since after you kill Maliketh/Gurranq in it, he will still be in Caelid.

There is also some fun theory about Farum Azula being part of Caelid once and was send in the sky for some reason. Also by night, you can see Gurranq howling at the sky outside of the sanctum, like he was missing his "home".

My next hurdle for Ranni is defeating Blaidd underground. Got there way too early and got wrecked. That was like 30 hours of playtime ago. Pretty sure I'm overleveled for him now which is fine by me. Anyone have any tips for that fight though?
It's a really tough fight. I am usually really patient with him. Essentially baiting his forward leap attack and then hitting him once or twice.
You can't really stagger him so it's risky to go very aggressive on him. And watch out for his grab (he will briefly "scream" before it), it's quite fast and has some range.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Nepheli Loux dissapeared next to the steps.

Fextralife isn't clear
Reddit says contradicting shit

I want that posh asshole Kenneth quest finished and be done with it.

Frustrating

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Appreciate the tips DelireMan7 DelireMan7

About to wrap up a 77-hour work week tomorrow night so I'll be trying him soon over my weekend.

Love your insight about Gurranq, too. I think I've decided to wait and do the ... questionably moral ... quests in a second playthrough. Varre, Gurranq, etc., etc. Probably should've lumped Fia into that group but I finished her quest already so oh well.

Fextralife isn't clear

Frustrating
Wait Kenneth's quest can be completed now? I left him on top of the fort after reading his quest was bugged back in early March.

Edit - did some googling and discovered they patched a fun crossover between Kenneth Haight and Nepheli Loux. The quests can now be completed! Didn't look at the steps for completion though. I'm still trying to avoid guides/spoilers until I finish my first run. Good to know though. I thought I stayed on top of the patch notes but I missed this.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

Fextralife isn't clear

Frustrating

You mean the steps in Round table ?

Her quest normally finish in Stormveil if you did Kenneth quest. And of course didn't gave her Seluvis' potion.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Yes below the Smith. She had like 1 or 2 lines of dialogue. Something about wanting to do something. Maybe she's at Stormveil now? So I can give the arsenal charm

DelireMan7

Yes below the Smith. She had like 1 or 2 lines of dialogue. Something about wanting to do something. Maybe she's at Stormveil now? So I can give the arsenal charm
Oo

I might miss something but Arsenal charm has nothing to do with her. Did you gave her the Stormhawk King ashes (find in the very first area of the game, you can access it fight one of the 4 Belfries)? If you did that, try to teleport in the Secluded cell grace, just before Godrick arena. Rest there and go into the throne room after the arena.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Doesn't Nepheli Loux give the Arsenal Charm to you when she's in the Round Table Hold immediately after beating Godrick? It's been awhile but I believe that's when I got it ...

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Oo

I might miss something but Arsenal charm has nothing to do with her. Did you gave her the Stormhawk King ashes (find in the very first area of the game, you can access it fight one of the 4 Belfries)? If you did that, try to teleport in the Secluded cell grace, just before Godrick arena. Rest there and go into the throne room after the arena.

First of all, thank you for your fast answers. Appreciated.

(Edit I cant remember but I mostly to always give stuff when asked for)

I found her with Kenneth next to her in Godrick's throne room.

From fextra;

• You must also rest at the Godrick the Grafted site of grace for her to appear at the Hold.
  • She'll then reward you with the Arsenal Charm.
Wich is weird because I think I found that very early in the game...

As for now..I'll carry on and visit Fort Haight later for the knighthood stuff...

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Yes indeed but Fextra alludes you get the charm after finishing the quest instead of after beating Godrick. Hence, confusing. Right?

DelireMan7

Yes indeed but Fextra alludes you get the charm after finishing the quest instead of after beating Godrick. Hence, confusing. Right?
From the Wiki :

• Nepheli moves to the Roundtable Hold after defeating Godrick, and you can find her at the northeast side, inside the library. Simply speak to her and she'll give you the talisman.

Unrelated but something "funny" happened to me this week end :

For a second I thought the grab will make me survive the Deathblight.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
It's the unique skill from the Ruins greatsword.

Really like it. This sword is like a reminiscence of my favorite weapon from Dark Souls 1 : the Dragon greatsword

Nice i have it as well!

And I looked up the Dragon Greatsword and damn that thing is huge haha

But holy cow that skill is great for spacing distance AND is purple and looks sick...

Hmmm.. I have a couple swords I want to upgrade so I'll have to choose. I mean, those caves/tombs don't respawn their stones do they?

Anyways I can buy a lot.

Got a massive amount of +7 from those hands lately.. Around Mt Gillmore I guess?? And this very morning a Dragon stone for maxing out

Sorry, another question. Top left you have a symbol in that square. How does that work?
Seems like those.... "brotherhoods" you could join in DS3

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Guess I need to beat the Fire giant to proceed to Farum Azula. He's not that hard but I get eager and greedy so I don't look at his tells. So stupid

Last edited:
Top Bottom