• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

I always find pumping endurance to get a higher equip load so necessary for these games.

I was hoping to avoid having to spend a ton of points there, but the armor I like fashion wise is heavy as fuck

At least stamina is super useful

Hugare

Have played Demons Souls, Dark Souls, Bloodborne (only one I finished), Sekiro, but I was never a fan of the Dark Souls style of combat

But this game, man. Took a few hours ,but now I'm so invested. The scope of this thing is just ridiculous.

It always boggled my mind how people thought that BOTW had some sense of discovery/rewarded exploration. This game obliterates BOTW in this regard. You are always rewarded with something incredible, not some Korok shit.

I deviated from the road to the castle, went to some trees on the right side. A place where in any other game there would be an item, and thats it. But there was a passage, and it went on and on, then I ended up in an entire other region with different enemies and etc.

I saw the picture of the entire map on Reddit and I was gobsmacked.

Believe the hype, this is the real deal

Last edited:

WoodyStare

Just defeated the boss in the southern most area (and completed the side quest). He was one of the easiest bosses in the game, but you get a really nice weapon out of it. Too bad I have to level up a lot more before using it. The view is also incredible from here when you look north from behind the tree.

A0EVjzU.jpg

ikbalCO

But this game, man. Took a few hours ,but now I'm so invested. The scope of this thing is just ridiculous.
It did tooka few hours to click with me too. As specially i really had problems getting used to the mount. I was even jumping off my horse to fight cuz i found it irritating and now if the game allows me to do so, i am fighting on horse till i die.
I saw the picture of the entire map on Reddit and I was gobsmacked.
Yeah this the type of game where i dont delete months after complition and jump in randomly when i dont have anything to do or want to burn piled podcasts.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
20 hours in. 2nd real boss is down and the open world is now really.. open.
I am kinda staring to miss simpler, more "linear progression" games.
I love this game so much right now but I also think that not their every next game should be like this. More focused approach has it's benefits.
But right now? I've played 8 hours today... and he game is still 9 or 10. Dark Souls 2 is obviously still better !

iorek21

I’m not liking the bosses/minibosses here, they feel much faster than every other From Game, it seems unbalanced and a little unfair. Most of them can just stunlock or outright instakill you without any perceptible reaction window.

Even Sekiro had that.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I’m not liking the bosses/minibosses here, they feel much faster than every other From Game, it seems unbalanced and a little unfair. Most of them can just stunlock or outright instakill you without any perceptible reaction window.

Even Sekiro had that.
That's somewhat true.
Since Dark Souls 3 and bloodborne, these games have skewed more towards lighter, fast roll, fast swing builds.
Playing with big ass slow weapon is way more punishing in this game.
The build variety/balance might still be unmatched in Dark Souls 1 and especially 2.

I remember having a lot of trouble in dark souls 3 because I always played with ugs. After switching to claymore and then longsword, ds3 became much easier. Roll focused long sword build was king.
Here, in Elden Ring, the enemies stagger well but bosses and bigger enemies swing so ofter and so fast, sekirolike timed rolls are needed.

scalman

another souls seems like . looks kinda outdated, runs no probs on gtx 1060 laptop , movements souls style again "wooden" and kinda old allready. gravity defying jumps and falls again. leveling is stupid as you can just ride on that horse pretty much everywhere without fighting anyone and collecting all that cool stuff for your upgrades.
dont feel any satisfaction from exploring for sure. zelda botw made sense to explore and fight, or AC or RDR2 ... but this ... its not bad but nothing special too. never cared for souls games so this is not much diff from those . for souls fans its amazing im sure.
but man it can look bad visually inside buildings , dungeons ... so outdated look. good thing that it runs on almost anything there.
compare this "open word" visually to something like Horizon first game its like full generation appart games.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

DS2 is simply underrated. It was fun to go UGS, powerstance, magic and even archery with an enchanted Dragonrider Bow. Everything worked. Level design and atmosphere were lacking but in terms of build variety its the best Soulsborne game.

I am kinda staring to miss simpler, more "linear progression" games.
I love this game so much right now but I also think that not their every next game should be like this. More focused approach has it's benefits.
But right now? I've played 8 hours today... and he game is still 9 or 10. Dark Souls 2 is obviously still better !

There is something to say about tight level design non open world games have. But Elden Ring has much needed change after a handful of Soulsborne games. I like it so far.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
DS2 is simply underrated. It was fun to go UGS, powerstance, magic and even archery with an enchanted Dragonrider Bow. Everything worked. Level design and atmosphere were lacking but in terms of build variety its the best Soulsborne game.

There is something to say about tight level design non open world games have. But Elden Ring has much needed change after a handful of Soulsborne games. I like it so far.
What I liked about ds2 is that any weapon was viable endgame. Aside from dlc.. that dlc sucked balls and nothing scaled to it

So, is there an infinite rune glitch/rune well i can farm yet?
Above the third church of marika are about 7-10 little dark elves/trolls...Be careful cause they can one shot you but if you can sneak up on them and take 65% of their health immediately with a backstab, then just spam the attack button. They give off like 1096 or so runes/xp per kill and a site of grace is literally right there.

I went from a level 18 to a level 54 just doing it last night(If youre fast you can get like 5-7000xp in less than 7 minutes).

Last edited:

RPS37

So I played for like an hour but decided to start over a new game so I could actually complete the tutorial.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Alexios said:
Man the starting area is gigantic. You can spend so many hours exploring and not really progressing your character and stuff. But it's still fun and it all feels hand crafted and there's cool stuff or boss doors or items or npcs or whatever beyond enemies/animals pretty much everywhere. I started playing at the same time as a friend and we went totally different directions and kept confusing each other when talking about say the "first" vendor cos he first went to the one at the coast so were like wtf are you talking about this or that isn't there, catacombs beyond the vnedor, what, etc. Then we co-oped the catacombs boss together just to check out what that stuff is like. Then again solod explored and found a bunch of different exits, took down a caravan and so on and so forth. My friend somehow managed to kill the golden mounted knight himself, I haven't as he one shots me but discovered all kinds of stuff exploring the areas, from the coast to the lake to whatever, both of us still not progressing where the game wants us to go past the site of grace you get the level up capability and horse at, only this little starting bottom right corner of the map. GOAT game.
So what's the best way to use these arc rune things that say they boost HP but also activate your great rune if you have one or whatever? Are they permanent stat boosts so best to keep for when I do get a great rune or use now for more HP or what? Just don't wanna waste my first.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
At the 13 hour mark, just beat Godrick the Grafted.

Fun stuff!
At 17.5 and just beat Goodrick. Still have a few things in Limgrave to do. I missed a portion of the castle (mostly seems to be where storming the gates would take you).

It feels so good to play this game. The combat variety feels exceptional. I already want to do a second playthrough as a mage/magic heavy.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
So what's the best way to use these arc rune things that say they boost HP but also activate your great rune if you have one or whatever? Are they permanent stat boosts so best to keep for when I do get a great rune or use now for more HP or what? Just don't wanna waste my first.
I accidentally used mine. No clue. :messenger_loudly_crying:

I also accidentally killed an NPC. She was cuffed to a wall. :messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying:

So are the forward attacks and dual wielding 1 handed weapons removed now?

Turning the camera looks rough.
nah. Instead of Triangle. U hit Triangle and L1 to two-hand ur left handed weapon or Triangle and R1 to dual wield the right handed weapon

turning the camera is rough, unless ur out in the open. But it seems to get hitched for a moment if ur near any object on stairs or something

Badlucktroll

Gold Member
Above the third church of marika are about 7-10 little dark elves/trolls...Be careful cause they can one shot you but if you can sneak up on them and take 65% of their health immediately with a backstab, then just spam the attack button. They give off like 1096 or so runes/xp per kill and a site of grace is literally right there.

I went from a level 18 to a level 54 just doing it last night(If youre fast you can get like 5-7000xp in less than 7 minutes).
I tried it, i keep getting ripped a new asshole

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
About the location spoiler to the east:

Through the river underground places, I managed to ride the elevator up to the canyon with giant archers and there is a building with a GIANT POT guarding it.
.. any ideas what is going on with this ?

Orbital2060

Agree, Dark Souls 2 is awesome. Ive been stuck on the final bosses of the DLCs on ng+ for a while, and wanted to clear this before I start Elden Ring. Beat the Burnt Ivory King today, and got Fume Knight and Sinh left to do. The main game has been pretty easy on both cycles but the expansion routes have been super tough to clear. Just getting to the Fume Knight and unlocking the bonfire there is one of the toughest things Ive done in any of the Souls games. Not to mention beating him which Im not sure I can do. Sinh seems doable enough, but Elana the Squallid before him was also insanely tough as solo. Gonna give it a couple more days before I dive into Elden Ring, because when I do I wont look back for a while.

Hopefully there are some nice DEX based greatswords or UGSes in Elden Ring, since thats what Im most comfortable with. Have mainly focussed on katanas (Chaos Blade +5), and then the Curved Dragon Greatsword after I got that.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Tonight’s journeys

killed some pumpkinhead guy and released a sorceress who can now teach me sorceries for runes which is nice.

Found some guy who is claiming to be the rightful heir to stormfeil above a bridge where I fought a load of monkies. Have found the flask of wondrous physik as well. Went to some red part on the map and got invaded immediately. Fuck that place.

Levelled up quite a bit and fought a few mini bosses.

This game is absolutely incredible and unbelievably massive. I can see myself getting lost in this and GT7 and HFW for the rest of the year. I don’t really need to buy anything else now I think, will be waiting for heavy sales on a lot of things as this is just a great time now to be a gamer.

SJRB

Gold Member
I've just reached the final site of grace before the Godrick bossfight. I can't believe how massive Stormveil Castle was.

This game is nothing short of a masterpiece. The intricate detail, the superb rewards for exploration, the perfect combat balance between difficult but fair. The visuals, the atmosphere, the designs, the music, the voice acting. Everything is S-tier.

Amazing achievement, a pinnacle of videogame development and a golden standard for years to come.

Incredible detail I noticed about the dark room in Stormveil Castle: if you befriend Patches before you reach this part, he won't close the door behind you making it super easy to cheese the knight hidden in the dark.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Decided to go as far north as possible...and it just keeps getting more amazing. SO MANY cool locations I want to explore.

ssringo

I just found her for the first time at a bonfire/grace on the way to Liurnia, dunno if she's still there for you. The Lake-Facing Cliffs one.
Yeah, wiki says that's her first spawn too. I'm wondering if she has a few "first spawn" points and if you find her at another one she stays there.

This game is nothing short of a masterpiece. The intricate detail, the superb rewards for exploration, the perfect combat balance between difficult but fair. The visuals, the atmosphere, the designs, the music, the voice acting. Everything is S-tier.

Amazing achievement, a pinnacle of videogame development and a golden standard for years to come.
I was hoping ELDEN RING would turn out that way. It was the driving force behind my hype that motivated me to pour every ounce of my effort into this OT💯

DavidGzz

Gold Member
The jump button is such an obvious thing. Makes plunge attacks so fast and easy to do.
Same with pouch quick use items.
Will be weird going back to old souls

Dude, I love being able to hold y and press down for my fp recovery, right for my summons, and up for my horse without deselecting my important heals. So good.

One thing I do find annoying in not being able to buff a weapon with magic weapon without putting the staff in your left hand. It makes sense but then when I get on Torrent, I can't cast spells from my left hand, I gotta put the staff in my right..

I do love that when you select a weapon that was in your left, the game automatically swaps the items for you.

Also, getting flasks back for killing groups or singular giants is amazing. Keeps the exploring going instead of having to constantly go back to refill them or worse, dying. I have the timing down when I get the last kill and drink a flask real quick, it will top me off lol

Last edited:

iorek21

Seriously, throwing 2 Pumpkin Heads at you in a tiny room is just too cheap.

I really hope bosses improve further into the game.

mekes

Big thanks to everyone for spoiler tagging. Much appreciated!

I'm really early days in the game as it was my son's birthday today. I decided to go with Wretch so I've been sneaking around the starting area in my underwear. And just got the horse.

The game seems very nice so far.

I love browsing the OT's of From games around launch. It's all discovery, sharing info, sharing tactics and helping each other out. It's always been my favourite part of the gaming section on these boards. I'm hyped it is "From" time again!

Got banished knight Oleg summon, seems beastly but requires 100 fp

Debating whether to increase my mind for it, I’m a paladin so I do use incantations but not sure if it’s worth it

Orbital2060

4tOp1cb.jpg

trXVtse.jpg

Can't help to always to try to create a Guts in a Souls game.

1IjGq12.jpg

pkARhnB.jpg

PTBSBp2.jpg

hExS3GV.jpg

o8mXyrz.jpg

kceksqk.jpg
Damn nice

There is also the Blade of the Immortal series which I thought Sekiro drew some inspiration from. Takashi Miike made a great movie based on the manga. Maybe not so relevant to Elden Ring and Dark Souls because of the wider array of builds and equipment. But I usually play Dark Souls with a kind of Sekiro build at least to begin with.

Top Bottom