• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

V4skunk

Banned
So..i think the performance issues for the game on pc are caused by the nvidia drivers.
So far didn't have many technical issues..sure a bit of lowish framerate on some instances but nothing absurd.

yesterday i made the mistake of updating my drivers..and now the game is unplayable, with many stutters and sometime straight up freeze that were not there before

any way to revert to the previous drivers?
Sounds like the problem is on your end.
Uninstall the drivers and do a fresh install.
Also check your gpu for overheating and clean the dust out of it.

hollams

Gold Member
I tried my first invasion since I usually play offline because of the stutters, and the lag was awful. There were 2 players to fight which didn't help, but there was a monster in the field with us so I was trying to get the monster to constantly attack them. He got them down pretty close, but I never could get close enough for the final kill since the lag was so bad and the magic user got me. Every time I try to play online I get horrible stuttering which is a shame.

I used an fps unlocker that also can increase fov. Played offline. No more "finger but hole" stupid messages. Game is 100% more enjoyable now.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Just beat Godric. Game keeps getting weirder and more Souls-like. But it's good I spent ages exploring the starting regions and side progression, it hit different. I've got all sorts of new weapons and shit and I'm not sure which to go for after investing so much of my stats and stones for plain old swords and greatswords. I did just increase my dexterity to check out some spears and axes and what not. The weapons that seem most impressive/special also require faith however. I can check their moves even without that but I guess maybe their special doesn't quite work at all. It also seems special weapons are even more of a commitment to level than others because of the rarer materials needed. I used my first ash, storm wall on a shield that had nothing. Since I suck at counters I'm not sure I did well, it was handy to use the weapon special without going two handed.
I think you're only a little further than I am. How many hours/ what level are you at the moment?

I'm having the same issue and every time I have runes to level up it's becoming a minor dilemma. Vitality and Endurance are set for awhile and I was thinking about going quality so I could try most of the weapons but at this point I should be going hard on a specialization if I'm going to do it.
Still using a Broadsword because it's a work horse and everything is either too exotic or I don't like the moveset.

Anyone have any general guidance for the respec option? How late in the game can you do it/how expensive is it? Any reason a complete reset wouldn't work or is it more designed to help you min-max the build you're already using?

V4skunk

Banned
This don’t need no dlc. The game is huge and will be explored for years.
Lol too think that dark souls 1 took me over 50 hours to beat it in 2011 on 360. Haha. It is small in comparison
50 hours using a guide?
DS1 100% complete is 100+ hours for a blind first ever run.

Swift_Star

Banned
I get the feeling this is why we see so many 3d assets, animations and so forth being reused from Dark Souls 3 (and earlier). Might've been a case of doubling down on making content and fitting it into the idea of the map they came up with. I am fine with that compromise if that was the case.

I also am incredibly impressed by the implementation of Torrent. Sure it's arcadey as all hell but it works well and I enjoy mounted combat. When I first heard the rumor From was adding a mount I was positive it would be the jankiest thing ever and I'm so thrilled to be wrong. Balancing everything around the idea of mounted/on foot encounters also must have been a monumental amount of work.
I actually feel like fighting mounted on Torrent to be extremely janky.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I found it janky at first but got the hang of it and enjoy it now. It's certainly more loose and less precise than on foot but it's still good and meaty and it's fun to slay fools, whether troops or beasts. Just gotta know to not always lock on cos the camera can go WILD as you or the enemy run past.
I think you're only a little further than I am. How many hours/ what level are you at the moment?

I'm having the same issue and every time I have runes to level up it's becoming a minor dilemma. Vitality and Endurance are set for awhile and I was thinking about going quality so I could try most of the weapons but at this point I should be going hard on a specialization if I'm going to do it.
Still using a Broadsword because it's a work horse and everything is either too exotic or I don't like the moveset.

Anyone have any general guidance for the respec option? How late in the game can you do it/how expensive is it? Any reason a complete reset wouldn't work or is it more designed to help you min-max the build you're already using?
Like 30, I spent a LOT of time in the starting area and did a LOT of side stuff that opened up various advanced areas with enemies giving loads of souls before moving on, lol. I've been using the broadsword when I need more ability and otherwise/on horse the lordwhatever greatsword.

Is it worthwhile to explore the rest of the castle after beating Godric or there's not gonna much useful stuff there? Man those eagles are probably my worst normal enemy yet, lol. I was using side routes and shortcuts, or so I thought, but reached that fool pretty swiftly after all.

Some of the big knights were tough too so I should probably go back to get past them in some areas and see whatever lies beyond. Or maybe farm them a bit if they have good loot? I dunno.

I think I recall seeing an enemy that looked like the first impossible boss murdering you in the castle and I noped out of there, lol.

Last edited:
Played a bunch these past couple days. Saw many a wondrous thing, and vanquished fetid abominations and untold horrors.

Eventually I found a weird portal near a church that dumped me unceremoniously into a horrible place I'm pretty sure I wasn't supposed to be at. Strongly clenching my anus (I had some runes on me that would have hurt if lost), I found my way to a grace site and back to familiar territory, runes and anus intact.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Like 30, I spent a LOT of time in the starting area and did a LOT of side stuff that opened up various advanced areas with enemies giving loads of souls before moving on, lol. I've been using the broadsword when I need more ability and otherwise/on horse the lordwhatever greatsword.

Is it worthwhile to explore the rest of the castle after beating Godric or there's not gonna much useful stuff there? Man those eagles are probably my worst normal enemy yet, lol. I was using side routes and shortcuts, or so I thought, but reached that fool pretty swiftly after all.

Some of the big knights were tough too so I should probably go back to get past them in some areas and see whatever lies beyond. Or maybe farm them a bit if they have good loot? I dunno.

I think I recall seeing an enemy that looked like the first impossible boss murdering you in the castle and I noped out of there, lol.
Level 30 or 30 hours?! Assuming Level 30. Am just about to tie up most of the first map section myself at level 27 and then it's time for the castle. Just need to take down the Stormhill Evergaol. So I'm not the one to ask.

Judging from what others have said tho there's a TON of goodies in that old castle.

I actually feel like fighting mounted on Torrent to be extremely janky.

Like Alexios said and I agree the jankiest part of Torrent is the camera. I don't usually lock on but the lock on and the camera has always been terrible in Souls. I swear a lot of new players might have had a better time of it without the inclusion of lock on ...

Anyway Torrent is by no means some masterwork of coding but it works and I think it's fun and coming from From I imagined so much worse.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
I cleared Bloodborne x Harry Potter last night. After beating this boss
the option to respec opens up
. Loved the look and atmosphere of this place but I'd still give Stormveil the edge for overall design, that place is Anor Londo, Drangleic and Lothric all rolled into one.

I still have at least 50% of the lakes region to explore before I will finally move into the Eastern lands, I'm clearing each region methodically before going to the next. I mentioned in a previous post I spent 30 hours scouring West/East Limgrave + The Weeping Peninsula. Well I decided to go back anyway and explore some more, sure enough there was a bunch of stuff I missed. If you're convinced you've fully cleared an area I'm telling you you haven't, the sheer amount of content packed into this game is insane. Good thing I didn't play as a mage, somehow missed the sorcery NPC even though I'd been to that location, finally found her in my 45th hour (51 hours clocked now). 😂

Last edited:

hlm666

I was watching my nephew in a coop game last night (I was the coop partner I was watching ingame from a roof) using the apparently easymode caster when I noticed how much he struggled against great shields. I havn't played much with light weapons but can't small blades (daggers/katanas/straight swords) heavy attacks guard break shields? what are people playing casters doing against heavy shields, not that it matters I think he rage respecced after some shield guy in lyndel city out cast him with lightning while blocking all his pewpew.

Drunkdadbr

Banned
stumbled upon a considerable number of false walls... pay attention to the floors also, they too have them. Got a nice sword that shoot projectile/inflict status without using fp through one of them.

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Gold Member
stumbled upon a considerable number of false walls... pay attention to the floors also, they too have them. Got a nice sword that shoot projectile/inflict status without using fp through one of them.
Illusory ... floors?!

This in the early game or later on?

Last edited:

skneogaf

Played 51 hours so far and haven't read anything on here on purpose in case anything contains spoilers no matter how small.

A friend told me I must be bad at the game as a streamer he watches finished it in 3 days.

I said I bet I've seen more of the game than him as I'm trying to do as much as possible even if it takes months over going over inch by inch.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
I beat Godrick on first try! Damn I’m lucky. Margit and him first try. A bit over leveled, but I’m no souls pro either. Had 0 potions left on that one, a fuckup more and I was done.

What an epic fight. I did bear witness. Oh yes. I really hope FS implements a boss arena later ala Sekiro.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Decided to clear a world boss that I skipped before… which opened up something… which took me to a previously inaccessible part of an area…which took me to a huge secret area…which took me to a different secret area. And another. And i now have a new legendary weapon.

What a game. All of that could’ve been easily overlooked, but the devs trust in preserving the sense of exploration and awe.

Cracklox

Right, so posted a page or 2 back about being stuck in Sellia at level 15, and it was suggested I should be able to fast travel out after finding a grace site. Which I thought I had tried, but had turned the game off for the night so wasn't sure if I had maybe derped and tried while I was being chased or something.

I've just gone back in now, resting at the grace site outside of the 1st cave, bring up the map and all the grace sites have a red strike through them. If I click on any I get 'Cannot travel to a grace site from this location'

Am I missing something? I really need to get out of this hellhole and back to Limgrave. I literally only fast traveled once or twice so far, and those times I just did it from anywhere in the world iirc.

zkorejo

The game is addictive as hell. Idr when was the last time I was THIS invested in the game. Witcher 3 probably. Just can't stop playing once I start. It's always let me go there and check it out, finding new stuff, new enemies then looking for new site of grace.

Beat Godrik and the new area is really beautiful but has a spooky vibe to it. Seems mage heavy too. Really want to explore the academy, but idk if I should anytime soon.

I have gotten tons of weapons but sticking to my ugigatana. Can't find good looking armor pieces with better stats though. Still wearing the same stuff I got super early and it's still way better than most stuff I'm finding.

Edit: Godrick's remembrance power (fist) is nowhere near as cool as it was for him during the boss battle. Maybe it's underperforming because I'm under levelled.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I am a level 60 facing Radahn. First thing that I notice is while getting to that boss, there are 0 enemies. Nothing. I joined a co-op and I fought the knight. I have no idea how to trigger that, but then I tried co-op Radahn. I’ve managed to get him down to a quarter life and then the Host dies. There are a lot of people trying to do this fight. I’m somewhat worried cause I only have a +7 Grafted Blade greatsword and my attack level is over 400. I’m thinking I need to get this thing to a 10-15 before taking Radahn on myself. I can take 300-400 damage away from him, but he has a big health pool.

demigod

I am a level 60 facing Radahn. First thing that I notice is while getting to that boss, there are 0 enemies. Nothing. I joined a co-op and I fought the knight. I have no idea how to trigger that, but then I tried co-op Radahn. I’ve managed to get him down to a quarter life and then the Host dies. There are a lot of people trying to do this fight. I’m somewhat worried cause I only have a +7 Grafted Blade greatsword and my attack level is over 400. I’m thinking I need to get this thing to a 10-15 before taking Radahn on myself. I can take 300-400 damage away from him, but he has a big health pool.
I used the same sword but i was like lvl 84. I jousted him and let the summoned spirits tank him. He’s just way too fast otherwise.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Played 51 hours so far and haven't read anything on here on purpose in case anything contains spoilers no matter how small.

A friend told me I must be bad at the game as a streamer he watches finished it in 3 days.

I said I bet I've seen more of the game than him as I'm trying to do as much as possible even if it takes months over going over inch by inch.
If your friend beat it in 3 days he literally missed 70% of the game, that isn't even an exaggeration. Good call not reading through the thread, way too many unmarked spoilers. We have about the same amount of time clocked and I'm methodically searching every inch of the map too, praise the Ring. 🙏

Pejo

Anybody else getting a ton of crashes since this update that went today on Steam? Mostly when I'm trying to help out others and join their co-op session.

DLC for this game is going to be mind blowing. I’m just imagining the possibilities. So much cool and strange shit has already happened… I just met Blaidd and a ton of other NPCs, there’s like 3 different quest lines that have my attention right now

Last edited:
Haven't been this addicted to a game in a while. Did some nice progress in game yesterday too and did another 3-4 bosses. Have done all bosses that awards bronze trophies now

Hope i can get the platinum without doing runs in NG+ or NG+2.

Beat the boss that is the statue in the collector's edition. Both a cool fight and grueling and at times annoying too. Crazy to think it's a optional boss i had to look up quite complex steps to even find.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Decided to clear a world boss that I skipped before… which opened up something… which took me to a previously inaccessible part of an area…which took me to a huge secret area…which took me to a different secret area. And another. And i now have a new legendary weapon.

What a game. All of that could’ve been easily overlooked, but the devs trust in preserving the sense of exploration and awe.
Yeah, I think part of the charm of From games was that they were not afraid to create a lot of content that can be skipped and missed. This is the exact opposite of Western game development philosophy that makes sure you show everything to the player.
That was one of the major changes in WoW and the reason they introduced LFR mechanic - they didn’t want players to miss on content.

Cracking Up Reaction GIF

bitbydeath

I killed Godrick, and then went back and cleared all the previous bosses that were previously too hard in Limrick. Finally getting some really good equipment.

Moments like that put it above Bloodborne/Souls games. Has that Elder Scrolls Morrowind feel that was sadly lost in later entries.

Last edited:

Trunim

Can anyone recommend this game if you're exhausted from the teenage open world games that comes out with your standard story that belongs in the shitter, uninteresting discoveries, bleak characters and crying NPCs that can do fuck all by themselves and wants you running errands for them for some shit exp?

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Anyone else overwhelmed by the choice of weapons and just stuck to their guns?

I'm on a +14 longsword because I just can't find something that feels better. I kinda want a decent katana but from what I've heard the good ones are still out of reach for me in the final zone.

Majukun

Sounds like the problem is on your end.
Uninstall the drivers and do a fresh install.
Also check your gpu for overheating and clean the dust out of it.
found other people with the same isue since yesterday, and seems connected to the small update released yesterday.
already did revert to previous drivers and nothing changed, reinstalling the new ones didn't do anything either
also, i'm on a laptop, so no easy access to gpu

Majukun

are there specific tiers of weapons?
or you mean unique weapons like the bloodhound fang and other similiar "unique" weapons?

Speaking of finding new areas, i like the risk/reward mechanic of the warping traps

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
I cleared Bloodborne x Harry Potter last night. After beating this boss
the option to respec opens up
. Loved the look and atmosphere of this place but I'd still give Stormveil the edge for overall design, that place is Anor Londo, Drangleic and Lothric all rolled into one.

I still have at least 50% of the lakes region to explore before I will finally move into the Eastern lands, I'm clearing each region methodically before going to the next. I mentioned in a previous post I spent 30 hours scouring West/East Limgrave + The Weeping Peninsula. Well I decided to go back anyway and explore some more, sure enough there was a bunch of stuff I missed. If you're convinced you've fully cleared an area I'm telling you you haven't, the sheer amount of content packed into this game is insane. Good thing I didn't play as a mage, somehow missed the sorcery NPC even though I'd been to that location, finally found her in my 45th hour (51 hours clocked now). 😂
That’s so funny you missed the sorcery NPC. I nearly missed them as well but thankfully bought a few spells from them. They’re not the greatest for what they cost but need to experiment.

That is the greatest thing about this game that each player will have a completely unique experience the first time round, and probably multiple times through. From have created an incredible world here.

SJRB

Gold Member
Am I missing something or does the spirit ashes upgrade vendor show nothing about what is actually improved when upgrading?

I upgraded my wolves to +2 but I can't for the life of me find out what that even means. Weird omission not to add stats to that upgrade menu.

Top Bottom