• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

bitbydeath

Can anyone recommend this game if you're exhausted from the teenage open world games that comes out with your standard story that belongs in the shitter, uninteresting discoveries, bleak characters and crying NPCs that can do fuck all by themselves and wants you running errands for them for some shit exp?
This is none of that.
You can do some errands but they are minimal and usually lead to new items/weapons/etc

Realizing you only have 4 boss trophies left and probably not much game left until ending 🥲

Hope you can still explore and such after credits like in Sekiro and Dark Souls 3..

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Pop it on last night after installing it.
Fucker hard crash the PS5 on the launch screen 😳
No Way Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Went back to Horizon FW until they fix that shit

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
This game is amazing. I went to a corner of the map hoping to find an item or maybe a little dungeon, but ended up finding a whole area to explore, with some cool fights and even a boss at the end.

I'm in awe with this game. I thought the honey moon period would go away but nah, this is just one of the best games I've played.

shubik

This game is living rent-free in my head. If I´m not playing, I´m thinking about it. I honestly can´t remember when I had something like this the last time...

And this is coming from someone who bounced off Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 because of difficulty. I´m 20 hours in, level 32 prisoner, and yet have to beat Godrick.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Pop it on last night after installing it.
Fucker hard crash the PS5 on the launch screen 😳
No Way Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Went back to Horizon FW until they fix that shit
Sorry to hear that. I have had no crashes whatsoever on PS5 and been playing hard since launch.

Cyberpunk crashed my fresh PS5 last year a few times and it got binned until the recent next gen update. Still haven’t even got out of the first area in that game really and it is now irrelevant with Elden Ring and GT7 probably going to take up most of my time for the next few months.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Where is the location that you fight intro genichiro with 20 arms ?
I am ready to return there lol

MastAndo

Anyone have any general guidance for the respec option? How late in the game can you do it/how expensive is it? Any reason a complete reset wouldn't work or is it more designed to help you min-max the build you're already using?
To keep things vague, you eventually acquire the ability to respec from a particular someone that you will meet during the main story path. You take an item you find in the world to them, and you can reset back to the default stats for your class, getting back all the attribute points you earned.

I just acquired the ability and I'm about 20 hours in, level 50, but I've been taking things pretty slow. It can be acquired sooner than that. I also had the item needed, as I just happened upon one not realizing what it was for. I believe they're fairly abundant.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Anyone else overwhelmed by the choice of weapons and just stuck to their guns?

I'm on a +14 longsword because I just can't find something that feels better. I kinda want a decent katana but from what I've heard the good ones are still out of reach for me in the final zone.
Pretty sure my first run in every Souls game was with a Longsword. Great moveset. Versatile. Fast. Shit for PvP but you could always carry a secondary.

I'm 19 hours into Elden Ring and still using a +3 Broadsword so obviously my tastes haven't changed that much (haven't found the Longsword yet and I miss its thrust R2).

But this time I'll use something exotic. Really. I mean it.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Where is the location that you fight intro genichiro with 20 arms ?
I am ready to return there lol

It's not Stormveil, you have to go to The Four Belfries on the western edge of the map just northwest of Raya Lucaria Academy, run to the top to get the key from the 4th Belfry and then use it on the SECOND one (as you go up the hill) to port back to the start zone.

You get a pretty cool sword from beating the intro boss

SJRB

Gold Member
It's not Stormveil, you have to go to The Four Belfries on the western edge of the map just northwest of Raya Lucaria Academy, run to the top to get the key from the 4th Belfry and then use it on the SECOND one (as you go up the hill) to port back to the start zone.

The scion you fight in the first few minutes is 100% in Stormveil Castle. It patrols the room with all the limbs hanging off the ceiling.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
The scion you fight in the first few minutes is 100% in Stormveil Castle. It patrols the room with all the limbs hanging off the ceiling.

It's the same model but not the one you fight at the beginning of the game. You begin the game in the Chapel of Anticipation and can get back their via the teleporter in the Four Belfries. You fight it and it drops a sword that turns into 2 swords when you "2 hand" it.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Pretty sure my first run in every Souls game was with a Longsword. Great moveset. Versatile. Fast. Shit for PvP but you could always carry a secondary.

I'm 19 hours into Elden Ring and still using a +3 Broadsword so obviously my tastes haven't changed that much (haven't found the Longsword yet and I miss its thrust R2).

But this time I'll use something exotic. Really. I mean it.

I'm in the same boat as you guys. Played through the entirety of DS3 with longsword and here I am playing with it again. Only at +3 atm because I really want to play with something else.. It feels so good to play with though lol

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

thanks!
I just read up to belfries in your post, went and did that and also chosen the 2nd teleporter because messages said "revange".
I remember discovering the portals before but completely forgot about them. nice.
he was super easy now haha

Last edited:

Majukun

is there someone who sells the item to upgrade your weapons?
stuck with a base sword because i can't find those damn things around

it doesn't help i'm using the bloodhound's fang, so i ned the spexial kind of that item

jadefire66

Anyone else overwhelmed by the choice of weapons and just stuck to their guns?

I'm on a +14 longsword because I just can't find something that feels better. I kinda want a decent katana but from what I've heard the good ones are still out of reach for me in the final zone.

Yeah I just stuck to the Uchigatana (started with it since I picked the Samurai class). Since I upgraded it asap and was comfortable with it, I just went all in on it. Never used another weapon lol. Sure I'd like to also have some big weapon that staggers harder enemies but I'll either deal with this some other time or on another playthrough.

• Strength
Reactions: AV

AV

it doesn't help i'm using the bloodhound's fang, so i ned the spexial kind of that item

Yes, up to a point at least. One is in the hold though you may need to give the vendor a certain item first. The other is in Liurnia on the road to a castle. Check here for more details if you don't want to discover them on your own

Corrik

I don't want any spoilers so I won't read anything beyond the replies to this post specifically, but would some of you be willing to rank Elden Ring, Demon Souls, Bloodborne, Dark Souls 1 2 3, and Sekiro in order of how good they are in comparison. I only played Dark Souls 3, Bloodborne, and Demon Souls so far, but I do have Sekiro and probably am going to pick this up also. Just curious to see how you would rank them against each other.

Last edited:

Aesius

Yeah I just stuck to the Uchigatana (started with it since I picked the Samurai class). Since I upgraded it asap and was comfortable with it, I just went all in on it. Never used another weapon lol. Sure I'd like to also have some big weapon that staggers harder enemies but I'll either deal with this some other time or on another playthrough.
I’m still on my longsword starter weapon. I managed to get it to +17 pretty early but haven’t found any smithing stones beyond that to take it further in probably 10 hours of play. I’m guessing those are all deep in the endgame areas.

AV

I don't want any spoilers so I won't read anything beyond the replies to this post specifically, but would some of you be willing to rank Elden Ring, Demon Souls, Bloodborne, Dark Souls 1 2 3, and Sekiro in order of how good they are in comparison. I only played Dark Souls 3, Bloodborne, and Demon Souls so far, but I do have Sekiro and probably am going to pick this up also. Just curious to see how you would rank them against each other.

I tried and couldn't do it. It's also too early to tell with Elden Ring (but it's probably the best ever). Here's the best I could do.

Glorious: Elden Ring, Sekiro, Demon's Souls PS5
Glorious but shows age / has tech issues: Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Demon's Souls PS3
Great but feels a bit tired: Dark Souls 3
Still great but the least great: Dark Souls 2

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
So..i think the performance issues for the game on pc are caused by the nvidia drivers.
So far didn't have many technical issues..sure a bit of lowish framerate on some instances but nothing absurd.

yesterday i made the mistake of updating my drivers..and now the game is unplayable, with many stutters and sometime straight up freeze that were not there before

any way to revert to the previous drivers?
I updated my nvidia drivers before starting playing and i had almost zero problems, not sure if this is the problem.
Have you used ddu to remove the old drivers? I always do a clean install.

P.s. is there a way to be able to see messages on the ground from other countries\other languages?? Italian are shit when it comes to messages...

Do i need to set steam in eng?

Last edited:

jadefire66

Dark Souls: 9.5/10
Bloodborne: 9/10
Demon's Souls: 8/10
Dark Souls II: 7/10
Sekiro: 7/10
Dark Souls III: 6/10

Not sure how I'd rate Elden Ring so far, probably between DS2 and Sekiro.

Each zone has one "tunnel mine" that will give you those items. Check online for maps to them or just look for a little butthole on the map and clear them as you progress.

Great OT Black Chamber Black Chamber - I'm really trying to clean up Forbidden West to dive in and give this full attention :eek: At least I have lots of catching up to do with hints and tips
🙏🏻Thank you!!🙏🏻

I'm glad you enjoyed it💯
LOL What an epic OT. Do Americans still have that ridiculous data cap plans on their interwebs? XD
🙏🏻Thank you🙏🏻

I felt compelled to create an OT that was worthy of the game - I hope I succeeded.

Last edited:

AV

But is it possible to farm those? Because the items don't reset I gather.

Stones also drop from mobs, but you do eventually unlock vendors to buy them at various points in the game. I don't know if every stone is infinite but the first few levels definitely are.

But is it possible to farm those? Because the items don't reset I gather.
If you beat the boss in one of the mines it gives you an item to give to the sisters at the roundtable and then you can buy the first two types. Beating another mine boss later on gives you an item you give to the sisters so you can buy (3) and (4).

Swift_Star

Banned
If you beat the boss in one of the mines it gives you an item to give to the sisters at the roundtable and then you can buy the first two types. Beating another mine boss later on gives you an item you give to the sisters so you can buy (3) and (4).
That’s really good to know. Just have to find the mines now. I’ve been to two I think and the second one had a really ugly boss with a lance. Is that one of them?

That’s really good to know. Just have to find the mines now. I’ve been to two I think and the second one had a really ugly boss with a lance. Is that one of them?
The 3rd one in progression is at Raya Lucaria is the one that drops the item at the boss fight if I remember correct. Just be patient and grab what you can, Jellyfish up and kill them final bosses.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
So I finally managed to get the summon bell after 16 hours. Whoever thought it was a great idea to have that only show up at night should get a written warning.

However, I still can't summon anything. I have like 10 summons but I can't equip the bell. When I equip summons, nothing happens.

AV

Best place to grind in the early game has to be those giants by the Warmaster's Shack right? Easy to kill on the horse and 1000 runes each kill.

It's probably not bad, but honestly just exploring the map nets you good runes while avoiding burnout, you really don't need to grind in ER.

So I finally managed to get the summon bell after 16 hours. Whoever thought it was a great idea to have that only show up at night should get a written warning.

However, I still can't summon anything. I have like 10 summons but I can't equip the bell. When I equip summons, nothing happens.

You equip the summon itself but you can only use it in certain areas, mostly boss fights, and even then not all boss fights. The icon will light up from greyed out if you can.

Markio128

Gold Member
Played for 10 hours now as a wretch. Killed a couple of mid-bosses and explored quite a large part of the 1st area. Sill getting rinsed off the main boss though. Fun times.
Sarcastic Season 9 GIF by The Office

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
You equip the summon itself but you can only use it in certain areas, mostly boss fights, and even then not all boss fights. The icon will light up from greyed out if you can.
That's a weird system. Alrighty then, thank you.

april6e

Best place to grind in the early game has to be those giants by the Warmaster's Shack right? Easy to kill on the horse and 1000 runes each kill.

doubtful. Linne's Rise in Caelid (the boulder trap) is the best exp grind and you could ride there without too much trouble

Top Bottom