• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Is there any use for a Sacred tear other than making my Flask stronger? Because I don't want to miss out but have super strong flasks.

Sleepwalker

Finally got to start, picked up an astrologer because I usually do melee characters and I wanted a change. Only played an hour or so, got destroyed by the sentinel, skipped him and made my way to stormgate, got destroyed by the archers and the giant there :messenger_tears_of_joy:

got no idea what im doing and i love it. Not sure if I wanna change into a different class tho as when my magic runs out im basically useless.

Freeman76

Realizing you only have 4 boss trophies left and probably not much game left until ending 🥲

Hope you can still explore and such after credits like in Sekiro and Dark Souls 3..
Jesus, thats what happens when you rush though. Im still chillin at Liurnia with 45 hours under my belt and 4 more regions yet to explore. Games like this are once a decade, it needs to be savoured.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
got no idea what im doing and i love it. Not sure if I wanna change into a different class tho as when my magic runs out im basically useless.

You can get weapons that scale with INT to use when you run out of mana, no need to change class. You can also respec after the 2nd big boss if you still don't quite like where you've put your points.

Is there any use for a Sacred tear other than making my Flask stronger? Because I don't want to miss out but have super strong flasks.

Nope, pump that flask. It's one of the biggest upgrades you can get.

Freeman76

This don’t need no dlc. The game is huge and will be explored for years.
Lol too think that dark souls 1 took me over 50 hours to beat it in 2011 on 360. Haha. It is small in comparison

Of course it will need DLC, From make good size add ons and this has the potential for a couple of new zones over the years.

Also, 'explored for years'? Lmao ever heard of the internet?? This will be datamined and ripped apart and within a month no stone on this map will be unturned.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Do i have to kill the sorceress after buying everything to get that stone head she has? Looks sooo good. Like a ancient Rome statue

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Gotta say, Confessor sucks so far. Haven't found a single new piece of armor in 16 hours worth wearing. Haven't been able to get to light equip load or find any light armor, despite the class described as a stealthy Dex/Faith build. Haven't found a single bow in the game. Haven't found a single faith spell that's really worth investing any faith into. Healing flasks and save spots are extremely plentiful in this game. Stealth is not as impactful as was advertised pre-release.

Only new thing I've found is the darth maul sword and flail, both of which are okay, but not what I really would want to focus on.

I'd advise anyone to avoid picking this class.

Swift_Star

Banned
Gotta say, Confessor sucks so far. Haven't found a single new piece of armor in 16 hours worth wearing. Haven't been able to get to light equip load or find any light armor, despite the class described as a stealthy Dex/Faith build. Haven't found a single bow in the game. Haven't found a single faith spell that's really worth investing any faith into. Healing flasks and save spots are extremely plentiful in this game. Stealth is not as impactful as was advertised pre-release.

Only new thing I've found is the darth maul sword and flail, both of which are okay, but not what I really would want to focus on.

Yeah, the faith spells are trash as of now. I got the fire sling one and use it sometimes but... it doesn't feel worth it.

zkorejo

Armor loot is different for all classes? I can't find any good armor for samurai either.

NickFire

You can get weapons that scale with INT to use when you run out of mana, no need to change class. You can also respec after the 2nd big boss if you still don't quite like where you've put your points.
I did not know that. This game is crazy deep on what you can do.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23

Nope, pump that flask. It's one of the biggest upgrades you can get.
Awesome when I get home today I will add to the charge.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I did not know that. This game is crazy deep on what you can do.

If you can't find one, there are quite a few magic-based ashes of war that will add an INT modifier to another weapon of your choosing. Rogier at the hold sells one for only 1500 that you can use on swords and polearms that will increase the INT scaling, and this gets even better if you upgrade the weapon to +10.

Kind of a confusing mess but that's Souls, just takes some figuring out.

GermanZepp

Astrologer i think lvl 35 here. i´m still wearing the default light clothes and the "Modify clothes" option you get after a while it only allowed me to decrease to a shittier state.

Agreed stealth is anecdotical. There are at lest
bows acording to the wiki.

There are a LOT of incantations for faith build. But you got to hold on a lot. Im doing a Faith/Int build and just a recently get some worthy spells.

AV

It's clear I should have played Bandit like I originally was leaning towards.

Samurai, Astrologer and Hero seem like the best classes.

Vagabond worked out fine for me as someone who likes to play sword+shield knights in Souls.

You can respec after the 2nd boss (using limited items, 11 in the game I think) but you can never reduce stats below their starting point, so wretch is of course the GOAT, but very hard to start.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
I had a great time yesterday. Fought a dragon and won, then shoved it in samurai Yojimbos face after he said I was dumb for picking the fight. I made friends with a wolf man, and I got jealous of his sword. Took a cool picture of us hanging out. I went to a castle delivered a letter, but then it was too late after I helped dude protect his castle. That fight with Lionine was very fun. The game does something great it feels like it isn't that big, then you can just keep going and there is more to find.

I found Zweihander which made me extremely happy as I think that was the sword I used in DS2. I love the sword even though the swing is SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW. But it hits like a truck.

5JWmkQH.jpg

somesang

Dang, I'm having an opposite experience. Started with an int/dex build using Moonveil, definitely strong but started a new character to play with faith. Yeah, the stealth is lackluster but I'm prioritizing faith, largely ignoring stealth unless there's a critical opening. Early to mid game has been super smooth. The fire-hand thing and the fireball has been clutch for early incantations. Things aren't melting as quickly but the gameplay has been engaging.

That said, I'm still using the starting armor and broadsword/shield. Broadsword has Sacred Blade and shield has no ability so I can easily use the weapon skill. Definitely a less aggressive play style than I'm used to but fun nonetheless.

NickFire

If you can't find one, there are quite a few magic-based ashes of war that will add an INT modifier to another weapon of your choosing. Rogier at the hold sells one for only 1500 that you can use on swords and polearms that will increase the INT scaling, and this gets even better if you upgrade the weapon to +10.

Kind of a confusing mess but that's Souls, just takes some figuring out.
Is it worth investing in faith as astrologer? I had been but then got hit with the no save bug. Last night I got my level back up and ignored faith because I wasn’t sure it was offering much when I was trying to upgrade it. I only upgraded it a little so I’m not sure if it was lack of upgrades or not really a focus for astrologers.

I think my biggest criticism the more I play is how annoying a lot of bosses are to fight. The fact many of them move or attack so fast and can hit you with 5+ combos that blow past your stamina bar and they can spam their special attacks over and over make it such a slog to fight them because you just have to wait for a tiny opening, get a hit or two in and then roll, block, roll, roll, block, get a hit or two in. To make the fights tolerable and not take forever without summoning, you need to try to poison the boss or maybe use blood loss. Their ultra fast auto tracking also eliminates a lot of strategic movement because they are almost always facing you and the long range attacks that somehow let them stretch out like Dhalsim are annoying as well. I don't remember boss fights in the original Dark Souls being this annoying.
From what I've seen of the bosses in this game(the ones that aren't super gigantic), they're based more on Dark Souls 3 and Sekiro's design of swimmingly-fast swirly strikes or hyper aggression. It's like someone told the director that people loved Dancer of the Boreal Valley and he said "let's make even more bosses who do the same movements"

The best advice I can give if you're going shieldless is to take advantage of the 2handed block and immediate counter attack(which means timing your blocks perfectly Sekiro-style) and also take advantage of your jumps. A lot of people are forgetting they have a jump skill/verticality and they're treating the bosses like traditional Dark Souls bosses. The game is telling you no.

Last edited:

AV

Is it worth investing in faith as astrologer? I had been but then got hit with the no save bug. Last night I got my level back up and ignored faith because I wasn’t sure it was offering much when I was trying to upgrade it. I only upgraded it a little so I’m not sure if it was lack of upgrades or not really a focus for astrologers.

Astrologer is more INT than FAI from what I understand but it totally depends what you want to do, if you see a weapon or miracle you really want to use that requires FAI then you'll need the points. Don't overthink it, you can respec later, just go with what feels right.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
This is the first game I have played in the modern era that I feel like needs a LOT more tutorializing. Like holy fuck, I see that spells are a thing but I have no idea how to cast one, I know that buffs are a thing but not how they work... There's nothing in game that tells me how to do anything.

Macattk15

This is the first game I have played in the modern era that I feel like needs a LOT more tutorializing. Like holy fuck, I see that spells are a thing but I have no idea how to cast one, I know that buffs are a thing but not how they work... There's nothing in game that tells me how to do anything.

Sit at spot of grace. Memorize spells. Equip staff or something that can shoot spells. Select spell (I believe they get mapped to the UP button on controllers). Click button.

Watch a beginner prep guide on YouTube. Seriously, spend the 10-15 minutes to save yourself 10-15 hours of frustration. There are people who literally don't know you can swing your sword on the LEFT while riding your horse after multiple hours of gameplay.

Respecced last night from pure unga bunga STR build into some weird Faith over STR hybrid because I found a sweet Art of War for my Greatsword that makes it scale with Faith. Now I'm dealing even MORE damage and have options for incantations. The Beast Claw is pretty damn good for clearing out rooms and low on FP usage. I'm finding the cast time for the dragon abilities a bit too long for my liking, though... but they're very cool looking!

Coolest thing I've done so far involved jumping my horse off a platform, onto a giant tree/root in order to access a massive tower. Once I was on the tower I had to do some questionable platforming but thankfully people left messages and the traces of characters helped guide me in the right direction. Killed a few guards that were near ladders and eventually made my way to top of the tower and found a Grace site. One door was locked and the other direction has some relatively strong guards, a bit too challenging right now but I'll be back to explore it further.

It's in the eastern area where the sky is red and all that.

Just one of those times where all the mechanics just blended together in a beautiful way.

This game is just so damn fun, I still don't think it's the GOAT but it doesn't have to be. I'm having an absolute blast with it and that's all that matters to me.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Not sure which sorceress you are referring too. Might be an NPC I haven't met yet.

I do know there is an enemy that drops one of those stone head things guaranteed in the Academy area.

Nah Its pretty early on. I'll google it. Thanks for your response

Azurro

Banned
I can't get past the first boss. 😭

Still, the game is brilliant, I went off to explore since I was failing against that boss, and the enemy placement is still stellar.

The mechanics feel like the most refined soulsborne game to date and I actually do not dread exploring the open world, because it's actually interesting. I already hated the copy/paste by the numbers AC games and after this, it'll be difficult to get back to playing those games.

Jack Nicholson Reaction GIF

Pain is weakness leaving the body, embrace it (or be like me and watch YouTube videos, lol)

Last edited:

Aesius

Coolest thing I've done so far involved jumping my horse off a platform, onto a giant tree/root in order to access a massive tower. Once I was on the tower I had to do some questionable platforming but thankfully people left messages and the traces of characters helped guide me in the right direction. Killed a few guards that were near ladders and eventually made my way to top of the tower and found a Grace site. One door was locked and the other direction has some relatively strong guards, a bit too challenging right now but I'll be back to explore it further.

It's in the eastern area where the sky is red and all that.

Just one of those times where all the mechanics just blended together in a beautiful way.

This game is just so damn fun, I still don't think it's the GOAT but it doesn't have to be. I'm having an absolute blast with it and that's all that matters to me.
There's even more platforming once you get inside and a super tough boss for your trouble at the end.

Pejo

Holy shiet the godlike art direction in this game

FM7r4bTVcAguY0M
This is exactly the kind of thing that (in my opinion) bluepoint got completely wrong with the DeS remake. FROM are gods among men at art design and atmosphere, even if not always pushing technical boundaries with their games. I'd much rather have this than "generic gothic castle with a bunch of ivy"

Top Bottom