• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

Mossybrew

That said, I'm still using the starting armor and broadsword/shield. Broadsword has Sacred Blade and shield has no ability so I can easily use the weapon skill. Definitely a less aggressive play style than I'm used to but fun nonetheless.

Also playing Confessor, but I've replaced all my armor at this point, which is a shame because my guy doesn't look cool anymore. Just got Barricade Shield last night which should help, I tend to block more than roll. I've found several weapons but none seem markedly better than that starting sword yet.

gonna play it in few minutes!
DSC_0045.JPG

still not sure about which class to go with

Tbh I really thought I won't gonna buy it that early because I had GT7 preordered but oh well :d

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
gonna play it in few minutes!
DSC_0045.JPG

still not sure about which class to go with

Tbh I really thought I won't gonna buy it that early because I had GT7 preordered but oh well :d
Try them all for 10 min. Whatever you start with in terms of armor and weapon could easily be what you're stuck with for 20 hours. 100% less gear than in any other Souls game. Starting choice is a lot more significant.

SSfox

This is exactly the kind of thing that (in my opinion) bluepoint got completely wrong with the DeS remake. FROM are gods among men at art design and atmosphere, even if not always pushing technical boundaries with their games. I'd much rather have this than "generic gothic castle with a bunch of ivy"
Absolutely, graphics no matter how good it can be but it will get surpassed with the time, but awesome art direction never get old.

Tho i loved Demon's Souls remake a lot, but i agree FS touch has something special that is just unmatched, one of the best if not the best dev in modern gaming era.

Last edited:
I can't get past the first boss. 😭

Still, the game is brilliant, I went off to explore since I was failing against that boss, and the enemy placement is still stellar.

The mechanics feel like the most refined soulsborne game to date and I actually do not dread exploring the open world, because it's actually interesting. I already hated the copy/paste by the numbers AC games and after this, it'll be difficult to get back to playing those games.
How much time have you put into the game? I beat him pretty early on, like 2 hours in, mostly because my buddy was insisting on it. I haven't bothered with any main quest related things since. There's so much stuff to explore, if you haven't been venturing out far and wide, definitely do so. I'll honestly probably be at 30-40 hours before I even consider seeking out the 2nd boss.

Don't forget to use the summons to help assist, the wolf pack is useful and they aren't difficult to level up if you've accessed that feature in the Roundtable area. Just gotta talk to the Blacksmith and Girl with the red hood a few times. She'll eventually move to the Blacksmith room and will upgrade your summons for you.

There's also an item called Margit's Shackle that you can buy from Patches for 5k runes, it's in a cave not too far from the beginning section. It's in a ravine with shallow water. He'll fight you at the end of the cave but it's easy and mid-way through he begs for mercy, don't kill him, once you leave and come back he'll sell you items. The item binds Margit to the ground when he does his attack that causes his wood sword to pierce the ground. I think it's only effective twice though and only in the first section of his fight.

Basically, if you're focused on beating the bosses, PLEASE STOP. Go explore, level up, do anything other than focusing on taking on the main bosses or sub-bosses.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
No don't attack her or you will screw yourself and have to reset NPC affinity. You will get those cool looking head pieces later in the game.

😭

I'm not one to attack NPCs so yeah...

Thanks for your fromesque response <3

Last edited:

Doom85

Should I let this lady hug me that is sitting on the bed?

No Way Reaction GIF by BrownSugarApp

This is the Elden Ring thread, please go to Off Topic for personal matters in your bedroom.

JK, yeah she gives you an item that temporarily boosts physical damage reduction and poise, but after hugging her you get a 5% HP loss debuff until the item is used. So best save to grab one right before a boss fight you might need it or something like that.

Don’t underestimate rot…there is also a summon that inflicts rot

When rot procs on a boss it is a permanent life drain, it can even kill them

I switched summons to this one for now, rot doesn’t do a lot of dmg but given that it appears that aeonian butterflies are a limited resource that don’t respawn, this is a great alternative

protonion

I really hope we get a complete official guide for this.

The amount of things to experience at every corner is unreal. And everything feels unique.

FROM nailed the open world design at their first try. Best developer at the moment hands down.

is there a better feeling than this? went to level up, exact soul amount, zero waste

77502c33-838c-4605-acde-55ffee09dd1e.png

Don't forget when you see an elevator to try running over the trigger and jump off of it quickly as there might be something below.
yeah I don't think this is going into spoiler territory since I'll keep it vague, but that's how I found my wolf mask

which is still the best melee mask I've found so far

I see the quest log bullshit has joined the easy mode bullshit as a way for people to whinge about Elden Ring and From Software’s game philosophy.

A quest log would ruin the sense of immersion. In Elden Ring you’re cast adrift in a massive, super dense open world, and you will not see everything it has to offer. That’s a deliberate design philosophy. They don’t want you to just tick off side quest boxes. They want you to explore and discover… even if that means you miss stuff.

Because that’s FUN. It’s engaging. I’ve had more surprises and shocks in the thirty hours of Elden Ring than in any other game. That goes out of the window, if I have a big shopping list of things that have been prescribed for me to do.

Every moan about Souls games basically boils down to “it’s not like other games… waaah”.
Seriously, it's honestly kind of pathetic. Anyone remotely interested in video games has likely heard of the brutal difficulty in Souls games and that they are kind of like modern NES titles. It's the reason they're so appealing. There is no shortage of games that provide easy modes and quest logs. The moaning is just beyond me. Embrace the game and conquer it or just move on. Whining about it just makes you look like a child.

SCB3

I really hope we get a complete official guide for this.

The amount of things to experience at every corner is unreal. And everything feels unique.

FROM nailed the open world design at their first try. Best developer at the moment hands down.
The Sekiro one took a while but it was damned thorough

NickFire

is there a better feeling than this? went to level up, exact soul amount, zero waste

77502c33-838c-4605-acde-55ffee09dd1e.png

yeah I don't think this is going into spoiler territory since I'll keep it vague, but that's how I found my wolf mask

which is still the best melee mask I've found so far
Hmmm. This is my first experience with this series, and all that vigor and dexterity, but only 12 strength and not an obvious magic build, is very interesting. Is dexterity more important than strength for melee? I never would have thought that.

Hmmm. This is my first experience with this series, and all that vigor and dexterity, but only 12 strength and not an obvious magic build, is very interesting. Is dexterity more important than strength for melee? I never would have thought that.
depends on your build

strength is good, generally speaking, if you like big heavy weapons that deal a ton of damage but have slow move sets/animations

dexterity is good if you like weapons that tend to attack faster but deal less damage

it's all preference, I played strength build in DS3 and while I had a good time, I decided to go dexterity this time and it is definitely more suited for my play style

I like that the weapons swing faster

keep in mind most decent shields have pretty noticeable strength requirements. so if you want to use a shield, you may need to invest in strength or use a shield with a very low str requirement

for my build I use dual katanas (sometimes I just use one if 2 is over kill, it drains less stamina) and a bow

some weapons scale with strength, some with dexterity. so your damage output will increase based on one or the other.

there are also quality builds and quality weapons, which scale with both strength AND dexterity, so that is an option as well

Last edited:

NickFire

depends on your build

strength is good, generally speaking, if you like big heavy weapons that deal a ton of damage but have slow move sets/animations

dexterity is good if you like weapons that tend to attack faster but deal less damage

it's all preference, I played strength build in DS3 and while I had a good time, I decided to go dexterity this time and it is definitely more suited for my play style

I like that the weapons swing faster

keep in mind most decent shields have pretty noticeable strength requirements. so if you want to use a shield, you may need to invest in strength or use a shield with a very low str requirement

for my build I use dual katanas (sometimes I just use one if 2 is over kill, it drains less stamina) and a bow
I'm building astrologer, but like to have some melee ability. I am definitely going to copy the dexterity >>>>strength model now. Thank you.

I'm building astrologer, but like to have some melee ability. I am definitely going to copy the dexterity >>>>strength model now. Thank you.
without getting into spoiler territory, I have run into some AMAZING weapons that scale with both dexterity and intelligence

I mean, weapons that looked so damn amazing it made me want to jump back on my prisoner (prisoner starts off with decent dex/int)

dex/int is DEFINITELY viable. I mean these weapons looked cool as fuck.

JK, yeah she gives you an item that temporarily boosts physical damage reduction and poise, but after hugging her you get a 5% HP loss debuff until the item is used. So best save to grab one right before a boss fight you might need it or something like that.
What is the name of this item? I first hugged her a long time ago and have absolutely no idea what she gave me lol

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Official threads are not for shitting on the game or its fans.
Seriously, it's honestly kind of pathetic. Anyone remotely interested in video games has likely heard of the brutal difficulty in Souls games and that they are kind of like modern NES titles. It's the reason they're so appealing. There is no shortage of games that provide easy modes and quest logs. The moaning is just beyond me. Embrace the game and conquer it or just move on. Whining about it just makes you look like a child.
The typical Souls fanbase sentiment is alive and well I see. Zero criticism or dissenting opinions allowed. But don't make a separate thread to voice complaints either. Just unanimous praise or it's the user's fault 100% of the time.

Azurro

Banned
How much time have you put into the game? I beat him pretty early on, like 2 hours in, mostly because my buddy was insisting on it. I haven't bothered with any main quest related things since. There's so much stuff to explore, if you haven't been venturing out far and wide, definitely do so. I'll honestly probably be at 30-40 hours before I even consider seeking out the 2nd boss.

Don't forget to use the summons to help assist, the wolf pack is useful and they aren't difficult to level up if you've accessed that feature in the Roundtable area. Just gotta talk to the Blacksmith and Girl with the red hood a few times. She'll eventually move to the Blacksmith room and will upgrade your summons for you.

There's also an item called Margit's Shackle that you can buy from Patches for 5k runes, it's in a cave not too far from the beginning section. It's in a ravine with shallow water. He'll fight you at the end of the cave but it's easy and mid-way through he begs for mercy, don't kill him, once you leave and come back he'll sell you items. The item binds Margit to the ground when he does his attack that causes his wood sword to pierce the ground. I think it's only effective twice though and only in the first section of his fight.

Basically, if you're focused on beating the bosses, PLEASE STOP. Go explore, level up, do anything other than focusing on taking on the main bosses or sub-bosses.

Yeah, I'm not shy about summoning for help. Thing is I had to figure out how to craft the item to summon human players, because the NPC that was available was fucking weak. :D

I went off exploring actually, as a way to farm souls and also just because it was fun. Damn, I'm having fun exploring, what is this?! :)

I found a Knight's Greatsword and upgraded my armor, summoned somebody and was able to beat him. I need to figure out how to get/use those animal summons, I'm still playing it like a Souls game.

I have an opinion that I think most people will disagree with but here it is: summoning for coop help doesn't make boss fights easier

summoning coop makes the boss beefier. I don't know if they do more damage, but they definitely take more damage. unless you get lucky and summon someone who is a pro, in my experience, they die quickly against really hard bosses which leaves you alone to 1v1 a beefed up boss

it is possible that the boss stats drop down once the player dies/disconnects. I haven't tested this because I stopped summoning for help for the most part.

coop also doesn't allow you to use your ash summons, which are really helpful

overall I don't know if I can say summoning for help is superior to using an ash summon and dealing with a weaker boss

curious what everyone's thoughts are on this

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
The typical Souls fanbase sentiment is alive and well I see. Zero criticism or dissenting opinions allowed. But don't make a separate thread to voice complaints either. Just unanimous praise or it's the user's fault 100% of the time.
I don't mind if it is difficult but I can understand the frustration with it. But I know what I am going into when I start. I am going to die, but I am also going to get better and a unique experience.

summoning coop makes the boss beefier. I don't know if they do more damage, but they definitely take more damage. unless you get lucky and summon someone who is a pro, in my experience, they die quickly against really hard bosses which leaves you alone to 1v1 a beefed up boss
It does in fact make it easier, but a lot of players don't know how to actually make the most of their summons, like don't attack after somebody already attack, you'll just get caught in the boss' counter.
What you want to do is take turns, so the boss keeps switching aggro, this way it becomes super easy to hit the boss hard, or build up things like bleed/poison/rot.

But a lot of people I try to help out just seem to forget they have help and rush in even with low health, which will in fact make it harder.
Also try not to dodge in the direction of your partners, boss attack tracking means he'll just spin around and perhaps miss you, but hit one of your summons.

NickFire

I have an opinion that I think most people will disagree with but here it is: summoning for coop help doesn't make boss fights easier

it is possible that the boss stats drop down once the player dies/disconnects. I haven't tested this because I stopped summoning for help for the most part.

coop also doesn't allow you to use your ash summons, which are really helpful

overall I don't know if I can say summoning for help is superior to using an ash summon and dealing with a weaker boss

curious what everyone's thoughts are on this
You've already helped me today but I'm gonna be the cousin that never leaves on Thanksgiving and try picking your brain a little more (while I wish I was home playing).

So I am definitely sticking with intelligence and dexterity, and ignoring strength for a while. My question is about clothes. I've recently changed out starting clothes (for astrologer) to stuff I picked up with better physical damage resistances, because I die really fast in up close battles against stronger enemies when they close the range on me and I can't find a hiding spot to attack from. I feel like this has benefited me a lot. But am I making a mistake? Should I keep clothing choices limited to ones focused on magic instead of resistance?

Second question - the ashes. I only have two, but they seem useless. They show some blue and some red changes when I consider adding them, but appear to make total output weaker than not having them. Is it good to use them as long as they have some blue changes, or is that total output still the most important?

Second question - the ashes. I only have two, but they seem useless. They show some blue and some red changes when I consider adding them, but appear to make total output weaker than not having them. Is it good to use them as long as they have some blue changes, or is that total output still the most important?
What you're seeing is scaling changes, heavy scales with strength, quality with strength and dex, and keen scales with dex (there's more that scale with other stats).
So if you pick one you don't have the stats for, then yes it will seem detrimental; the letters at the bottom with tell you what stat it's scaling with and how good the scaling is, it goes from E to S I think.

You've already helped me today but I'm gonna be the cousin that never leaves on Thanksgiving and try picking your brain a little more (while I wish I was home playing).

So I am definitely sticking with intelligence and dexterity, and ignoring strength for a while. My question is about clothes. I've recently changed out starting clothes (for astrologer) to stuff I picked up with better physical damage resistances, because I die really fast in up close battles against stronger enemies when they close the range on me and I can't find a hiding spot to attack from. I feel like this has benefited me a lot. But am I making a mistake? Should I keep clothing choices limited to ones focused on magic instead of resistance?

I'm new to souls games so honestly other people who are souls vets in this thread would likely be able to get you better feedback

however, my 2 cents since you asked:

prioritize leveling vigor above everything else at the start

you are a caster, I would focus on simply not getting hit. try to kill enemies from a distance. if you already found a melee weapon you like and can you use, I would switch to melee once they close the gap

in the over world/outside of dungeons, take advantage of your horse to kill enemies from a distance using spells

allocate your flasks so you have enough FP flasks to continue casting spells as needed, but don't neglect the health ones. put some points in mind if you find that you are draining your FP too quickly

IMO, armor/clothing doesn't really make a huge difference. I honestly wear what I think looks the best. if you aren't using a shield, you want to avoid getting hit as much as possible. practice rolling, the starting area is great for this. this is a skill you'll need to get down eventually. but again prioritize killing enemies from a distance and finishing them off with melee if needed. generally speaking, you won't need to worry about resistances that much early in the game so if you do have a choice pick the one that offers physical protection. but definitely do not let your encumbrance enter heavy, which makes you fat roll

are you talking about ash of war? they change your weapon arts. if they are dropping your weapons damage, it could be because you are changing the affinity of the weapon to one that is less suited for your stats.

I think other people in this thread might be able to get you better advice

Last edited:

NickFire

What you're seeing is scaling changes, heavy scales with strength, quality with strength and dex, and keen scales with dex (there's more that scale with other stats).
So if you pick one you don't have the stats for, then yes it will seem detrimental; the letters at the bottom with tell you what stat it's scaling with and how good the scaling is, it goes from E to S I think.
Thank you!

I think I am starting to get it now. If I understand you correctly, the effects of the modifiers scale with your stats for the relevant stat categories. So an ash could be detrimental when picked up, but become more valuable as I level up the related stats. I also understand those terms a bit better now (heavy, quality, keen). I was lost on those.

You guys are great helping us noobs. Thank you all.

So an ash could be detrimental when picked up, but become more valuable as I level up the related stats.
There are whetstones/knives you can find in the world, that will allow you to apply different types to the ash, so you'll be able to use an ash without bothering to level up stats you don't want, you will then be able to just apply "keen" if you are dex focussed for example.

WoodyStare

Radahn is the first boss to make me say, “Holy shit, I’ll come back later” after the first try.

Last edited:

Aesius

What was the last game that the internet discovered together like this? Game has been out for a week and it's still chock full of mysteries.

I played all the Soulsbourne games long after release so everything was already figured out by the time I got to them. But being a part of the initial discovery phase, especially for a game THIS big, is just truly something special.

Oh, come on dude. I say this as someone who genuinely appreciates you as a member of Gaf but you gotta get over whatever hang-ups you have about the difficulty.
awkward bro hug GIF

I've said it numerous times, I don't think the game is the GOAT, or flawless, I'm not even that blown away by it, just feels like a Dark Souls game with open world aspects. The game doesn't need to be made easier though and I say that as someone who has never beat a Souls game. I'm honestly not that great at them, I'm just aware of what I'm getting myself into when I play these games and I accept it and try to embrace it as best I can.

Elden Ring affords so many opportunities to just explore at your leisure and it's insanely forgiving with the check point system. I honestly think it's kind of easy due to the ease in exploration, the horse mechanic, and summoning system. Prior Souls games forced you to take on the same areas ad nauseam, Elden Ring allows you to just completely skip on them and go level up somewhere else.

If you're playing on PC and having issues, yea, I totally empathize with that but if your main issue is the difficulty, find something else to do in the game. The map is massive and for me so far, there are always enemies in each area that can be taken out with ease and massive ones that are easily avoided.

The difficulty to me is one of the best aspects of the Souls series. There are so many people playing right now and seeing the messages in the game, the traces of other players, the bloodstains, it's like a collective experience we're all going through, and I think it's brilliant that we're all experiencing the same type of base level gameplay. I think it's super special to be a part of that at launch.

Will I beat the game? I dunno. I might reach a point where it's too difficult and I move on to something else. I'm still gonna appreciate the time I put into it though and when my buddy tells me 3 months from now that he platinumed the game, I'll look back on my experience with Elden Ring and instantly know how impressive it is for someone to fully complete the game. Having an easy mode or other ease of use features would take away from what makes these games unique. If at some point From Software wants to put in difficulty options, so be it, I wouldn't complain. But at the same time, I'm not gonna call for the game to be made easier, it just doesn't hold water for me and I don't think it's necessary at all.

Georome

The combat is definitely tighter with more options, but I am a little sad that we can't climb up an ogre and stab it in the eye like in DD. That type of combat would have elevated this game to 11 out of 10.
Very true. Fighting a regular ass ogre was an epic encounter in Dragon's Dogma. Climbing is definitely a mechanic Elden Ring could use.

I’m about 40 hours in and have yet to craft anything. I’m mainly a strength build. Is there anything worth crafting?
All kinds of things, though it depends on the crafting books that you've obtained. The Santa Claus looking NPC in the Church of Elleh sells you the crafting item, in case you haven't bought it.

Only items I craft so far are antidotes for poison and food for Torrent. Can't ask Torrent to go on this massive quest with you and leave him with an empty stomach, that's just a total dick move in my book, lol.

Top Bottom