• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This is actually happening for the last boss? Phase 2 is a joke.
yeah.
Joke as easy?
You can give me tips. I am using frost stomp and cold keen flamberge.
and spirit... once in 10 tries when I make it to phase 2, I die randomly almost instantly

begotten

yeah.
Joke as easy?
You can give me tips. I am using frost stomp and cold keen flamberge.
and spirit... once in 10 tries when I make it to phase 2, I die randomly almost instantly

What summon are you using? I would recommend getting a tank to +10 for Radagon and staying within mid range of it, otherwise you're shortening the window for your attacks. Also for the Beast, it's normal attacks are slow and easy enough to dodge, for most of it's magic moves I had better success side sprinting more than rolling / jumping. Also you can get free hits on it when it's doing its burrow animation and it's underground. If you have any range use it while it's charging up its ring attack. Altering your Wondrous Physick and Talismans could help too depending on what you need to be compensated for.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
What summon are you using? I would recommend getting a tank to +10 for Radagon and staying within mid range of it, otherwise you're shortening the window for your attacks. Also for the Beast, it's normal attacks are slow and easy enough to dodge, for most of it's magic moves I had better success side sprinting more than rolling / jumping. Also you can get free hits on it when it's doing its burrow animation and it's underground. If you have any range use it while it's charging up its ring attack. Altering your Wondrous Physick and Talismans could help too depending on what you need to be compensated for.
radagon is doable. every 2nd or 3rd time I can do him on only one or two heals.
It's the 2nd phase that fucks me over. Yeah, I am using mimic +10... it survives longer than I do in 2nd phase

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
After 80 hours, decided to restart my game. . .on PS5. The performance issues on PC are just out of control and was really starting to grate on my experience. After playing for three hours on console on performance mode - the difference is night and day honestly. Yeah the framerate in performance mode on consoles isn't stable, but unless you're really sensitive to it it honestly doesn't get in the way.

. ..also, and this seems minor but if you quit the game, you don't have to sit through the fucking intros again, it just goes right to the main menu. . .like all games have done since time immemorial!

is there a level cap that prevents you from helping people with easier bosses you’ve done in the past? I’m writing my summon sign at some earlier bosses and no one is summoning me

Not sure how the restrictions for summoning work

Interfectum

Level 69, sitting at godricks door with my sign down and not getting summoned.
Kate Mckinnon Flirt GIF by Saturday Night Live

rapid32.5

Godrick is such a BS fight, had my weapon at level 3 almost killed him on my first try, then leveled up the weapon to level 6.
Now he constantly attacks me, does not make it easy, 20+ deaths with summoning and still no luck.

Last edited:
Abandoned cave is fucking miserable but goddamn is the reward decent

Glad I stuck with it

If you got frustrated and abandoned it, I’d recommend sticking with it

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa
Speedrunners are a different breed. There's a 2:35 up. I fast forwarded through it a lot, but it looks like no skips or glitches. I never understand how they get there so quickly after release.

begotten

radagon is doable. every 2nd or 3rd time I can do him on only one or two heals.
It's the 2nd phase that fucks me over. Yeah, I am using mimic +10... it survives longer than I do in 2nd phase

If you're using Mimic Tear + 10 then it should be a breeze no offense. Maybe just use HP flasks and mix the Half HP Seal into your Physick. Don't be greedy with heals either, it's okay to heal for 50-70% of each charges' maximum heal. Better than getting 1 shot when you're not at 100% HP. Another tactic is maybe summon Mimic Tear late in Phase 1 so that you can tank with it longer and more slower in Phase 2.

Swift_Star

Banned
Getting to 26 str so I’ll finally be able to one hand the anchor if I want to. This weapon is really amazing. Then I’ll put some points into faith and mind since the incantations I’m finding are finally looking useful.
I defeated a boss very bloodborne like in aisle river? I don’t remember the name but the boss caused frostbite with its electric attacks. This game really needed a bestiary so we could keep track of enemies and bosses.

Tg89

yeah, i'm comfortable saying this is top 5-10 of all time for me now.

gotta admit that while I was running around Liurnia I wasn't sure if this would quite top Bloodborne. But god damn do they ramp it up considerably in the last few zones. Both Volcano Manor and The Capital are some of the most sublime level design I've ever seen.

game really has it all, im ~60 hours and level 110...feels like it's ending and I don't want it to. But I'll start another run immediately anyhow.

Fess

GT7 is also killer. Play it when frustrated from ER.
Yeah I’ll get to it eventually. Haven’t reached any real frustration point yet though, I just go do something else when I get stomped, thinking I’m not strong enough yet. Only 18 hours in.

Last edited:

Fess

After 80 hours, decided to restart my game. . .on PS5. The performance issues on PC are just out of control and was really starting to grate on my experience.
Do you have trouble at any specific area? I haven’t had any serious serious for like 5-10 hours now, thought they had fixed it. A patch note mentioned a bug they stomped which caused the GPU to not be used. I’m pretty sure that’s what I had earlier, I could get scenarios where the game was literally paused for 1-2 seconds. Haven’t had any of that lately.

Tg89

Do you have trouble at any specific area? I haven’t had any serious serious for like 5-10 hours now, thought they had fixed it. A patch note mentioned a bug they stomped which caused the GPU to not be used. I’m pretty sure that’s what I had earlier, I could get scenarios where the game was literally paused for 1-2 seconds. Haven’t had any of that lately.
Yeah I haven’t had any issues in the back half of the game tbh. Not sure if that’s patch related.

iorek21

I think I get it why some bosses feel unfair unlike in previous FromSoft games: Spirit Ashes.

Some bosses are so “abusive” that they had to be designed with Spirit Ashes in mind. You can of course fight solo, but it seems to be less… appropriate, I guess?

If you compare the pattern of bosses in Dark Souls trilogy or Bloodborne with Elden Ring, you’ll see that this time there’s a bigger focus in duo bosses or even bosses + minions.

Fess

Finally killed Tree Sentinel, able to use his weapon, now to do some field testing to see if it's any better than my +5 starter sword in practice.
Congrats!
I go there now and again to try new strategies or gear, level 24 now and still using starter battle axe +3 aaand getting wiped fast lol

I opened a chest in a tower and it was a transport trap that beamed me to a totally random spot with a big ass boss. That's nice.
I heard about that early and it has made me become worried rather than excited whenever I see a chest 😅
I’m guessing it didn’t auto save in that area though?

The_hunter

I'm 40 hours in as a sorcerer, loving the game, playing the ps4pro version on my ps5. The lore is great! Often I get the feeling like I'm exploring Peter Jackson's lord of the rings films.

The Carian wastes feel like Bloodborne 2 at times, so creepy and unique.

Used two keys to open a cave, it was a poison swamp and full of creepy bug fucks that have lots of arms, gave me the shivers. Left a sign outside that says "despair ahead".

I randomly found an illusory wall in a cave, got a crystal spear, perfect for my character, left a message in front of the fake wall.

Has anyone found the standard flail? I really want to get one but I have only found a unique one with high dex so far.

I wonder if dex is worth investing in as a sorcerer for that faster cast speed, a lot of unique sorc weapons seem to have dex requirements on them.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I heard about that early and it has made me become worried rather than excited whenever I see a chest 😅
There was actually a site of grace, so it wasn't that bad. Well, the bad part was walking up to the boss not knowing what it was.

Mossybrew

Holy Shit I killed Margit on my first try! And I suck at Souls games! You really can overlevel yourself, I heard so much shit about this guy and he was easier than Tree Sentinel, WTF?

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Level 69, sitting at godricks door with my sign down and not getting summoned.

Probably. Something like +/- 10% of your level. The souls games mostly worked like that.

Might also be tied to weapon level like DS3 also utilized on top of the level calculation. DS2 also had the unique system where it was based on total souls acquired per character (Soul Level) so it could possibly be linked to something similar as well.

If the community has it completely figured out yet then that's news to me. There should be some system in place to stop level 150 characters from being summoned to one-shot Margit etc.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Holy Shit I killed Margit on my first try! And I suck at Souls games! You really can overlevel yourself, I heard so much shit about this guy and he was easier than Tree Sentinel, WTF?
I was probably over-leveled, too. Also, somebody had a good suggestion to use the Jellyfish against him. Basically ping-pong'd him between that and my turtle shell shield, hitting him on the way back and forth with spells.
I was in the capital sewers, exploring. And went lower.

And lower.

And lower.

And lower.

And lower.

And lower.

To a place of madness.

To the depths of the Erdtree's roots.

To a third eternal city.
This game has the best sense of discovery and mystery of any game I've played. I'm not that far yet, but every time I've gone down the rabbit hole it hasn't disappointed.

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Has anyone found the standard flail? I really want to get one but I have only found a unique one with high dex so far.

I wonder if dex is worth investing in as a sorcerer for that faster cast speed, a lot of unique sorc weapons seem to have dex requirements on them.

You can find the flail in
a chest in the camp where you find the Whetstone Knife.

As to your second question the answer is yes, to a degree. If you're a pure sorcerer than its probably not worth it as there's a talisman that increases your casting speed to a pretty significant degree. If you're more of a spell sword then you should raise it enough to wield whatever weapon you'd like to wield and then reassess your casting speed. If its still too low try the talisman, its probably not worth investing in DEX just for the speed.

Fess

There was actually a site of grace, so it wasn't that bad. Well, the bad part was walking up to the boss not knowing what it was.
Heh yeah in some weird way I love it for what it’s doing, I’m constantly nervous in new areas or when I see new enemies. But it’s okay because I know I could go elsewhere if I want. I know I’ll most likely never be able to finish this game but for once it’s actually the journey that is the payoff rather than the goal. It’s perfect escapism. Perfect exploration.

Stumbled into a tomb last night, awesome music, design and atmosphere, new type of enemies climbing on walls and stuff, super cool closed up area after spending so much time out in the open.

Noped my way out from an obvious trap room full of bones on the floor and spikes in the roof. Eventually decided to grind a bit and use up my runes on a level up so I could go back and try without too much losses. Killed like a bug. And again. Again.

Eventually got through that and ended up at a grace point, boss door nearby. Lets try… Killed in 10 seconds max. Again and again. Over and over. Not sure I got more than a few pixels of damage on it.

So… Not this day. Accepting defeat I noped my way out but still had an awesome gaming experience I just don’t get anywhere else. And I can always return to (try to) stomp the boss later.

The open world combined with this devilishly hard segments works great. If it was a linear game and I had nowhere to go but beat this seemingly impossible boss I would’ve just rage quit. But now I have so many other areas to explore so it feels like it’s okay to get stomped bad.

protonion

Godrick was not so bad.

I pushed north and east on the map. North seems way easier so I assume this is the path to follow.

I left something to do in the castle. There is something huge in the depths that I thankfully managed to outrun. Later.

What a game!

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Congrats!
I go there now and again to try new strategies or gear, level 24 now and still using starter battle axe +3 aaand getting wiped fast lol
I rocked a +3 Broadsword all the way up to about level 33. It's definitely doable but jumping to a +5 and a +7 was really nice.
The game is always autosaving, FYI.
Currently level 81 and still rocking the Spear.
Spear bros for life!

Finally settled on a build after stressing a little about it up to level 30. Gonna try my hand at a DEX/FTH hybrid because it seems to be unorthodox and I always want to try something a little atypical in these games (why I didn't join the roughly one billion people starting as Samurai).

Thanks to someone on Reddit spoiling me on a certain talisman that I now know exists I have some spicy ideas for DEX/FTH. Curious how it'll turn out.

Last edited:

Yahzi

Neo Member
Game has been running flawlessly for me until Siofra River - I get into the elevator, it takes me down 30 seconds or so and then the whole game crashes. Every time. If I reboot, it crashes at the same section I just can't get around the crashes and it's a shame because I've been told it's such a beautiful area. :(

• Empathy

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Game has been running flawlessly for me until Siofra River - I get into the elevator, it takes me down 30 seconds or so and then the whole game crashes. Every time. If I reboot, it crashes at the same section I just can't get around the crashes and it's a shame because I've been told it's such a beautiful area. :(

Check out this thread on Reddit.

dis right here

Seems either the guy's drivers were out of date or the game files got weird which he fixed by verifying them (most likely the later because he admitted the game was missing a file). This fixed the crashing on loading Siofra River.

Apologies if you've tried this. I'm also assuming you're on PC.

Last edited:

Fess

The game is always autosaving, FYI.
I know but I mean you return to where you were before the trap when you die, right? Or can fast travel back?

Being stuck in an seemingly impossible boss area would be brutal.

So far I’ve always been able to back out of impossible fights, that’s one of the reasons I think the difficulty is not ruining the game for me. I’ve lost the runes I held if I get killed but otherwise I haven’t seen any concequences and can safely walk the other way and explore instead. I hear people talking about mandatory bosses though so maybe it’ll become more frustrating later.

FunkMiller

I just spoke to an NPC who told me to seek out the
mountains of the giants and the great lift of buggery bollocks
north of the
capital
, and my jaw dropped. Went to have a look at the map, and realised I could scroll up above
Lyndell
. Fuck me sideways… there’s MORE?

Last edited:

The_hunter

Spoilers for up to Raya Lucaria, if you have beaten that part of the game, your safe to keep reading.

I've pieced together what I could about Queen Renalla, Ranni the witch, and the Carian family.

The Carian family where originally astrologers, who preceded the sorcerers, establishing themselves in the northern mountains at the tallest peaks that nearly touched the sky, where the currents of glintstone are so strong they can be seen as floating shards in the air itself. Out of the house of Carian came a young sorceress by the name of Renalla, who bewitched Raya Lucaria with her enchanting magic of the full moon. She quickly rose the ranks of the academy, became the leader of the glintstone knights, and established the house of Caria as royalty. Eventually she earned the position of leader of Raya Lucaria, and queen of the full moon. She wed to Radragon, a peerless warrior from a foreign land. Under her tutelage, Radragon learned about sorceries from the greatest teacher in the lands between.

Renalla had three children, three princesses, these are likely the offspring of both Renalla and Radragon. Of the three only one remains to this day, Ranni the witch. The fate of the rest is unknown at this time. After a while though, Radragon left Queen Renalla and wed Queen Marika, joining both the house of the Moon and the house of the Tree. Renalla's heart was broken. Radragon's motives are still not clear, but it is known that he learned about incantations from Queen Marika, perhaps his only purpose was to become an even stronger warrior, learning both incantations and sorceries from the greatest teachers in the lands between.

Radragon gave as a gift an amber egg from the Erdtree to Renalla, who now spends all her days locked up in the library cradling the egg. Soon those at the academy noticed Renalla was no hero, nor leader that they thought. The egg is known to rebirth and create ephemeral, imperfect beings, but its full powers are still not clear.
Ranni the witch stole the rune of death, causing the night of the black knives, the fall of the demigods, which cascaded into the Shattering war. This rune gives her control over death, which is somehow connected to the amber egg(as seen during the Renalla boss fight).
Ranni's motivations are still a mystery, but she is searching for the "Darkpath" and wants to "rid the world of all that came before."

Ranni seems to be spiteful towards something, is it the loss of her sisters, or is it for Radragon marrying Queen Marika. Radragon gifting the egg shows that he still holds Renalla dear, and might be the ultimate motive of the re-marriage.

Why did Ranni steal the rune of death, what happened to her sisters? Is Renalla trying to resurrect her dead daughters? Lots of question yet remain to be answered.

Last edited:

Drunkdadbr

Banned
Imput reading in a game where only you cant cancel actions and die in 1-2 hits is beyond cheap.
Mortal Kombat and SNK were this lazy but at least each fight was seconds long.

Last edited:
Top Bottom