• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

What is the best summon to tank and aggro bosses?
I'm 35 hours or so in and I still use the Jellyfish.....I've been leveling it up though. I use the Wolves for boss fights that have multiple enemies. They aren't the best summons by far, but I don't have any of the others and I can keep leveling these guys up. The Jellyfish poisons too, which has killed bosses for me.

Cracklox

What order should the big bads be done?

I just killed Renalla as a level 45 cheesemeister sorc caster, and did a quick google on who to go after next and it suggested Radahn. However I see someone mentioned above that you should wait till around level 80 for him so... Need to find some side quest to do I guess.

I also swung by Carria Manor, and noped the fuck outtta there quick like. Seriously those fucking giant hands are creepy as shit, and I was hardly denting them so figured I had got ahead of myself. So I looked up where to get the second doohickey for the big lift (which I believe you need to get to Radahn) and made my way over there AND HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!! at whats outside that location.

I think I may be ahead of myself again...

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Seeing a lot of people searching for/using farming spots.

I'm curious why everyone is choosing to do repetitive grinding instead of exploring? I just 100%ed East/West Limgrave and the Weeping Peninsula and even though the game is balanced so the bosses start dropping pitiful amounts of Runes I feel pretty OP and will be happy to move on to more challenging areas.

These seems like much more fun than killing giants for an hour just to level up.

Never really understood farming in these games. If you're doing this, why? Is it purely a time thing?

No judgment. I strongly believe everything is fair game in From games. Just curious why peeps put so much effort into farming when there's so much unique content available.

Godrick is such a BS fight, had my weapon at level 3 almost killed him on my first try, then leveled up the weapon to level 6.
Now he constantly attacks me, does not make it easy, 20+ deaths with summoning and still no luck.
Perhaps try bleed:

I go back to help ppl there after some exploring, because I know I can murder the shit out of him myself, but bleed weapons really mess him up (in the video that's when his he suddenly loses chunks of health)

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Seeing a lot of people searching for/using farming spots.

I'm curious why everyone is choosing to do repetitive grinding instead of exploring? I just 100%ed East/West Limgrave and the Weeping Peninsula and even though the game is balanced so the bosses start dropping pitiful amounts of Runes I feel pretty OP and will be happy to move on to more challenging areas.

These seems like much more fun than killing giants for an hour just to level up.

Never really understood farming in these games. If you're doing this, why? Is it purely a time thing?

No judgment. I strongly believe everything is fair game in From games. Just curious why peeps put so much effort into farming when there's so much unique content available.
Out of curiosity I timed myself doing the boulder farm while watching/listening to Elden Ring videos on Youtube. Rough estimate would be ~200k runes/hr. In under 40 minutes I went from level 48 to 53, including stopping to level up each time I had enough runes to prevent losing them. There's videos of spots that are even faster.

You can wander in this game and not even gain a level in that time. I think it's a viable approach if they included it in the game. In some ways this game reminds me of my limited ~25hrs with FFXIV.

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Like in any souls game, upgrading a shield makes you take less stamina per hit, so its no useless at all.
Okay fair point. I don't think it's a massive improvement though. There's also talismans that make this much more effective without requiring smithing stones. I'd definitely advise against upgrading early game shields and only spend resources once you can either buy them infinitely or have settled on a shield you'll use until the end game.

Draugoth

Gold Member

Arena-1920x1085.jpg

A hidden colosseum in Elden Ring may point to future competitive multiplayer DLC.

As found by Lance McDonald, by using a mod to go out of bounds next to a large, inaccessible arena in the game, players have been able to find a completed multiplayer arena, which has led many to speculate that it will arrive as part of DLC soon.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member

Arena-1920x1085.jpg

A hidden colosseum in Elden Ring may point to future competitive multiplayer DLC.

As found by Lance McDonald, by using a mod to go out of bounds next to a large, inaccessible arena in the game, players have been able to find a completed multiplayer arena, which has led many to speculate that it will arrive as part of DLC soon.
Maybe like Gladiator Mode in Ryse? Or it could be for a Horde Mode?

Rex_DX

Gold Member

Arena-1920x1085.jpg

Man I kinda hope this is wrong. Hear me out.

In DS3 PvP was so much more fun and mysterious when there were various, informal fight club "hotspots" like the area following the Pontiff Sulyvahn fight in Irithyll. These were always a good time upon release but once they added in formal, arena style Pvp to the game these areas dried up.

On the one hand, these obviously dried up because people wanted a more structured experience and before the DLC that was the best they could manage.

On the other hand, it was so much cooler to invade a world and see two guys already dueling with a few more on the sidelines to keep the peace and make sure no one interfered with the duel. Some even put down rainbow stones to mark the arena and you had to gesture to people to initiate a duel of your own. A lot of the charm of dueling was lost when they introduced a formal queue and you'd just be dumped into an arena. Formal matchmaking always seemed so out of place in a From release, at least to my eyes. Others really enjoyed it though so more power to you if you're one of those who did.

LavosBit

Neo Member
I cheated my way through the single-player experience (I increased my damage output 5X and reduced my damage taken to 1/10) and I can confidently say there would be no way in hell I could ever beat this game legitimately.

Just messing around in the post-game, I restored everything back to its normal parameters so I could play multiplayer again and attempt to help others with some of the bosses. I’ve yet to succeed. I watched the last person who summoned me get picked up and powerdrived into the ground; a full health bar gone in one attack. It’s nuts.

SSfox

I'm struggling and don't know what to do and where should i go and how to open some door, not checking any tips or anything, the old school way feels so great.

Last edited:

Tomeru

Okay fair point. I don't think it's a massive improvement though. There's also talismans that make this much more effective without requiring smithing stones. I'd definitely advise against upgrading early game shields and only spend resources once you can either buy them infinitely or have settled on a shield you'll use until the end game.
Brass Shield is a very early game shield, and is probably the best medium shield and one of the best overall. Im 69 hours in and never took it off once. Upgraded it take most hits in the game without sweating.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I cheated my way through the single-player experience (I increased my damage output 5X and reduced my damage taken to 1/10) and I can confidently say there would be no way in hell I could ever beat this game legitimately.

Just messing around in the post-game, I restored everything back to its normal parameters so I could play multiplayer again and attempt to help others with some of the bosses. I’ve yet to succeed. I watched the last person who summoned me get picked up and powerdrived into the ground; a full health bar gone in one attack. It’s nuts.
You didn't give yourself a chance to get good, is all. It's certainly a challenging game, but it's all doable, and no teenager reaction times necessary. Co-op makes things harder if your fundamentals aren't strong since bosses get increased HP.

You cheated yourself out of the best game ever made.....it's like eating Kobe beef steak, but you swallow it so you could finish early.....the struggle is the enjoyment in this game......

Last edited:

geary

63% is a lot more than I would expect. even for first boss.
Is that of all people who bought the game on steam?
Or all people who played for some time?
Or all people who got any other achievement ?

I wouldn't even expect 63% of buyers to start the game. Let alone beat first boss. Something is off here
Probably people who got the achievement with Margit.

Also, if Elden Ring would be an Ubisoft/Guerilla game
unknown.png

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I beat Radagon. I also opted to explore a bit to the east of Limgrave to break up the dungeon exploration. Taking the rest of the weekend off. Dunno why but I am worried I will get burnt out or something. I really enjoy the strong desire to pick the game back up too much so maybe I'm just trying to prolong the vibe.

Probably people who got the achievement with Margit.

Also, if Elden Ring would be an Ubisoft/Guerilla game
unknown.png

Thank god From doesn't think their players are morons. I wish more games had the same design experience.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Is the map supposed to be super low res? It looks awful when fully zoomed in, like the full res version hasn't loaded or something.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
My god, what a game. What an incredible game.

Spent the day exploring the Academy, beating the boss and exploring the area north. There's just so much to see and do it still is overwhelming after 40 hours of playtime. The sense of wonder and exploration is still as fresh and rewarding as it was the moment I set foot in the Lands Between.

Legit one of the best games I've played in my life.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
What order should the big bads be done?

I just killed Renalla as a level 45 cheesemeister sorc caster, and did a quick google on who to go after next and it suggested Radahn. However I see someone mentioned above that you should wait till around level 80 for him so... Need to find some side quest to do I guess.

I also swung by Carria Manor, and noped the fuck outtta there quick like. Seriously those fucking giant hands are creepy as shit, and I was hardly denting them so figured I had got ahead of myself. So I looked up where to get the second doohickey for the big lift (which I believe you need to get to Radahn) and made my way over there AND HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!! at whats outside that location.

I think I may be ahead of myself again...
I did Radahn at 50-60 range and Caelid is the natural progression after Liurnia. Caria Manor is great though, definitely go through it at some point. You can stealth through if necessary.

Freeman76

So on the map almost directly south of Church of Irith, and immediately West of Stormview castle, is a little island in the water with a Cathedral on it. Is it just for show or can I get there somehow?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
So on the map almost directly south of Church of Irith, and immediately West of Stormview castle, is a little island in the water with a Cathedral on it. Is it just for show or can I get there somehow?
You can get there.

Cracklox

I might've made a huge mistake.

Needed a bit of a change from cheesing glint magic and had designs on a goofy trick arrow bow build, so I spent a respec and grabbed the horn bow I found. Basically just changed my int to dex and mind to endurance.

It seemed like a good idea at the time because I love me a wacky build, and I loved me Bloodbornes Bowblade. But then I realised how much more micromanaging I'll need to do. Constantly crafting arrows, hunting game for mats, spending souls on arrows (instead of levels) and so far I'm not sure the results are great.

20 mins or so of testing it out didn't go the best. Though I only tried with some pretty weak arrow types. I'll also need a solid melee backup it would seem as super aggressive enemies proved to be even more painful then cheese sorc.

I'll keep persisting for a while but I may need to switch back.

I did Radahn at 50-60 range and Caelid is the natural progression after Liurnia. Caria Manor is great though, definitely go through it at some point. You can stealth through if necessary.

Noted.

And i'll def be going back to Caria. It looked way too cool from the outside. Its just the enemies felt a bit too tough (as well as being completely fucked up)

Wunray

Just found out after 70 hours of gameplay that the l2 and r2 buttons combo together and that you can upgrade summons, I like that this game isn't afraid to let you miss stuff like that, for me, it makes discovering it better.

The_hunter

Just found out after 70 hours of gameplay that the l2 and r2 buttons combo together and that you can upgrade summons, I like that this game isn't afraid to let you miss stuff like that, for me, it makes discovering it better.
I found a sword that has the L2 that combos into a unique R2 attack.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member

I went to Caria manor after Lucaria boss… the enemies triggered something worse than arachnophobia in me lol… fffuuuccckkk that enemy design

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This happened to me two times so far, every time I tried fight a Dragon, after few hits they just fly off and disappear.
you-think-you-can-run-away-from-me-dont-try-to-escape.gif

• LOL
Reactions: Isa
took me a while but i think ive finally settle up on a build path, im going Belmont clan. I think i know how to make the whip work.

Are you doing a pre-Rondo of Blood build or post-Rondo of Blood build?

The latter(what I'm doing) means you also put points in Faith and use Holy Powers as supers.

I've talked with a friend who's doing the former and he's just using the whip, daggers, and holy bombs and putting most of his points into health and dex/str.

Top Bottom