• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING: Shadow Of The Erdtree |OT| ⋆☽ Delve Into The Land Of Shadowy Embrace ✰ The Age Of Stars Is Almost Upon Us! ☾⋆

SJRB

Gold Member
I found all but one scadutree fragment.

Looked up 3 guides detailing where they all are (video and picture format) and checked everywhere multiple times, I have absolutely no clue which one I'm missing. It's.... infuriating.

Yeah this sucks. I'm missing one scadutree and one spirit ash and have no idea which one.

Doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things but still annoying.

geary

Yeah this sucks. I'm missing one scadutree and one spirit ash and have no idea which one.

Have you tried mapgenie.io? There's a detailed map of the DLC with the location of everything...

Remember, sometimes its the one you though you get it. Redo all the caper, even the ones you think you already get. It happened to me.
but I checked em so many times! If I chiggedy check any more I'll be riggedy wreckt
Probably one shadow dude holding a jar. Its always this motherfucker.
and y does he always have 100,000 hp dual rings ASSHO nex to heem

im kinda ocd so getting to me a bit

Just treating this as the Elden Ring OT; I am LOVING ng+. It works so perfectly in this game. Instead of a lowly Tarnished I’m the fucking Chosen One. Brought to the Lands Between to kick ass and get shit done.

The contrast of how you had to play the game when first starting, to going back and completely stomping through those areas now is wonderful. I’ve just been running Dane’s Footwork mostly, just kicking and punching my way through everything.

Can ignore basically everything that you don’t care about, but so much great content still there to be done again. And I know the lore and story so much better now, that everything is making sense as I go.

I’m mainly just focusing on NPC quests I missed or screwed up my first time around. Definitely want the Ranni ending this time. And to see Blaidd and Alexander through to the end of their stories.

I fought Caelid Radahn yesterday a fight that took me weeks of going back and trying when the game first came out. It was a completely trivial one shot last night. Felt good.

Highly recommend NG+ if you’re still wanting an ER fix. I think I’m most excited to get back to the Shadow Lands and do those NPC quests properly this time.

Fess

Just treating this as the Elden Ring OT; I am LOVING ng+. It works so perfectly in this game. Instead of a lowly Tarnished I’m the fucking Chosen One. Brought to the Lands Between to kick ass and get shit done.

The contrast of how you had to play the game when first starting, to going back and completely stomping through those areas now is wonderful. I’ve just been running Dane’s Footwork mostly, just kicking and punching my way through everything.

Can ignore basically everything that you don’t care about, but so much great content still there to be done again. And I know the lore and story so much better now, that everything is making sense as I go.

I’m mainly just focusing on NPC quests I missed or screwed up my first time around. Definitely want the Ranni ending this time. And to see Blaidd and Alexander through to the end of their stories.

I fought Caelid Radahn yesterday a fight that took me weeks of going back and trying when the game first came out. It was a completely trivial one shot last night. Felt good.

Highly recommend NG+ if you’re still wanting an ER fix. I think I’m most excited to get back to the Shadow Lands and do those NPC quests properly this time.
Only tried ng+ once, I thought the lack of challenge made it boring. But with new gear from DLC I’ve considered plowing through it to get the frenzied flame ending. 39/42 achievements, could get it up to 42. But I just don’t like the idea of it, playing for possibly 60-80 hours and then choose a shitty ending.

LQX

After pretty much exploring every part of the map and doing everything I could do I finally rolled up on the end boss and.....slaughtered him on the first try. Loved it. For a DLC there was so much to explore, which is my favorite part of Elden Ring. My only real complaint is many of the bosses are kind of samey with their patterns.

Same here, in the end I skipped it and just finished the DLC. Scouring the Lands of Shadow was fun but it’s not like there is any additional content I’ve missed so I am moving on. That last level doesn’t make a huge difference anyway.

Fake

Gold Member
I recommend using youtube because some of them use grace to reach the objective, so is more easy to not get lost.
And that forest ruins is fucking sucks you get lost pretty easily.

DelireMan7

Ok that's the DLC done.

That final boss... First phase is fine (still I find chains too long and too less opening in between. Stamina was an issue there) but the second phase... Teleportation, constantly moving or being airborne, huge after attack effect, visual chaos, several gigantic AOE attacks (some of which come out pretty fast)... Not for me. Ho I forgot some questionable hitbox on some attack.
Also I was lvl 18 in Scadutree, use the Physick that redude damage and have 1900+ HP and still die in 2 hits in phase 2, sometimes also in phase 1...
This boss is peak "FromSoftware games are hard" but not in a good way. I can only hope that they don't pursue this route on there next Soulsborne game.

I started quickly to summon one of the NPCs. Then ended up summoning players (many use big shield + poke strategy often with Scarlet Rot or Bleed).

Also find afterwards that I haven't finish Ymir's quest. I went for it. Really like the lore around it. Glad I didn't miss it.

Overall an impressive DLC, especially on the art direction and lot of new and fresh weapons/spells/AoW... But too much exploration for nothing and too many emphasis on hard boss (hitting way to hard and too long combo). Honestly I don't get the whole Scadutree blessing mechanic. They could have just made the boss around similar level (or slightly higher) of endgame bosses and you would not have needed this system.
The way I see it is that it was just a way to make the DLC longer. It makes you looking for the blessings just too be able to have a chance against bosses because they pushed their HP and damage through the roof instead of just pushing it a bit further end of base game level.

Highlight bosses for me were Romina, Rellana, Putrescent Knight, Midra and Death Knights (surprisingly good for catacombs bosses). Divine beast was nice in term for visuals design but to fight it was not enjoyable for me.

PS : Concerning my difficulty comment : I did most of it solo (not summon, Spirit ash). Only summoned for Bayle (because quest) and Final boss (because bullshit).

Orbital2060

Ok that's the DLC done.

That final boss... First phase is fine (still I find chains too long and too less opening in between. Stamina was an issue there) but the second phase... Teleportation, constantly moving or being airborne, huge after attack effect, visual chaos, several gigantic AOE attacks (some of which come out pretty fast)... Not for me. Ho I forgot some questionable hitbox on some attack.
Also I was lvl 18 in Scadutree, use the Physick that redude damage and have 1900+ HP and still die in 2 hits in phase 2, sometimes also in phase 1...
This boss is peak "FromSoftware games are hard" but not in a good way. I can only hope that they don't pursue this route on there next Soulsborne game.

I started quickly to summon one of the NPCs. Then ended up summoning players (many use big shield + poke strategy often with Scarlet Rot or Bleed).

Also find afterwards that I haven't finish Ymir's quest. I went for it. Really like the lore around it. Glad I didn't miss it.

Overall an impressive DLC, especially on the art direction and lot of new and fresh weapons/spells/AoW... But too much exploration for nothing and too many emphasis on hard boss (hitting way to hard and too long combo). Honestly I don't get the whole Scadutree blessing mechanic. They could have just made the boss around similar level (or slightly higher) of endgame bosses and you would not have needed this system.
The way I see it is that it was just a way to make the DLC longer. It makes you looking for the blessings just too be able to have a chance against bosses because they pushed their HP and damage through the roof instead of just pushing it a bit further end of base game level.

Highlight bosses for me were Romina, Rellana, Putrescent Knight, Midra and Death Knights (surprisingly good for catacombs bosses). Divine beast was nice in term for visuals design but to fight it was not enjoyable for me.

PS : Concerning my difficulty comment : I did most of it solo (not summon, Spirit ash). Only summoned for Bayle (because quest) and Final boss (because bullshit).
What quest is that for Bayle?

Saber

grass LODs are handled better in gravesite plain than compared to the base game , much less pop-in

Base game used to run fine before the DLC patchs. Now its all bugs, pop in when things are very close, weapons takes alot to load their models when you change them and some enemies and creatures constantly get animation bug and stop entirelly, namelly the gigantic turtles that lets you duplicate resemblaces. When the one from Raya Lucaria area stopped moving for good it became impossible to acess.

winjer

Gold Member
Base game used to run fine before the DLC patchs. Now its all bugs, pop in when things are very close, weapons takes alot to load their models when you change them and some enemies and creatures constantly get animation bug and stop entirelly, namelly the gigantic turtles that lets you duplicate resemblaces. When the one from Raya Lucaria area stopped moving for good it became impossible to acess.

You might be having issues with shader cache. Have you tried clean up and let the game compile them again?

Orbital2060

Igon. He asks you to summon him against Bayle. But actually it's not really necessary to get the end of the quest.
But he has dialogue during the fight and his voice actor performance is incredible.

On that I find it interesting NPC having dialogue during fights. Against the final boss, one of the NPC summon gives a bit of lore clarification.
Thanks I missed that.

mansoor1980

good lord the blackgoal knight is impossible

giphy.gif

Fbh

Had a busy week but finally could take an hour to try fighting the final boss.
After and hour it's hard but it definitely seem doable, he just has a ton of HP and keeps coming at you at a pretty insane pacing (specially in the second phase), but no attacks is nearly as annoying and cheap as waterfowl dance IMO.

That said can anyone give me some tips on how to avoid his meteor/rock attack? (the one when he jumps into the air and throws magic rocks at your). I only seem to be able to avoid it half the time even though I feel like I'm always doing the same thing, usually I'll avoid the first few rocks but then still get hit by the ones that arrive later.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
After and hour it's hard but it definitely seem doable, he just has a ton of HP and keeps coming at you at a pretty insane pacing (specially in the second phase), but no attacks is nearly as annoying and cheap as waterfowl dance IMO.

That said can anyone give me some tips on how to avoid his meteor/rock attack? (the one when he jumps into the air and throws magic rocks at your). I only seem to be able to avoid it half the time even though I feel like I'm always doing the same thing, usually I'll avoid the first few rocks but then still get hit by the ones that arrive later.
Start running like right when they are launched and then dodge once a meteor is like a millimeter away from your hit box. Dodge again and don’t get stuck in a staggered motion after your first roll. Just saying. Out of all the attacks during that boss, that’s the least threatening lol

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
good lord the blackgoal knight is impossible

giphy.gif

I had not played Elden ring since over 1.5 years when I went into the DLC and with no blessing I went to this boss first and never gave up until I beat him. Was rough. I had forgotten almost all the buttons.

Managed to do it after changing to the weapon with the Bloodhound's step, I was basically trolling him after, easy hit and then a step back.

I made it to the Cerulean Coast yesterday, then discovered an area below which in didn't know existed and killed the (annoying) boss. The bit after that is the first time I've looked at a guide for, talk about convoluted lol.

SJRB

Gold Member
I made it to the Cerulean Coast yesterday, then discovered an area below which in didn't know existed and killed the (annoying) boss. The bit after that is the first time I've looked at a guide for, talk about convoluted lol.

Yeah the vibes and music are very cool but mechanically it's kind of ridiculous.

Last edited:

Saber

Thats one of few attacks I honestly dunno how to properly evade. Most people on internet make it look like its easy but its not.
In my experience, I usually run against the rocks. When you see him conjuring the rocks, run far far away from it since it misses when you're too distant to hit.

Reactions: Fbh

Kurotri

As soon as he does that, wait for him to actually start launching the rocks at you. When you see them come towards you, run to the side. Doesn't matter if it's left or right, pick a side and run. Keep doing that until you think there's only 1-2 rocks left and then, while still running, jump once.
Out of curiosity, do you guys stop leveling or just continue to spend runes?
I genuinely didn't know what to do with them so I just kept spending on the same stats I always invested in anyway. I think I ended the DLC with at around lvl 181.

Last edited:

Soodanim

God, this hits so hard. Such a great OST. The best moment of the entire DLC in my opinion.

I should turn down the SFX for a playthrough and try to pay attention to the OST more. I usually think the SFX cues are important, but it might be an interesting atmosphere

I should turn down the SFX for a playthrough and try to pay attention to the OST more. I usually think the SFX cues are important, but it might be an interesting atmosphere
I didn't notice it during the fights either. I heard a lot good stuff about the OST, especially this one. They weren't lying.

Fbh

The attack I'm struggling with now is that AOE he does usually at the beginning of the second phase (and usually a couple of times later). Is there any visual cue to actually know when it's going to hit? I'm finding that most of the time I'm either rolling a bit too early or a bit too late, so I've defaulted to simply blocking it with the shield (but it still takes a chunk of HP).

After some 20 attempts I'm not that thrilled by the boss. The first phase is really fun but the second one just feels like it ads a bit too much bullshit all at once, it's like "now he is even faster and more aggressive, and also most attacks now have an AOE aftershock. and also it gets hard to see because of all the explosions and flashes, and also he has 2 full screen AOE attacks with somewhat awkward timing, and also except for like 2 attacks your windows to heal and or attack are very short".
IDK, I feel like it might have worked better as a 3 phase boss, have the second one add the grab attack and the aftershocks to all his attacks, and the a third one that ads the rest. Or at very least make it so the second phase starts at 50% of his health instead of like 70%

Ulysses 31

The attack I'm struggling with now is that AOE he does usually at the beginning of the second phase (and usually a couple of times later). Is there any visual cue to actually know when it's going to hit? I'm finding that most of the time I'm either rolling a bit too early or a bit too late, so I've defaulted to simply blocking it with the shield (but it still takes a chunk of HP).
Is it really an issue when it's going to hit? Don't you need to start running away immediately just to make it out of the blast zone in time?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Is it really an issue when it's going to hit? Don't you need to start running away immediately just to make it out of the blast zone in time?
Sometimes times he does different attack then start his AOE which wouldn't enough time get away from his attack.....I use shield to reduce damage if can't see myself unable to get way in time.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

After some 20 attempts I'm not that thrilled by the boss. The first phase is really fun but the second one just feels like it ads a bit too much bullshit all at once, it's like "now he is even faster and more aggressive, and also most attacks now have an AOE aftershock. and also it gets hard to see because of all the explosions and flashes, and also he has 2 full screen AOE attacks with somewhat awkward timing, and also except for like 2 attacks your windows to heal and or attack are very short".
IDK, I feel like it might have worked better as a 3 phase boss, have the second one add the grab attack and the aftershocks to all his attacks, and the a third one that ads the rest. Or at very least make it so the second phase starts at 50% of his health instead of like 70%
Get the fingerprint stone shield and kiss your worries goodbye.

Last edited:

SantaC

People still has problems with final boss?

He can be parried, he can be stance broken, he can easily be infected with status effects etc.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
People still has problems with final boss?

He can be parried, he can be stance broken, he can easily be infected with status effects etc.
Yup, my key winning that fight to parry him and my second run of the DLC I had easier time knowing his move-set.

There is no doubt his tough boss but people acting as if its almost impossible to beat which to me little exaggeration.

Saber

Me and my brother already keep hammering that but seems like no ones cares. They obviously did this on purpose, maybe to dicksuck Miquela.
I suggest you go to the uga-buga route. Infest your character with the strongest armor and the strongest heavy shield(choose one with good holy resistance helps). Go for damage reducing damage charm, the one that increases defense the more equip load you have, holy damage reduction and stamina reg. Use a strong poise draining skill in your strongest weapon(reset your stats if necessary), applying frostbite also is good. I would also suggest for you to not be completelly overburden, at least keep your character the ability to roll. Defend the attacks and dodge only when you feel like you can(the spin gravity dash is easy to dodge). You can use the pot throwing strategy to save your summon for phase 2, just throw 2 scarlet pots on him(1 if the big pot) and let it damage him overtime.

On the second phase as soon as he trying the bitchy area of effect ray(just note that sometimes this asshole starts trying to do infinite combos instead), run as fast as you can and when you are safety then summon your spirit of ashs. Remember to use mix to reduce the damage burden otherwise he will instant kill you with his bitchy attacks. There are also a combo(can't remember which one) that is easier to avoid when you're very close to him. I don't recommend asking for npc summons, he is already ridiculous the way it is.

Last edited:
Top Bottom