• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING: Shadow Of The Erdtree |OT| ⋆☽ Delve Into The Land Of Shadowy Embrace ✰ The Age Of Stars Is Almost Upon Us! ☾⋆

Fake

Gold Member
People still has problems with final boss?

Different people, different playerstyles. Wasn't this fact a common sense to the souls series?

IDK what game are you guys playing, but since Dark Souls players have different approach to bosses because of their different builds/weapons/kit, why keep using the same argument about parry?

I did the same build over and over again in Elden Ring, never get forced to do a parry with any boss. Why now is this a moto or something?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Different people, different playerstyles. Wasn't this fact a common sense to the souls series?

IDK what game are you guys playing, but since Dark Souls players have different approach to bosses because of their different builds/weapons/kit, why keep using the same argument about parry?

I did the same build over and over again in Elden Ring, never get forced to do a parry with any boss. Why now is this a moto or something?
You don’t have parry but its pretty effective against him, similar to Crucible Knight, they can be beat without parry but makes the fight against them MUCH easier.

Fake

Gold Member
You don’t have parry but its pretty effective against him, similar to Crucible Knight, they can be beat without parry but makes the fight against them MUCH easier.

Was the only boss in the entire game I was forced to reset my build. Parry will not solve the many many problems this last boss second phase have.

The rest of the DLC is very good.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Was the only boss in the entire game I was forced to reset my build. Parry will not solve the many many problems this last boss second phase have.

The rest of the DLC is very good.
Everyone has their own play style but for me parry was very effective even on his second phase because I can cancel out most his annoying combo strings.

I also had Assassin's Crimson Dagger Talismans to heal me when I do critical hit but here is the best part, for some reason (not all enemies) when I do critical hit with dagger weapons I get heal twice.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Getting through the last boss with the Sekiro tear was reminiscent of getting through Isshin, although Isshin immediately felt more fair. Last boss is more spammy. I find deflects easier than parries, and those 80% boosted guard counters aren't anything to scoff at.

*NG+ Snip*
So, I used Varre to get to Mohg and back to the Shadowlands and quick as possible. And there is no doubt that jumping straight to endgame content made NG+ catch up to me very quickly.

Even entering with Scadu level 15, the very first Hornsent enemy with the Cirque weapon must have killed me more times, than my entire NG+ run up to that point. And it has stayed pretty challenging throughout. Going back to base game is still a joke up to the Plateau at least, but the difficulty spike in the DLC is huge. Feel bad for people who had to start the DLC in NG+, and Scadu level 0, don't think I would have enjoyed that a ton.

But on the other hand I just got my second Milady, powerstance time...

Soodanim

So, I used Varre to get to Mohg and back to the Shadowlands and quick as possible. And there is no doubt that jumping straight to endgame content made NG+ catch up to me very quickly.

Even entering with Scadu level 15, the very first Hornsent enemy with the Cirque weapon must have killed me more times, than my entire NG+ run up to that point. And it has stayed pretty challenging throughout. Going back to base game is still a joke up to the Plateau at least, but the difficulty spike in the DLC is huge. Feel bad for people who had to start the DLC in NG+, and Scadu level 0, don't think I would have enjoyed that a ton.

But on the other hand I just got my second Milady, powerstance time...
I may have made life harder for myself by going in at NG+5 or whatever, things hit quite hard.

Soodanim

Oof, good luck friend.

Only consolation is I am average at best at the game. And use a variety of weapons that aren’t totally optimized properly.
Thanks, but I did manage to finish it!

The plus side of being that far in is that it's so easy to get enough runes to max new weapons out and try new things that I got to experience pretty much everything as soon as I got it, and I got to go into any given fight with essentially a full arsenal to choose from.

Out of curiosity, do you guys stop leveling or just continue to spend runes?
First playthrough I got to level 202.

Second playthrough and I'm keeping my character at level 185 so I can have a larger pool of players for invasion and co-op. I've made it a small, extra challenge to see how many runes I can gather before losing them all (currently at 3 million). I'll spend them on upgrading weapons and buying materials tho

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
If I have the time and energy tonight when I get home I’m going to try to get to Malenia to see how it goes a second time with the Raduvia dagger build. It’s +10 and ready to rock.

I’ll likely go pick up the blood damage talisman I’m missing first, and maybe run into the dlc to grab the buffed up turtle talisman too.

I’ve seen people fight her with the dagger on YT, and it seems pretty simple if you opt to just use the ash of war the whole time.

I’m debating if it takes more than a hour then I may ring a bell this time. I spent like 9 hours when the game came out to do it with blasphemous blade…

Fbh

Finally did it, had to go back to the good ol' Moonveil because the Star-Lined Sword I used for most the DLC just wasn't cutting it (the weapon skill is generally pretty good, but completely useless against the final boss).
I mostly maintain what I said in my previous post, I didn't really like the final boss and I think it ends an otherwise amazing DLC on a bit of a sour note, he is challenging for sure but not in a fun way like Nameless King (DS3) or the GOAT Isshin (Sekiro). It felt like they made him challenging in a rather cheap and low effort way which is uncharacteristic for FROM.

That said, I do think the way we ended up killing each other right at the end was pretty epic
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Last edited:

Arsic

Finally did it, had to go back to the good ol' Moonveil because the Star-Lined Sword I used for most the DLC just wasn't cutting it (the weapon skill is generally pretty good, but completely useless against the final boss).
I mostly maintain what I said in my previous post, I didn't really like the final boss and I think it ends an otherwise amazing DLC on a bit of a sour note, he is challenging for sure but not in a fun way like Nameless King (DS3) or the GOAT Isshin (Sekiro). It felt like they made him challenging in a rather cheap and low effort way which is uncharacteristic for FROM.

That said, I do think the way we ended up killing each other right at the end was pretty epic
Imagine if he had won and you didn’t do enough.

Your next post on here would’ve been a manifesto 😂

Saber

Hey good work bud.
What matters is that people understand this boss is bullshit in a very bad way. Souls games has alot of very hard and abusive bosses, but even so most of them are still fun and challenge to beat. This one is unfun to play mostly because it blinds you and gives you no time to breath. Got no interest to ever beat it again. I was just glad I beat it, no feeling of "fuck yeah I beat it".

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

Just like Superman and Doomsday.

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: Fbh

Fbh

Hey good work bud.
What matters is that people understand this boss is bullshit in a very bad way. Souls games has alot of very hard and abusive bosses, but even so most of them are still fun and challenge to beat. This one is unfun to play mostly because it blinds you and gives you no time to breath. Got no interest to ever beat it again. I was just glad I beat it, no feeling of "fuck yeah I beat it".

Yeah pretty much. I'm glad I beat him but I have no desire to fight him again, unlike most other bosses
That's why I said I feel like they made him hard in an uncharacteristically low effort way. You go from this intense but really fun first phase into just 5 different layers of bullshit all at once: Even more aggressive with smaller windows to heal/attack + multiple new heavy hitting moves you need to learn + shockwaves after each attack which blind you AND screw with the timing you got used to in the first phase + can't see shit half of the time because of all the bright lights and effects.

I got extremely good at the first phase because the first 15-20 times I got to the second one I could hardly even do anything, much less get used to all the new attacks and their timing. It was basically 10 seconds of:
D014BD459A110DD4D6B720BC4FDFEE1ACCF20A33

And I was dead.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Oof, good luck friend.

Only consolation is I am average at best at the game. And use a variety of weapons that aren’t totally optimized properly.
Picking this up again, I'm expecting a lot of balancing to new weapons. Hyper armour added to things, poison bottle that doesn't stay at base poison values, etc. I hope Milady doesn't get a nerf, but even if it does it's still my favourite of the new weapons.

Star-lined sword needs to be a LGS instead of a Katana.

Soodanim

CURSE YOU BAYLE ! WITH A HAIL OF HARPOONS !

That's sad. Indeed it's a pretty cool interaction you can have.
How did you kill him ?
I was hoping to get the finishing hit with Placidusax's Ruin for some poetic justice, but Igon got all selfish and got the last hit.

There's always my dragon focused character...

Antwix

About 2/3 through my 2nd dlc playthrough and I have some different feelings on the bosses compared to my first run. Gonna wait til I finish it to share my revised "nobody cares and who asked?" ranking of them. I will say that Gaius wasn't bad at all. Dare I say.... very fun.

gow3isben

Finally beat the final boss

No summons or mimic.

Level like 205 Scadutree 20 and he was still 2-3 shotting me in the second phase lol

No shield I used the deathknight Longaxe incredibly underrated weapon with a really fun weapon skill that can dodge some of his last attacks on combos and get a nice hit if you time it right with the weapon skill

I used it two handed so I can deflect him on and off (used the Opaline and deflect tears)

So wasn't really a full deflect build in the second phase I think I did 30% damage with ripostes, 10 percent with my weapon skill 20 percent with charged attacks after those grabs and the rest with jumping or regular quick attacks. Managed to stagger him once or twice.

Do NOT look down on that Pearlshield Talisman that minimizes damage when you block stuff. I dealt with his holy damage very frequently through blocking.

But it took me hours man

Last edited:

DelireMan7

Just went to finish the base game with my DLC character.

And Damn ! Radagon is really a sick fight. Love it !
Agressive without being too much. The teleportation move are so stylish. And the epic ost...

Then Elden beast, a fight I despised so much, but now you can use Torrent! It makes it so much better. No running across the arena to arrive out of stamina and the beast swimming away again.
It also makes it much easier but not a issue for me.

Mortisfacio

With any luck, I finally beat this thing this weekend, but I got stuck at Radahn last weeked. First 20-30 deaths were miserable. Now can consistently get into phase 2, but haven't been able to get him under 30% yet. Definitely brutal.

Im kinda mid-way into DLC, no summons, nothing. I enjoyed ER enough to play it 3 times and do all its achievements which I rarely do, but the DLC? It's a turd that I can barely go through it. Was kinda shocked to see that it's almost at mixed on steam. They really messed it up and doubled down on quantity over quality huh? The DLC is literally a cookbook finding simulator. The loot is so bad which makes it so boring to explore. Lore is shit, bosses are same as the base game and variations of invading npc;s and the main bosses are just spamming their attacks, hardly skillfully difficult, just very boring and annoying. So far I felt no joy exploring or defeating any boss whatsoever as I did in the main game. Performance is also abysmal.

Last edited:

Arsic

Redoing base game and I’m at Malenia.

Tried her with Reduvia dagger for a bit and wasn’t liking the flow to the fight. Switched to my +25 backhand blades and enjoying it much more. Got her to 5% 3 times and choked on phase 2.

Just a matter of time. Still find this boss dumb RNG, but this weapon allows me to be far more oppressive towards her than my launch attempts with blasphemous blade.

Likely will redo base game and leave dlc for another time. The idea of collecting skadus just doesn’t sound fun.

Still find this boss dumb RNG

Malenia and DLC final boss are truly awful since so much of the fight revolves around getting them to repeat their punishable moves and bum rushing them when that happens. The longer you prolong the fights, the more likely they are going to pull a couple combos in a row that will get you killed with no chance to heal.

Soodanim

Im kinda mid-way into DLC, no summons, nothing. I enjoyed ER enough to play it 3 times and do all its achievements which I rarely do, but the DLC? It's a turd that I can barely go through it. Was kinda shocked to see that it's almost at mixed on steam. They really messed it up and doubled down on quantity over quality huh? The DLC is literally a cookbook finding simulator. The loot is so bad which makes it so boring to explore. Lore is shit, bosses are same as the base game and variations of invading npc;s and the main bosses are just spamming their attacks, hardly skillfully difficult, just very boring and annoying. So far I felt no joy exploring or defeating any boss whatsoever as I did in the main game. Performance is also abysmal.
I hope something clicks for you soon, because I can't agree with most of that even if you take out the dramatic hyperbole. There's some great loot, and the cookbooks barely registered in my brain. Entire new weapon classes, as well as new weapons, ashes of war, spells, talismans, armours, and tears stand on their own.

If you like ER this is more of the same but condensed, with the drawback that bosses are extremely aggressive with brutal scaling which is where I think the negative reviews come from.

I don't know if it's my aged machine, but I've had more CTD/entire system freezes with the DLC then I've ever had in the past decade combined. I don't know if anyone else has been suffering, but I did see one person on YouTube have a full lock up. Outside of that, it feels like performance is consistently worse than the main game but I've seen people praise the improved draw distance/LODs (or similar) so maybe that's what it comes down to.

Maybe you'll have a better time if you come back to it in a month or two. And don't hold yourself to rules like no summons etc, just do whatever you want to have fun. That's all it's about. I found that the DLC almost expects you to use all of the tools and options you gained from the main game.

If you're not just feeling more of the same, perhaps give the deflecting tear a go. 5 minutes of Sekiro-style deflects that block 100% of physical damage and I think 70% of the rest regardless of what you use (so no less from 2 handing a weapon) and massively reduced stamina consumption. Each deflect also builds up guard counter bonus for the next counter, with up to 80% damage boost. Bonus goes away after 5 seconds of not deflecting. It's a shame you only get 5 minutes with it, but that's plenty for any boss.
Redoing base game and I’m at Malenia.

Tried her with Reduvia dagger for a bit and wasn’t liking the flow to the fight. Switched to my +25 backhand blades and enjoying it much more. Got her to 5% 3 times and choked on phase 2.

Just a matter of time. Still find this boss dumb RNG, but this weapon allows me to be far more oppressive towards her than my launch attempts with blasphemous blade.

Likely will redo base game and leave dlc for another time. The idea of collecting skadus just doesn’t sound fun.
Malenia is very much a min-max boss. She's got range, hits hard, and has life steal. But she's also very susceptible to status effects, easy to stagger, and can be launched if you have the right moves. She can bully you, but she can also be bullied like few others can.

A couple pages back I decided to use her as practice for the deflecting tear, and I had a great time because I didn't go in with the intention of winning. I just relearned the fight to the point where winning was a natural outcome of dodging/deflecting and punishing.

Even with cheese methods you have to learn some dodges, like waterfowl, because that will murder you if you don't stop it or dodge it. Luckily freeze pots are amazing and you can learn the thresholds for her doing it (something like 75% and 50%).

Also, see above what I said about the deflecting tear. I had a very fun time fighting Malenia like that and after some practice I bullied her.

As for Scadutree fragments, you're not supposed to collect them like that. I found every one I did organically while exploring the world, and I got to level 18.

I think I heard yesterday that there's a soft cap around level 12, so that tells you finding them all should not be a focus. Your time is much better spent engaging with the combat instead of boringly searching for what's more of a progress reward.

Bojji

Malenia and DLC final boss are truly awful since so much of the fight revolves around getting them to repeat their punishable moves and bum rushing them when that happens. The longer you prolong the fights, the more likely they are going to pull a couple combos in a row that will get you killed with no chance to heal.

Two years ago I have beaten Malenia using my mage with medium shield and sword infused with magic (standard long sword, lol) just like all other bosses. I think I did it under 10 tries.

For DLC, I have beaten all the bosses using the same build (but with Moonveil) and I would say that game is relatively easy after getting few tree upgrades, only Bayle and Messmer offered me some challenge.

But final boss, holy shit... I had to change entire build to beat him. Spear infused with bleed and big fucking shield, with that he is doable. I would say Redahn is harder than Malenia (for me):

N0KxmTD.jpg

Other than that game is more of the same, I would say DLCs for Bloodborne and DS3 were better. I think From needs to do some changes for ER2 or whatever they are cooking next.

I love how much variety game offers (that's why I don't like Sekiro that much), you can fight final boss in many different ways.

Meteor in the face hahaha.

Last edited:
In my NG+ I became Daddy Ranni, and finally got the Moonlight Greatsword that I've been hearing about for the last two years. Seemed like a great time to spec out of STR/FTH and try INT/DEX for awhile. It is a pretty damn cool weapon for sure. And the sorceries are fun, I think the incantations definitely have them beat in terms of variety, fun, and viability overall, though. I am new to this magic stuff however, so that could certainly be wrong. I'll always revert back to STR/FTH, but I'll enjoy this for a bit. I spent a +10 Somber Stone on MGS so gotta roll with it for awhile.

And just to rave about ER a bit; I played for 200 hours before finally getting to NG+, and the amount of new stuff I've found in just 8 or so hours of playing it has been crazy. I found a secret path up to the Altus Plateau that I never knew existed. And then I found a direct path to Mt. Gelmir that was completely new to me as well, I took some backwards ass path to it the first time around. On this new path I meet some weirdo crystal head ass NPC and he gives me Comet Azur. This was literally less than 30 minutes after respeccing into a magic build, having dozens of spells to try out for the first time, but wondering "where is that crazy laser beam spell I always see people using" I couldn't believe the coincidence. And just that this game could deliver such an unexpected, delightful moment 200+ hours into this character.

🐐

Last edited:

Soodanim

In my NG+ I became Daddy Ranni, and finally got the Moonlight Greatsword that I've been hearing about for the last two years. Seemed like a great time to spec out of STR/FTH and try INT/DEX for awhile. It is a pretty damn cool weapon for sure. And the sorceries are fun, I think the incantations definitely have them beat in terms of variety, fun, and viability overall, though. I am new to this magic stuff however, so that could certainly be wrong. I'll always revert back to STR/FTH, but I'll enjoy this for a bit. I spent a +10 Somber Stone on MGS so gotta roll with it for awhile.

And just to rave about ER a bit; I played for 200 hours before finally getting to NG+, and the amount of new stuff I've found in just 8 or so hours of playing it has been crazy. I found a secret path up to the Altus Plateau that I never knew existed. And then I found a direct path to Mt. Gelmir that was completely new to me as well, I took some backwards ass path to it the first time around. On this new path I meet some weirdo crystal head ass NPC and he gives me Comet Azur. This was literally less than 30 minutes after respeccing into a magic build, having dozens of spells to try out for the first time, but wondering "where is that crazy laser beam spell I always see people using" I couldn't believe the coincidence. And just that this game could deliver such an unexpected, delightful moment 200+ hours into this character.

🐐
I find sorceries to be varied but in a different way. You don't get as wide of a mix of elements and statuses, but you do get its own specialties. Carian Slicer is a great little tool, gravity stuff is cool, and for standard spells you get all sorts to over lots of bases.

Outside of spells I adore Carian Gradeur as an ash of war, and Glintstone Kris is a fantastic little dagger with a quite frankly OP unique skill. I'm looking forward to taking my int character into the DLC, because there's some very cool looking bits to try out.

Arsic

200 hours played and I just realized that if you let fia hold you then you get debuff that lasts until you use the item she gives you.

I’ve been playing debuff edition.

SJRB

Gold Member
The DLC catacombs are the best side content and the forges are the worst.

I stumbled upon a forge for the first time just wandering around after being stumped by the final boss for the 100th time.

Walked in, saw the enemies, fought a couple and though "yeah, no. I'm done". That dungeon was legit the moment I realized I was done with Elden Ring.

Last edited:

Arsic

I stumbled upon a forge for the first time just wandering around after being stumped by the final boss for the 100th time.

Walked in, saw the enemies, fought a couple and though "yeah, no. I'm done". That dungeon was legit the moment I realized I was done with Elden Ring.
Can’t beat final boss?

Just succumb to respec, summon, or mimic. You can also learn to parry him with the new parry tear. Phase one becomes a joke if you parry it all.

—-

I’m back to the final boss with my raduvia or backhand blade bleed build. One or the other weapon has carried me for certain encounters.

I didn’t realize Radagon is immune to bleed… so now I barely tickle this fucking asshole.

Gotta find a high dex/arcane weapon to build up for him that isn’t bleed.

Can I just go to change my ash of war element as many times as I want? If so I will just swap the backhand blades to frost.

Top Bottom