• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Election 2016 [Mafia] | Everlasting GOPstoppers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorian

Banned
There are a lot of things to take into consideration here. Not everyone is like Sorian who keeps constant tabs on the situation and will have the ability to change his vote at a moment's notice. Also, for some people, this may be it - there's no one more suspicious than Carrot so fuck it.

I'm just trying to keep us honest here.

Eh, alright, this is a fair point. Why do you keep calling him carrot though?

Sorian

Banned
CURRENT VOTES

Palmer_v1 (0)
Sorian

CzarTim (1)
Palmer_v1
*Splinter
Palmer_v1
Kalor

cabot (4)
Palmer_v1
kingkitty
Hyperactivity
Burbeting
nin1000
CzarTim
Kingkitty

kingkitty (0)
cabot

SalvaPot (2)
Sorian
cabot
Kalor

Hyperactivity (1)
Kalor
Sorian

Kalor (2)
Fireblend
El Topo
Never Forever
Palmer_v1

LaunchpadMcQ (1)
CzarTim
*Splinter

Fireblend (0)
Hyperactivity

Sorian (2)
nin1000
LaunchpadMcQ
SalvaPot
Kingkitty

bananaspaceprincess (0)
Sorian

El Topo (0)
cabot
cabot

Burbeting (0)
cabot
Sorian

nin1000 (2)
Hyperactivity
Never Forever

Never Forever (0)
*Splinter

Sorian

Banned
Last I checked, Carrot has a lot of votes already (Ouro can we get a vote count?)

It's easy for us to run away with small suspicions and snowball them into lynches on Day 1. The day is pretty short, if you haven't noticed. There are less than 24 hours left, and dollars to donuts, there's going to be at least one person who doesn't come back to post in those 24 hours - possibly one of the people who's voted. That means a vote may be locked in for good already.

There are a lot of things to take into consideration here. Not everyone is like Sorian who keeps constant tabs on the situation and will have the ability to change his vote at a moment's notice. Also, for some people, this may be it - there's no one more suspicious than Carrot so fuck it.

I'm just trying to keep us honest here.

So ok, fair, he is sitting at 4, I did think he he had dropped to 3 or 2.

Sorian

Banned
I was just about to post a current vote count before I refreshed and saw Sorian did it.

I do votes by hand btw so I'm always open to error, let me know if you see something wrong, it was not done intentionally if there was an error.

Sorian

Banned
I EDITED MY VOTE COUNT POST ABOVE, DONT KILL ME.

Noticed I put Salva as voting for himself. Fixed it to show that cabot was the correct person placing that vote.

Kalor

I do votes by hand btw so I'm always open to error, let me know if you see something wrong, it was not done intentionally if there was an error.

The number of votes match up with what I got. I didn't do unvotes so probably for the best that we have your post to go off for now.

cabot

Well it's good to see Launch caught up, and for some reason I became a vegetable.

now where is my dearest SalvaPot

cabot

I'm about to sign off but I'd like to summarize my thoughts with the reads list situation:

- My intention was to give an initial read on a few players that I could have. Those have already changed since, but it was there.
- I did a full list because I didn't want to assert any preference to a set of players yet, it was still in the fluff phase, and I wanted to give everyone a fair shake which leads onto
- I mainly did it to move past the fluff, which was excessive at an advancing stage of the day phase. Burb & I discussing it was essentially the first real talking point, and it has slowly shifted to a normal mafia game now. That was my intention.
- I will post an updated read at some point tomorrow, and yes, due to all your wonderful feedback, I will not include guff reads that have no useful information in them.
- Launch has got a good eye, I am more eager. I can confirm I am not a Miller in this game. If that's not a good reason to celebrate, then spin my nipple nuts and send me to Alaska.

nighty night.

I'm still waiting on the follow up here.

Ok, I'm done with everything relevant for the day, now to dedicate the next couple of hours to mafia

Think I'll start with this

UNVOTE

Pure flavor vote

Of the players so far, it seems only Cabot has any sorts of leads attached. I'll agree with Burbeting here, scum could definitely try to hide behind being the first to make reads. By helping initiate the flavor to actually doing something phase, he can look like's contributing, when really, he didn't say anything at all.

By beginning to post reads, he makes it look like he's trying to figure out what's going on and being serious, while using flavor to fill in the blanks about what he "doesn't know". Problem is, there are 16 blanks.

Idk, I'm not to good at making reads based off of behavior, typically think of it through a perspective of what happens in this situation and what the possible results are

VOTE: Cabot

I'm very ready to listen to something that makes more sense from someone else, but I'll leave my vote on cabot for now

Disclaimer: I will probably be defending Cabot a lot going forward. I strongly believe he has a strong PR. Lynching him today is not a great idea.

Of the players so far, it seems only Cabot has any sorts of leads attached. I'll agree with Burbeting here, scum could definitely try to hide behind being the first to make reads. By helping initiate the flavor to actually doing something phase, he can look like's contributing, when really, he didn't say anything at all.

By beginning to post reads, he makes it look like he's trying to figure out what's going on and being serious, while using flavor to fill in the blanks about what he "doesn't know". Problem is, there are 16 blanks.

Idk, I'm not to good at making reads based off of behavior, typically think of it through a perspective of what happens in this situation and what the possible results are

I'm very ready to listen to something that makes more sense from someone else, but I'll leave my vote on cabot for now

You know who else benefits from posting constant reads? High-value targets. When people see they have an important role in mafia, there are numerous ways they could act. However, if they know that if things turn on them and they're forced to reveal their roles, then they'll likely be getting killed in that following night phase unless someone protects them. Carrot is posting a lot of reads, both out of eagerness to get the game going (because coming off a Miller role is absolute shite), and because he needs to record his thoughts in case things take a turn for the worst. Even if early on, he may not have much to say about the players, those thoughts are still on paper.

Now, I'm not saying Carrot is necessarily a strong PR; far from it, I'm very suspicious of everyone so early on in the game. But he should be a person we keep an eye on and see how he acts going forward, not take out of the picture immediately. Acting like tryhard Day 1 is hardly an excuse to lynch anyone.

*Splinter

I haven't decided who I really want to vote for yet, but I've decided it won't be Cabot today. Whether his reads were fake-helpful or not he's given us a lot of opportunity to look at his playstyle, and if he keeps that up we'll likely get more substantive (is that a word?) ideas on him sooner or later.

I'd rather remove a low-contributor. I don't want to get weeks into this game and still have someone that we have no ideas on except "well (s)he sure doesn't post much".

Sorian

Banned
Ok, I'm done with everything relevant for the day, now to dedicate the next couple of hours to mafia

Think I'll start with this

UNVOTE

Pure flavor vote

Well, my vote was only to get you to throw out real information and while I don't agree with your read at all (I actually appreciate anyone who gets the discussion away from fluff and flavor and towards real mafia talk) you did offer up something and day 1 still has a bit to go so I'll move on to the last inactive person (ignoring Tim's vacated role).

VOTE: SalvaPot

I haven't decided who I really want to vote for yet, but I've decided it won't be Cabot today. Whether his reads were fake-helpful or not he's given us a lot of opportunity to look at his playstyle, and if he keeps that up we'll likely get more substantive (is that a word?) ideas on him sooner or later.

I'd rather remove a low-contributor. I don't want to get weeks into this game and still have someone that we have no ideas on except "well (s)he sure doesn't post much".

I'd rather do this too, because you're less likely to screw it up, but what's nice is that so far there hasn't really been any glaring no contributors. Everyone's been relatively active at the very least

And launchpad, I'm not so sure on that point. While I agree that people do play more actively and excited when they have a PR, PRs also are generally more careful on earlier days.

I don't think either argument is off, because there are multiple ways to play everything, and trying to ascribe only one behavior to a role is the precise way someone is town can get blindsided, but I find it more likely that a PR would be very careful that first day at the very least.

christ, if you think somebody has a power role you keep it under your hat for now

you can argue in somebody's favour just by saying you think they're Town, without potentially outing them

Well, my vote was only to get you to throw out real information and while I don't agree with your read at all (I actually appreciate anyone who gets the discussion away from fluff and flavor and towards real mafia talk) you did offer up something and day 1 still has a bit to go so I'll move on to the last inactive person (ignoring Tim's vacated role).

I'm not entirely sure I agree with my read either. In fact, I'm pretty sure I don't agree, but the first day you have to find at least one lead, because Mafia relies on using information from previous days to make reads and figure out what's going on in the present

As for you parenthesized point, I agree there too, if that's what cabot was doing. Problem is that he didn't post anything. I'm fine with posting reads and guesses and definitely for moving the conversation out of fluff and flavor, but cabot gave 16 blanks. If he had a couple reads with the joke flavor guess to fill in the blanks, I wouldn't be voting for him, but he just gave 16 joke flavor guesses. That's just throwing a read or list out there so that you can be amongst the first to do so, and looking active while not saying anything

anyway, I agree that we should probably remove a low contributor, which is why my vote sticks for now

obviously 'contribution' = / = postcount

Low-contributors are a huge negative for us, but Salva will likely turn up. Salva is actually one of the best players to have around. I've seen him cut through bullshit like it's butter. I have loads of respect for him as a player and he most likely won't leave us hanging here. Give him a little time.

And launchpad, I'm not so sure on that point. While I agree that people do play more actively and excited when they have a PR, PRs also are generally more careful on earlier days.

I don't think either argument is off, because there are multiple ways to play everything, and trying to ascribe only one behavior to a role is the precise way someone is town can get blindsided, but I find it more likely that a PR would be very careful that first day at the very least.

That's just one perspective I've provided. Conversely, he could be ordinary. I was very eager my first game of mafia, and I was taking the game very seriously. I would post reads periodically. I was ordinary, yet I was doing that because that was basically all I had to provide for town. It's just a matter of Carrot's perspective and you can't just boil it down to "he must be trying to look town, therefore he's mafia". He could, shockingly enough, just be town.

christ, if you think somebody has a power role you keep it under your hat for now

you can argue in somebody's favour just by saying you think they're Town, without potentially outing them

Read the above.

Moreover, just me pointing out that one player may or may not have a PR would be incredibly near-sighted of the mafia, but I'll keep the details of why to myself so I don't give them too many ideas.

*Splinter

I know this is a bit of a lazy way to go about things, but, starting from the bottom:

BSP - I'm not going to be super-mean to BSP just yet.
I still feel at least partially responsible for pushing AHumanBecoming out of the last game by being a dick for no reason.
Say something though!

Tim - :(

SalvaPot - Hardly posted and only fluff, Sorian just voted here though so I'll let him handle it.

Burbeting - Does Burbeting really only have 9 posts?? He's made one of the biggest impressions already

nin1000 - hmm, yeah I don't like this one's start. I think it's all fluff but it's also designed to drag attention onto him. I don't know why he'd do that but I certainly don't feel compelled to trust him at the moment.

VOTE: nin1000

Any non-flavour thoughts on the game so far, nin?

I know this is a bit of a lazy way to go about things, but, starting from the bottom:

BSP - I'm not going to be super-mean to BSP just yet.
I still feel at least partially responsible for pushing AHumanBecoming out of the last game by being a dick for no reason.
Say something though!

Tim - :(

SalvaPot - Hardly posted and only fluff, Sorian just voted here though so I'll let him handle it.

Burbeting - Does Burbeting really only have 9 posts?? He's made one of the biggest impressions already

nin1000 - hmm, yeah I don't like this one's start. I think it's all fluff but it's also designed to drag attention onto him. I don't know why he'd do that but I certainly don't feel compelled to trust him at the moment.

VOTE: nin1000

Any non-flavour thoughts on the game so far, nin?

lol nin

Good luck with that one m8

*Splinter

Low-contributors are a huge negative for us, but Salva will likely turn up. Salva is actually one of the best players to have around. I've seen him cut through bullshit like it's butter. I have loads of respect for him as a player and he most likely won't leave us hanging here. Give him a little time.
That's true, he certainly wasn't buying any of my shit last game. I think he had a slow D1 there as well.

SalvaPot

I´m back!

I have to say everyone is full of shit in this game, I have yet to see an opinion that matters.

I would agree that Sorian´s and Cabot´s idea of voting the inactive is a good one right now, I feel we tend to fight among the ones that want the attention, and usually the ones that want the attention are town, because if they are scum they tend to slip.

Anyway, I don´t have a good read yet and everyone is going in circles with the same arguments, so far the game has been this:
tumblr_neixwhokmJ1twc22ho1_500.gif

Granted, on day 1 is going to be hard to get much info. Best we can do is grind a player until he either softclaims (SOFT, PLEASE) his usefulness to town, or get a random lynch based on, honestly, arbitrary reads that you all know means nothing at all.

Now I´ll be paying attention to what you all have to say, I may not catch you today, but I will eventually.

I'm missing a joke here. The only nin I know is from game 1, and he was super quiet there because he was a doctor in hiding (I think?)

Near the end of the game in AC, he had a temporary moment of insanity where he started self-voting and jumping all over the place.

"Temporary moment" may be underselling it.

Sorian

Banned
I'm not entirely sure I agree with my read either. In fact, I'm pretty sure I don't agree, but the first day you have to find at least one lead, because Mafia relies on using information from previous days to make reads and figure out what's going on in the present

As for you parenthesized point, I agree there too, if that's what cabot was doing. Problem is that he didn't post anything. I'm fine with posting reads and guesses and definitely for moving the conversation out of fluff and flavor, but cabot gave 16 blanks. If he had a couple reads with the joke flavor guess to fill in the blanks, I wouldn't be voting for him, but he just gave 16 joke flavor guesses. That's just throwing a read or list out there so that you can be amongst the first to do so, and looking active while not saying anything

Eh, I don't like going up to bat for other people on day 1 so I'm going to stop after this one but I can't say hey are 16 blanks here, whether you agree with the reads or not, the bolded all seem to be real reads.

1. LaunchpadMcQ [m]
Launch immediately playing down all fluff is bad in my book. America never underplays fluff. D1 lynch candidate.
2. Hyperactivity [m]
Expresses disdain for me, and I welcome scrutiny.
3. CzarTim [m]
Wanting to cut the Launch cord early, noted. Nothing else noted.
4. SalvaPot [m]
I feel I owe him a day for what happened in NX. Nothing frothing up yet.
5. Sorian [m]
Started off much like I expect, and for that I don't want to D1 him.
6. cabot [m]
Science is wrong. We still have winters, and I have to wear a jacket.
7. Never Forever [m]
Taking the action early. I like early action.
8. Burbeting [m]
He went to bed, and has now woken up and said nothing, despite playing with fruit. D1 lynch candidate.
9. El Topo [m]
I've got my vote on him, currently see no reason to drop it. He's got german ancestry.
10. Kalor [m]
Apparently thinks we will be killed in this debate. Worrisome attitude.
11. Palmer_v1 [m]
Voting for me, and I asked for it. Would consider returning the favour.
12. nin1000 [m]
Obama avatar, liberal views. Thinks government should actually be useful. D1 lynch candidate.
13. bananaspaceprincess [f]
Should be in the kitchen making the man some sandwiches. She's causing great problems with God's will. I will let her live for now, because going for the only woman is going to open me up to twitter backlash.
14. Fireblend [m]
Warmonger patriot numpty. Perfect GOP member so far.
15. *Splinter [m]
I like him, he's reading into things. He will probably be rewarded.
16. kingkitty [m]
I don't like cats. Also has a vote on me. D1 lynch candidate

Is any of it really substantial? Nah, but it's about the most I probably could have done at that time too (but then I was't the one that tried to make a read list then).

SalvaPot

Also I think read lists are stupid, but that is just me. I´ll rather have a list of real reads (like, you have reads on, say, 3 players) and the others just admit you have nothing yet, no one is going to call you out on that, I think. Also it makes it easier to spot when you are covering for someone if you are scum, so I guess that is why huge lists are popular *shrugs*

Sorian

Banned
Also I think read lists are stupid, but that is just me. I´ll rather have a list of real reads (like, you have reads on, say, 3 players) and the others just admit you have nothing yet, no one is going to call you out on that, I think. Also it makes it easier to spot when you are covering for someone if you are scum, so I guess that is why huge lists are popular *shrugs*

I agree with you that full lists are stupid but I can see why it's easy to think that people you don't place on your list are people you are trying to protect or purposely ignore or something, so that's why I do full lists, so that people don't read into something that isn't actually there. That being said, you are here now and talking. Let's cut back to an early vote of mine:

VOTE: bananaspaceprincess

I believe you are on euro time so I know I might not get an answer right away but I'd like to avoid anyone slinking into the background for right now.

Hello everyone. I've got a bit of catching up to do. 9 pages worth it looks like (100pp master race). I'm gonna spend some of the weekend going through as much as possible. Not sure if it was mentioned elsewhere but I'm a dude so use male pronouns.

SalvaPot

I agree with you that full lists are stupid but I can see why it's easy to think that people you don't place on your list are people you are trying to protect or purposely ignore or something, so that's why I do full lists, so that people don't read into something that isn't actually there. That being said, you are here now and talking. Let's cut back to an early vote of mine:

VOTE: bananaspaceprincess

I believe you are on euro time so I know I might not get an answer right away but I'd like to avoid anyone slinking into the background for right now.

I am on Pacific Time, I am mostly busy in the mornings, tho.

Ourobolus

Banned
Hello everyone. I've got a bit of catching up to do. 9 pages worth it looks like (100pp master race). I'm gonna spend some of the weekend going through as much as possible. Not sure if it was mentioned elsewhere but I'm a dude so use male pronouns.
Just a heads up, this game has 48/24 hour phases. So you've got about...20 hours for this day.

Buddy, I'm about to shatter your world...

Sorian

Banned

100pp master race says how many pages us 50pp plebs see. Also, as Ouro said, the first day ends in about 20 hours. You may also have a vote active if Ouro didn't reset you.

I am on Pacific Time, I am mostly busy in the mornings, tho.

Yeah, I know, that's why I waited before voting on you, figured I'd get someone who was available earlier out of the way first (Hyper).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom