• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I love getting those data delivery mission updates that basically challenge you to how fast you can dock and turn the mission in. It's such a fun extra challenge to docking, in fact I think it might have made me better at it. I can now successfully dock in under 1 minute from the moment I drop out of super cruise.

I like where your head is at, mind sharing your proposed murder machine build?

This is pretty close to what I'm rolling with right now as far as the modules go.

https://coriolis.io/outfit/imperial...b270j04040040296b2of22h.AwRj4y1Eg===.Aw18UA==

However, my shield boosters, engine, FSD, power planet and multi-cannons are all upgraded to stage 1 engineer upgrades. Once I get done upgrading my Python and Asp and clear out my cargo hold, I'll go back and get the engines/shields upgraded to stage 3, and the FSD to stage 5. Even at stage 1 clean drives, my power overhead is insane.

Now to figure out how to unlock the other engineers I need to move beyond stage 3 for some of these components lol.

Grief.exe

I'm going to take a mission where I destroy a generator on a settlement.

Do I need a SRV equipped to do this, or can I simply accomplish the mission through hard points?

I hit 5000 tons, I reached top 10% at 2500 tons. I'm hoping that holds but the CG is only at the half mark right now. I'm sure it'll be over by the time I can play again so if it doesn't hold, than thats it.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Alright so I hear that HIP 10716 is the best place to farm imperial rep, since I'm only going for rank 3 to be able to buy the courier how long do you guys think it will take? Rank 3 with the federation took me about 2 days but I was doing it at TUN which I hear isn't the greatest place.

But yeah are there any places superior to HIP 10716 for imperial navy rank? I'd rather not have to make 50 jumps lol.

I also finally bought horizons yay!

500k fine! hehe. solid

it's just one tier. so the top10% is 50mill no matter what probably. if it follows the tiers of the 100mill narcotics one but half it'll be, 10%-50mill, 30%-25mill, 70%-5mill and 100%-200k. really easy to get into the top70% so it's definitely worth it.

Thanks! Goodbye Vulture, I shall return to thee, my love.

joecanada

Wow some crazy garages full in here thanks for the responses. It seems by the time you hit a new tier of money the old ships aren't really a big hit anyway. Like if you could afford a Python you aren't worried about the 2 million dollar cobra lol....

Seems weird that they are scattered everywhere though lol.

In other news put my 1060 in and installed horizons. No sound for some reason but flying around in awe anyway haha

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
This is pretty close to what I'm rolling with right now as far as the modules go.

https://coriolis.io/outfit/imperial...b270j04040040296b2of22h.AwRj4y1Eg===.Aw18UA==

However, my shield boosters, engine, FSD, power planet and multi-cannons are all upgraded to stage 1 engineer upgrades. Once I get done upgrading my Python and Asp and clear out my cargo hold, I'll go back and get the engines/shields upgraded to stage 3, and the FSD to stage 5. Even at stage 1 clean drives, my power overhead is insane.

Now to figure out how to unlock the other engineers I need to move beyond stage 3 for some of these components lol.

Oh damn this is nasty, but also incredibly out of my price range lol, I'm aware the courier isn't exactly as cheap to fit properly as a viper mk3 but do you have any suggestions more within my price range of 18m?

https://coriolis.io/outfit/imperial...m04040040296e2o012h.Iw18UA==.MwBhrEEYYJn2ZgSA

I came up with this fit, that I based off yours a bit, it's half the price and obviously not as good but what adjustments would you make to it? I considered swapping the pulse lasers to multicanons for fun lol. I have a ton of power draw to play with but I'm also trying to keep costs down.

derFeef

Fuel scooping is fun, but damn my Cobra heats up pretty fast. Best method for keeping the ship cool is better alloys? Also had a pretty close mission call, I think there was less than 1 minute left on the timer but I made it, what a rush!

I wish there would be compartment storage, that way you can buy and outfit your ship without having to rely on re-buying or buying things new. Different outfits for different purposes.

Is mining profitable if you do it randomly, or just through missions?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Fuel scooping is fun, but damn my Cobra heats up pretty fast. Best method for keeping the ship cool is better alloys? Also had a pretty close mission call, I think there was less than 1 minute left on the timer but I made it, what a rush!

I wish there would be compartment storage, that way you can buy and outfit your ship without having to rely on re-buying or buying things new. Different outfits for different purposes.

Is mining profitable if you do it randomly, or just through missions?

My friends went hard on mining early on and they were pulling about a million on an average 30-45min run. They had mining fit cobra mk3s which had about a 2mil setup cost I think?

Also when you sell your equipment you get it back 1: 1. Basically you can swap modules whenever and not really worry about needing to store them because you're always paying the difference. The only annoying thing is that you have to track down the seller of the module.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Oh damn this is nasty, but also incredibly out of my price range lol, I'm aware the courier isn't exactly as cheap to fit properly as a viper mk3 but do you have any suggestions more within my price range of 18m?

https://coriolis.io/outfit/imperial...m04040040296e2o012h.Iw18UA==.MwBhrEEYYJn2ZgSA

I came up with this fit, that I based off yours a bit, it's half the price and obviously not as good but what adjustments would you make to it? I considered swapping the pulse lasers to multicanons for fun lol. I have a ton of power draw to play with but I'm also trying to keep costs down.

Your set up is not that bad at all. I'd switch one of the pulse weapons with a multi-cannon though.

A quick way to earn some decent money, is to hit up the High Intensity RES, and just wait until system authority starts ripping on someone. Make sure you don't fire till it says 'wanted' and you can just move from pirate to pirate like that. If you are in a High Tech or Corporate system where you're allied with the main faction and the system has high security, Nav points are a near continuous war zone. I figured that out today as I was in the Nav Point at Gende trying to scan High Wakes, and I wouldn't even bother doing anything when a pirate would fire at me. Within seconds system security were tearing them apart, and I'd join in with my Asp to get the bounty lol.

Sick! Sounds like 4 billion of assets. What was your main type of income? Robigo? Bounty Hunting? What's your game time overall and what are your Combat/Trading/Exploration ranks?
Yes almost nothing but combat. I'd estimate 75% from combat, 25% from trading. Not sure what my total assets are. Will look next time I log in.

JambiBum

Man I forgot how flying around with a ship with a low jump range sucks. Going from 40 in my type 6 to 15 in my corvette suckssssssss.

So just said fuck it and bought a Python with my 69 million from the previous CG.
Right now I am just fitting it to have a decent jump range and cargo space so I can hopefully make some more cash off the Tobacco CG. I turned in one shipment before work today, and if its still going will probably make a few runs after work too.

After that I plan to build it to be my main combat ship for a while. Any suggestions on good combat builds? Nothing to extravagant as I probably won't be breaking 50 mil anytime soon again unless these CGs also pay out well.

Onikaan

Love the FAS. Been farming chemical manipulators in anarchy systems and the FAS just makes the entire endeavour a hoot. The FDL has the same manoeuvrability statistically, but id say the assault ship is a lot easier to spin.

I actually slammed it around at a star port because id been in the conda for months and was anticipating drift... This thing stops on a dime.

So just said fuck it and bought a Python with my 69 million from the previous CG.
Right now I am just fitting it to have a decent jump range and cargo space so I can hopefully make some more cash off the Tobacco CG. I turned in one shipment before work today, and if its still going will probably make a few runs after work too.

After that I plan to build it to be my main combat ship for a while. Any suggestions on good combat builds? Nothing to extravagant as I probably won't be breaking 50 mil anytime soon again unless these CGs also pay out well.

I used to run 2 pulse and 3 multis on the Python and it would just melt anything infront of it, but it's been 8 months since I had one and things have changed.

Try get that big (EXPENSIVE) power plant so you can see her full potential.

Only thing about 'em is you'll get out manoeuvred by wee ships and they're bloody annoying. Take some chaff.

Love the FAS. Been farming chemical manipulators in anarchy systems and the FAS just makes the entire endeavour a hoot. The FDL has the same manoeuvrability statistically, but id say the assault ship is a lot easier to spin.

I actually slammed it around at a star port because id been in the conda for months and was anticipating drift... This thing stops on a dime.
Indeed. I tried the FDL in a beta phase and no, the FAS is not matched at all in terms of turning speed and speedup/stopping. It's such a great ship. Too bad the shield slot is one class too low though. I do use a bi weave shield to have it back up FAST. So I can ram enemies, recharge while fighting. The hull is massive and last looooong, especially with hull reinforcements :)

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Alright so I hear that HIP 10716 is the best place to farm imperial rep, since I'm only going for rank 3 to be able to buy the courier how long do you guys think it will take?

Yeah I want to grind up Imperial rank to get myself a Courier too. I love my little Imperial Eagle, and I got a Clipper last year when they dropped the rank requirement for a while, but I want to fit up a Courier for exploration as an option to my Asp. I love my Asp but I need some variety now and then too. This is what I want to outfit a Courier as:

https://coriolis.io/outfit/imperial...---2t0i3uv62i2f.Iw18UA==.Aw18UA==?bn=Explorer

After some engineering work it will be able to jump in the mid to high 30’s and boost well over 500 m/s while still carrying an SRV, both scanners, and AFMU, and still fuel scoop to full from empty in 22 seconds. All of that with the great view from the seat and incredible style of an Imperial ship!

This will be my next thing to do when I fly the 22,000lys back to the bubble from Jacques.

Yeah I want to grind up Imperial rank to get myself a Courier too. I love my little Imperial Eagle, and I got a Clipper last year when they dropped the rank requirement for a while, but I want to fit up a Courier for exploration as an option to my Asp. I love my Asp but I need some variety now and then too. This is what I want to outfit a Courier as:

https://coriolis.io/outfit/imperial...---2t0i3uv62i2f.Iw18UA==.Aw18UA==?bn=Explorer

After some engineering work it will be able to jump in the mid to high 30’s and boost well over 500 m/s while still carrying an SRV, both scanners, and AFMU, and still fuel scoop to full from empty in 22 seconds. All of that with the great view from the seat and incredible style of an Imperial ship!

This will be my next thing to do when I fly the 22,000lys back to the bubble from Jacques.
interesting idea! Looks like I'll buy them in a bundle of two lol

Reckheim

Man I forgot how flying around with a ship with a low jump range sucks. Going from 40 in my type 6 to 15 in my corvette suckssssssss.

Can you let me know what your loadout is for the type 6? I honestly want to know why you prefer flying that thing as opposed to an ASP.

What would the benefits be?

Mengy

Can you let me know what your loadout is for the type 6? I honestly want to know why you prefer flying that thing as opposed to an ASP.

Anything a T6 can do the Asp can do better. There is only one big benefit to flying the T6: it’s much cheaper than the Asp. My exploration maxed out Asp has a 51 million price tag on it, while my exploration T6 fully rigged as best as I can only costs like 18 million. There is actually one other benefit to the T6 over the Asp: it scoops fuel slightly faster. Both of my ships have half sized tanks in them, and my Asp can scoop to full in 18 seconds while the T6 does the same in 13 seconds. That may not sound like a lot, but when you are traveling fast it makes a difference in light years per hour, and you really can feel it when pushing both ships to their limits.

That said though, the T6 is rather fun to fly honestly, and I know a lot of explorers that actually fly it on purpose rather than and Asp, even though they could afford one.

Here is how my T6 is set up.

Reckheim

Anything a T6 can do the Asp can do better. There is only one big benefit to flying the T6: it’s much cheaper than the Asp. My exploration maxed out Asp has a 51 million price tag on it, while my exploration T6 fully rigged as best as I can only costs like 18 million. There is actually one other benefit to the T6 over the Asp: it scoops fuel slightly faster. Both of my ships have half sized tanks in them, and my Asp can scoop to full in 18 seconds while the T6 does the same in 13 seconds. That may not sound like a lot, but when you are traveling fast it makes a difference in light years per hour, and you really can feel it when pushing both ships to their limits.

That said though, the T6 is rather fun to fly honestly, and I know a lot of explorers that actually fly it on purpose rather than and Asp, even though they could afford one.

Here is how my T6 is set up.

Maybe I should give the T6 a try, sometimes it gets a bit old flying in the same ship all the time.

Thanks Mengy.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

Ooooh an exploration courier! I like it! I hope empire rank is faster than federal lol, HIP 10716 is so farrr, I may have to refit my viper to make the trip in a resonable time frame lol because 50 jumps to grind for rank is going to be a nightmare.

Dizzy-4U

This is me, word by word. Bought one with the cg money. I want it to be my all-around ship and do bulletin board missions with it but since I don't have the money to fully fit it yet, I'm using it as a transport ship for now.

Mengy

I almost roasted myself jumping into a system with tiny white star in it. Those little bastards are HOT!

Neutron star or a white dwarf? Both are getting new graphics in 2.2 come October. But yeah, if you aren’t careful around them they can really wreck your day.

StonedRider

Managed to reach top 10% in Jaques exploration CG with 850 submitted reports. But I doubt it will be enough to stay there, should do more tomorrow.
Rewards for top 10% are currently about 50 mil with one tier to go.

I currently exploring in this huge neutron stars field below Jaques and I've found many terraforming candidate water worlds and even one earth-like in distant (~100000 ls away) subsystems with main neutron star.
Somehow this systems has increased probability of having water world.

JambiBum

I don't prefer it to the Asp. I've never actually flown an Asp. My type 6 was just one of the first ships I ever bought so I've just stuck with it. Never felt the need to go to spend the money on an Asp when my type 6 can do everything I need it to do.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Alright I'm gonna gear up my Viper mk3 for the long trip from SOL to HIP 10716 to begin farming my imperial rep, I guess I'm ditching all non essential stuff and loading up on fuel tanks lmao.

I think if I can push 120 ly on a single tank of gas I should be able to do the trip faster than if I get my jump range to 20 or so.

Welp. I'm off to Jaques for the first time! Going in an Imperial Clipper, decked out for exploring. I'm getting about 32LY/jump thanks to engineers. I know there's a cg going on but I'm in no rush. If I get there before it ends, great. If not, no sweat. I just want to enjoy the trip and not succumb to space madness

9LV9qpE.jpg

fPSBPtl.jpg

Rutti

I saw a wanted Viper about 100m outside a station when I was leaving it. It was being shot by the local security and had 30% hull left. I was in the no fire zone so I could't shoot it so I put 4 pips to my sys and boosted straight into it. I got 200 credits of fines and 17k from the vipers bounty so profit! It was really fun too!

joecanada

So the Tobacco CG is done can anyone tell me if 5800 tons was still at 10% by the end?

Daddy wants that 8A power plant!

I knew it would end before I could get back . Threw 140 tonnes in before bed though . On one trip got caught with illegal cargo due to 7 interdiction all right at station approach and ended up on wrong side of station jumping in....

140k credit on run , 90k fine. Damn police don't they have anything better to do I mean there's wanted criminals out there jacking me and you're all up here catching me with tobaccy

Top Bottom