• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

A planet in the Mammon System has a thin band of rings and is also landable. A lovely view, I must say.

Wg0RMFb.jpg

JambiBum

Can anyone tell me what the hell happened here?

Chester Bailey is Wanted, Chester Bailey is who I shot, yet I got a fine/bounty for Joe Pack.

There was another ship behind Bailey. What I think happened is that when you used your beam laser it hit him instead of Bailey. Beam lasers do a lot of damage where as if you would have hit him with a multicannon or something you would have had a chance to back off. I'm guessing that he was a bounty hunter and he was also trying to kill Bailey so he was just extremely close to him and you didn't notice him. When you shot your beam laser Bailey rolled at the same time and it hit Pack behind him. I honestly couldn't even see him on your radar until he broke away from Bailey after you shot him.

Things like that used to be a lot more annoying because all you had to do was hit someone with one shot and it would make them hostile but now you get more leeway because it is based on damage done. Was just unfortunate that you didn't notice him.

There was another ship behind Bailey. What I think happened is that when you used your beam laser it hit him instead of Bailey. Beam lasers do a lot of damage where as if you would have hit him with a multicannon or something you would have had a chance to back off. I'm guessing that he was a bounty hunter and he was also trying to kill Bailey so he was just extremely close to him and you didn't notice him. When you shot your beam laser Bailey rolled at the same time and it hit Pack behind him. I honestly couldn't even see him on your radar until he broke away from Bailey after you shot him.

Things like that used to be a lot more annoying because all you had to do was hit someone with one shot and it would make them hostile but now you get more leeway because it is based on damage done. Was just unfortunate that you didn't notice him.

Blech, I think you're right.

Just seems like this happens to me a LOT. Had three consecutive deaths at a Nav beacon because of situations like this.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
can anyone tell me whether elite feels like a living, breathing universe yet, rather than a sandbox scattered with largely unrelated mission prompts?

haven't played in a year.

JambiBum

Blech, I think you're right.

Just seems like this happens to me a LOT. Had three consecutive deaths at a Nav beacon because of situations like this.
It's annoying but if you watch when you fire it is pretty easy to avoid most of the time. Just sucks when you want to unload on someone and there is someone else in your way.

can anyone tell me whether elite feels like a living, breathing universe yet, rather than a sandbox scattered with largely unrelated mission prompts?

haven't played in a year.
It's a lot closer to feeling that way with the engineers and actual faces for npcs and now the thargoid stuff. I don't think we will truly get there until we get multicrew and character creation though.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Holy shit lol HIP-10716 to Wu Guinagi mission running for imperial rep is insane, in 3 docks I managed to go from 0-100% for rank 0, I can't believe how fast this is.

I feel like it's gonna be a pain to actually get the rank up missions to spawn though.

Holy shit lol HIP-10716 to Wu Guinagi mission running for imperial rep is insane, in 3 docks I managed to go from 0-100% for rank 0, I can't believe how fast this is.

I feel like it's gonna be a pain to actually get the rank up missions to spawn though.
Wu Guinagi is my go-to for empire ranks. Keep it on the DL ;)

So.

I'm about to finish my 500 mined minerals task for this Engineer....

...I have no idea how anyone finds this fun. This is some of the most disconnected gameplay I've ever experienced. Shot rocks, wait for limpets to retrieve, move to next rock and repeat. Check if collectors are alive periodically. Profits appear to be peanuts given the time invested, but you do so little it seems hard to justify higher pay.

I'm pretty sure I've done more reading GAF and watching Netflix than doing anything related to the game itself.

I enjoy mining the same way I enjoyed Euro Truck Simulator. It's relaxing. Though it's only something I do occasionally. I still bounty hunt more than anything by far.

Dizzy-4U

I only did two runs of the tobbaco CG and got 10 mil. Can't complain, I was really lazy with that one :p . Gonna put them to good use and buy grade A thrusters for the Phyton.

Neutron star or a white dwarf? Both are getting new graphics in 2.2 come October. But yeah, if you aren’t careful around them they can really wreck your day.
No idea, it was very small (like 15% diameter of a normal star) and very bright. My ship caught on fire as soon as I jumped in.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Wu Guinagi is my go-to for empire ranks. Keep it on the DL ;)

Heheh you got it CMDR. o7

Finally got my first rank mission out of morgan depot, i've only done like 3 or 4 laps here and I'm already friendly with all these factions lol, the payouts are getting pretty huge for data missions

Heheh you got it CMDR. o7

Finally got my first rank mission out of morgan depot, i've only done like 3 or 4 laps here and I'm already friendly with all these factions lol, the payouts are getting pretty huge for data missions
You'll be making upwards of 100-300k per data delivery once you're allied with all of them. It's insane. Lots of engineer mats as rewards too.

Go check out Mitterand Hollow in the Epsilon Indi system.

Spooky name. I'm definitely interested. I'll bookmark it tomorrow, as I've turned in for the night. Made 1540LY away (farthest so far that I've ever traveled from civilized space in this game) from Leesti today. This Clipper is a blast to fly.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
I'm amazed that you got the portraits to look decent lol! The UI color scheme that AwesomeMeat passed on to me is amazing because it's got actually good reds, greens and blues all together.

The downside is it makes portraits look awful lmao.

LOL yeah, the portraits aren't great. I use the green because of VR. The penile display handles green a lot better than having to color mix for the default orange.

Sibylus

Banned
I'm amazed that you got the portraits to look decent lol! The UI color scheme that AwesomeMeat passed on to me is amazing because it's got actually good reds, greens and blues all together.

The downside is it makes portraits look awful lmao.

I looked up color mixing again and did it properly this time. That is to say, I reset the red/red, green/green, and blue/blue fields to the default scheme and strictly used the other six fields to recreate the scheme I wanted. Et voilà!

Speaking of UIs I get really picky on matching the ship UI to colors in the cockpit so I messed with the colors to the the Keelback:

124799BB63B5E615B0B83022ABF97B6100F77A43

Pretty happy with this one. Also got 10 mil from the CG and wanted a hauler which I could use for other purposes to grind out the Fed ranks. Tried a Type 7 but really ineffective in combat. Went out got an ASP exp. Can see why a lot of you guys use it, really versatile ship.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Welp. I'm off to Jaques for the first time! Going in an Imperial Clipper, decked out for exploring. I'm getting about 32LY/jump thanks to engineers. I know there's a cg going on but I'm in no rush. If I get there before it ends, great. If not, no sweat. I just want to enjoy the trip and not succumb to space madness
How are you guys plotting for it? The system won't let me, and I have an Asp with a 43ly jump range.

joecanada

My Nvidia GeForce hasn't been able to optimize games for ages. Is there another way to tweak graphics besides the simple ones in game? Also what do you guys put game settings on? I have it on high 1080p and all effects on.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Well I did it, rank 3 empire, I could get my courier now but I think I'm going to farm these missions for another day so I can afford a better fit for the courier.

LOL yeah, the portraits aren't great. I use the green because of VR. The penile display handles green a lot better than having to color mix for the default orange.

VR aside though, the green is amazing because it isn't blinding but it's all very distinct and against the blinding light of the sun you can still read the HUD without much issue. It's also awesome that you managed to get the elements that should be red as red, and the blue ones blue. It's honestly amazing and thanks again for sharing!

Shame about those portraits though :p They look fine in the station but when you get little mission update messages they look awfulllll.

I looked up color mixing again and did it properly this time. That is to say, I reset the red/red, green/green, and blue/blue fields to the default scheme and strictly used the other six fields to recreate the scheme I wanted. Et voilà!

Oh wow how did you look up the color balancing? Just google or is there a a reference guide for it?

Sibylus

Banned
Well I did it, rank 3 empire, I could get my courier now but I think I'm going to farm these missions for another day so I can afford a better fit for the courier.

VR aside though, the green is amazing because it isn't blinding but it's all very distinct and against the blinding light of the sun you can still read the HUD without much issue. It's also awesome that you managed to get the elements that should be red as red, and the blue ones blue. It's honestly amazing and thanks again for sharing!

Shame about those portraits though :p They look fine in the station but when you get little mission update messages they look awfulllll.

Oh wow how did you look up the color balancing? Just google or is there a a reference guide for it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_mixing

Used the images to jog my memory about how to kill the orange and get the hues I wanted.

uberluigi

Banned
Speaking of UIs I get really picky on matching the ship UI to colors in the cockpit so I messed with the colors to the the Keelback:

Pretty happy with this one. Also got 10 mil from the CG and wanted a hauler which I could use for other purposes to grind out the Fed ranks. Tried a Type 7 but really ineffective in combat. Went out got an ASP exp. Can see why a lot of you guys use it, really versatile ship.

How do you change the color? On Xbox One btw

JambiBum

How are you guys plotting for it? The system won't let me, and I have an Asp with a 43ly jump range.

You can't plot more than 1000lys away at a time so you have to plot your trip in chunks.

So I'm just now at the point where I feel comfortable with my credits to upgrade my Corvette. I had no idea that an 8A power plant was 150 million. Woo boy.

Also here is my current HUD color scheme with bonus random Cmdr getting frisky with the Thargoid ship.

DrBo42

How do you change the color? On Xbox One btw

It's a PC file setting change. No official support for it yet.

Think we're using the same color setup. Only bummer is the piss yellow blur color in the center for FSD charge and ship scan notifications etc. Messing with interface brightness makes a big difference too.

Edit: Actually yours has a nicer secondary, more red. What are your color values?

Regardless of jump range you can't plot more than 1000LY from where you are. What I do is go to the map and look for something interesting- a nebula or a really bright star- and plot to that and scout around for planets to land on or bodies that no one has scan claimed yet. Once I pick that clean I plot to the next interesting thing I see.

Usually just honking each system I jump too, and scan the star while I fuel scoop and check the system map to see if there's anything to surface scan.

StonedRider

I think you are not penalized anymore if you accidentally hit another ship with active shield if this ship is not selected as your current target.
I hit system security ships a couple of times and they did not react.
If you shot ship with shield off then you become wanted for sure.

Volimar

How do you tell a player from a NPC?

How do I join a group?

So far what I've been doing is boom timed deliveries. Jump into a system, lock the nav beacon, look for manageable bounties, head for the station. Just doing this I made enough for a Cobra in 2 days. I think I'll save up for a dedicated mining/hauler ship after I get the Cobra better outfitted.

Fuels scoops are a godsend. Better than the autodock for my limited slots.

Yay, got a Cobra now. I like the view in it.

Got my first ship upgrade. It was a Cobra too. Then I got shot out of the sky. I really need gimbaled weapons and not fixed...

How do you tell a player from a NPC?

How do I join a group?

So far what I've been doing is boom timed deliveries. Jump into a system, lock the nav beacon, look for manageable bounties, head for the station. Just doing this I made enough for a Cobra in 2 days. I think I'll save up for a dedicated mining/hauler ship after I get the Cobra better outfitted.

Fuels scoops are a godsend. Better than the autodock for my limited slots.

Got my first ship upgrade. It was a Cobra too. Then I got shot out of the sky. I really need gimbaled weapons and not fixed...

On the radar, NPCs are solid squares or triangles, player commanders are hollow squares or triangles. Also if you didn't realize, squares are ships with their hardpoints retracted, and triangles are ships with their hardpoints deployed. Also all players will have a name that starts with CMDR.

Volimar

On the radar, NPCs are solid squares or triangles, player commanders are hollow squares or triangles. Also if you didn't realize, squares are ships with their hardpoints retracted, and triangles are ships with their hardpoints deployed. Also all players will have a name that starts with CMDR.

Ah! Many thanks.

August was pretty big for Elite Dangerous.

From reddit:

The events of 2.2 news at Gamescom, improvements 1.6 & 2.1 brought (after patches), the "Alien Hunt" subplot, and the poor reception to No Man's Sky's release, have all combined to revitalise the ED playerbase making August 2016 a top month.

Steam CMDR stats:

Steam owners (~820k) represent ~50% of the 1.4m+ total playerbase. Note that there will be overlap as non-Steam CMDRs can obtain Steam keys, and vice-versa.

New 2016 record high for Average Concurrent at 4,397, and 5th highest overall (December 2015 holds the record at 6,022).

New 2016 record high for 24hr Peak Concurrent at 9,334, and 6th highest overall (November 2015 holds the record at 18,039).

Full graph of concurrent player activity.

2nd-highest 2016 Audience In 2 Weeks at ~109k (January holds 2016's record at ~122k, while December 2015 holds the overall record at ~171k).

Those 109k CMDRs averaged ~14h56m of playtime each, for a combined total of ~1.6m hours.
Those 109k CMDRs account for ~13.3% of Steam ED owners, and ~14.4% of Steam ED players.
Sources: SteamDB, SteamSpy & SteamCharts.

Not included in Steam Concurrent/Audience stats: CMDRs playing via the standard/EDFX/Oculus launchers or on Xbox One.

Definitely already was assuming it was a good month based on how many new people we have here in this thread (hi!) and the amount of friends who bought this on Xbox in the last 2 weeks. The Xbox sale was quite a tempting offer, indeed.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Definitely already was assuming it was a good month based on how many new people we have here in this thread (hi!) and the amount of friends who bought this on Xbox in the last 2 weeks.

Yeah, this thread has been moving a lot faster in the past few weeks, it’s dramatically more active. Seemed to coincide with the release of No Man’s Sky too, but I’m sure that’s just a coincidence. :)

Reckheim

Yeah, this thread has been moving a lot faster in the past few weeks, it’s dramatically more active. Seemed to coincide with the release of No Man’s Sky too, but I’m sure that’s just a coincidence. :)

This would be a very opportune time to release ED for the PS4. There are many salty NMS fans on there right not looking for a real space sim.

Reckheim

I don't prefer it to the Asp. I've never actually flown an Asp. My type 6 was just one of the first ships I ever bought so I've just stuck with it. Never felt the need to go to spend the money on an Asp when my type 6 can do everything I need it to do.

Oo man, you at least have to try out the ASP (seeing as you have a corvette it wouldn't set you back too much). I think you'll love it.

I redownloaded this after the NMS hype train derailed too. Hadnt played ED since Christmas 2015 i think. Its still as boring as ever. But a relaxing kind of boring.
Im still struggling to make cash. Just doing small trading jobs as the combat is still a bit too mental for me. Considering getting Horizons jsut to give me something else to do in-game. Is it worth it?
I tried to get in on that CG but the destination was fucking thousands of LY away and id never have made it in time.

Twinduct

I redownloaded this after the NMS hype train derailed too. Hadnt played ED since Christmas 2015 i think. Its still as boring as ever. But a relaxing kind of boring.
Im still struggling to make cash. Just doing small trading jobs as the combat is still a bit too mental for me. Considering getting Horizons jsut to give me something else to do in-game. Is it worth it?
I tried to get in on that CG but the destination was fucking thousands of LY away and id never have made it in time.

Kind of insane how similar our stories are lol.
Been doing mining missions as of late (cause it looked to be low risk). But man after 3 days of mining I'm about to fly into an asteroid just to check if this is real life.

Really need something to do with my Viper Mk IV. Feels way too weak for bounty hunting right now.

It's a PC file setting change. No official support for it yet.

Think we're using the same color setup. Only bummer is the piss yellow blur color in the center for FSD charge and ship scan notifications etc. Messing with interface brightness makes a big difference too.

Edit: Actually yours has a nicer secondary, more red. What are your color values?

Values are :

<MatrixRed> 0, 0.39, 1 </MatrixRed>
<MatrixGreen> 0.96, 0, 0 </MatrixGreen>
<MatrixBlue> 0, 0.2, 0 </MatrixBlue>

Reckheim

Kind of insane how similar our stories are lol.
Been doing mining missions as of late (cause it looked to be low risk). But man after 3 days of mining I'm about to fly into an asteroid just to check if this is real life.

Really need something to do with my Viper Mk IV. Feels way too weak for bounty hunting right now.

Mining is literally the most boring thing in the game. To make quick money go to a NAV beacon and only attack ships that are already being attacked by system security. As long as you're not dealing the most damage the ships wont attack you back and you still get the reward (a significant award if you only have a Viper MK4 so far).

Make sure the ships that you attack are wanted (I believe system security will only attack wanted ships).

Edit: you don't have to be particularly good at combat since the ships wont attack you back. Make sure you're not causing the majority of the damage.

vector824

Mining is literally the most boring thing in the game. To make quick money go to a NAV beacon and only attack ships that are already being attacked by system security. As long as you're not dealing the most damage the ships wont attack you back and you still get the reward (a significant award if you only have a Viper MK4 so far).

Make sure the ships that you attack are wanted (I believe system security will only attack wanted ships).

Edit: you don't have to be particularly good at combat since the ships wont attack you back. Make sure you're not causing the majority of the damage.

Make sure you pick up a Kill Warrant Scanner as well, it'll increase your bounty payout. The RES are good for this kind of activity as well. Just make sure they have system security in them to do most of the work for you.

And the ships WILL attack you. I tried to face down a Clipper and got my ass handed to me. So make sure the shields are down and the hull % is low.

Lastly, do NOT shoot the system security (even by accident). You'll accrue a bounty and they'll start attacking you back. I barely escaped an Anaconda with 9% left on my hull.

Reckheim

Make sure you pick up a Kill Warrant Scanner as well, it'll increase your bounty payout. The RES are good for this kind of activity as well. Just make sure they have system security in them to do most of the work for you.

And the ships WILL attack you. I tried to face down a Clipper and got my ass handed to me. So make sure the shields are down and the hull % is low.

Lastly, do NOT shoot the system security (even by accident). You'll accrue a bounty and they'll start attacking you back. I barely escaped an Anaconda with 9% left on my hull.

Don't attack the ships until they are already fighting the system security and they shouldn't attack you unless you are causing the most amount of damage. Comparable to agro in MMO's.

StonedRider

Horizons adds planetary landing, ability to drive SRV on the surface, planetary spaceports and points of interest.
Another big thing is Engineers - you can upgrade your ship modules with materials. You can fine tune your ship stats - speed, internals temperature, mass, hyperjump range, etc.

Actually, in Horizons you will do the same things as in vanilla ED (except planetary landing), but besides getting money you will collect materials for future engineer upgrades. In short, you will have one more reason to grind the same activities.

New activity will come with next big Horizons update (october 2016) - passengers and tourists. I am not very hyped about it, I think it will be as boring as trading and less efficient in terms of money.

I kinda like the idea of buying an Orca or Beluga and shuttling rich farts around and occasionally fending off pirates and the like. Could be a fun change of pace.

Top Bottom