• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Mining is literally the most boring thing in the game.

Eh, I can see why people find it boring, but honestly since they added mining drones I find it very enjoyable. I can spend hours prospecting in asteroid fields orbiting beautiful planets or stars, blasting space rocks while my little robots collect the goods for me. There is an Easter Egg hunt kind of gameplay that I really enjoy with the prospector drones, flying from asteroid to asteroid looking for the ones that are valuable.

I’m sad about ice mining though. The ice rings are so damn gorgeous, but ice mining is literally the most unprofitable act in the game right now. It’s terribad, like 75% less profitable than metallic mining. I keep hoping they address the imbalance but as of yet they have not, and I won’t bother with ice mining ever again until they do. It’s just a waste of time.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I had a horrifying moment last night while hauling stuff.

While jumping into a system to finish a few time delivery missions I was so preoccupied looking at my nav panel to try and decide which station to go to first that I got yanked out of super cruise by the sun. Annoying but whatever I figured I can just keep looking through these while the FSD cools down. So im flipping through transactions when my proximity warning goes off but before I can react at max throttle I fly into an imperial clipper.

I start to panic when I noticed that he had been hailing me to empty my cargo...great a pirate.

My FSD hadn't cooled yet and my shields were basically down from the impact. The situation wasn't looking good. I set pips to 4-2-0 expecting him to fire upon me as soon as I boost away, but I wasn't ready for how aggressive he was going to be or how damn fast!

I had stripped most of my vipers internals for cargo racks so I only had a shield generator and chaff as defensive options, and that shield was not going to hold for long so I start dumping chaff. Due to chaff I am avoiding most hits so my shields are barely holding. A few moments later my FSD comes up, I boost and start charging it, only one problem I AM NEXT TO THE SUN!

Between my FSD charging, dumping chaff and boosting my heat warning is blaring as my temperature starts pushing 200%! I'm literally going to cook to death, and the FSD charge is taking its sweet time spooling up. Modules start failing, first the guns, then the shield booster then right as the FSD is charged the CARGO HATCH goes!

I freak out as I hear my ship telling me it is dumping cargo expecting my mission cargo to be unwillingly released. In that instant I enter supercruise at 46% hull and shields one more direct hit from shattering.

Thankfully I only lost a few tons of commodities i got as a mission reward that I had forgotten to sell. But man I was on the edge of my seat the whole time.

Lesson learned, always pay attention when dropping out of a jump lol.

StonedRider

I kinda like the idea of buying an Orca or Beluga and shuttling rich farts around and occasionally fending off pirates and the like. Could be a fun change of pace.

This rich farts are too demanding and can abandon your ship without payment if you do something they did not like. I would like an idea to sell some rich asses as slaves or shoot their live pods to black hole if they act themselves as douchebags.
As a captain I will not tolerate douchebags on my ship!

Hylian7

So.

I'm about to finish my 500 mined minerals task for this Engineer....

...I have no idea how anyone finds this fun. This is some of the most disconnected gameplay I've ever experienced. Shot rocks, wait for limpets to retrieve, move to next rock and repeat. Check if collectors are alive periodically. Profits appear to be peanuts given the time invested, but you do so little it seems hard to justify higher pay.

I'm pretty sure I've done more reading GAF and watching Netflix than doing anything related to the game itself.
This is why have barely touched the game since Engineers hit, although I kind of want to go back lately.

vector824

Don't attack the ships until they are already fighting the system security and they shouldn't attack you unless you are causing the most amount of damage. Comparable to agro in MMO's.

He was already engaged, popped him twice, he turned to me and in 15 seconds I was back at the last space station buying a new ship. I'm not saying you're incorrect, I'm just saying be careful. Since then I haven't been shot down when bounty hunting because I keep my distance and make sure I don't draw attention to myself. Lesson learned I guess!

Pomerlaw

Engineers are totally optional. I have 400 materials and haven't tried any upgrades yet. I just amass them as I move along.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Regardless of jump range you can't plot more than 1000LY from where you are. What I do is go to the map and look for something interesting- a nebula or a really bright star- and plot to that and scout around for planets to land on or bodies that no one has scan claimed yet. Once I pick that clean I plot to the next interesting thing I see.

Usually just honking each system I jump too, and scan the star while I fuel scoop and check the system map to see if there's anything to surface scan.

You can't plot more than 1000lys away at a time so you have to plot your trip in chunks.
Thanks guys :)

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Engineers are totally optional. I have 400 materials and haven't tried any upgrades yet. I just amass them as I move along.

I’ve only bothered to unlock the initial engineers, and out of those four I’ve only ranked up the one with the level 5 FSD mods. The FSD mods are really all I’m interested in anyway, everything else is mostly combat related so I can ignore them. If (when) the Thargoids show up I’ll grind to unlock lightweight weapon mounts so I can keep my jump range optimized.

So. I'm unlocking the final engineer now.

Trust me: the shit you *actually* need won't be amassed, and it damn sure won't happen by random luck. Most shit requires you to be in the right places at the right times or take missions that explicitly offer a certain mat or commodity as a reward. Some shit requires you to do quite a few things you otherwise may have never done before.

To be sure: the notion of getting upgrades beyond level 1 upgrades is a fallacy. A lot of stuff will be picked up along the way while doing stuff for Engineers, but...yea. Just happening upon things you need ain't happening.

So. I'm unlocking the final engineer now.

Trust me: the shit you *actually* need won't be amassed, and it damn sure won't happen by random luck. Most shit requires you to be in the right places at the right times or take missions that explicitly offer a certain mat or commodity as a reward. Some shit requires you to do quite a few things you otherwise may have never done before.

To be sure: the notion of getting upgrades beyond level 1 upgrades is a fallacy. A lot of stuff will be picked up along the way while doing stuff for Engineers, but...yea. Just happening upon things you need ain't happening.
Yeah some of the items are specifically isolated to manual actions/having certain modules. You'll never collect certain pieces of data if you don't scan high wakes, for example.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
In general how well do pack hounds work? They look amazing but the damage seems to be middling and it looks like you burn through the ammo super fast.

Is it worth the power play grind? What kind of ship do they best work on?

I was kinda looking into trying a viper with pulse lasers and two missile racks.

LooseLips

I’ve only bothered to unlock the initial engineers, and out of those four I’ve only ranked up the one with the level 5 FSD mods. The FSD mods are really all I’m interested in anyway, everything else is mostly combat related so I can ignore them. If (when) the Thargoids show up I’ll grind to unlock lightweight weapon mounts so I can keep my jump range optimized.

I have to say, though. Grade 5 Dirty Drives make any ship a hell of a lot more fun to fly! My Python has really been transformed - so much fun!*

*The grind to get there was not fun.

I deem this geological structure, The Eye of Sauron.

OgNcyVR.jpg

The peak was just over 1km above the surface.

I have to say, though. Grade 5 Dirty Drives make any ship a hell of a lot more fun to fly! My Python has really been transformed - so much fun!*
I need them for me FAS and my Anaconda :)
*The grind to get there was not fun.
That's why I do not really bother with engineers at all. I haven't even unlocked all the first 5 ones! Farseer @ 5 for FSD yay. I do only have a LVL 4 upgrade so far though.

Luckily the CG is next to me so I took my FAS to LFT 133 and made 1,5mil in bounty to be in the top 10% right now - yay. This is 2,2mil already, so it seems it will be a massive amount again. If I have the time I'll deliver some gold as well. Double payment ftw.

JambiBum

Found a place only a few jumps away from the CG that sells gold for 8k. It's on a planet so not many people will go to it so the supply shouldn't dry up too quickly.

Also accidentally murdered a player in an eagle because I was speeding and he hit me. We weren't even near the entrance, he was already out and I guess he didn't see me. We both died since the station killed me for speeding when I hit him.

Reckheim

Found a place only a few jumps away from the CG that sells gold for 8k. It's on a planet so not many people will go to it so the supply shouldn't dry up too quickly.

Also accidentally murdered a player in an eagle because I was speeding and he hit me. We weren't even near the entrance, he was already out and I guess he didn't see me. We both died since the station killed me for speeding when I hit him.

Try system 76 sigma ceti (garay station), has a ton of gold. Its two jumps away with my conda but its still probably faster than landing on a planet.

Edit: just checked, they have 28k gold.

A sense of scale, and endless space.

Between these three images, I traveled 1540LY. The tiny cluster of stars in the first image that my nose is sort of pointing to was my destination. Ended up at the main star in the cluster... Massive, as hoped/expected.

JambiBum

Try system 76 sigma ceti (garay station), has a ton of gold. Its two jumps away with my conda but its still probably faster than landing on a planet.

Edit: just checked, they have 28k gold.

Is it only 8k though? Landing on the planet actually doesn't take much time at all and it's a nice change of pace.

I saw people mentioning 2 new CGs, a bounty hunting one and a Gold trading one.

However, when I logged on last night I only saw the Gold one... Am I missing something?

Hopefully it shows up tonight as I could use a break from trading and I kind of want to fit out my Python for combat at this point now that I at least have a bit of cash to work with.

DrBo42

Thought I was going to grind some Engineer unlocks tonight. Went from Martuuk to Sirius permit to Qwent. Then realized I needed to deliver 25 units of a material that can only be obtained through mission rewards. Exit to desktop. Fuck off with that, FD. Good lord.

uberluigi

Banned
How do you unlock the engineers? Just turned in my 15 bounty to unlock The Blast dude or whatever his name is and it still hasn't unlocked. Turned in five more and still locked. What am I missing?

DrBo42

How do you unlock the engineers? Just turned in my 15 bounty to unlock The Blast dude or whatever his name is and it still hasn't unlocked. Turned in five more and still locked. What am I missing?

Lemme find it for you. 1 sec.

Edit: Use this page. http://inara.cz/galaxy-engineers

HOW TO DISCOVER
Common knowledge.

MEETING REQUIREMENTS
Earn more than 15 bounty vouchers.

UNLOCK REQUIREMENTS
Provide 100,000 credits worth of bounty vouchers.

I'm reading conflicting info regarding GPU requirements for oculus.

Some requirements say GTX 970 (such as Oculus' store) others are saying 980 ti.

Thoughts?

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
I'm reading conflicting info regarding GPU requirements for oculus.

Some requirements say GTX 970 (such as Oculus' store) others are saying 980 ti.

Thoughts?

970 is the required spec for both Rift CV1 and Vive. Of course, the more the merrier.

I previous had a 970 and didn't have a lot of issues, but concessions to have be made depending on the game

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Lmfao the first thing I do when I get my courier is take on a federal assault ship.

Oh my god that was a fight for my life. I was not ready for the full destructive power of 2 large mulitcannons and 2 medium multicannons. Not to mention that ship is WAY more manuverable than I gave it credit for. I could not for the life of me get behind him unless I jammed all pips to engines. It's a shame that it took me the better part of the fight to figure that out lol, I almost lost my canopy and ended up with 21% hull

The canopy is such a huge target, really easy for this thing to start cracking.

Still though, a nice 86k bounty for my first kill with a new ship! Feels good!

Top Bottom