• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
:O hopefully my srv didn't catch spacecrabs from teabagging it. spacecrabs was what the thargoids had in the frontier first encounters story wasn't it, and then the humans gave them spaceebola. something like this, great summary.

Could you spoiler tag this please? A lot of new players and some people might still be catching up on the lore.

derFeef

Got my Cobra, got a fuel scoop. almost no money left.
Almost shredded it during fuel scooping like a newbie. Whew... And wow, a loooong way to the Plejades, but will be worth it :)

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Stayed up late last night travelling to Cail and was able to get a narcotics in for the CG. Definitely worth it since it netted me 400K. Just need to save a bit more to insurance coverage cushion and by a cobra!

Got my Cobra, got a fuel scoop. almost no money left.
Almost shredded it during fuel scooping like a newbie. Whew... And wow, a loooong way to the Plejades, but will be worth it :)

Stayed up late last night travelling to Cail and was able to get a narcotics in for the CG. Definitely worth it since it netted me 400K. Just need to save a bit more to insurance coverage cushion and by a cobra!
The cobra is a great ship early on. I hope you both enjoy!

oh yeah. both the tobacco and the lavian brandy cgs going at the same time. should be some easy millions to get on both. if people in general bother to finish them. seems like 50mill for top10% on both

edit: wonder if the brandy cg will make it actually, since it's quite a few jumps and you can only take 5 at a time. hm

Damnit all this trader money. Gonna get a type 6 fitted and get out there, though I don't want to leave my Vulture halfway across the stars if the aliens get fresh.

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
Damnit all this trader money. Gonna get a type 6 fitted and get out there, though I don't want to leave my Vulture halfway across the stars if the aliens get fresh.

It seems unlikely they'll come to kill us all before 2.2 hits, and then you'll be able to use ship transfer.

those stream people, a stream that was linked a few pages back, were completely convinced they'll have the aliens nuke out the entire current human bubble and have us all pick up and race across the galaxy to set up a new bubble. anyone think they'll do anything remotely like that for the aliens? I just can't see that happening. lave forever!

edit: the brandy is up to 25 tons now. lol. I just brought 5.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
those stream people, a stream that was linked a few pages back, were completely convinced they'll have the aliens nuke out the entire current human bubble and have us all pick up and race across the galaxy to set up a new bubble. anyone think they'll do anything remotely like that for the aliens? I just can't see that happening. lave forever!

Where did you pick up the brandy from?

Just dropped off some Tobacco for the other CG.

The closest I think they would come to something like that would be to allow them to overrun Obsidian Orbital or something like that.

Hmmmm... smuggle tobacco with my Anaconda or Lavian Brandy with my FSD boosted ASP.... hmmmm... I'm sure whichever I choose the payout will be a disappointment.

if the payout is half that previous one for the clues like it looks, it said 100mill top for that other one and 50mill top for these, it'll be alright-- at least for me. but I did get 100mill for the narcotics hehe.

plus the tobacco makes you a pretty nice profit just running it without even thinking about the extra payout, doesn't it? I get like a total robot doing these runs, watching a tv show or listening to podcasts on the other computer, so I haven't really noticed clearly what the payout is on the tobacco-- it's like 50% profit? edit: eh more like 30%

I'll do the tobacco just because it's more reliable, though I'll be getting lots of fast Anaconda docking practice I guess. Maybe it would be better to go the safer route with my Asp for smuggling? I'm not worried about my docking ability but I'm worried that getting scanned just reaching the station will be a problem with the slow Anaconda.

joecanada

Do people save all their old ships ? I mean a cobra mk3 or viper is only like 3 million kitted out does anyone go back to them ? Thinking of just selling both for a tank vulture

Volimar

Oh man this game looks beautiful, even on my alpha I get high quality. Still playing with the flight controls to find a set up I like. Newbie question time. I was attacked during a mission and they left salvage behind. Do I use the cargo scoop to grab it? I deployed it, but I can't figure out how to get the cargo into the hold...

Oh man this game looks beautiful, even on my alpha I get high quality. Still playing with the flight controls to find a set up I like. Newbie question time. I was attacked during a mission and they left salvage behind. Do I use the cargo scoop to grab it? I deployed it, but I can't figure out how to get the cargo into the hold...

On the detailed scanner it should turn into a blue box, line up the container in the box and fly to it, keep your speed low to capture it. If you go too fast the outer lines flash red.

Do people save all their old ships ? I mean a cobra mk3 or viper is only like 3 million kitted out does anyone go back to them ? Thinking of just selling both for a tank vulture

I'm trying to collect ships. hehe, that's really my end mission in the game and has been since it came out, to have all the ships. I've got them all parked at the starter station. got almost all the ones you can get without ranks now.

I do get temporary ones I sell off again when I move around at different parts of the galaxy for different loadouts or bigger cargoholds or whatever. but I'm trying to get one of every ship with my favourite ones being completely perfect upgraded as I like to use them back at the starter station. heh. good fun

I use a kitted out Cobra MK3 for missions a lot. I don't keep all my ships, especially early on when money was tight but I do keep a few. I have an Asp Explorer, a Cobra MK3, an FDL and an Anaconda at the moment. It can be a pain to find the components for a ship so I like to have a collection for different tasks. Cobra MK3 for missions or putting myself at high risk, like flying around a community point of interest in open, Asp Explorer for smuggling or making long trips, the Anaconda for trading CGs and mining and the FDL for killing shit.

I got my first Anaconda thanks to the last CG and maaaan that ship is big! I struggled with the airlock the first time haha

I have money for a couple of rebuys but I'm afraid of losing it !!
hm, perhaps VR really is helping here that much. It was early days where people were scared of the airlock and they scared me as well. I don't have a problem at all to fly through it to be honest. I even use it with Flight Assist off all the time. Need to try this without VR/3D. Perhaps this really is helping as much with perception of the depth in the airlock. Interesting nevertheless.
How's the Anaconda with npc interdictions while trading? I'm talking about a no guns loadout, is it hard enough to take a npc attack while charging FDL?
Chaff and Boost and you should be good. I used it with a Class 4 bi-weave shield for some time. Was enough to evade and run ;)
The lack of voice over make them a non-starter for me unfortunately.
Why!? But anyways, this should not stop you from this content. He does it exceptional well.
With 2.1 you can use bookmarks. Prior to this I used Sidewinders like everyone else. Besides this I did not sell some ships important to me or if I intend to use them again. So I have an Eagle somewhere, my Federal Assault Ship kitted for combat in RES and my all purpose Anaconda better kittet now thanks to the CG :D Lost 28 million credits with it already because it was too kitted too bad for RES hunting when the police is turning their heads for a brief moment haha. Both of them are at Ohm Station in LHS 20 right now because the RES (haz and high) are only few Ls away.
And there's a exploration ASP Explorer stored somewhere as well.

At the edges of sanity and madness.

AyuuI46.jpg

cfR96Dz.jpg

Op4UCFU.jpg

zI1BvDG.jpg

DWcLUjW.jpg

0TrNmGV.jpg

wXfK66s.jpg

clOItKS.jpg

dM3rFd5.jpg

I have every ship I ever bought. EXCEPT my fist Clipper. I had to sell it to afford a Python. This was back before FDev was granting $100,000,000 community goals so money was hard to come by because ship progression was the content. I did eventually rebuy my Clipper.

My current garage:

- Original Sidewinder, right where I left it in Evarate. To be painted golden whenever I make my way back to it
- Second Sidewinder, maxed out because I could
- Cobra 3
- Cobra 4
- Diamondback Explorer (waste of money)
- Asp (with 6 rails :-3 )
- Python
- FdL (still quad hammers. Don't know if viable anymore)
- FdL (for alternate loadout)
- Anaconda, fully battlefitted, around $40 mill rebuy
- Imperial Eagle (much speed)
- Imperial Courier
- Imperial Courier (some other loadout)
- Imperial Clipper (replacement for original)
- Imperial Cutter, fully battle fitted, ~$50 mill rebuy
- Federal Assault Ship
- Federal Gunship
- Federal Corvette, obviously fully battle fitted (still rocking dual PAs; haven't flown it recently to try out new C4 options)

All ships are maxed and configured for their purpose. Every ship other than the smallest fitted with military armor or mirrored. To date only my Cutter has received Engineer mods because it's the only ship I've been in since starting Engineer stuff a few weeks ago. I do go back and fly any and all of them depending on my mood, since money is no longer an object to me. And since I'm sure you want to know:

Favorite ship overall - Imperial Courier. I could die happy in this ship.
Favorite small hull ship - Imperial Courier.
Favorite medium hull ship - FdL.
Favorite large hull ship - Undecided between Corvette, Cutter, and Conda. They all feel special in their own way and bring something to the table the other 3 do not, making them fun to drive and fight in, depending on my mood.

My current garage:
- Original Sidewinder, right where I left it in Evarate. To be painted golden whenever I make my way back to it
- Second Sidewinder, maxed out because I could
- Cobra 3
- Cobra 4
- Diamondback Explorer (waste of money)
- Asp (with 6 rails :-3 )
- Python
- FdL (still quad hammers. Don't know if viable anymore)
- FdL (for alternate loadout)
- Anaconda, fully battlefitted, around $40 mill rebuy
- Imperial Eagle (much speed)
- Imperial Courier
- Imperial Courier (some other loadout)
- Imperial Clipper (replacement for original)
- Imperial Cutter, fully battle fitted, ~$50 mill rebuy
- Federal Assault Ship
- Federal Gunship
- Federal Corvette, obviously fully battle fitted (still rocking dual PAs; haven't flown it recently to try out new C4 options)

All ships are maxed and configured for their purpose.
Sick! Sounds like 4 billion of assets. What was your main type of income? Robigo? Bounty Hunting? What's your game time overall and what are your Combat/Trading/Exploration ranks?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So I'm under 5% rank from getting the Sol permit, which means i'll definitely be able to make the trip there tonight.

However I'm kinda curious, how is the imperial courier because I think I might stop farming federation rank and switch to getting rank 3 with the imperials because that ship looks like a viper that moves like an eagle, it looks like a super fun bounty hunting ship.

Anyone have any impressions?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm loving this game. Haven't played a space sim/adventure game since Starflight on the Commodore 64, lol. Wish there was some cool game manuals.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Should I do intermediate upgrades for new ships? Or is it more efficient to save up and buy the best parts only?

You are fine to do incremental upgrades. You get 100% back on the sale of components. That is why you always want to strip your ship (sell parts / swap parts for the cheapest possible) before you sell them.

Grief.exe

I spent all my money on a couple trade missions, and loading up on Beryllium to get even more money.

Wish me luck.

You are fine to do incremental upgrades. You get 100% back on the sale of components. That is why you always want to strip your ship (sell parts / swap parts for the cheapest possible) before you sell them.

Nice.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
So I'm under 5% rank from getting the Sol permit, which means i'll definitely be able to make the trip there tonight.

However I'm kinda curious, how is the imperial courier because I think I might stop farming federation rank and switch to getting rank 3 with the imperials because that ship looks like a viper that moves like an eagle, it looks like a super fun bounty hunting ship.

Anyone have any impressions?
It's the most beautiful thing ever. Get the Courier and you'll never want to fly in anything else. I have to force myself into my trader ships simply because of how drop dead gorgeous and luxurious the Courier is. Mind you, mine is on the path of being turned into a killing machine lol.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I love getting those data delivery mission updates that basically challenge you to how fast you can dock and turn the mission in. It's such a fun extra challenge to docking, in fact I think it might have made me better at it. I can now successfully dock in under 1 minute from the moment I drop out of super cruise.

It's the most beautiful thing ever. Get the Courier and you'll never want to fly in anything else. I have to force myself into my trader ships simply because of how drop dead gorgeous and luxurious the Courier is. Mind you, mine is on the path of being turned into a killing machine lol.

I like where your head is at, mind sharing your proposed murder machine build?

So is the tobacco cg worth doing? I have a vulture now but a couple million credits, could get a decent enough cargo ship, just don't know if I should bother. Heard top goal is 50m payout right now.

I'm at 2100 tons and that has me at top 30% so far on the tobacco cg. Making about 1mil Cr per 420 ton run in the Anaconda. Was scanned just once so far in 5 trips. 500K fine for the 420 tones.

I'm at 2100 tons and that has me at top 30% so far on the tobacco cg. Making about 1mil Cr per 420 ton run in the Anaconda. Was scanned just once so far in 5 trips. 500K fine for the 420 tones.

500k fine! hehe. solid

So is the tobacco cg worth doing? I have a vulture now but a couple million credits, could get a decent enough cargo ship, just don't know if I should bother. Heard top goal is 50m payout right now.

it's just one tier. so the top10% is 50mill no matter what probably. if it follows the tiers of the 100mill narcotics one but half it'll be, 10%-50mill, 30%-25mill, 70%-5mill and 100%-200k. really easy to get into the top70% so it's definitely worth it.

Top Bottom