• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

yeah, really enjoying the cg system. the system one jump over too, lhs 142, that I was getting gold from a lot yesterday. have to navigate between the two stars, depending on the jump in, to get to the orbital.

vodock90k5t.png

Widge

Is docking a complete shit in this? When I was young, I had to get the older members of the family to dock for me until I could afford a docking computer.

We're talking "I played on the Acorn Electron" young here.

CG system has some nice space vistas

yeah, really enjoying the cg system. the system one jump over too, lhs 142, that I was getting gold from a lot yesterday. have to navigate between the two stars, depending on the jump in, to get to the orbital.

When you exit Hyperspace and you see a white dwarf.

Also that Planet looks reeeaaallly like Mars, with atmosphere.
Good stuff. Love these shots.

JambiBum

Is docking a complete shit in this? When I was young, I had to get the older members of the family to dock for me until I could afford a docking computer.

Docking is one of the best parts of the game. Or one of the worst parts if you suck at it.

I forgot how much fun being in a wing can be. Most of the stuff I do isn't really enhanced by being in a wing at all so I just don't do it. Since I was carrying gold to the CG and needed bounties for an engineer I figured I would join a wing and do some bounty hunting while I was there. We were just a bunch of randoms that joined up but it was a pretty good time. They were kind of new at the game so I helped them out and gave them some pointers on stuff.

Dex815

Also that Planet looks reeeaaallly like Mars, with atmosphere.

So... like regular Mars you mean? :)

Docking with joystick/hotas is quite easy and satisfying I would say. Never tried with kb/m but it cannot be terrible I guess. This is a space sim after all, so if you don't like to fly and feel your ship, then I guess this is not the game for you :p Although there are also docking computers in E:D :)

Bru

I know your pain! I played on the BBC Micro and C=64. I got to grips with docking very easily in this latest version, the detail of everything really helps. Aiming at a wireframe back in the day was a lot harder! I switch off my docking computer most of the time now mainly to bypass the queues at star ports during community goals.

HelloMeow

Those arms are for stronger artificial gravity. They're further away from the station's center and move faster, so there is a stronger centrifugal force.

Effect

Okay back in the Asp Explorer. I ended up trying out a Federal Dropship and it's honestly not as bad as some think based on the stats. You have to know how to fly it though and know what its limitations are. That means being very quick with the power management and constantly moving power between engines, weapons, and system. Knowing how much needs to be in each and how to boost turn. Skills that I think will translate well back to smaller ships as those were things I weren't doing as much as I should have or maybe didn't need to do.

My biggest issue though was that it always felt like npcs had more powerful weapons that would instantly drop my shields and would chew through my armor regardless of how much I had on the damn thing. The thing is suppose to be tank yet it never once felt like that. There were only two occasions where I got close to feeling like it was a tank and that included me cheesing the system by logging out in the middle of combat because I lasted that long at the least. This actually caused me to find out you can actually reboot you ship's systems and repair your ship's modules. I had no clue you could do that before. One the first things that happen on the situations was that my engines were instantly taken out and I couldn't move. I was looking for a way to self-destruct and found the repair option but wasn't sure it would work since I had no equipment that should repair. So that was a plus.

I've never had my engines taken out that fast or like that in any other ship I've piloted. It was strange. I'm in a bigger ship with more powerful weapons but I've never felt weaker and at such a disadvantage. At least in a Type 6 you know you're screwed if you get into a combat situation.

What I think I will do is next time buy the Federal Assault Ship as it has the same maneuverability rating as the Cobra Mk III and Asp Explorer I believe and try that out. Assuming I can't save enough or have the patience to keep saving to get a Python which I think will be the next major goal to reach. Flying something like the Dropship though certainly made me appreciate the Asp Explorer that much more. I still hate the cockpit though but I think the fix around that might be to just buy another Cobra Mk III and switch between them if I feel the need but I can't go back to the Cobra full time like I want because of the inventory space. It's to low and I can't get missions that pay enough to make progress and I can't kill things fast enough to make significant progress on that front either.

Unless one of the engineers can boost inventory space in smaller ships? Or they provide that significant enough of an upgrade to weapons to make you able to take out ships quicker, especially some of the bigger ones?

I really should pay more attention to what the engineers can do. I unlocked one and that after that just tried to get more money as I was running low.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
After a week I've got pretty good at docking until I accidently boosted when I went to put the landing gear down inside the station :(

watership

Anyone running a 1070 or similar here? I was messing with the graphics settings and saw the supersampling options. Is there any benefit to those?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
What I think I will do is next time buy the Federal Assault Ship as it has the same maneuverability as the Cobra Mk III and Asp Explorer and try that out. Assuming I can't save enough or have the patience to keep saving to get a Python which I think will be the next major goal to reach. Flying something like the Dropship though certainly made me appreciate the Asp Explorer that much more. I still hate the cockpit though but I think the fix around that might be to just buy another Cobra Mk III and switch between them if I feel the need but I can't go back to the Cobra full time like I want because of the inventory space. It's to low and I can't get missions that pay enough to make progress and I can't kill things fast enough to make significant progress on that front either.

The FAS is a scary fuckin thing in the hands of a good pilot. It's damn sturdy, and between thr two large and two medium hard points it will make short work of anything that stands still for too long. It is also very goddamn maneuverable.

JambiBum

I have no idea if/who I should align with...

If you are talking about between Feds/Empire/Alliance, it doesn't matter as you can always do something for each of them.

If you are talking about Powerplay stuff, the only time you really want to do it is if a particular power has an item you want to buy for your ship (prismatic shields for example). You can make guaranteed money from it but it takes a lot of grinding to get a decent amount and it's probably not worth it for the credits. Also if you choose to align with someone be prepared to be interdicted all of the time by the other powers. It's really only worth aligning with someone for the powerplay specific modules. Otherwise stay away from it.

A buddy of mine was hauling gold last night for the CG and I guess zoned out as he dropped out of supercruise while he was doing something on his phone. He heard the collision alarm go off and looked up to helplessly watch as he smeared his ship across the side of the station lmao.

RIP.

Pomerlaw

Water planets with rings are great.

J8ysPIV.png

O3zc6mv.png

EaU82aP.png

I found that one not very far from the Bubble. System was already scanned, but somehow the guy didn't scan that little gem at the end of the system. Now my CMDR's name is on her forever!

Can't wait to land on that ice sheet.

Water planets with rings are great.

I found that one not very far from the Bubble. System was already scanned, but somehow the guy didn't scan that little gem at the end of the system. Now my CMDR's name is on her forever!

Can't wait to land on that ice sheet.
Beautiful.

Widge

I know your pain! I played on the BBC Micro and C=64. I got to grips with docking very easily in this latest version, the detail of everything really helps. Aiming at a wireframe back in the day was a lot harder! I switch off my docking computer most of the time now mainly to bypass the queues at star ports during community goals.

It was a right pain. I can't remember if I had a joystick or not for Elite back then but you had to have your alignment PERFECT or else you bodge into the door. I do think I docked a few times in the end but I always found it utterly harrowing. Hopefully a full on 3D engine (and a good 25 years of age or so) will make it a bit better!

Got a big fat amount of hours to myself next weekend. Going to DL Elite and try it out for the first time (Xbox One pad in effect, from the sofa). Might grab Horizons to make it the complete experience.

Dredd97

It was a right pain. I can't remember if I had a joystick or not for Elite back then but you had to have your alignment PERFECT or else you bodge into the door. I do think I docked a few times in the end but I always found it utterly harrowing. Hopefully a full on 3D engine (and a good 25 years of age or so) will make it a bit better!

Got a big fat amount of hours to myself next weekend. Going to DL Elite and try it out for the first time (Xbox One pad in effect, from the sofa). Might grab Horizons to make it the complete experience.

showing your age guys :)

I played the C64 version so it was a bit more forgiving with the joystick.. not much mind!..

even played a build of elite on a gameboy advance once.. nostalgia.....

Anyone running a 1070 or similar here? I was messing with the graphics settings and saw the supersampling options. Is there any benefit to those?

Yes, the best Anti-aliasing. It's expensive but with your card it should be no problem unless you are already playing at a very high resolution.

Widge

showing your age guys :)

I played the C64 version so it was a bit more forgiving with the joystick.. not much mind!..

even played a build of elite on a gameboy advance once.. nostalgia.....

When I moved to the Amiga 500 version, plugged in through a stereo and not a terrible TV. Oh my god.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
It was a right pain. I can't remember if I had a joystick or not for Elite back then but you had to have your alignment PERFECT or else you bodge into the door.

I played the original Elite on my C64 with an Atari 2600 joystick! Docking was sometimes a pain, I also find it so much easier to dock in Elite Dangerous due to the better graphics and oh so much better framerates.

You kids don't know how good you have it!!!! Back in the day....

Volimar

Beware the Arietis sectors!!! So many unscoopable dwarf stars with no bases! I've nearly run out of fuel twice. Thankfully there is a decent star or base here and there.

joecanada

Avoid two interdictions. They can't have my gold!

Lol last night I thought hell with this I'm stopping to fight this clown in my asp explorer... It was a fdl and yeah that didn't last long unfortunately.

I'm running the 3a shield during these cg so I shoulda known better .

Im getting back into Elite. I was a backer and must of played for about 40 odd hours when it came out. I stopped because it started to feel like a grind, I minced about trading but never found a good system to make money. Combat was difficult because I never had a decent control set up - i couldnt get the joypad controls to feel right so i used xpadder to come up with some sort of weird combo of keypad, mouse and joypad control.

Booted it up today and im really enjoying it. These community goals are good - they are encouraging me to play with a goal rather than my previous amble about hoping to trade a good deal. Ive delivered 25 gold nuggets to some space station and am trying to find more but it says im in the top 75%. Woo.

Think i might get a HOTAS, i read that the thrustmaster x is good enough? anyone use it? i also might get the Vive - Do you Pro CMDRs think its worth it buying one now or should i wait for the next version?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Think i might get a HOTAS, i read that the thrustmaster x is good enough? anyone use it? i also might get the Vive - Do you Pro CMDRs think its worth it buying one now or should i wait for the next version?

I use a thrust master t flight hotas x and it's amazing, not just for immersion but the level of control you have available to you in a dog fight. I can pitch, roll, yaw, manage thrust and lateral thrust all at the same time with a hotas.

The hotas x might not have a ton of buttons but with clever bindings you can fit all essential functions (and a few non essential ones) quite comfortably.

With my current setup the only times I have to touch the keyboard are to type, exit the game and for screenshots lol. I can even navigate the map quite well without using the mouse.

It's 50 bucks, the buold quality is damn solid too. The materials feel like those of a 360 controller. I would say go for it, I don't think that you're going to be able to do better for that price.

If you need help or tips on setting up keybind for it let me know!

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
:snip: I stopped because it started to feel like a grind :snip:

:snip: i also might get the Vive - Do you Pro CMDRs think its worth it buying one now or should i wait for the next version? :snip:

The game does have grindy game play if you let it. It is nice to re-outfit your ships and do different things so you can stop and smell the galactic flowers.

I have about 151 hours in Elite using the Vive and some in the Oculus DK2. I can't play without VR. If you should wait, is really up to you. If you have disposable income that is a different story. Elite still has some rendering issues with the Vive but it is plenty serviceable IMO. The resolution can ALWAYS be better with the current VR headsets. I use my Vive a lot so it is worth it to me but I was an owner of the DK1 and DK2 so I knew exactly what I was getting.

Cheers dudes, some good advice. I think ill get some sort of HOTAS within the next week or so and then think about a Vive. I just need to dis-own my family, tell my chums to jog on, automate tesco home delivery to bring me beer and sausages and disconnect the fire alarms and im set.

Grief.exe

So how do I do a 180 degree turn with flight assist off?

Flight Assist off > Pitch up > engage upward thrusters > Boost?

I've been experimenting with turning my forward throttle off until I'm a certain amount into my turn. It helps with the speed of the turn, but then when I throw flight assist back on, my ship completely reverses throttle to 0, then applies forward thrust.

EDIT: I searched for my exact question and found a good explanation.

• Full forward throttle (maybe even boost/afterburner)
  • Turn off flight assist
  • Reduce throttle into the blue range (about 50%) or low end of the blue range (30-40%)
  • Full pitch until you're turned around 180 degrees. More realistically: full pitch and a bit of yaw and/or roll until you're pointed at the enemy.
  • Kill throttle.
  • Reverse throttle.
  • Re-enable flight assist.

I actually have my HOTAS throttle set to 0 to 100 speed, rather than -100 to 100 speed as I was having trouble finding that center point. May have to readjust.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So how do I do a 180 degree turn with flight assist off?

Flight Assist off > Pitch up > engage upward thrusters > Boost

Lately I've been boosting then turning FA off -> throttling to blue -> pull back on the stick while thrusting up if I want to turn tight or thrust down if I wanna make a wide reversal-> FA on to snap into place.

I like to boost first because it gives me more forward momentum when I disengage FA.

Edit oh lol didn't notice the guide, I never thought to use reverse thrust like that, really neat idea.

I also have my hotas throttle as forward only but I have the paddle on the back of the throttle be manual reverse thrust control and that works fine.

Grief.exe

Lately I've been boosting then turning FA off -> throttling to blue -> pull back on the stick while thrusting up if I want to turn tight or thrust down if I wanna make a wide reversal-> FA on to snap into place.

I like to boost first because it gives me more forward momentum when I disengage FA.

Edit oh lol didn't notice the guide, I never thought to use reverse thrust like that, really neat idea.

It makes sense as turning FA off preserves your momentum. So when you shut FA down, your velocity vector is still moving in the +X direction, but when you turn FA back on you're facing in the -X direction with velocity vector unchanged. So in my case it was going full reverse thrust, then forward thrust to meet my throttle comand.

pa.6.095.png

I also have my hotas throttle as forward only but I have the paddle on the back of the throttle be manual reverse thrust control and that works fine.

I suppose I can do that too as I have an analog switch that I use for my yaw axis, I can set the y direction on that switch for reverse throttle.

Cheers dudes, some good advice. I think ill get some sort of HOTAS within the next week or so and then think about a Vive. I just need to dis-own my family, tell my chums to jog on, automate tesco home delivery to bring me beer and sausages and disconnect the fire alarms and im set.

Check your local area through Craigslist or related tool to see if you can find a cheap HOTAS.

I found this cool all metal HOTAS that they don't even make anymore and picked it up for around $100.

HotasProduct800x600.jpg

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I suppose I can do that too as I have an analog switch that I use for my yaw axis, I can set the y direction on that switch for reverse throttle.

Yeah I just find forward only throttle control much easier to use and much more precise. Since i have the twist stick for yaw that frees up the paddles on the throttle that would normally be the yaw control to act as manual forward and reverse thrust. Handy for when you wanna keep your throttle in the blue position and suddenly need to close a gap but using boost would be overkill. Also really useful for docking lol and jamming on reverse thrust works well as an emergency "brake".

Dizzy-4U

Honestly, as much as I like the Sidewinder Radio, they need to tone down the trance / electronic crap and put some blues rock / cowboy music in it. Playing the Dark Country playlists in spotify while bounty hunting changes the feel of the game like none other.

Trouble

Banned
Honestly, as much as I like the Sidewinder Radio, they need to tone down the trance / electronic crap and put some blues rock / cowboy music in it. Playing the Dark Country playlists in spotify while bounty hunting changes the feel of the game like none other.

The terrible fake commercials overflow my cringe buffer. I just can't do it.

I like electronica-ish music, but Sidewinder is mostly garbage tier electronica. I toss on a Spotify artist radio station, 65 Days of Static or Holy Fuck are my two go-to's for ED.

Grief.exe

Are there any UI mods I can load up? I'm ready to ditch the harsh wasteland of oranges, yellows, and reds for cooler blues/greens/oranges.

vector824

Are there any UI mods I can load up? I'm ready to ditch the harsh wasteland of oranges, yellows, and reds for cooler blues/greens/oranges.

Right here my friend. Move the sliders and copy paste into the GraphicsConfigurationOverride.xml file. You'll need to open it with notepad.

http://arkku.com/elite/hud_editor/

This is mine:

<MatrixRed> 0, 0.1, 1 </MatrixRed>
<MatrixGreen> 0, 1, 0 </MatrixGreen>
<MatrixBlue> 0.71, 0, 0 </MatrixBlue>

Top Bottom