• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Is there a trick to knowing which way to dock? I thought you would just face the number and be good, but sometimes it's backwards. I know you should be backed up to the blast shield thing, but I can't where it is until I'm really close and then it's annoying having to reposition

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a trick to knowing which way to dock? I thought you would just face the number and be good, but sometimes it's backwards. I know you should be backed up to the blast shield thing, but I can't where it is until I'm really close and then it's annoying having to reposition

You wanna face the building/terminal at the dock with the windows.

Widge

The terrible fake commercials overflow my cringe buffer. I just can't do it.

I like electronica-ish music, but Sidewinder is mostly garbage tier electronica. I toss on a Spotify artist radio station, 65 Days of Static or Holy Fuck are my two go-to's for ED.

Can you do custom soundtracks? I have some cracking spacial stuff I'd want playing.

Grief.exe

Right here my friend. Move the sliders and copy paste into the GraphicsConfigurationOverride.xml file. You'll need to open it with notepad.

http://arkku.com/elite/hud_editor/

This is mine:

<MatrixRed> 0, 0.1, 1 </MatrixRed>
<MatrixGreen> 0, 1, 0 </MatrixGreen>
<MatrixBlue> 0.71, 0, 0 </MatrixBlue>

Nice.

I googled it after looking at that site and found a cool one.

EE725DE2BD472BEA19CDE90E8C814B91244CEF73

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So I just realized something for the first time.

When you plot a route or select a system in the galaxy map, the game doesn't tell you how many light years you are from that location unless you calculate it yourself. It only tells you how far away that point if from HQ, which I'm not sure what that is.

Grief.exe

When you turn in the gold for the CG, are you paid at that point? I don't have that much money right now.

I'm sitting at the gold check out screen near the CG.

joecanada

When you turn in the gold for the CG, are you paid at that point? I don't have that much money right now.

If it's a normal cg you get paid for the commodity immediately but cg goals money isn't paid out till due date .

So... If you can't afford immediate loss don't sell at a loss

You'll make the normal profit on the buying/selling of the gold (assuming you buy somewhere that is selling cheaper than Sullivan is buying) and the "big" payout once the CG ends.

Grief.exe

Just found a mission to deliver 15 units of narcotics to a Federal station and the payout is huge.

Any tips on accomplishing this without getting scanned?

EDIT: Just found some proto light alloys too. What do I do with those? Not on the commodities list.

Hylian7

Just found a mission to deliver 15 units of narcotics to a Federal station and the payout is huge.

Silent Running into the station, and then back to normal once you are through the airlock. You want to be moving pretty fast when you get into that airlock, and if you need to stop yourself inside, throw it into reverse and throttle up. Land quickly and immediately enter hangar.

Remember the scan has to complete, so if you can get enough distance between you and the space cops quickly, they can't finish it. Bring heatsinks, because if you get interdicted, you need to go Silent Running and pop a heatsink as your temperature approaches 100%.

One more thing, and this is dumb, but an unfortunately reality because this is super unfair: Log out immediately if you start getting scanned while locked to the landing pad. I have had it happen where I loaded up on smuggling missions and then I hit launch and during the laugh sequence, before it even released my ship I got scanned and lost it all.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat

EDIT: Just found some proto light alloys too. What do I do with those? Not on the commodities list.

Silent Running into the station, and then back to normal once you are through the airlock. You want to be moving pretty fast when you get into that airlock, and if you need to stop yourself inside, throw it into reverse and throttle up. Land quickly and immediately enter hangar.

Remember the scan has to complete, so if you can get enough distance between you and the space cops quickly, they can't finish it. Bring heatsinks, because if you get interdicted, you need to go Silent Running and pop a heatsink as your temperature approaches 100%.

One more thing, and this is dumb, but an unfortunately reality because this is super unfair: Log out immediately if you start getting scanned while locked to the landing pad. I have had it happen where I loaded up on smuggling missions and then I hit launch and during the laugh sequence, before it even released my ship I got scanned and lost it all.

There are a few different methods I've used:

1. Line up with the mail slot for a good distance away. Boosting in.
2. Creep and crawl along the sides of the station to get in.

As of this current patch, going in to silent running causes the scan to restart. So you can try to get in to the station, if you start getting scanned, count a seconds and pop silent running. This will cause their scan to start over.

Also, it isn't the end of the world if you get scanned. You will probably owe a relatively small fine that the payout will cover. I honestly don't do anything other than boost in and don't worry about getting scanned.

Grief.exe

As of this current patch, going in to silent running causes the scan to restart. So you can try to get in to the station, if you start getting scanned, count a seconds and pop silent running. This will cause their scan to start over.

Also, it isn't the end of the world if you get scanned. You will probably owe a relatively small fine that the payout will cover. I honestly don't do anything other than boost in and don't worry about getting scanned.

Roger that.

Hylian7

Depending on how far you went you might have lost a lot of time. Definitely the case for Robigo runs.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So my imp courier is at a 102 mass, is that going to severely impact its flight performance?

I've heard people say you want to keep the ship light but I dunno how to make it lighter.

https://coriolis.io/outfit/imperial...m04040040296e2o012h.Iw18UA==.MwBhrEEYYJn2ZgSA

This fit is listed as 94 mass on the site but it's 102 in game, I'm guessing the site doesn't factor in a full tank of gas?

Also I dont want to run a shield cell bank really since then I'd have to throw on a heat sink, I could ditch the hull package but then when my shields drop I'd be a sitting duck unless I run a shield cell bank lol.

Alternatively I was thinking since I'm running a hull package, I could run a bi-weave instead of a regular. It's 90 less shield strength but if my shieilds fail they come online in like 90 seconds instead of 4min.

Any suggestions? I'm pretty much gonna be using this ship to bounty hunt.

Your ship in the landing radar on the bottom middle should be facing away from you. If your radar switches to landing mode and your ship is facing you, switch your control mode and spin around until it's facing away.

Hylian7

Your ship in the landing radar on the bottom middle should be facing away from you. If your radar switches to landing mode and your ship is facing you, switch your control mode and spin around until it's facing away.
There's an even easier way to tell: face the buildings. There are always the buildings at each landing pad, and the little ramp is the back.

Volimar

HOLY SHIT! I'm in a conflict zone and all of the sudden epic music starts playing and two huuuuuuge ships appear. A Farragut class battlecruiser vs. A Majestic Class Interdictor. INSANE!

I'm having a hard time finding a consistent gold supply for the CG.
That clock symbol on eddb is how long ago the stats were updated right?
Just landed somewhere that said there was like 1600 supply but when I landed there they only had like 40....

looking again I guess that info was like a day old...

edit: huh not sure how I missed it but looks like 76 Sigma Ceti has a really nice supply of it.
However, I just lost 4 mil in rebuy and cargo costs thanks to a griefer.... Gonna have to try and find a wing when I do more runs later tonight I guess...

joecanada

Damn well you learn something new every day. I was fighting in cg space when all of a sudden security starts attacking me so I figure I must have shot one. High tail it out and find I'm wanted. Go to station and nope no options to pay fine. But still wanted. A stuck bounty . I'd heard of these and advice was to buy cheap sidewinder and get killed so I do and I think hell no I'm not paying insurance. Well apparently if you don't pay you start over at your "home planet" ! Great so now I'm 100 ly away but luckily I have a hauler with 20 ly range so I hop in and make the long trek back to cg system. And now I still have a "dormant" bounty , whatever that is, plus no way to pay it off. What a waste of an hour

Yeah, I figured out how that radar works. It's just annoying having to do a long, slow turn when I'm in the wrong direction

Dizzy-4U

They are, I have had to use their services once before. Was amazing to see them determine who was closest to me and within a few minutes a ship was there delivering fuel.
Yeah these guys saved my ass once. I was in so much despair thinking that I'd have to self destruct, but the Fuel rats came to the rescue. It was perhaps one of my fondest gaming moments.
That's really neat, the community seems great. I thought it was just one of those fake ads.

Grief.exe

Made my first couple gold CG runs tonight, if I can get top 50% for both of these CGs I'll be sitting pretty in a new ASP Explorer.

bj00rn_

Banned
450.000cr in one RES for the CG, basically got shot to pieces at the end and limped back with a broken canopy anxious to not lose my bounties..

Not many other games around are able to provide me with this much thrill and fun. The dogfighting, especially in ring systems (and in VR..), is fantastic.

Edit: Made another 2+ mill in bounties while my son had his nap, sailed straight into top 25%

Volimar

Made my first couple gold CG runs tonight, if I can get top 50% for both of these CGs I'll be sitting pretty in a new ASP Explorer.

Double dipping these 2 CGs is so easy. Making a profit from the gold and the bounties. The rewards are just the yuuuuuge cherry on top. Gonna take whatever my winnings are and buy myself a dedicated cargo ship for more CGs.

OMG combat is getting me sooo many more space dollars than trading did. When i first played this game i must of shipped potatoes around for about 20hours and it was slow going to raise any cash - I signed up for the cg to shoot pirates and ive made loads of money. It helps that the space fuzz seem to do most of the work for me, there are about 10 ships jumping onto any poor pirate that floats by. One i shot once with my pea shooter laser and it blew up and i got about 100,000.

I like these goals. They are giving me more direction to play. I only have a cobra with about 40 cargo space so is it worth me doing the gold one? I wont be able to add much to the pile.

StonedRider

Damn well you learn something new every day. I was fighting in cg space when all of a sudden security starts attacking me so I figure I must have shot one. High tail it out and find I'm wanted. Go to station and nope no options to pay fine. But still wanted. A stuck bounty . I'd heard of these and advice was to buy cheap sidewinder and get killed so I do and I think hell no I'm not paying insurance. Well apparently if you don't pay you start over at your "home planet" ! Great so now I'm 100 ly away but luckily I have a hauler with 20 ly range so I hop in and make the long trek back to cg system. And now I still have a "dormant" bounty , whatever that is, plus no way to pay it off. What a waste of an hour

When you accidentally shot the wrong target, you will have bounty on you, but if you did very little damage and did not kill the target, this bounty is small and lasts 10 minutes and then turns to small fine. You should escape immediately, jump to closest system, wait for 10 minutes (you can see the timer on the bounty in transactions tab), jump back and continue with your business. Then when you visit a station in this system, pay off the fine and you are good. Do not forget to pay the fine, if you did then fine turns to bounty after some time.

If you commit suicide having bounty on you, then bounty turns to dormant bounty. You are not wanted anymore, but after any security or bounty hunter scans you (with Kill Warrant Scanner?) in the system where you had the bounty, dormant bounty turns to real bounty and you become wanted immediately.

Dormant bounties turn to fines too after time passes.

Volimar

When you accidentally shot the wrong target, you will have bounty on you, but if you did very little damage and did not kill the target, this bounty is small and lasts 10 minutes and then turns to small fine. You should escape immediately, jump to closest system, wait for 10 minutes (you can see the timer on the bounty in transactions tab), jump back and continue with your business. Then when you visit a station in this system, pay off the fine and you are good. Do not forget to pay the fine, if you did then fine turns to bounty after some time.

If you commit suicide having bounty on you, then bounty turns to dormant bounty. You are not wanted anymore, but after any security or bounty hunter scans you (with Kill Warrant Scanner?) in the system where you had the bounty, dormant bounty turns to real bounty and you become wanted immediately.

Dormant bounties turn to fines too after time passes.

I got two bounties. One tiny dormant one from a guy that flew right through my beams, and a larger one from when a Feddy ship ran into me during a dogfight. Bummer.

StonedRider

Had no time to play the game for two days. Logged in today and I see Jaques exploration CG completed. Fortunately, I was able to stay in top 10% with 1016 reports. Nice 82 mil reward, plus 30+ mil exploration money - I like it! Will stay near Jaques to scan more neutron stars for a while.

450.000cr in one RES for the CG, basically got shot to pieces at the end and limped back with a broken canopy anxious to not lose my bounties..

Not many other games around are able to provide me with this much thrill and fun. The dogfighting, especially in ring systems (and in VR..), is fantastic.

Especially at night (I mean on the dark side of the planet). You should really be careful while boosting to avoid smashing your ship into asteroid at full speed.

Found a nice combat mix on my Asp Exp, running:

2 gimballed multi cannons (outside mounts)
2 gimballed frag cannons (inside mounts)
2 med Plasma Accelerators

Which different fire groups had different pips but I can play in close and deal damage to smaller ships and play more of a boom n zoom against larger targets.

Wow, a lot has changed. I pretty much haven’t played since Horizons was released, but playing NMS gave me an itch to start up again. So I reinstalled it and all my preset controls were gone. So I was stuck on a planet and couldn’t even move my rover. So I spent the next 30 minutes or so just figuring out and remapping the controls. I ended up just using my XBO controller for my rover, which seems to work really well actually. It’s nice to be in my Asp again.

So my imp courier is at a 102 mass, is that going to severely impact its flight performance?

I've heard people say you want to keep the ship light but I dunno how to make it lighter.

https://coriolis.io/outfit/imperial...m04040040296e2o012h.Iw18UA==.MwBhrEEYYJn2ZgSA

Any suggestions? I'm pretty much gonna be using this ship to bounty hunt.
If I haven't been beaten yet:
Throw out the Size 3 Hull reinforcement package and replace it with a cargo rack and mount a size 1 hull reinforcement instead. That still almost doubles your Hull HP and you gain much more in mobility... and mobility and the hilarious shields are what keep you alive. That's it, now you're 6 tons lighter and alot more manouverable. The low class reinforcment package is just there so you don't instantly evaporate when your shields do get popped and so you can still get away alive. Even if you quadrouple your armor you will still not be a good hull tank and will handicap the actual defensive strengths of your ship. Also a shield cell bank is pretty important for a shield tank like the Courier even with the heat, I'd mount a Size 2 A or B one (preference mostly, but B does weight more for one more use), the Courier can usually handle that quite well (Size 3 is a no go though). I'd through the discovery scanner out to get that stuff in, discovery data in the bubble are peanuts (especially with the cheapest scanner) and the slot is wasted if you are primarily doing fighting and mission running (you can scan nav beacons for data even without it). Bigger cargo rack also means easier mission running if you like stacking missions, not like you'll have to do that much scooping so a size 2 Scoop is fine IMO.

Weapon loadout is pretty boring even if tested, I rather prefer 2x MC + Beam for the better heat management (good when you throw shield cells into the mix) and you can also easily mix missiles or even railguns in as well. In any case I'm more of a fan of Burst Lasers anyway, Pulses are boring and pure DPS is overrated IMO ^^.

Top Bottom