• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Grief.exe

I wonder if I should just focus on staying in the top 75%, then trying to kill myself to get in the top 50%.

My paltry cargo hold in the Cobra MKIII, and my budget, can't compete.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if I should just focus on staying in the top 75%, then trying to kill myself to get in the top 50%.

Yeah, same. Hoping I can stay in the top 75% too..would still be a nice pay day. Really like the community goals.

kennah

Hey GAF. Figured I should post and say hi. Commander Kennah. Currently awaiting my first fuel rats rescue, lol. Ran out while trying to get to the Community area. 5 jumps with no stations.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
If I haven't been beaten yet:
Throw out the Size 3 Hull reinforcement package and replace it with a cargo rack and mount a size 1 hull reinforcement instead. That still almost doubles your Hull HP and you gain much more in mobility... and mobility and the hilarious shields are what keep you alive. That's it, now you're 6 tons lighter and alot more manouverable. The low class reinforcment package is just there so you don't instantly evaporate when your shields do get popped and so you can still get away alive. Even if you quadrouple your armor you will still not be a good hull tank and will handicap the actual defensive strengths of your ship. Also a shield cell bank is pretty important for a shield tank like the Courier even with the heat, I'd mount a Size 2 A or B one (preference mostly, but B does weight more for one more use), the Courier can usually handle that quite well (Size 3 is a no go though). I'd through the discovery scanner out to get that stuff in, discovery data in the bubble are peanuts (especially with the cheapest scanner) and the slot is wasted if you are primarily doing fighting and mission running (you can scan nav beacons for data even without it). Bigger cargo rack also means easier mission running if you like stacking missions, not like you'll have to do that much scooping so a size 2 Scoop is fine IMO.

Weapon loadout is pretty boring even if tested, I rather prefer 2x MC + Beam for the better heat management (good when you throw shield cells into the mix) and you can also easily mix missiles or even railguns in as well. In any case I'm more of a fan of Burst Lasers anyway, Pulses are boring and pure DPS is overrated IMO ^^.

Thanks for the tips! I eventually wanna grind out the reputation with power play to get two pack hounds installed on this thing and a beam laser haha.

I am curious though, how can I tell when I have hit a threshold where the weight starts negatively impacting maneuverability.

Yeah I have been planning on ditching the discovery scanner lol. I chose to run a big hull package because since I didn't want to run a shield cell bank I figured this way I could screw up while my shields recharged, it actually works well with a bi weave. I killed a vulture last night just avoiding shots till my shields came back, it did take forever though lol. I did take the odd hit here and there but my hull only dropped to 88% so maybe I don't really need the huge hull reinforce.

So how is this instead:

https://coriolis.io/outfit/imperial...400B402532o6b25.Iw18UA==.CwBhrEEYYJn2YDMxRA==

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Hey GAF. Figured I should post and say hi. Commander Kennah. Currently awaiting my first fuel rats rescue, lol. Ran out while trying to get to the Community area. 5 jumps with no stations.

Make sure you pick up a fuel scoop. You really can't travel anywhere without one.

Hylian7

I'm sure they have probably already shown up by now. Really cool to see it happen.

For future reference, if you have a fuel scoop, you should filter systems by star class. Only show the first 7, as those are the scoopable ones. Those are OBAFGKM, also easily remembered as "Oh Be A Fine Girl Kiss Me"

Jedi2016

For future reference, if you have a fuel scoop, you should filter systems by star class. Only show the first 7, as those are the scoopable ones. Those are OBAFGKM, also easily remembered as "Oh Be A Fine Girl Kiss Me"
That'll work much better after 2.2. We can currently limit our destination by star type, but not necessarily the route... the computer may still pass you through a few brown dwarf systems on the way to the G-type you selected. After 2.2, we'll be able to filter the route as well, so we can tell the computer to avoid non-scoopable stars at all times. Thanks to that, I'll be taking a smaller fuel tank next time I head out for a jaunt. It occurred to me recently that I usually keep my fuel tank topped off when I'm exploring, and I have the Asp's default 32-ton fuel tank, which means I'm carrying far more fuel than I actually need, since the chances of coming across eight or ten non-scoopable systems in a row is pretty much nil. That'll also extend my jump range a little by carrying less mass.

And yes, the Fuel Rats are awesome. They came to my FDL's rescue once, saved me quite a bit of money in rebuy costs. I wish there was a way to pay them for their troubles, money tranfer limpets or something.. lol. I'd have glady thrown a million credits at the guy that saved my bacon, he saved me a lot more than that.

Volimar

Exact same situation. I was making 20 ton hauls each trip for a while but I got tired of having to dock in that hellish station, so I dialed back to 16 tons with a docking computer. Still top 75%. If I keep that I'll be happy.

JambiBum

This question is only for people who play on pc and in open, but have any of you ever ran into anyone from the SDC player group? They're a group of griefers who just openly kill anyone they happen across. Not for pirating reasons, but just for the joy they get from killing other players. I really don't have a problem with it, but a lot of people do and it's why people play in solo. I've also never ran into any of them and I play in open 100% of the time.

Twinduct

So honest question, will getting horizons help me with the grind? I mean are SRV missions worth anything outside of nice visuals? Engineers worth the effort? Ignoring future content as I will have to wait to see the actual additions.

Basically should I get it now or wait for the eventual discount on special?

jiggles

Banned
So honest question, will getting horizons help me with the grind? I mean are SRV missions worth anything outside of nice visuals? Engineers worth the effort? Ignoring future content as I will have to wait to see the actual additions.

Basically should I get it now or wait for the eventual discount on special?

You can get some "destroy the generator" missions very early on that can drop upwards of 500,000 CR.

anyone in the top10% on the brandy cg? how much have you delivered? I'm probably fucked on that one, only done 50. it's about 4500 from running out now, won't be long.

Taking on wanted anacondas in an Imperial Courier is a damn blast oh my. Wanted to switch things up from my Python for a bit and haven't regretted it.

8EFrBZl.jpg

Put me in the top 10% with this haul.

joecanada

When you accidentally shot the wrong target, you will have bounty on you, but if you did very little damage and did not kill the target, this bounty is small and lasts 10 minutes and then turns to small fine. You should escape immediately, jump to closest system, wait for 10 minutes (you can see the timer on the bounty in transactions tab), jump back and continue with your business. Then when you visit a station in this system, pay off the fine and you are good. Do not forget to pay the fine, if you did then fine turns to bounty after some time.

If you commit suicide having bounty on you, then bounty turns to dormant bounty. You are not wanted anymore, but after any security or bounty hunter scans you (with Kill Warrant Scanner?) in the system where you had the bounty, dormant bounty turns to real bounty and you become wanted immediately.

Dormant bounties turn to fines too after time passes.

But now I have a dormant bounty but can't pay it. There's no options to pay ?

Gestault

Potentially dumb/noob queston:

I'm playing the last training combat mission (the ten wave thing). Most times I play it, the first 8-9 waves aren't too bad. Sometimes I get a rough alignment or I goof on a strafe, but the difficulty feels "right." But every now and then, one of the first five or so waves becomes impossibly hard. Like, an enemy (of seemingly any type) won't budge from behind me. I'm using the boost, and I normally know how to break away when someone is perfectly set on my rear. Nada. The round is just completely hopeless.

Is this just horrible luck? Are there seemingly random AI difficulty spikes that others run into?

Barkz

Neo Member
Xbox one player here. I bought this after Christmas last year. I really like it. But after reading there seems to be places that have a lot more human activity. Where would be a good place? If I could find more reliable quests, I would play more. Any help would be appreciated! I just started playing again today. (Have to relearn ship....Doh!)

Carroway

Potentially dumb/noob queston:

I'm playing the last training combat mission (the ten wave thing). Most times I play it, the first 8-9 waves aren't too bad. Sometimes I get a rough alignment or I goof on a strafe, but the difficulty feels "right." But every now and then, one of the first five or so waves becomes impossibly hard. Like, an enemy (of seemingly any type) won't budge from behind me. I'm using the boost, and I normally know how to break away when someone is perfectly set on my rear. Nada. The round is just completely hopeless.

Is this just horrible luck? Are there seemingly random AI difficulty spikes that others run into?

Now I haven't played the training missions for a long while but the abilities of the AI are dictated by it's rank. All ships have a corresponding rank: Harmless, Competent etc.

A Harmless pilot is easy to lose but a Dangerous or Elite pilot can pose a real challenge.
The best way to get rid of someone who is on your tail is to either boost away, if that doesn't work, turn to face them. Sometimes you just can't escape ships so the only way that you can break the chase is to turn and fly towards them, engaging them in a turn battle.

StonedRider

But now I have a dormant bounty but can't pay it. There's no options to pay ?

No, there is no option to pay. You must wait until dormant bounty turns to legacy fine to pay it.

Theoretically you can buy a Sidewinder and let security force kill you after they scan you and detect the bounty. Bounty should disappear, but I never tried it.

No, there is no option to pay. You must wait until dormant bounty turns to legacy fine to pay it.

Theoretically you can buy a Sidewinder and let security force kill you after they scan you and detect the bounty. Bounty should disappear, but I never tried it.

That will work to get rid of your bounty. I've done it before.

Got myself a Courier today and sold it again already. The cockpit is nice and all but I prefer my dual coffee machine in the FAS. Speed wise the FAS is on par and weapons are better with FAS. Even for exploring I'd prefer the ASP - the view out of the cockpit is too great to change this to the cool cockpit of the Courier.

Had to stop playing now cause I accidently shot the police in the RES. Need to wait for cooldown so this was a nice way to stop playing :D

Currently I'm at Top 50% Bounty and Top 75% Trading. Not too bad for the minimal effort I made.

God damn, the federal ships in the CG area fucking HATE me for some reason. I got blown to bits by them twice for no reason. I'm guessing it's because of my allegiance to the chick with the blue hair

God damn, the federal ships in the CG area fucking HATE me for some reason. I got blown to bits by them twice for no reason. I'm guessing it's because of my allegiance to the chick with the blue hair

got what you deserve, imperial scum

edit: oh yeah, I fucking made it to top10% in the lave brandy run cg! yesssss. delivered 70 tons, it changed from 30% to 10% between 58 and 62. made a couple more runs just to be safe. :)

the gold cg is about to hit tier7

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Wow this CG is really easy to place into.

I handed in 300k worth of bounties on my first run and got put into top 50%

I hope I can maintain this or push into top 25 before it ends.

Grief.exe

I don't even know how you play this game without HOTAS, not from a gameplay standpoint, but purely for immersion.

I just don't see it being as fulfilling without actually throttling up, or using all the inputs on the stick.

got what you deserve, imperial scum

edit: oh yeah, I fucking made it to top10% in the lave brandy run cg! yesssss. delivered 70 tons, it changed from 30% to 10% between 58 and 62. made a couple more runs just to be safe. :)

the gold cg is about to hit tier7

But she had blue hair!!!

I just realized what this game totally reminds me of now with the planetary landings. Atari ST classic Captain Blood. If only there were aliens you had to speak with using cryptograms when you land

joecanada

That will work to get rid of your bounty. I've done it before.

Ok I got scanned and wanted then timed out in next system, this allowed me to pay the active fine thanks guys.

Man lots of questions today. Do you have to go back to the lavian brandy system for the cg to turn in for rewards ? I don't remember having to do that before but I don't get option to collect elsewhere

For some stupid reason I'm really hoping an expansion next season adds base building.

It would be so awesome having to transport in all the raw materials to expand/upgrade our buildings, and they could act as mini stations with ship repair and commodity storage. If season 3 is space legs, it'd be even more awesome walking around our "homes."

Widge

I finally booted up.

Went through about 3/4 of the training missions. The one on one with the Cobra went on forever! Radar reading skills carried over from ye olde Elite and I got into the old thrust and brake rhythm of old.

The three vs me I found easy, the freight thing I fluked a little. I then went and tried out against docking. Oh god so much nicer than the old days. Well until I got inside. Taking into consideration I just picked up a pad and started playing, I did ok. Bar the bit where I learnt B is boost and hold B to toggle to the landing gear menu. Guess I need to learn the art of find adjustments in the place too.

Still, I reckon I could get out there and so some basic Elite-ing. Right on commander!

Grief.exe

Spend an hour getting a bunch of bounty. See Federal agents shooting someone, so start shooting before I get a scan in. Even though he's wanted I accrue bounty. Agents turn on me immediately after he's destroyed.

You win some, you lose some. I lost a lot.

Sure. CMDR DrBo42

I think I'm about to leave so I'll hold off for now.

Top Bottom