• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Have you had no extended combat encounters? I'm honstly surprised anyone wouldn't understand the normal viewing tension from that, even sans VR.

I use TrackIR every time I play Elite, ETS2, or FSX, and it never bothers my neck. You can set the motion sensitivity, maybe yours is set to require a long range of motion?

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Spend an hour getting a bunch of bounty. See Federal agents shooting someone, so start shooting before I get a scan in. Even though he's wanted I accrue bounty. Agents turn on me immediately after he's destroyed.

You win some, you lose some. I lost a lot.

I think I'm about to leave so I'll hold off for now.

I do that more than I'd like to admit. You got to wait for that scan!

Jedi2016

Have you had no extended combat encounters? I'm honstly surprised anyone wouldn't understand the normal viewing tension from that, even sans VR.
If you've actually used a decent tracking system, you'll know that issues like that simply don't exist. Do you really think people would use them if they were as much of a (excuse the pun) pain in the neck as you say?

That said, you do know that head trackers are adjustable, right? I turn my head maybe eight or ten degrees to get full 100+ degree in-game camera movement. I'm never not pointing my face at the screen, regardless of how much I'm looking around.

Gestault

I use TrackIR every time I play Elite, ETS2, or FSX, and it never bothers my neck. You can set the motion sensitivity, maybe yours is set to require a long range of motion?

If you've actually used a decent tracking system, you'll know that issues like that simply don't exist. Do you really think people would use them if they were as much of a (excuse the pun) pain in the neck as you say?

That said, you do know that head trackers are adjustable, right? I turn my head maybe eight or ten degrees to get full 100+ degree in-game camera movement. I'm never not pointing my face at the screen, regardless of how much I'm looking around.

I think what I said is being taken as a critique when it was meant more jovially. You know when you tense up during section of an intense game? You know how that happens more so during an extended session? That's what I'm talking about. I'm not saying head tracking is bad. I'm not saying Elite Dangerous is bad.

The Cowboy

Not a bad session in my AspX bounty ship, sat in the HighRes helping the cops and made 2.3mil in just over 30 mins and got into the top 25 on my 1st outing of the CG (triple anaconda spawn, 4 FDLs and a bunch of dropships and then small things like vipers and Asp's).

Weirdly, despite handing in 2.3mil worth of bounty's into Sullivan Dock , the CG shows me only me at 1.6mil towards the goal - but whatever, gonna head out again before the end of the goal for another bit of shooty shooty bang bang in the hope of top 10 placement.
---
I think i'm gonna get Voice Attack for this, this game just suits voice commands ("Computer, deploy weapons!!!!") so well that i am surprised its not built in.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Spend an hour getting a bunch of bounty. See Federal agents shooting someone, so start shooting before I get a scan in. Even though he's wanted I accrue bounty. Agents turn on me immediately after he's destroyed.

You win some, you lose some. I lost a lot.

I think I'm about to leave so I'll hold off for now.
Every time I've finished bagging a wanted person, I immediately switch to my next load out with KW Scanner. I don't have to worry about accidently being a bit too trigger happy.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Not a bad session in my AspX bounty ship, sat in the HighRes helping the cops and made 2.3mil in just over 30 mins and got into the top 25 on my 1st outing of the CG (triple anaconda spawn, 4 FDLs and a bunch of dropships and then small things like vipers and Asp's).

Weirdly, despite handing in 2.3mil worth of bounty's into Sullivan Dock , the CG shows me only me at 1.6mil towards the goal - but whatever, gonna head out again before the end of the goal for another bit of shooty shooty bang bang in the hope of top 10 placement.
---
I think i'm gonna get Voice Attack for this, this game just suits voice commands ("Computer, deploy weapons!!!!") so well that i am surprised its not built in.

VoiceAttack is awesome for Elite. I highly recommend the preconfigured voicepacks from hcsvoicepacks dot com. There are some free profiles out there and you can always set up your own. I used my own custom profile for a long time and eventually bought the ASTRA pack. I don't have any regrets on it.

Today's adventures in ice and fire

YWeaNyI.jpg

2FzPXS8.jpg

I have a question about sharing exploration data in a Wing. So I'm scanning systems with one other person. When I scan things, he can see it, but when he scans things, I can't see it, and I want to know why. Things to note:

1. I'm the Wing Leader
2. I'm the only one with a Planetary Surface Scanner.
3. He's the only one with an Advanced Discovery Scanner. Sometimes when he use the DS, I get the planet locations mapped out.

joecanada

Anyone want to share vulture hardpoint loadouts . I'm loving the pulse laser plus cannon. I find the Canon pretty tough to hit small ships but it doesn't matter because that 3 pulse laser chews them up anyway. What you do is wait when they are turning and don't have much lateral speed or something and fire the Canon .... And of course the reason you have the Canon is for the big ships..... Ohhh man that 3 canon tears a hole in anything it hits. Most medium size ships that Canon will take 20℅ of the hull in one shot . Scary . And they have no prayer in dodging it .

May try a level 3 multicannon would be pretty sweet but they lack the penetrating power that Canon has.

Anyone ever tried two level 3 multicannon?

---

Ah yes I know what you mean. I think that the bounties are separated into like federation and local... And I think you only get credit for the cg with lft 133 bounties not the federation ones ?

kennah

Hurrah! Top 99% with 1 tonne of gold. Would have dropped more but got too close to the sun when scooping and my hatch failed and jettisoned 7 gold.

Anyone want to share vulture hardpoint loadouts . I'm loving the pulse laser plus cannon. I find the Canon pretty tough to hit small ships but it doesn't matter because that 3 pulse laser chews them up anyway. What you do is wait when they are turning and don't have much lateral speed or something and fire the Canon .... And of course the reason you have the Canon is for the big ships..... Ohhh man that 3 canon tears a hole in anything it hits. Most medium size ships that Canon will take 20℅ of the hull in one shot . Scary . And they have no prayer in dodging it .

May try a level 3 multicannon would be pretty sweet but they lack the penetrating power that Canon has.

Anyone ever tried two level 3 multicannon?

On mine I'm rolling a fixed beam and gimballed multi. Beam is the heavy lifter and gives instant damage, plus it is fixed so can be used when they deploy chaff. I also find beam easier aim at modules. Got a lvl 1 mod for the capacity on the multi so it is the constant fire weapon. Always keep it on target to weaken shields, then do that sweet sweet beam damage.

joecanada

On mine I'm rolling a fixed beam and gimballed multi. Beam is the heavy lifter and gives instant damage, plus it is fixed so can be used when they deploy chaff. I also find beam easier aim at modules. Got a lvl 1 mod for the capacity on the multi so it is the constant fire weapon. Always keep it on target to weaken shields, then do that sweet sweet beam damage.

Sounds sweet. I was worried about the power consumption of a beam laser but that sounds fun. What a roaster lvl 3 beam.

Grief.exe

If anyone wants to wing up for bounties, let me know. I'm going to jump a system to grab a 4B power plant, but I'll be right back.

CMDR Grief.exe

Hey Grief, I don't know how to reply to you. Never done bounties before, so just gonna keep running gold I guess.

Did you see me winging up?

That was a ton of fun, I'm in the top 50% for that CG now. Looks like both the gold and bounty CGs will likely finish today.

BlackJace

What's everyone's "profession"?
Trading seems like too much number crunching, and mining requires some decent monetary investment before it becomes worth it.

I'm really early on, so maybe I still have some time left to decide what I like to do.

Volimar

50% for the bounties seems a lot easier than the gold haul. I'm gonna try to stay in that range for the duration.

How do you leave a wing? I accidentally joined one last night and then awkwardly left the extraction zone for repairs. The mobius pve group folks seem really nice, and it's nice that don't have to be so concerned with my bounties since it's PvE.

I've been primarily bounty hunting in one system for quite a while now. Unfortunately, 99% of the wanted ships are from one faction and now that faction is hostile towards me. I can't get around the system now without being interdicted over and over and over again. I guess that's the price of bounty hunting against one faction constantly. Unfortunately, all the other factions love me and they give me great well paying missions, but I may have to move on to a new system for now.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

I dabble in a little of everything the game has to offer, but 90% of my game time is spent exploring. I kind of play Elite like a more interactive simulator version of Space Engine where I hunt for beautiful screenshots mostly, LOL.

kennah

Did you see me winging up?

That was a ton of fun, I'm in the top 50% for that CG now. Looks like both the gold and bounty CGs will likely finish today.

Yeah you direct messaged me right as I was Jumping out of system and I rudely was unable to reply :)

Trading seems like too much number crunching, and mining requires some decent monetary investment before it becomes worth it.

I'm really early on, so maybe I still have some time left to decide what I like to do.

Mainly bounties and combat. My Asp now gives me some trade flexibility too.

Anyone still got a wing going for bounties? Just kitted out a decent Vulture to try and make some cash off the CG before it ends. Just gonna be floating around the nav beacon for now probably.

CMDR AOI SUISEI

Edit: shit I forgot I was pledged to the blue haired chick as well... Fed wrecked my shit so now I gotta make the trip back. Haha

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Anyone still got a wing going for bounties? Just kitted out a decent Vulture to try and make some cash off the CG before it ends. Just gonna be floating around the nav beacon for now probably.

CMDR AOI SUISEI

Edit: shit I forgot I was pledged to the blue haired chick as well... Fed wrecked my shit so now I gotta make the trip back. Haha

It's usually pretty easy to drop in to hazres on 2 or 3 and all for a wing invite.

I'll be back on in a few mins and I think grief is still doing his thing out there. We were in the hazres on 2.

Unless you are actively trying to do powerplay, you are better off just not pledging to anyone. It makes life a lot easier.

It's usually pretty easy to drop in to hazres on 2 or 3 and all for a wing invite.

I'll be back on in a few mins and I think grief is still doing his thing out there. We were in the hazres on 2.

Unless you are actively trying to do powerplay, you are better off just not pledging to anyone. It makes life a lot easier.

Yeah I was trying to get the prismatic shields a while back but that was months ago. Just un-pledged myself and should be back in the system soon.

I first bought this when it came out but I got bored of it since it didn't really have much to do. I was thinking of jumping back in to try it again but do I need Horizon or would I still be ok with the original?

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
I first bought this when it came out but I got bored of it since it didn't really have much to do. I was thinking of jumping back in to try it again but do I need Horizon or would I still be ok with the original?

You can play without horizons. You just won't be able to land on planets or take advantage of anything requiring landing on planets like the engineers.

Doesn't look like I am gonna have much luck with this bounty CG. There has been a wing of 4 just griefing everyone in the hazres site. Tried to leave and cash out before they got me but lost thrusters at the last second. =/

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Doesn't look like I am gonna have much luck with this bounty CG. There has been a wing of 4 just griefing everyone in the hazres site. Tried to leave and cash out before they got me but lost thrusters at the last second. =/

If the last bounty hunting CG has taught me anything it's that doing Bounty hunting CGs is better in solo, cops can't kill steal from you and you generally just end up making more money.

over 12k and almost 11k people doing these two cgs seems really good. elite is doing very well lately? was there a sale?

edit: also, very pleased with top10% on the gold and maybe 50% on the bounties. probably under 1 billion credits to go on the bounty cg now

Volimar

Seems I enjoy biting off more than i can chew. It left me spinning near the rings of an extraction zone with my thrusters at 0%. I was about to self destruct, when I saw the reboot option. I figured I'd give it a shot and lo and behold, my thrusters came back online and I limped home with 2% hull left.

The Cowboy

over 12k and almost 11k people doing these two cgs seems really good. elite is doing very well lately? was there a sale?

There was indeed (1 was a month ago, and i think there was another one 2 weeks ago), i got it on Steam with the Base game, Horizons and the Commander pack for £26 (base game was £13, Horizons was £13 and if you bought both the Commander pack was free).
Seems I enjoy biting off more than i can chew. It left me spinning near the rings of an extraction zone with my thrusters at 0%. I was about to self destruct, when I saw the reboot option. I figured I'd give it a shot and lo and behold, my thrusters came back online and I limped home with 2% hull left.
Same thing happened to me just after getting the game and upgrading to the Cobra M3, i was at a Nav beacon fighting wanted targets and shot a little to soon (hitting before the wanted bit popped up) and i got a 200 credit bounty on me - the cops went strait to "kill the cowboy" mode and i made it far enough away for them to stop but everything was dead and i had no canopy (with 5 mins on the clock for life support) etc and i was just spinning at 400mp/s into the sun - i was about to self destruct and noticed the reboot/repair button and got just enough to limp to the station (had to drop blind with no hud etc :D).

It was a great "Ohh shit!!!" to "Ohh HELL YES!!!" experience.

you haven't lived until you've had to reboot the ship computers to get home. best case scenario is if you've got canopy breach and have to reboot, highest stakes race against oxygen time. it's never happened to me that way but I'm rubbing my hands together imagining it

Twinduct

So thinking of getting a ASP Explorer. Got a decent to shit Viper Mk IV.
Any reason to keep it?

Not really seeing a reason to keep it tbh. Seems to the ASP kind of shits on it in every way.

JambiBum

I tried open for the first time. Within 15 minutes someone rammed my ship and then just blew me up....yeah, no thanks

Played 300 hours all in open. Never had this happen. Hell hardly ever even get into fights with another player unless I seek them out.

Were you at a station? Were you speeding? If you were speeding then even though they are the one that hit you, it is your fault that you died. If you are speeding near a station and hit someone else, the station will kill you. That's why the speed limit is there. If you hit someone and you aren't speeding then nothing will happen to you.

uberluigi

Banned
So I'm trying to eliminate 6 sentry skimmers on a base on a planet and I don't see any sentry's? I already got a bounty on me and no ships or whatever they are, are showing up.

Played 300 hours all in open. Never had this happen. Hell hardly ever even get into fights with another player unless I seek them out.

Were you at a station? Were you speeding? If you were speeding then even though they are the one that hit you, it is your fault that you died. If you are speeding near a station and hit someone else, the station will kill you. That's why the speed limit is there. If you hit someone and you aren't speeding then nothing will happen to you.

Nah, I was next to a star trying to figure out how to find a black box when some guy kept doing fly-bys and ramming me. I ran away and then he followed me and blew my ship up

Top Bottom