• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
over 12k and almost 11k people doing these two cgs seems really good. elite is doing very well lately? was there a sale?

Elite really seems to be booming lately, due to a combo of two things:

1. A sale a few weeks ago, and
2. No Man's Sky was a bitter disappointment.

But yeah, the game's numbers are way up!

Grief.exe

Played 300 hours all in open. Never had this happen. Hell hardly ever even get into fights with another player unless I seek them out.

Were you at a station? Were you speeding? If you were speeding then even though they are the one that hit you, it is your fault that you died. If you are speeding near a station and hit someone else, the station will kill you. That's why the speed limit is there. If you hit someone and you aren't speeding then nothing will happen to you.

I was bumped hard heading into Sullivan for that CG earlier, I wonder if they got into trouble.

JambiBum

Nah, I was next to a star trying to figure out how to find a black box when some guy kept doing fly-bys and ramming me. I ran away and then he followed me and blew my ship up

Were you not in supercruise? If you were in SC, then it's not possible for him to ram you. Unless you mean you were sitting at a nav beacon or something while you were trying to figure it out. Nav beacons can put you pretty close to a star and there is always a lot of ships at them. If you weren't at a nav beacon then I'm just confused as to how this situation happened lol.

@Grief

If they were outside of the speeding zone and they bumped you, then nothing happened. If they were close enough to the station then they would have gotten fined since you didn't die.

DrBo42

Elite really seems to be booming lately, due to a combo of two things:

1. A sale a few weeks ago, and
2. No Man's Sky was a bitter disappointment.

But yeah, the game's numbers are way up!

Lol. I think it's way more from column two. At least something good came out of it for people that were hyped up...I guess.

Were you not in supercruise? If you were in SC, then it's not possible for him to ram you. Unless you mean you were sitting at a nav beacon or something while you were trying to figure it out. Nav beacons can put you pretty close to a star and there is always a lot of ships at them. If you weren't at a nav beacon then I'm just confused as to how this situation happened lol.

@Grief

If they were outside of the speeding zone and they bumped you, then nothing happened. If they were close enough to the station then they would have gotten fined since you didn't die.

No, it was totally intentional. I was sitting still next to the beacon. I saw him flying around and he would just ram me, fly around, then ram some more until my shields were down. Rammed some more until i was almost dead then followed me doing that interdiction thing when I tried to get away

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Yay made it to top 25% Just barely! 20mil more in the bank feels nice, especially after a huge spending spree. Now I can splurge on these extra modules I've been neglecting lol.

Also quick question, why is it that the game notifies me of my chaff launcher ammo but not my shield cell? I don't have them in fire groups because I have special keybinds for them so I don't need to group them

But on my HUD it happily tells me 1/10 chaff but it doesn't even acknowledge shield cell bank at all.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
When Elite first came out on Xbox I gave it a quick try, but got a little frustrated with the controls. I wish i would have been more patient. Oh well, loving it now.

Same thing happened to me just after getting the game and upgrading to the Cobra M3, i was at a Nav beacon fighting wanted targets and shot a little to soon (hitting before the wanted bit popped up) and i got a 200 credit bounty on me - the cops went strait to "kill the cowboy" mode and i made it far enough away for them to stop but everything was dead and i had no canopy (with 5 mins on the clock for life support) etc and i was just spinning at 400mp/s into the sun - i was about to self destruct and noticed the reboot/repair button and got just enough to limp to the station (had to drop blind with no hud etc :D).

It was a great "Ohh shit!!!" to "Ohh HELL YES!!!" experience.

you haven't lived until you've had to reboot the ship computers to get home. best case scenario is if you've got canopy breach and have to reboot, highest stakes race against oxygen time. it's never happened to me that way but I'm rubbing my hands together imagining it
This is why you use a A Class Life Support with 25mins!

Oh and speaking of it, having a VR Headset helps when there is no hud anymore

Looking straight
elite-dangerousclients7osn.jpg

Peeking under the breach
elite-dangerousclient22rck.jpg

That said, it seems the AI is aiming straight to the canopy all the time since the 2.1 update.

Grief.exe

Got in the top 50% for that bounty CG, only spent a couple hours hunting too and had a ton of fun. Looks like the gold CG is about to end, only in the top 75% of that with over 100 tons delivered.

I think I'm going to upgrade from my Cobra MKIII to an Asp Explorer. Do I sell all of the parts first?

EDIT:

Yes, when you trade in a ship you lose 10% from its total value so if you sell/downgrade al possible components you only lose 10% on hull value as components sel for 100% of their purchase price

So I'm not going to upgrade some of these core components in my MKIII right now, just go get the Asp.

@Grief

It was right in the entrance to Sullivan, so he must have gotten quite the fine. I doubt he wasn't speeding since I went for quite the tumble.

JambiBum

No, it was totally intentional. I was sitting still next to the beacon. I saw him flying around and he would just ram me, fly around, then ram some more until my shields were down. Rammed some more until i was almost dead then followed me doing that interdiction thing when I tried to get away

Nah I never thought that it wasn't intentional. I was just confused as to where you were at when it happened because you said you were sitting next to a star and I thought you were in supercruise which would have made it impossible for him to hit you. If you were at a nav beacon though that makes a lot more sense.

Here's a tip for the next time you end up getting chased (by an npc or player) don't just jump into supercruise from the spot you are at. Jump to a completely different system instead. Jumping into supercruise into the same system you are in will cause you to get inhibited by other ships and take longer, plus it is easier to follow you. If you jump to another system you can't be mass locked by ships and it is a lot more difficult to follow you that way.

Grief.exe

Yeah, if you sell modules / downgrade to default you'll end up with 10% more than if you just trade in the whole ship.

This is going to be a fun upgrade since I have a good amount of money to burn.

Bounty CG is finished. Top 50% gave me 16 million. Sweet. Anyone recommend a good cargo ship?

Asp Explorer is a good all around upgrade, unless you are looking for something that can maximize the cargo.

Figments

Goddamn. I can't even play Elite anymore because the campus wifi sucks massive balls. It seems like every five seconds I get disconnected from the matchmaking server and have to restart the game just to get it to work again.

These fuckers lied to me that there'd be ethernet ports in the dorms. LIED TO ME.

Grief.exe

What would be a recommended all around Asp E setup for trading and combat?

16 for the bounty is nice. Should finish 50 in the gold one too. All going to my FAS fund.

The FAS looks to pack a punch.

Two large hardpoints which should be easy to aim since they are on the same plane, above and below the cockpit. With two mediums underneath the wing.

Can't wait to try one out in one of these Bounty CGs.

Nah I never thought that it wasn't intentional. I was just confused as to where you were at when it happened because you said you were sitting next to a star and I thought you were in supercruise which would have made it impossible for him to hit you. If you were at a nav beacon though that makes a lot more sense.

Here's a tip for the next time you end up getting chased (by an npc or player) don't just jump into supercruise from the spot you are at. Jump to a completely different system instead. Jumping into supercruise into the same system you are in will cause you to get inhibited by other ships and take longer, plus it is easier to follow you. If you jump to another system you can't be mass locked by ships and it is a lot more difficult to follow you that way.

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably give it another try since it's more fun to see random people flying around

Dizzy-4U

It feels really nice not having to worry about power consumption. Almost everything grade A on the Python with some nice weapons and only 92%. Coming from the Vulture where power management felt like a mini-game in the middle of the battle, this is a relief.

Absolutely worth every credit. So much power.
Absolutely, I'm realizing that now.

It feels really nice not having to worry about power consumption. Almost everything grade A on the Python with some nice weapons and only 92%. Coming from the Vulture where power management felt like a mini-game in the middle of the battle, this is a relief.

Absolutely, I'm realizing that now.
With some clever module management you can really unleash some hell. The Python can hit so hard and for a lengthy bit of time.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

Yeah this is why I love the courier as a fighter type ship, it's got soooo much power out put to play with.

Got 40 Million Cr. from doing the bounty hunting and gold delivery CG. Pretty sweet.

I'm definitely gonna be keeping up with these CG, it seems they are the best way to make money, All this money is gonna go to my Anaconda fund.

Grief.exe

I'm loving these community goals. I had a blast seeing the community flying around Sullivan Dock and the various hazardous areas collecting bounties. Can't wait for the next one.

50 mil for the Python 7A power plant. Aaaaaaaand I'm poor again.

I saw the Python used a lot in this latest Bounty CG. It seems like a good all around upgrade, for a trade or bounty CG with a pretty solid jump range, good maneuverability, and firepower.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll keep a look out for it.

It has one of the highest jump ranges in the game and can be fitted with a good amount of cargo as well. Seems like a good upgrade for these exploration/trade based CGs.

JambiBum

Someone should donate me 21 modular terminals so I can unlock this engineer pls. K thx.

Also for all of you new people, here is a link to the GAF Elite discord I made. It's kind of dead because I haven't shared the link in a while but hopefully more people jump in.

DrBo42

Someone should donate me 21 modular terminals so I can unlock this engineer pls. K thx.

Also for all of you new people, here is a link to the GAF Elite discord I made. It's kind of dead because I haven't shared the link in a while but hopefully more people jump in.

Not even attempting that garbage until they introduce storage.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I've been using that for the cg and man...so much fun. Shields for days and endless power.

Dude yeah, I never want to fly anything else now!

I threw on bi-weaves and a SCB and it's just ridiculous how long it takes for my shields to break, and that's assuming if they can even keep up.

FutbolBat

Banned
Asp Explorer is a good all around upgrade, unless you are looking for something that can maximize the cargo.

Finally A-rated everything on the AspX and its much better for combat. Question, is it worth it to go for the 14mil+ hull packages? I have the military grade and its ok but was wondering if I should go ahead and put the mirrored on.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Finally A-rated everything on the AspX and its much better for combat. Question, is it worth it to go for the 14mil+ hull packages? I have the military grade and its ok but was wondering if I should go ahead and put the mirrored on.

I'd stick with military. Covers you for both energy and kinetic weapons.

Bubba77

Im about 40 -45 hours into this game. I have a well equipped cobra mk3. I do a ton of delivery missions and bounty hunt sometimes. I want to start making more money. I seem to be randomly doing cargo runs. Should I concentrate on doing missions in a few systems in a loop? Does that lead to more money because of better rep giving more lucrative missions?

It seems the best way to make money is just to do these community goals which I have yet to attempt.

vector824

Jealous of this CG money you guys are rolling in.. I'll have to try the next one.

Im about 40 -45 hours into this game. I have a well equipped cobra mk3. I do a ton of delivery missions and bounty hunt sometimes. I want to start making more money. I seem to be randomly doing cargo runs. Should I concentrate on doing missions in a few systems in a loop? Does that lead to more money because of better rep giving more lucrative missions?

It seems the best way to make money is just to do these community goals which I have yet to attempt.

I'm in the same boat as you guys. Reading all these CG posts has got me envious. I have about $5mil in the bank with a decently rated Cobra mk3 also. I'm ranking up for the Feds and pledged my allegiance to them, waiting on my rank progression mission now... any idea how long it takes to pop up? This whole ranking system is very vague.

Can I point out that just taking screenshots is as much fun to me as anything else in this game?

Sibylus

Banned
Worked in tandem with an AI Viper IV and my own, we managed to take down a number of targets including four Pythons. Shields busted a few times and I lost a lot of hull, but I managed to stay alive and keep active. I feel like I finally clicked with this ship.

Bubba77

I'm in the same boat as you guys. Reading all these CG posts has got me envious. I have about $5mil in the bank with a decently rated Cobra mk3 also. I'm ranking up for the Feds and pledged my allegiance to them, waiting on my rank progression mission now... any idea how long it takes to pop up? This whole ranking system is very vague.

Can I point out that just taking screenshots is as much fun to me as anything else in this game?

How do u rank up for feds? Just do a lot of missions in their territory?

vector824

Go to a Fed system and start choosing missions from contacts that are aligned with the Federation. Eventually your ranking percentage goes up, but the issue I am having (I think) is not receiving a "rank progression" mission to fulfill to jump from 'none' to 'recruit'.

There is also mission stacking, which means switching between online and solo while in a station picking missions, which I have yet to be successful at.

zorbsie

I want to go explore the galaxy in my Asp. Where should I go?

Head to a nebula outside of the bubble.

That's the idea. You can usually find a couple of systems that have mission back and forth between them. Just keep stacking them up. Data deliveries are the easiest to do. Tun is a good place to start.

Love taking shots in this game. Always going to the outside camera.

The Cowboy

I need to work on my Plasma Cannon aim, I was taking on a wing of ships in my Python and went for a PC shot to finish the job on a gunship - it missed and went strait past the target, it then hit the federal agent Anaconda i didn't see in the chaos behind it (whoops).

Legged it strait outa there as soon as the warning came up, they were not best pleased with me :D.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
After cashing in the two CGs I can get the AspX and head off for to see an Engineer.

Edit: damn, the cockpit on the AspX is awesome!

I finally got an Anaconda with my CG money! I could have bought it ages ago but I wanted to keep all my older ships like Clipper, FDL, Asp, Courier, etc. and still own this ship. :p I love having a large collection of ships. What a beauty....

87C3E90F8D250BC1C522EBB06193492BECECFEB2

4FE6BEC6F673D41E723089E844F80C1DDAC0200B

CD9D68CD0A8F31B6872BC86DA558F087BBAA2651

joecanada

Its been a productive couple of Community Goals.

Now I just need to save for the military bulkheads :D.

Yep. Managed to hit top 30 in lavian brandy, top 50 in bounties and top 75 gold. Went from 45 million to about 98.... Not bad.

Honestly for those of you jumping in I found it much easier to stay top 75 in three than maintenance of top 50 in any one.

Does anyone know how weapon caliber works ? I consistently find multicannon better than regular Canon even on large ships

Top Bottom