• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
And the Federal Assault Ship is a Vulture on steroids :D With four hardpoints that is

Those are damn scary lol, they feel like a baby FdL. However the scariest thing and I think the first time I just out right bailed on a fight was vs a SEVEN multicannon fit federal gunship.

I saw it fire once said NOPE!
All pips to sys
Charged FSD
Picked a random star
Dumped chaff constantly
And just dipped right outta there.

joecanada

Those are damn scary lol, they feel like a baby FdL. However the scariest thing and I think the first time I just out right bailed on a fight was vs a SEVEN multicannon fit federal gunship.

All pips to sys
Charged FSD
Picked a random star
Dumped chaff constantly

Uhhh yeah that would make me shit my pants too...
I actually stuck 6 MC on my asp just for defense as they use least power for punch... Oh it may have two turreted cannons can't recall now .

All pips to sys
Charged FSD
Picked a random star
Dumped chaff constantly

lol

Really want a FAS, on the last rank before CPO. Isn't the Gunship a lot slower than the FAS?

Volimar

If you want to do the combat bond missions for the CGs, I suggest playing solo. There are so many commanders in those zones right now that you can easily accidentally hit someone and end up with your NPC faction turning on you.

If you want to do the combat bond missions for the CGs, I suggest playing solo. There are so many commanders in those zones right now that you can easily accidentally hit someone and end up with your NPC faction turning on you.
I usually do a high res in Solo or a private group.

Sibylus

Banned
Annnnnnd I've reached Marquis with the empire.

One.
Rank.
Away.
From.
My.
Cutter.

I really want that Clipper. I'm almost done with Master! ...
tears.gif

I'm making up for lost time, though. I was an Outsider last week. Anything more effective than shotgunning multiple mission board tasks to same systems at once?

Sitting at 30% into Marquis and had to pack it in for the night. I'll get to Duke tomorrow for sure.

I really want that Clipper. I'm almost done with Master! ...
tears.gif

I'm making up for lost time, though. I was an Outsider last week. Anything more effective than shotgunning multiple mission board tasks to same systems at once?

I've been throwing money at the Empire to grind from Baron to Duke. The Fehu system has a lot of donation missions and I've been logging and donating. It's like ~90-100mil a rank. It's much faster than doing actual courier or data delivery stacks, but the downside is that you're just spending your own money and not getting any mission rewards either. Give and take. But I don't have the patience to grind out 20 stacks of deliveries haha.

P. S. The Clipper is fantastic and I hope you enjoy it once you get there!

Sibylus

Banned
Sitting at 30% into Marquis and had to pack it in for the night. I'll get to Duke tomorrow for sure.

I've been throwing money at the Empire to grind from Baron to Duke. The Fehu system has a lot of donation missions and I've been logging and donating. It's like ~90-100mil a rank. It's much faster than doing actual courier or data delivery stacks, but the downside is that you're just spending your own money and not getting any mission rewards either. Give and take. But I don't have the patience to grind out 20 stacks of deliveries haha.

Deliveries it is, then. I don't have that sort of pocket change lol. I do donate when I see them though (they usually cap out at 300k at my rank).

Deliveries it is, then. I don't have that sort of pocket change lol. I do donate when I see them though (they usually cap out at 300k at my rank).
Yeah they'll keep going up. I believe these are the varying amounts (you'd think I would have these memorized by now lol):

But yeh if you don't have money to toss into the trash then your best bet is stacking data/boom deliveries to the same systems.

The Cutter is the last ship I want to buy for now, so I'm not too worried about blowing the funds. I'll be saving from there on out until the next content update.

joecanada

Was getting pissed off half the cg czs say ceasefire... Finally found active one but cap ships jumped in. Managed to take two fed ships , a cruiser and a viper before taking massive damage. Also did a strafing run on cap ship but that seemed to be a mistake lol. Can't help but wonder if there's a huge bounty on cap ships though lol. It was down to 95%

the crappy fsd actually charge faster? Works better for combat . Taking my vulture out to the cg was torture.... Way back that things getting fuel tanks and better scoop .

Repo Man

After having played No Man's Sky, going back to Elite has REALLY opened my eyes and made me appreciate Elite more especially now that I bought Horizons which seems really cool. Really liking the planetary stuff and theres still a lot of stuff I haven't really done like properly get into combat and mining.

Burny

Any capable game designers here form the UK, who want to apply for the design lead at Frontier and wash the existing designers' heads a bit? I think they could need a dose of skill among their design ranks. :p

Suggested maxim for any upcoming design decisions as well as sanitizing existing designs: Don't waste player time!

After having played No Man's Sky, going back to Elite has REALLY opened my eyes and made me appreciate Elite more especially now that I bought Horizons which seems really cool. Really liking the planetary stuff and theres still a lot of stuff I haven't really done like properly get into combat and mining.

Yeah same for me. I bought Horizons yesterday and had a go driving the buggy round on a moon. Was fun. Also got a Vive and it is unbelievable how immersed you feel with it.

JambiBum

I had a long post written up about why delayed ship transfers are such a stupid idea but then I realized that all I really wanted to say was fuck people who are against instant transfers.

I had a long post written up about why delayed ship transfers are such a stupid idea but then I realized that all I really wanted to say was fuck people who are against instant transfers.
Lol. It really is silly to argue against instant transfers. Don't like it? Don't use it.

zorbsie

If I do the combat bonds CG for the federation, will it help with my rank? Or does it only affect my rep with them? I'm about 2200Ly out of the bubble, not sure I want to go back just yet. But if it helps my rank I'll truck back and join the fight.

If I do the combat bonds CG for the federation, will it help with my rank? Or does it only affect my rep with them? I'm about 2200Ly out of the bubble, not sure I want to go back just yet. But if it helps my rank I'll truck back and join the fight.
Pretty sure combat cgs don't affect rank at all. Only rep.

They really need to change that.

Twinduct

Do I need to join a faction before I can actually rack up Combat Bonds for this CQ? Or can I just go in and the AI will figure out I'm on their side if I shoot their target?

StonedRider

Do I need to join a faction before I can actually rack up Combat Bonds for this CQ? Or can I just go in and the AI will figure out I'm on their side if I shoot their target?

You can chose the faction when you jumped in Combat Zone in systems panel (right panel) in Functions tab.

Now people are suggesting that you should transfer ships FROM the system they are in to a new system instead of requesting the ship be brought to where you are. So the idea is I would still need to travel to the system with the ship I want and then make the trip myself. What the fuck is wrong with people and this QOL update? Why add painful obstacles? The base example they used for this feature wouldn't even work with that implementation. I wish they wouldn't have let the community stew over this and let them dilute a simple convenience feature into something overly convoluted and impractical. If you aren't wasting time jumping and jumping and jumping to move your ship or at least wasting time waiting for a ship to pretend to jump and jump and jump, the galaxy falls apart.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
If FD only wants ship/module transfers to be "data" transfer, as in the ship magically appears at the station, then it should be instant.

But isnt there a way to add a layer of gameplay with this by actually creating a haul ship, with huge jumping ranges, having the physical ship on it and allows potential pirates to steal it? Very long jump distances (so even if you are far out, it would not take too long) and crazy defenses, only very organised pirates could even bother. No? I kind of liked the idea of haulers shipping ships in EVE online.

The way AI works and the instancing system works, I don't see how AI driven freighters would work. AI persistence isn't a thing. They exist in instances that players are in and in 99.999999% of systems there are no instances, so any travelling would be simulated. Basically just a timer. They would need a dedicated server system, keeping track of every movement of a ship and then what if there is more than one instance in a system that the freighter just happens to be in? Spawn the AI in both? What if both are pirated? And then the practicality of hunting the ships, they would just be high waking and high waking to stars and with a long jump distance, how do you reasonable intercept one without extreme luck?

Burny

No? I kind of liked the idea of haulers shipping ships in EVE online.

No. As Felix says, Elite doesn't work that way, because unlike Eve (which is a subscription based MMO), there is no persistent real time server backing Elite's word.

In other words: Elite works a bit like GTA. Anyhere in its world where no player is, there is no real time simulation of the environment. No people walking, no cars driving, nothing. Once a player is in a certain spot, the "universe" around them is generated. Ship spawns, asteroids, unknow signal sources. In GTA terms, the part of the map where you are is "streamed into existence". In Elite's terms: the data and state of the system into which you're high waking is retrieved from ther server and your game client either joyns another player's instance or opens its own instance, generates all bodies in the system, generates USS, spawns NPCs etc. loads any combat zones. But that's only visible to the player in their instance and other players in the same instance. Once all players leave the instace, e.g. by high waking out, logging out or otherwise, nothing in the instance is persisted. It "dies" with the last player leaving it. Advantage: No monthly subscription. Disadvantage: Instance shenanigans (players not ending up in the same instance), no persistence of the "soft" instance entities, like AI ships, debris, USS etc..

The only thing that persists across instances is "hard" data. E.g. any data attached to your commander and account (your ship, your equipment, your combat stats, bounties) as well as some background simulation data. E.g. the system's data istself, which are the controlling factions of a system, in which state are they, is there a combat zone, who discovered the system and its bodies, what ships/equipment and wares does a station have in stock. This data however is synced to a background server and then retrieved, when a new instance is created in the system, so players in the instance can see their effect. The market data also is influenced by a background simulation. No idea if it's happening in real time or is updated in timed intervals, but whether a faction gains or looses influence or gets into various states of boom, famine, war etc. is computed in the game's backend (server software). That's however a far cry from simulating a long distance hauler travelling through the galaxy in real time, because that would require a server constantly simulating the movement of that hauler in real time. Basically: "running its own instance". Potentially for every single player who just happens to transfer a ship currently.

At least that's what I gathered from playing and observing Elite.

JambiBum

Now people are suggesting that you should transfer ships FROM the system they are in to a new system instead of requesting the ship be brought to where you are. So the idea is I would still need to travel to the system with the ship I want and then make the trip myself. What the fuck is wrong with people and this QOL update? Why add painful obstacles? The base example they used for this feature wouldn't even work with that implementation. I wish they wouldn't have let the community stew over this and let them dilute a simple convenience feature into something overly convoluted and impractical. If you aren't wasting time jumping and jumping and jumping to move your ship or at least wasting time waiting for a ship to pretend to jump and jump and jump, the galaxy falls apart.

Yep. This is what my original post was about before I decided against it. Every time you question someone who wants to add some dumb caveat to ship transfers they come back with one of three responses.

1. My immersion demands that there be a timer to make it seem more realistic.
- Excuse me Mr Future man, you are playing a game set a thousand years from now. Please tell me more how realistic things should be.

2. If you don't like the timer you can just do something else instead.
- Why would I want to do something else when what I want to do is play the game I enjoy instead of waiting on some damn timer that you felt was needed because you can play for 40 hours a week.

3. It will make it unfair because griefers can move their combat ships easier and go pew pew all over my face.
- Bitch you play solo anyway so stop complaining.

Pomerlaw

Well... Even if the delayed transfer wins it, it will still make moving ships easier and faster in the game than it is now...

Cool shot I took yesterday, very Mars-like :

H3hiC5h.png

Some Yttrium to be found near those mountains.

bj00rn_

Banned
Yep. This is what my original post was about before I decided against it. Every time you question someone who wants to add some dumb caveat to ship transfers they come back with one of three responses.

1. My immersion demands that there be a timer to make it seem more realistic.
- Excuse me Mr Future man, you are playing a game set a thousand years from now. Please tell me more how realistic things should be.

2. If you don't like the timer you can just do something else instead.
- Why would I want to do something else when what I want to do is play the game I enjoy instead of waiting on some damn timer that you felt was needed because you can play for 40 hours a week.

3. It will make it unfair because griefers can move their combat ships easier and go pew pew all over my face.
- Bitch you play solo anyway so stop complaining.

I saw your first post, rolled my eyes and moved on. Then again with the attitude and the "you" rhetoric.. You know, it is actually possible to just let other people have opinions that differs from yours. You don't have to be an ass about it.

joecanada

I still haven't seen anyone answer the question, why the fuck would I wait AND pay when I could just buy a ship where I am and make money then sell it? in the amount of time I was waiting I could make the resell penalty money back two - ten times over. the only exception was if I was buying a conda or something real expensive but why would you transfer that ? just fly it with a top notch FSD.

Volimar

I really like the slider idea. No delay costing more than a delay. It's really the best scenario imo.

Like nobody is finding tech docs or military plans.

JambiBum

I saw your first post, rolled my eyes and moved on. Then again with the attitude and the "you" rhetoric.. You know, it is actually possible to just let other people have opinions that differs from yours. You don't have to be an ass about it.

I'd be fine with letting people have whatever opinion they want on the matter if they didn't have the dumbest reasons to try and back their opinion up. If you've seen some of the ways people who are for delays react to anyone who wants it to be instant you would understand my snark. If you fall into the delay category (which I'm assuming you do) give me a reason why a delay is a good thing without falling into one of the three categories I mentioned. If you can do that then I'll gladly take it into consideration and we can have a civil debate about it if you want to. Otherwise if whatever your reasoning is does fall into one of those categories then I'll just roll my eyes and move on.

Reckheim

I'd be fine with letting people have whatever opinion they want on the matter if they didn't have the dumbest reasons to try and back their opinion up. If you've seen some of the ways people who are for delays react to anyone who wants it to be instant you would understand my snark. If you fall into the delay category (which I'm assuming you do) give me a reason why a delay is a good thing without falling into one of the three categories I mentioned. If you can do that then I'll gladly take it into consideration and we can have a civil debate about it if you want to. Otherwise if whatever your reasoning is does fall into one of those categories then I'll just roll my eyes and move on.

Your answer to one of the complains was literally - 'Bitch you play solo anyway so stop complaining'.

Arguing for a delay on here is obviously pointless. People have differing opinions, that's life, no need to berate people because of it.

JambiBum

Your answer to one of the complains was literally - 'Bitch you play solo anyway so stop complaining'.

Arguing for a delay on here is obviously pointless. People have differing opinions, that's life, no need to berate people because of it.

That was my answer to that complaint because that is the most ridiculous complaint to instant transfer there is. The people that use that as a reason are the people that want to avoid player interaction in the first place. Thankfully the people in this thread go about things completely differently (most of the time) than people on reddit and the official forums. My snark wasn't directed at anyone here (unless you fall into that category I guess) but more just the general attitude that has manifested in those places. If people want to have a discussion about instant vs delay with sound reasoning I will gladly do that here. Snark not included.

Augustiner

Neo Member
how do you even find them? I would have no idea where to even start?

I would really like to know this since I can't really do the combat goal with my ship. I've tried visiting different stations and looking at commodities, but I don't think it's there. Scanning things doesn't seem to do anything either. Can't find anything on the game wiki's either. They should really add a description to the quest explaining what is required.

Spat_triate

I really like the slider idea. No delay costing more than a delay. It's really the best scenario imo.

Like nobody is finding tech docs or military plans.

It's brilliant. I'm disappointed in Frontier, you'd think that a group of designers would have come up with more than the binary choice of no delay/delay.

There is so much they can do here to limit exploitation. Even in their proposed implementation, A FDL 200ly away with upgraded everything will take the same time as a C rated Sidewinder.

If they really want to limit players 'beaming' in gunboats why not just scale delivery (or rebuild) time with respect to Module class/rating? That way a large vessel with even A/B rated XXL hardpoints would take longer than a smaller one.

I'm sure there are a ton of other better sugesstions that allow for a better experience for most CMDRs.

lol

Really want a FAS, on the last rank before CPO. Isn't the Gunship a lot slower than the FAS?
I think it's as slow as the Dropship but with more guns.
Indeed. The FAS is damn fast. Especially in FA OFF mode. Even pitching is no problem at all.

The Fehu system has a lot of donation missions and I've been logging and donating. It's like ~90-100mil a rank.
Need to check this out. Sounds good.

Saganator

Will I get wrecked by the AI in combat CQ in a stock Vulture with out any upgraded mods? I haven't played since engineer update and haven't upgraded anything yet.

Top Bottom