• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Effect

Made it back to the bubble and yup what I expected to happen most certainly did happen. As soon as I entered a system with an outpost I was interdicted almost immediately. The very second I jumped in I got a message from an NPC. Barely had time to move away from the sun before I got hit by him. Submitted and boasted away. My point defense was working overtime. I think the thing reloaded three times before I could jump away to the next system which thankfully was my last jump I had to make. I was sitting there wondering what the hell they could be shooting at me to cause it to operate like that.

I was also considering dumping some weapons and defense to make the trip quicker. What I did though was downgrade my shield to fit another 32 cargo module. Thankful they held as long as they did. I was super close to just not taking a shield at all to fit more cargo but thought better of it and I'm glad I didn't do that. I'm pretty sure this npc also had a plasma accelerator as well. I recognized the glow of the shot as it missed me. That would have likely crippled me if i had no shields if it hit.

I'm also thinking about and likely will order a Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X Flight Stick. My Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick has finally started to break down I think. There were more then a few times where it just wasn't responsive as I tried to push forward and pull back on the stick. The buttons were fine but the stick itself might on its way out. Will check again tonight see if it's still acting like that and then put the order in since it's only $50 on Amazon.

For those that have gone from stick and keyboard to hotas how much different was the experience? Did you still end up using the keyboard as much as you did before or less so, or not at all?

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
For those that have gone from stick and keyboard to hotas how much different was the experience? Did you still end up using the keyboard as much as you did before or less so, or not at all?

I went from a Xbox pad to the T-Flight and only use the keyboard and/or mouse for occasional menus or map screens. I wish it had more hats, but with two shift buttons it can do everything I need.

Saganator

Like how stock we talking? Fresh off the shipyard? I only have a slightly moddod multi cannon and do just fine.

Well I have all A rated internals, a large burst laser and large cannon, before the engineer update it was very capable. I just remember hearing about better AI w/ upgraded modules making things more difficult.

Now people are suggesting that you should transfer ships FROM the system they are in to a new system instead of requesting the ship be brought to where you are. So the idea is I would still need to travel to the system with the ship I want and then make the trip myself. What the fuck is wrong with people and this QOL update? Why add painful obstacles? The base example they used for this feature wouldn't even work with that implementation. I wish they wouldn't have let the community stew over this and let them dilute a simple convenience feature into something overly convoluted and impractical. If you aren't wasting time jumping and jumping and jumping to move your ship or at least wasting time waiting for a ship to pretend to jump and jump and jump, the galaxy falls apart.

lmao this one is good

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

I went from mouse and kb to the t flight and the improvements were notable. Mainly having far more direct control over the throttle helped me maintain the dead center of the blue zone way better while also quickly adjusting speed.

On top of that being able to move on 4 axis at once while firing my guns is amazing. With my current control scheme I can comfortably pitch up, yaw left, roll right, laterally thrust down while manipulating my throttle and firing, and if needed deploying defensive counter measures.

If you need tips for key binding the t flight let me know! It's got a lot more to offer than you might think.

I have a particular opinion about that other "we are the biggest and baddest etc." space game that did the incredible feat of showing a scripted fetch quest after 4 years of development and 120$ Mio. of funding which whipped its crowd into an euphoric frenzy. Something to do with a whole lot of hot air. ;)

I'm still clinging to the hope that at some point in the coming years, we'll get horizontal displacement or something with a similar result, as hardware progresses. Having not even partial and sporadic overhangs just takes so much out of the believability of vertical landscape features.

screen_1449354293gmknj.jpg

screen_1449354688kzk4l.jpg

screen_1449354909u0k4g.jpg

screen_1449355544bik33.jpg

Is this necessary? it did more then just show that.

Anyways can't to see something like this in elite and other space games, wonder how expensive it would be though.

Septimius

I'm still starting out in this game, and I've tried to do some missions where I was gonna get some unique military plans. I understood these would appear in USS's, but after some hours of being in the right system and cruising around for USS's, I gave up. Could someone say the most reliable way to find USS's and if there's anything else I'm doing wrong?

I'm still starting out in this game, and I've tried to do some missions where I was gonna get some unique military plans. I understood these would appear in USS's, but after some hours of being in the right system and cruising around for USS's, I gave up. Could someone say the most reliable way to find USS's and if there's anything else I'm doing wrong?
When you drop into a system look for the Nav beacon, go there and scan the actual beacon and it will tell you around which planet to locate the target.

Augustiner

Neo Member
I'm also thinking about and likely will order a Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X Flight Stick. My Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick has finally started to break down I think. There were more then a few times where it just wasn't responsive as I tried to push forward and pull back on the stick. The buttons were fine but the stick itself might on its way out. Will check again tonight see if it's still acting like that and then put the order in since it's only $50 on Amazon.

I went from using an Xbox controller to a HOTAS setup, and it was definitely worth the upgrade. While the Xbox controller was fine, and perfectly functional, the HOTAS setup gives way more precise ship control. Docking, for example, was noticeably more simple with less failed approach attempts for me. It also just feels more intuitive since you are flying a space craft.

If you are already considering the T.Flight HOTAS X, you may want to look into the HOTAS 4 instead. It's an almost identical product which works on PC, but branded with the Playstation logo and functionality. When reading about it myself, it apparently has an improved dead-zone when compared to the HOTAS X (https://www.reddit.com/r/hotas/comments/47oe50/has_anyone_tried_the_tflight_hotas_4_any/).

Mr. Bad Example

Neo Member
Finally got myself to a Python. Oh, man. Over twice the cargo capacity of my Asp Explorer. I was all like

MORE CARGO BAYS

MORE

STRIP OUT THE LIFE SUPPORT GEAR AND PUT A CARGO BAY IN THERE

WEAPON HARDPOINTS I THINK YOU MEAN EXTERNAL CARGO BAYS THANK YOU GOOD DAY SIR

...I was a little less enthusiastic on my way back from Sothis, though. Turns out a couple of hundred tons of cargo reduces your jump distance by quite a bit. In my Asp, getting back 400-plus light years to make my deliveries took maybe three or so refueling stops...in the Python, I made at least five or six. I may have to just bite the bullet and re-invest in a fuel scoop. It's just too tedious to do Sothis runs with that many stops, no matter how much money that sweet, sweet space poop is earning me.

Septimius

I went from using an Xbox controller to a HOTAS setup, and it was definitely worth the upgrade. While the Xbox controller was fine, and perfectly functional, the HOTAS setup gives way more precise ship control. Docking, for example, was noticeably more simple with less failed approach attempts for me. It also just feels more intuitive since you are flying a space craft.

If you are already considering the T.Flight HOTAS X, you may want to look into the HOTAS 4 instead. It's an almost identical product which works on PC, but branded with the Playstation logo and functionality. When reading about it myself, it apparently has an improved dead-zone when compared to the HOTAS X (https://www.reddit.com/r/hotas/comments/47oe50/has_anyone_tried_the_tflight_hotas_4_any/).

I keep seeing these come up when it comes to HOTAS, but is there really nothing better? I mean, I got my X52 like six years ago, and I'm assuming the build quality must've dropped since then, since those I know that got it then, too, have never had problems. But, I mean, the X52 seems to have so much more functionality, is it really discarded that badly due to build quality?

joecanada

I would really like to know this since I can't really do the combat goal with my ship. I've tried visiting different stations and looking at commodities, but I don't think it's there. Scanning things doesn't seem to do anything either. Can't find anything on the game wiki's either. They should really add a description to the quest explaining what is required.

Hey I looked on a wiki and it appears these are most commonly dropped by cargo , (blueprints and intelligence.)... So I guess you could use cargo limpets but what I'm gonna do is hit the nav beacon and shoot down wanted ships and then check their dumped cargo. I'll let you know if I find anything.

Augustiner

Neo Member
I keep seeing these come up when it comes to HOTAS, but is there really nothing better? I mean, I got my X52 like six years ago, and I'm assuming the build quality must've dropped since then, since those I know that got it then, too, have never had problems. But, I mean, the X52 seems to have so much more functionality, is it really discarded that badly due to build quality?

There are much better quality HOTAS options I came across, but nothing I could find for a similar price and functionality to the HOTAS X/4. I have not used an X52, but nothing stood out as poor build quality on the HOTAS 4 I bought. Sure it's plastic and looks cheap, but I have no complaints about the performance over the last week or two I have been using it.

I posted earlier in this thread asking about this (http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_US/П...w-gameplay-experiences-announced-new-t16000m-) which is supposed to be a better quality option to the HOTAS X/4, but it is also twice the price. I think another member suggested it could be delayed as well.

Augustiner

Neo Member
Hey I looked on a wiki and it appears these are most commonly dropped by cargo , (blueprints and intelligence.)... So I guess you could use cargo limpets but what I'm gonna do is hit the nav beacon and shoot down wanted ships and then check their dumped cargo. I'll let you know if I find anything.

Oh? Do you have a link you could share?

I thought this goal was non-combat oriented. If what you say is correct, I'll probably have to get a different ship, as I have no weapons on my current cargo transport setup :p

Bubba77

There are much better quality HOTAS options I came across, but nothing I could find for a similar price and functionality to the HOTAS X/4. I have not used an X52, but nothing stood out as poor build quality on the HOTAS 4 I bought. Sure it's plastic and looks cheap, but I have no complaints about the performance over the last week or two I have been using it.

I posted earlier in this thread asking about this (http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_US/П...w-gameplay-experiences-announced-new-t16000m-) which is supposed to be a better quality option to the HOTAS X/4, but it is also twice the price. I think another member suggested it could be delayed as well.

I love my x52 pro. Just enough buttons that i never have to use keyboard. Thats good because i play in VR.

Burny

no it's not and you're fanboy is showing.

A fanboy who's backed "that other game" for about 400$+, a grey market LTI ship included.

From what I've observed since backing in 2014, it's a train wreck alright.

Not that I don't perceive some of Elite's game design to be in a similarly unflattering state.

joecanada

Oh? Do you have a link you could share?

I thought this goal was non-combat oriented. If what you say is correct, I'll probably have to get a different ship, as I have no weapons on my current cargo transport setup :p

both are listed as salvage I believe? see here...

http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Commodities#Salvage

"Elite Dangerous Wiki

Salvage generally comes from (the destruction or pirating of) other ships and thus is often times marked stolen and illegal in most systems.

Ancient Artifacts Black Box Experimental Chemicals Military Plans Hatch Breaker Drone Prototype Tech Rare Artwork Rebel Transmissions Sap 8 Core Container Technical Blueprints Trade Data "

edit - well technically you could use any ship if you just poach people at nav beacons right? just gang up on people with the police and check out their dumped cargo, that's what I'm going to do but don't know if it will work... alternately if you could get a reprieve in a CZ you may find some crap.... maybe try to kill two birds with one stone do the combat cg and look through salvage for other crapola.

Septimius

I love my x52 pro. Just enough buttons that i never have to use keyboard. Thats good because i play in VR.

Exactly. That's what I feel. I feel the options people list in this thread lacks the buttons to keep it keyboard free, which my Elite Dangerous experience has been so far.

Patrick S.

Banned

I have an X45 I snagged off ebay for €30 a few years ago. It's like new and works perfectly fine, but to be honest I never use it. I play from the couch and unfortunately it's quite inconvenient to use :( If I ever decide to buy a decent monitor and play sitting in a chair again, the HOTAS will be the first thing I set up.

Widge

Bought an adder. Well that has shit all view from the cockpit!

Had one of those missions where it tells me to go to a nav beacon for more details. I got to the beacon but had absolutely no idea what to do next:

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
One fixed beam and a gimballed multi. Don't know where I picked it up but the beam has 25 dps, and the multi has a lvl capacity mod.

Oh damn that's pretty sexy lol, I'm amazed you can fit a beam on the vulture without the whole things powergrid just bursting into flames.

I was gonna run something like this for the CG but I never really felt like it was a sensible build.

Oh damn that's pretty sexy lol, I'm amazed you can fit a beam on the vulture without the whole things powergrid just bursting into flames.

I was gonna run something like this for the CG but I never really felt like it was a sensible build.

Yeah I have like .01 overhead lol. Have to run a 5C weave shield and one C, and E shield booster. It's combat only.

Bubba77

My fiancée thinks I looks silly enough sitting with my VR headset that I think she'd just croak of laughter if I started using voice commands, too

Sounds like my wife. Shes always tolerated me gaming but she cant get over how dumb i look when I play elite with rift/hotas.

Her and my daughter: stop looking at us! When i look right for the ship computer

Cutter really is a lovely ship. With some engineer upgrades she's far, far better. Still mostly a trader though.

Yeah that's what I bought it for. Trading and perhaps some exploration.. Though the Clipper is really damn fun to explore with as it is.

Fuel scoops pop out like that? Ooooooo I gotta check this out.

Just continuing my exploration tonight and ran across this landable world.. with rings!

Each ship has different style fuel scoops.

kennah

Ok, attempting to join in the community goal. Wish me luck and not blowing up!

EDIT: Well, that didn't last long. Definitely don't have a good enough ship for the pew pew pew.

Top Bottom