• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

DrBo42

If I ally with a group can I leave them to do community goals in others factions space?
Assuming you're talking about Powerplay yes. That's the only alignment that matters in space for an NPC response. You'll be hunted down by your previous faction though.

zorbsie

Voted instant. If I want to waste time there are plenty of grindy things in this game. Sometimes "realism" does not equal fun.

Volimar

Wow, I just logged back on and suddenly there's a station in Almagest, and the planet names are different. Weird.

Sirius Reach seems to be struggling. All they have is hydrogen fuel and biowaste and the only missions are like 13 donate missions.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So how do you get that ice over effect on the canopy ive seen in videos? By reducing your ships heat to lower than 12 degrees?

I'm guessing you need to shut everything down to do that

DrBo42

Voted instant. If I want to waste time there are plenty of grindy things in this game. Sometimes "realism" does not equal fun.
Pretty much. Feel like the mass of people on the FD forum don't agree though. The concerns voiced by them and repeated by Sandro are legitimate but honestly wait times don't fix them.

I am free of my modular terminal prison.

only to soon be bound by the Articulation Motor and Cracked Industrial Firmware prison. then the low storage space prison on small ships.

godbless o7

Pretty much. Feel like the mass of people on the FD forum don't agree though. The concerns voiced by them and repeated by Sandro are legitimate but honestly wait times don't fix them.

agreed on all counts.

The delay doesn't seem to be very long, and I can see the arguments for it, but I still voted instant.

Up to 100 minutes across the bubble is a long fucking time tbqh. That's longer than a lot of people's entire play session. For what, you know?

They buffed quantity of materials received from scanning and collecting, but some materials like Specialized Legacy Firmware and others, which are rewards for missions are not buffed and you get only one for each mission completed, as before.
Anyway, I am done with Engineers for a while, until they implement crafting component commodities storage.

Wanted to ask you - what is your preferred power distributor upgrade? Charge enhanced?

Charge enhanced and weapons enhanced.

Charge enhanced for ships that really need to keep boosting while shooting. Weapons enhanced for ships that don't need to.

FWIW, I put charge enhanced on my Cutter which needs to constantly boost. I put Weapons enhanced on my Corvette because it's very nimble to start with as well as on my Courier. I believe I put Weapons enhanced on my Anaconda though I can't remember at the moment.

I expect to put charge enhanced on my FdL, which I'm going to make into a silent runner hull tank. Since I'll be hull tanking, the only thing that will matter is being able to boost constantly and fire constantly. I'll fill every tiny hardpoint with heat sinks and go ham.

Oh also I decided that this courier is going to get level 3 weapons rolls instead of level 5. Ship simply doesn't have the storage capacity to hold the mats needed to roll the hardpoints to level 5, so I won't waste my time. Level 3 will be good. Grade 5 engine performance better than 520 while fully combat fit is pretty nice. After this ship, it's the FdL. I'm just gonna buy a new one and outfit it.

Pomerlaw

Then you voted wrong.
If they go with the instant option, they confirmed it will cost MORE. So you will have to "grind" for credits to move your ships travel.

Delayed transfer will be cheaper.

zorbsie

Then you voted wrong.
If they go with the instant option, they confirmed it will cost MORE. So you will have to "grind" for credits to move your ships travel.

But I have loads of money. Time is what I don't have.

Then you voted wrong.

lol, credits. they're giving out hundred million dollar CGs and you're worried about credits. I hope you really didn't vote for delayed. That'd be incredibly disappointing.

Grief.exe

Then you voted wrong.

That's not even a relevant argument since it would come down to opportunity cost. Even if they decide to balance instantaneous travel with a higher credit cost, you are still receiving that ship instantly. Meaning you have better use of your own time, which is valuable in the own right, but you can instantly use that ship to generate credits. Easily superseding whatever trivial amount they are going to charge.

I'm torn on transfer. On one hand having instant transfer is the best QoL update. I don't want to have to wait for a ship to come being anchored to a system for 90 mins. At the same I can appreciate the concern over griefers and stuff at like Jaques. if someone makes the trip then transfers in their warships they can make explorer's lives hell by fragging them.

That's why I go exploring in Elite in the first place: the sightseeing. I've long since hit Elite in rank, so I don't do it for credits anymore, I do it for the scenery. :)
Oh I agree, but on the other hand I wanna keep pressing on because I know there's so much more to see on the road ahead.

CkY2jXH.png

Powering down after a bit more exploring tonight, figured I'd park in orbit of this mess of a planet. Makes me wish we can do atmospheric landings, I'd love to see what he surface is like.

Hit 100% of Count but it wouldn't spawn me a naval mission so I kept donating until I finally got one. Once completed I found myself already at 19% of Earl.

I can do this. Lol.

Burny

I'm torn on transfer. On one hand having instant transfer is the best QoL update. I don't want to have to wait for a ship to come being anchored to a system for 90 mins. At the same I can appreciate the concern over griefers and stuff at like Jaques. if someone makes the trip then transfers in their warships they can make explorer's lives hell by fragging them.

Tell mehr, what would be the difference Witz griefers at Jacques in the had to wait a Day for the Transfer? The would simply grief another day. There will be also a cm ost associated with the transfer, potentially sorting out the tight ones.

The only relevant difference would be that an help would also be delayed a day.

SmartBase

There's hardly any point implementing ship transfers if there's a huge delay, might as well put those development resources to better use.

JambiBum

Tell mehr, what would be the difference Witz griefers at Jacques in the had to wait a Day for the Transfer? The would simply grief another day. There will be also a cm ost associated with the transfer, potentially sorting out the tight ones.

The only relevant difference would be that an help would also be delayed a day.

Burny were you drunk for this post? Typos all over the place. lol.

Burny

There's hardly any point implementing ship transfers if there's a huge delay, might as well put those development resources to better use.

But the hardcore community demands delayed ship transfers for immersions sake! *rollseyes*

And whoever is in charge of the design of Elite Dangerous should learn a thing or two about game design. :p

Admittedly, up to 100 minutes for a ship to cross the bubble is not hugely long, but long enough for me to put the game down. There's not really much I can do in Elite if I have to wait for 10-20 minutes and don't have the right ship for the job at hand.

Burny were you drunk for this post? Typos all over the place. lol.

*Gnargh!* Sorry. New phone keyboard, not yet configured, autocorrection, subway, thought I'd corrected the worst things. >.< Again:

"Tell me, what would be the difference with griefers at Jacques if they had to wait a day for the transfer? They would simply grief another day. There will be also a cost associated with the transfer, potentially sorting out the tight ones.

The only relevant difference would be that any help would also be delayed a day."

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
An FDL with only multicannons is quite a shredder, but when you run into an anaconda at full speed twice in a HazRes site when you can't quite cover insurance just means...

Well, Sidewinders are still cozy, right?

Volimar

Where my CGs at?!?!?

Also, did you know you can buy the Sothis crystalline gold and sell it at Sothis Mining and still make a nice profit? I had to dump mine to take on more cargo and expected a loss but still made 20,000 profit on just 6-8 units.

JambiBum

No CG yet?

I'm actually jumping on a plane those morning, hopefully I don't miss out on the fun.

Most of the time CGs don't get completed until later in the week. Part of the reason why they were completed so quickly this last time was because of the large payday + Thargoid factor + holiday. Don't expect most CGs to be completed that quickly.

StonedRider

Charge enhanced and weapons enhanced.

Charge enhanced for ships that really need to keep boosting while shooting. Weapons enhanced for ships that don't need to.

Great, thanks!

I went with Weapons enhanced on FdL and I liked it, but I want to boost more frequently, that is why I think about Charge enhanced now.
My AspE and Type-9 have Engines enhanced PD obviously (they have no weapons at all).

But I think I will replace Type-9 with Anaconda soon.

An FDL with only multicannons is quite a shredder, but when you run into an anaconda at full speed twice in a HazRes site when you can't quite cover insurance just means...

Well, Sidewinders are still cozy, right?

Did you break the rule number one?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Makes me wish we can do atmospheric landings, I'd love to see what he surface is like.

Atmospheric landings are coming. In time we will all be flying down to Earth like planets, gliding through the clouds and speeding over oceans, and we’ll nostalgically remember the time when we couldn’t, lol.

Burny

Atmospheric landings are coming. In time we will all be flying down to Earth like planets, gliding through the clouds and speeding over oceans, and we’ll nostalgically remember the time when we couldn’t, lol.

We'll be too busy complaining that there's nothing to do on the surface under astmosphere, and in my case, that there is still no horizontal displaycement. ;)

Widge

Fond memories of planetary landings on Frontier. Rubberbanding around planets as the docking computer went haywire, the hurtling towards a featureless polygon with no sense of scale or distance...

SmartBase

We'll be too busy complaining that there's nothing to do on the surface under astmosphere, and in my case, that there is still no horizontal displaycement. ;)

Doubt we'll ever get horizontal displacement, even that other space game that's supposed to be the most advanced thing ever doesn't utilise it.

Burny

Doubt we'll ever get horizontal displacement, even that other space game that's supposed to be the most advanced thing ever doesn't utilise it.

I have a particular opinion about that other "we are the biggest and baddest etc." space game that did the incredible feat of showing a scripted fetch quest after 4 years of development and 120$ Mio. of funding which whipped its crowd into an euphoric frenzy. Something to do with a whole lot of hot air. ;)

I'm still clinging to the hope that at some point in the coming years, we'll get horizontal displacement or something with a similar result, as hardware progresses. Having not even partial and sporadic overhangs just takes so much out of the believability of vertical landscape features.

screen_1449354293gmknj.jpg

screen_1449354688kzk4l.jpg

screen_1449354909u0k4g.jpg

screen_1449355544bik33.jpg

Dammit, Burny. Stop jading us with what could be.

In all seriousness, I have to think FD is, at the very least, aware of the lack of horizontal displacement in the Stellar Forge. Is it really that technically demanding? And will it always be? 2.0>2.1 gave us a significant planetary performance boost. I'm hoping that will become "standard"

It would be fantastic if it came with atmospheric landings, which sounds at least another year away. 3.0 seems to be pointing towards space legs.

Reckheim

Dammit, Burny. Stop jading us with what could be.

In all seriousness, I have to think FD is, at the very least, aware of the lack of horizontal displacement in the Stellar Forge. Is it really that technically demanding? And will it always be? 2.0>2.1 gave us a significant planetary performance boost. I'm hoping that will become "standard"

It would be fantastic if it came with atmospheric landings, which sounds at least another year away. 3.0 seems to be pointing towards space legs.

I'm still hoping to be able to land on planets this season that have active volcanism.

Reckheim

Confirmed for 2.2. But I'm not sure if volcanism will be limited to such fumeroles or we're looking at actual lava and volcanos. If so, then they haven't shown anything like that so far.

When they first mentioned it I was hoping we would be landing on the extremely hot black planets with obvious lava rivers.

Now that I think about it, i'd figure that would be a lot harder to implement then just some geysers.

StonedRider

Great screens, but I doubt we will ever see this in Elite:Dangerous. Hope to be wrong!

I somehow missed it, but looks like this voting about instant or delayed transfer is not about ship transfer only, but about modules transfer too.

Hate it.

Reckheim

Great screens, but I doubt we will ever see this in Elite:Dangerous. Hope to be wrong!

I somehow missed it, but looks like this voting about instant or delayed transfer is not about ship transfer only, but about modules transfer too.

Hate it.

I missed that too, did they confirm that module storage will be in 2.2? That would be awesome.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
9DAF42AAE71F2A441C85A0F6C734819EC16C509B

So I was able to get frost to appear on my ship by just shutting everything off except sensors and life support and waiting for the ship to cool down.

But this begs the question, how is the frost even forming outside the ship? Inside the ship makes sense since residual body heat + life support atmosphere could create enough condensation for frost to form.

However, the frost looks like it is on the outside. Which makes me kinda confused lmao.

jiiikoo

Banned
9DAF42AAE71F2A441C85A0F6C734819EC16C509B

So I was able to get frost to appear on my ship by just shutting everything off except sensors and life support and waiting for the ship to cool down.

But this begs the question, how is the frost even forming outside the ship? Inside the ship makes sense since residual body heat + life support atmosphere could create enough condensation for frost to form.

However, the frost looks like it is on the outside. Which makes me kinda confused lmao.

What ship is that? :eek:

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
I've got a 700m/s Courier I'm using for data missions. It's basically interdiction proof and incredibly fun to dock on outposts.

Effect

Think I'm done with Sothis at the moment. Going to make the trip back tonight (ran more intel deliveries last night) and grind some more within the bubble. I'm looking at the potential payouts I'm likely to make from my trip back and realized I can grind trade missions around 200K to 600K a mission from Rhea and the surrounding stations I was going to and perhaps make similar money in a similar amount of time it would take to make that long round trip, maybe even quicker if I don't have any problems. With those at most I was making 3 to 5 jumps to my locations. That number has gone up (from 2 to 3) as I got more cargo room from my Cobra to the Asp Explorer. I would be less bored and I'd have overall less risk. I'm still wary of being jumped on the trip back but going to be sure to leave Winter's faction before doing so because I just know I'm going to be pulled out of supercruise as soon as set foot in a populated system. That and I hate fuel scooping to be honest. It's not hard at all to do but I just find it annoying.

Once I get a bigger ship with better jump range then perhaps that outlook changes for the better. However in an Asp or even a Cobra it's not looking worthwhile when I realize how much time I'm going to be spending on this. It's not like it's a trip out to Maia where I was going with a specific purpose in mind to see the barnacles or to pick up meta alloy and perhaps never come back or not come back for a long time. As a regular thing it's looking less and less desirable at the moment.

Perhaps I should start looking at the CGs instead. I haven't really paid much attention to them when I think I should have and those seem to have more of a focus on them. Assuming they don't take me out to the middle of nowhere.

Top Bottom